Sudden Fps Drops Cannot Fix

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Yeahman, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Yeahman

Yeahman New Member

So I started playing Train Sim World 2 almost 2 years ago and at first it worked fine on my PC but earlier this year I started noticing an issue where, I would be running the game fine at 50-60 FPS but suddenly it will drop to 10-20 FPS and will not return back for several minutes, it is really annoying and I can't find a way to fix this. I thought that it would be fixed when Train Sim World 3 released but nothing has changed. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this

• Like Like x 1
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

What routes does it affect? Where on the route? any other details so we can reproduce it

3. Yeahman

Yeahman New Member

It happens on every route. It will just suddenly happen and it goes on for a few minutes before returning, and eventually comes back. My computer has an i7-10750H and RTX 2060

• Like Like x 1
  4. rennekton#1349

And when you say suddenly happen, I'm assuming in any part of the route regardless of how large the scene is such as in yards and such

5. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is obvious, but is your computer possibly doing something in the background? This happened to me yesterday and I spotted I was downloading a Windows update.

6. Yeahman

Yeahman New Member

Yes, it happens randomly in any place on the route, It will drop from around 60 to 20 FPS on high graphics. And, it happens on both Train Sim World 2 and 3

7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Have to say this sounds a bit like some kind of thermal throttling - where something on the system heats up and so it cuts back the processing significantly to let it cool down, once it's cooled down, it ramps it back up again.

If a laptop - check all your vents are clear, fans are working, and its on a clear clean flat surface with air flow as needed.

If a desktop, check all your fans, and if you know how - check the thermal paste on your CPU.

there are apps you can get to monitor temperaturs throughout your system, i'd suggest finding one and see if anything is getting hot.

Matt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Maybe You mean the stuttering?
    TSW2 and 3 have massive stuttering issues currently on all hardware

• Like Like x 1
  9. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Happens on my Series X any time the dynamic weather decides to give me fog or a storm. FPS dips to sub-30. Goes back to normal if the weather clears up. Only fix I have found is to keep the weather clear.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, even in DTG streams we have seen FPS tank when it rains..
    Performance should be fixed

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If anyone is having the issues reported I would look first to what windows is doing and how it's set up. Check for CPU and GPU load in task manager, make sure your machine is not doing windows or virus updates. Make sure the machine isn't running an virus scan (my virus scanner loves tanking the hard drive) and if you're browsing or checking emails at the same time (I run dual monitors so have this often) make sure your browser isn't using 17 instances of itself (both chrome and edge are nightmares for this)

If in doubt, try making a separate windows profile especially for TSW where nothing is starting up or taking up memory and then you get as clean a run as you can. It's likely this will clear up a lot of resource hogging and allow TSW to run cleanly

Funny, I play TSW a lot and get barely any stutters other than the usual tile boundary or new asset ones, I have frame counter on all the time and almost never drops to yellow let alone red, and certainly not "for several minutes" as reported in the OP

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The "tile boundary or new asset ones" are the ones everyone is complaining about. Everyone has them and on some routes they are worse then on others. Still they are almost deal-breaking since they are so frequent.

13. ARuscoe

That's not what this post is about though, hence making the distinction

14. Princess Entrapta

None of these exist on XBox Series S and X though.

15. ARuscoe

Xbox doesn't do updates? You do surprise me
    The remainder is true enough though, but then this is the PC forum

16. DTG Matt

Lots of speculation here, would like to hear more from the OP in response to some of the suggestions proposed so we can progress based on a bit more fact :)

17. Princess Entrapta

Yes, but I was pointing out it's not a bug unique to the PC version, or to anyone's hardware, it's a fundamental problem with the game's flaws.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. DTG Matt

You say that - but is that the 40fps drops for extended periods that the OP is describing or the general stutter over tile boundaries?

We have seen one video of a massive pause on xbox series x and have had zero luck reproducing it in any way, so i'm not denying that it exists but if the majority aren't seeing it, that doesn't feel like a "fundamental problem with the games flaws" ?

If you've got more to share on the OP's problem, which is clearly not experienced by the majority of the player base as far as I'm aware, I'd dearly love to hear it.

