Small World Editor Improvements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Timmiej93, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Timmiej93

Timmiej93 Member

First of all, let me say how wonderful it is for a company to update their game every year, especially in a game where people have a lot of money tied up in DLCs and 3rd party items.

However, for route builders in particular, the age of the game is starting to show. That's why I'd like to suggest some small changes that probably shouldn't be too hard to implement (depending on how the internals of the editor work of course), but which would make quite an impact for the usability of the world editor.

Having quick-lists persist throughout sessions.
    This may be the most important thing, which should be pretty easy to implement. With the thousands of different assets that most route builders have loaded, it's simply a pain to find the right objects for your needs. The quick lists help in that aspect, but having to repopulate the list after every restart makes them very unattractive to use.

Autosave
    Almost all route builders know to hit that F2 button as if it prints money, but everybody forgets things sometimes. Autosave would reduce some frustration.

Search
    This one is probably a bit more work, but being able to search through the loaded objects would really help as well.

Especially the quick lists would be a massive improvement for me personally. I'd love to hear from other people who dabble in the world editor about what they'd like to see.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I can only think of things in the scenario editor because I haven't world editted yet, but some form of "timetable" or "multi line map" would be helpful when trying to schedule multiple consists. For instance I have a freight train starting at Margam Yard going to Cardiff Central. There are three passing loops so remembering which consist is running at what time from which location is a pain (often involving a spreadsheet)

A better laid out system which runs from before player start to after player end would benefit these sorts of things immensely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Although it would pretty much require a brand-new editor, the current one is takes too long for making routes. Maybe an auto-populate feature or pre-built stations that simply attach to track?

4. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Current editor does not take too long to make a route. I made my 3 km long route in 3 days.

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's only 3km... That's not a whole route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

It's not, but it shows the development speed. I made it to see what it takes to make a functional route.