Hope Valley (stand-alone)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Limeyfox, Oct 17, 2022.

1. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Steam DRM does not prohibit the merge of the MML on steam it can be merged. A friend of mine has merged them and it works fine.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

As Cyclone says and plus you may have issues with the routeproperties.xml file(s) you would have more than one if you joined together the routes and their extensions. Which one would you use? Would the main route one work ie MML Sheffield to Derby and access the extensions?

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Sheffield-Derby files are still in the Lincoln extension. Heck, the destination of Leicester is in the Lincoln route, and you can’t go there. Matlock is even there. So it is certainly possible to break those routes the way they are on Steam. Set Matlock as a destination and see how the game likes that.

4. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

Danny did mention in another thread that he merged the MML routes and published it on the steam workshop, but some people told him to take it down. I hope Danny republishes it for the benefit of the community.

Let's say a customer purchases a couple of routes, even if standalone, the owner of the routes I believe has the right to merge the routes and publish it for others to download as long as the standalone routes are made a mandatory prerequisite to get the merge. I don't understand how someone would be against it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cyclone

The reason folks complained was because they saw no reason for it given the JT merge already available if you buy the routes directly. Personally, I like the idea of a Workshop merge, but then I wonder if the actual merge route’s scenarios would work. It would for sure be a different route ID, in any case.

6. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

It wouldnt be a different Route ID as the scenario author would made the route using the merge route when they create the scenario folder using utilities to create the file that they use to upload the scenario, the route ID would be exactly the same as the person who downloads the scenario's route ID as the merge would have the same route ID when downloaded from the workshop so it would work perfectly fine.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. yagna2308

yagna2308 Member

Frankly, if those "folks" see no reason, then let them not download the merge from the workshop.
    Danny as a route owner of the standalone routes can publish his merge and we can either choose to subscribe to it or not is our choice as owners of the standalone routes. How these "folks" have any say in taking down a merged route from workshop is beyond me.

If it would work, that's good to hear, adding to it, we can create scenarios even for the merged MML version on workshop (if Danny could reupload it), like how we have scenarios on workshop for south Wales and Welsh marches merge.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Sadly Danny as Cyclone says took it down for reasons only he will know the true story to and i dont think its best place anyone other than himself explains why if he feels the need to if not then we should respect him for that. It is not my place nor anyone elses to say why he took it down.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Danny doesn't like confrontation, unfortunately people persistently asking him to bring something back is just as confrontational as the people saying he wasted his time and shouldn't have bothered uploading it in the first place.

Just let Danny do what Danny wants to do, he doesn't need or probably want our input on it, he just wants us to enjoy what is available.

• Like Like x 4
  10. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Well said and further to your point i will add that he does it in his OWN FREE TIME for us to enjoy.

Some people in the community and just so ungrateful it is beyond belief.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

PS Danny can comment for himself too ;), I mean Danny does have many many plans - just gets distracted by things and the lack of free time.

In all seriousness there is a difference between Confrontation and abusive messages - I'm not against it, but of course most of it was getting messages telling me there was no point because Just Trains have already done it (in a not so polite way, and of course going through a tough time in my own person life too). To be honest though - parts of the community (not here) have made me less wanting to do things on workshop at all.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  12. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I really don’t see why you should give up your time to link files. If people want them linked up buy them on Jt website the merge is already done for you

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Sorry Danny, I wasn't trying to suggest you couldn't stick up for yourself, no disrespect intended.

• Like Like x 1
  14. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

None taken :) (I didn't think you were :) )

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Danny, you know my opinion. Do what you do. Don't give a beef what others say. If you want to do it, do it. If they want to complain, let them. You enjoy what you do. That is what matters. :D

And now, something more pressing...
    I must now withdraw this statement. New extension being planned, and will allow access to the Hope Valley Line.

Buxton, for those unaware (I wasn't), is south of Chinley (from the current line), and this branch will not be available on Steam as this comes across as one of those lines to merge in like the line to Matlock. So now the merged route will have some weight once this extension comes out. Hazel Grove is already on the line.

16. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

It's funny (tragic, really) that no end of people have often criticised the fact that 3rd party developers sell their routes and locos/wagons on their own websites, but, folks don't like going on the worldwideweb to download stuff from strange places, only if it's on Steam. So, when JT put their shop routes onto Steam as standalone routes, Danny comes along and helps the community by merging them together and then folks complain that he shouldn't do it because JT sells them merged on their website, that nobody really wants to visit, you can't make this up, can you!!!!

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

You never know the motivation behind such comments.
    Besides the obvious affiliate in hiding, people may care about the wealth of 3rd parties. Below a revenue threshold they exit.

It could also be different people.

My actual reason for avoiding 3rd parties is the clumsiness of installation. And the price, a bit.
    For arcane reasons I'm pondering to get the Class 20 DRS and Class 60 EWS. (Could be great marketplace options.)

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

After just doing a clean install of TS and running through over 300 installers .bat files .zips and .rwps (which I unzip and place manually because the Utilities.exe is an absolute ball ache all unto itself) I've gotta admit I can definitely see the attraction of everything being through Steam.

Still wont stop me buying direct from the likes of JT though as their updates and patches are quicker and most requirements tend to list the website version over the Steam versions, same with the Wherry lines.

Edit:
    Corrected typo I hit 2 instead of 3 for the 300

• Like Like x 2
  19. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

I am with you i have 2 of the JT midlands routes on steam but recently purcahsed them directly on the JT website as well as the lincoln extension and boy does it look fantastic all merged up. Will be picking up the other extension i am missing as well as hope valley and really looking forward to there new announced extension as well.

JT has really upped the bar with the midlands route network.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Sometimes people just comment for the sake of a comment.

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Is that what you are doing - and I suppose me :o

22. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

not yourself Peter other member’s ;)

23. Cyclone

How dare you comment for the sake of commenting!

And me, I just sound ridiculous now! :D

24. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

And this is taking the thread wayyyy of topic so can we keep on topic please IE hope valley

• Like Like x 2