Birminham Cross-city: Timetable Deep Dive | Pre-order | Release Day Update

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Nov 8, 2022.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

upload_2022-11-8_16-14-3.jpg

Birmingham Cross-City release date update
    [​IMG]
    After reviewing the most recent build of the route overnight, we need a little more time to iron out a couple of lighting issues that the team have identified.

Whilst we are confident in providing a fix, as it is so close to release it does mean we need a couple of extra days to implement and test it ahead of submitting it to the respective platforms.

As a result, we will be delaying the release of the route by a couple of days, and moving the preview stream to next week.

This means:
    • Pre-order remains live today on Steam (and is available for pre-purchase now)
    • Release will move from Tuesday 15th to Thursday 17th November
    • The live stream preview for the route will now be Tuesday, 15th November, at 17:00 UTC

Thanks for your understanding. We want to ensure the finished product is as good as it can be, and the extra time will allow us to sort the issues we’ve seen today.

Timetable Deep Dive
    We have a new Timetable Deep Dive article taking you through all the fun nuances and layers you can look forward to on your Cross-City journey!

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

No comment that the price has been raised 20%?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So DTG pay their staff with Oreos and Gummi bears then?

Hentis

• Like Like x 9
  4. schorni

No, but you can say something about it when you're already doing it.
    That saves a lot of unnecessary trouble.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it's this cloud issue which was making areas brighter, station lights working based on light levels and the train lights illuminating something. Be good to understand more about what "lighting issues" is. Very vague.

6. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Light baking, predominantly in tunnels.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. DTG JD

• Like Like x 2
  8. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

As Rob mentioned, has the station lighting based on lighting illumination levels been implemented, or is it still relying on manual time inputs to turn on and off?

Also, has the cloud issue been fixed, where everything would go brighter when applying cloud?

• Like Like x 1
  9. schorni

What is fair or not is determined by DTG alone? Compared to the basic routes, the bottom line here is less route for more money. You can now question how "fair" that is.
    We'll see later what the consequences will be.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

11. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

I feel like we still should see a preview this weeks so we can see the difference

• Like Like x 3
  12. DTG JD

I believe it's the latter. This would be a core improvement as far as I'm aware, rather than a route-by-route thing.

It's not there for this release, no.

13. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

mmm, no preorder discount it seems, plus slightly confused about the starter pack...I initially thought it included the RHTT but having re-read the article, it doesn't (I think). Need to brush up on my verbal reasoning skills..

• Like Like x 2
  14. DTG JD

Starter pack doesn't contain the RHTT, no.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. shipbiulder#6875

shipbiulder#6875 New Member

Silly question but full formation HSTs regulary use the Lickley Incline on the XC services to the West Country. Why does it make out the stock moves having to use the Lickley Incline were special (apart from the fact they were GWR)?

• Like Like x 3
  16. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Tsc dlc has been $39.99 for the longest time so it's nothing new. Even other games have increased their prices and it is something we'll have to live with

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The old phrase quality not quantity springs to mind here.
    I am not concerned about spending an extra 5 quid because I have faith that DTG want to get this right and as I said in another thread I am sure a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into the production as it is looking marvelous from the screenshots.

Regarding the layers, all I can say is wow! I can't wait to take the Growlers up Lickey and the timetable seems as though it is going to be busy. Once again the lads on the timetable have delivered. Really looking forward to this now!

• Like Like x 1
  18. rennekton#1349

We don't know what. Maybe there will be routes that are higher quality and longer

19. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Nice to see some interesting light loco moves, not enough to tempt me as a day 1 purchase but interesting none the less. Also liking the varied freight layers, although not that keen on the 37's railtour, would have preferred to see a PW train in the hands of the 37 layered in

• Like Like x 4
  20. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

So the more layers you have, the more adverse signal aspects we can expect whilst driving? I take it that something else in our collection doesn't sub in for a missing layer , for example a different wagon for a wagon? I guess not for the later.

• Like Like x 1
  21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The new price is a little shocking but I think the time has come, so :)

/ A good decision with delaying the release day.
    / The next one GG with Deep Dive article.
    / Excitement raises slowly // as it should.

BR o7

22. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I like the layers being that are included, though with way less than 300 drivable services total, i still fear it will be very empty (the Cathcart vibes are STRONG).

It did mention some AI WCML traffic- any ideas how much traffic this might add? Will it make BNS look less empty?

• Like Like x 1
  23. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I want to take the kettles up lickey!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

You’ve answered your own question there, the special part is that they are GWR & not XC sets.

The layer is depicting GWR stock movements; not XC passenger operations.

25. schorni

As is well known, quality is always a thing with DTG. In general, the DLC have at release (partly also gross) failures that then take ages to be fixed.
    This has not improved over the years and therefore I do not see why this should suddenly be different. The price can not be the reason, since it is stated that it is due to higher operating costs. So not because that improves the quality of the DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  26. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think the popular term at present is "shrinkflation" (less for more). Hadn't picked up on the layers but still don't think that justifies the price tag.

The lack of a preorder discount also a bit stingy. Just *might* have been tempted at £27 but it seems Scrooge alive and well at DTG Towers, currently.

• Like Like x 3
  27. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed with the timeable and the layers!

Very happy it's the 2019 timetable, with 2tph from Lichfield Trent Valley to Bromsgrove AND same for Redditch, that will really make the route feel much richer.