Matt.

19. Princess Entrapta

In my case part of the reason I play TSW2 for the most part is that every time I have fired up a route in TSW3 (a shame because I REALLY love Cajon, and those sunsets on it are breathtaking - I REALLY want to love TSW3, and the new route also super appeals to me, so I would love to see this sorted) and the dynamic weather has switched to fog or a storm, then yes, for the whole duration of that weather effect the FPS meter has reported an extended dip of around 20-40fps, which returns to normal when the weather changes.
    I don't see this same effect in TSW2, so that's what my Series X mostly runs.

It reminds me of the Elite Dangerous 4.0 client introduced with their Odyssey update where my PC gets 144fps in 3.8, but 60-80fps in 4.0, on the exact same settings, which is why I didn't buy the expansion to that game, and like TSW2 continue to play the old version.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  20. DTG Matt

Can you just remind me which platform you're on, any settings of note, and what kinds of before and after FPS you see? If you can give me an exact repro with route/service/scenario etc etc so that i'm definitely doing the same things you are that will help a lot.

This sounds like something tangible I should be able to get reproduced and on someones plate to fix.

One of the engineers did note a performance improvement on Thursday for precipitous weather which is going in to QA shortly - but - in his estimations it was only a 1-2ms improvement, certainly "not nothing" - but isn't what you're seeing here. There was also a second improvement coming of similar size which relates to lightning "lighting" again not sure how much impact that will have on what you're seeing.

The OP's post however is present in TSW2 on his system, as well as 3. So I don't think its the same issue.

Matt

21. Princess Entrapta

Ah, I missed the bit about it happening in TSW2 as well, that is peculiar.

First thing I'd do if I was the OP would have been to check as soon as it happened what had updated other than TSW at that time, to eliminate other possible causes, like a dodgy windows update, driver change, etc. Should still be doable to check the history around then.

For my issue, I'll try and get a bunch of details like by replaying the same services with different weather presets.

As a side note, in my Elite Dangerous example above modders on reddit eventually found one of the worst culprits to be a shader that was being called 90 times per frame in 4.0 but only 4 in 3.8

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  22. ARuscoe

I only answered on a PC basis because it's in the PC forum. If there are drops on certain routes on certain xbox platforms, but not on EVERY xbox within that platform I would be looking at the differences between the boxes rather than blaming the software in each case.

All computers (ie any computing device) have differences so if the software load is the same it's likely a local phenomenon

23. Princess Entrapta

It's consistent behaviour between all three different XBoxes of mine, which is what I would expect from a fixed platform.

24. ARuscoe

Unfortunately xbox is less fixed than many would like it to be,

but agreed if you're getting minutes long frps drops on multiple boxes that would be something I would be raising, but to be honest I haven't seen any reports of minutes long fps drops outside of SoS rain storms

25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I find SOS trashes frame rates in the rain. I’ve seen 19fps on a 2080ti

26. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Hope DTG can fix the rain/weather FPS issue soon

27. Princess Entrapta

I still find it ironic though that on SoS I get smoother fps in external cams than in first person. Given how much the exhausts of diesel locos tank my framerate any time they are in frame, one would imagine steam ones would hit even harder, but they don't. Do the diesels use volumetrics but the steam ones don't or something?

28. ARuscoe

I remember this being raised before and when they did the steam "puffs" they used a completely different system to what they had before (with diesels) and some asked if they would take the steam system and replace the diesel one with it...

• Like Like x 1
  29. rennekton#1349

Dtg spent a lot of time optimizing the particles so it has no effect on fps. Steam effects are very dense and you definitely don't want to lose frames cuz of that

30. Princess Entrapta

Yeah, it'd be great to see this optimisation applied to diesels, even if they'd only done it as a test on the BNSF ones in CJP

31. DTG Matt

Yes we used the newer particle system for steam and haven't yet been able to switch diesel particles over to it - though that work has been started, it's shelved atm for bug fixing work amongst other things but I definitely want to get back to it - it looks better and runs significantly more efficiently :)

• Like Like x 3
  32. nathan#1842

nathan#1842 New Member

It's happening with mine too. Impossible to drive the train