All the layers look interesting, and glad the HST has been brought in in some small capacity.

Overall having a train every 10 minutes along the core section of the route should make it feel alive

my only question would be if there are gonna be any AI services, even static ones, at Birmingham New Street?

But overall this is a very promising route for me personally!

Katia

• Like Like x 6
  28. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

DTG, you get my money. Interesting Route, nice choice of new train, and cool time table. Variety will come with more trains, im willing to pay for loco dlcs.

• Like Like x 5
  29. matt#4801

Fair point maybe I was being a bit optimistic but the route hasn't released or been shown to us so we don't know for sure that they haven't turned a corner.
    I still think for 30 quid it's still good value though as at the village pub me and the wife could have a Sunday lunch, pudding and a couple of drinks for 30 quid or I was eyeing up a new flat cap for 30 quid. Also at the BP garage nearby I could get about 18 litres of petrol for £30 which with a big engine, windy roads and me at the wheel will only last me for about 70 miles if I'm lucky.

30. londonmidland

Kind of concerning you guys haven’t included the nice looking wet platforms visuals to this route, according to the screenshots that have been shared so far.

Please don’t tell me it’s something you ‘forgot’ to add when building the route?

upload_2022-11-8_19-57-23.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

glad to here dtg is working to iron out an issue they've identified.
    Prices increases are pretty much understandable as there's been a sustained increase in the prices of all sorts of goods on a macro level... this should not come as a surprise and dtg has to do what they can to keep up as a business.

• Like Like x 3
  32. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

DTG JD is this being ignored? I have requested this earlier to be looked into as we can make the adjustments through Creators Club if DTG don't want to do it. Can you please raise this with the board.

• Like Like x 3
  33. alexjjones6024

Mate, the HST is coming to creators club soon.. if they layer it for now on an hourly service, we can whack on a XC livery and then you're laughing.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

If the starter pack is the same price as the route on its own it is like they are giving TSW3 away for free. When it first came out there was a £5 difference which was the price of the training centre. It's a little odd this has disappeared.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Oops I mispelt center .... :D

36. matt#4801

No looked fine to me, though you spelt it wrong here.

• Like Like x 2
  37. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, i just dont like it when the progress line is going backwards...., really ??

Whats so difficult about new features becoming a standard for future routes? Instead brilliant creations like the riesa dresden night lighting remains as a demo. No other route came up to this standard.

Now the same with water effects on platform?

Not a fan of cuts.

• Like Like x 10
  38. alexjjones6024

Agreed mate, just wanted to see someone else pick up on it because I'm sure this won't get fixed. Remember, there has been an increase in price, but a rush to the finish line again + continual missed tricks (additional DLC & depot). Really losing my patience with this.

• Like Like x 4
  39. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Do you get an article from your petrol station/grocery store of choice explaining a price increase? Unless you are living in a bubble amongest a lost tribe in the amazon, you shouldnt fail to have noticed everything is going up everywhere, and in the UK things are going up faster than many other places for reasons I shouldnt go into here...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  40. rennekton#1349

I'm assuming it comes down to how complex it is and how long it takes to do. Like overhauling night lighting is probably not an easy task, hence it not appearing on any other route

41. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I made a post about regarding price's when TSW 3 was announced people seem okay with it.

42. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

Can’t do that without ruining GWE though can you. DTG has to allow you to choose which liveries appear on which routes, it’s frankly stupid that you can’t already.

• Like Like x 9
  43. frabjousvector

I feel as though DTG should have waited to get other licenses before even touching BNS. It relies so heavily on other services and licenses DTG don’t have and now it’s going to look totally and utterly barren.

• Like Like x 2
  44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

there was however supposed to be a list of standard route features after one of the feedback streams months back. I'm not sure it's ever been disclosed what we should expect as standard

• Like Like x 3
  45. londonmidland

Things like wet platforms should come as standard now.

Its such a big step back if they aren't as the platforms look very flat looking during rainy weather. Wasn't the wet platform visuals one of TSW 3's big visual improvements, too?

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. frabjousvector

Interesting that they still haven’t shown BNS- have they got something else to hide? Do they not want to anger us? What’s going on?

• Like Like x 3
  47. rennekton#1349

Let's hope they will add that in before it officially launches. What are the chances dtg will say they will look into it and then take a long time to add it back in

• Like Like x 3
  48. londonmidland

I believe this is the area which has the lighting issues, which is why it hasn't been previewed in any screenshots, as well as subsequently explains why the release it delayed.

If I remember correctly, the light baking process is a very lengthy and time consuming process.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  50. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I suspect the starter bundle will be a thing with each new route, they are more likely to make a sale because it has the opportunity to cater to individual taste.

Will probably net more sales, I’m sure there will be people who see the base game, then a DLC costing the same amount as the base game & turning away from the purchase.

As for the cost, they likely believe that the uptake in new sales figures will be higher than people who leave because of a price increase, I mean look at some of the comments, there are people that will pretty much go along with whatever DTG decide to tell them, so why bother charging less?

I suspect the reason that the only conversation from DTG on this is coming from admin comments, has something to do with DTG not wanting to make an official statement that there will be a 20% price increase for existing users. New users aren’t likely to check a lengthy forum thread before a purchase, and DTG still get to say they have ‘communicated’ on the subject.

Anyway, this tinfoil hat is getting itchy, so that’s my take on the matter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1