Upcoming Release Train Sim World 3 - Bustling Birmingham

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Nov 15, 2022.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

[​IMG]

Birmingham Cross-City Line: Lichfield - Bromsgrove & Redditch will be arriving as a brand-new Starter Pack, and Add-On, for Train Sim World 3 on November the 17th. We thought we would take a look at some of the landmarks that you have to look forward to!

Find out more in our article that takes you through Bustling Birmingham!

...And check out our BCC preview:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 14
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I like maps.

• Like Like x 3
  3. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Any confirmation on price yet?

• Like Like x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For me, on Steam, it is 170% of TSW 2 route price.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Tom19721997

Tom19721997 Member

If read through the article their have got the cadburys license,looks like its a collectible cool,i know nothing do with the route or train thought mention it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That sounds very painful.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Amazing – is collecting outers of Dairy Milk one of the route tasks?! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It is £30 for the UK with no pre-order discount.

Content to pass, wait for it to turn up 60% off in a sale next year some time.

"Bustling Birmingham"... No Avanti Pendolinos, no other West Midlands local services, no Cross Country... Very little freight. No Depot, no Camp Hill, no Walsall...

Think that tag might require a more modest rethink.

• Like Like x 26
  9. Factor41

Looks like it'll be worth £30 of my money all day long. Sold!

• Like Like x 3
  10. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Your enthusiasm suggests to me that you are very easily pleased but we'll soon see what the route has to offer; in about 15 minutes in fact. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. meee

meee Member

I agree

• Like Like x 3
  12. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

More like "empty birmingham"

• Like Like x 8
  13. Factor41

It's my local route and one I requested years ago so I'm keen to see it and not going to be put off by the perma-pessimists like Vern and co. I've been playing a few UK routes quite happily on my PS5 recently (my solution to the 64GB limit is just to delete all of the tedious US freight crap) so if it's up to the standard of recent UK routes and has plenty of familiar Birmingham scenery, it'll easily give me 30 quid's worth of entertainment.
    I'm pretty sure New Street will be used again in future so there are bound to be future layers added in - any new network will be fairly quiet with the first release; it's how they build on this base that will be important, and only time will tell how it ends up.

• Like Like x 7
  14. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

For me personally it doesn't look like it'll be worth the £30. But will be watching the live stream and if not there'll be a sale some day :) Brave of them to throw in a beta tester for the stream though

• Like Like x 1
  15. OldVern

Not at all, each release judged on its merit.

If you doubt that, check the post I just made in the TSC forum regarding the upcoming Turkish route. Day 1 purchase even if it is £30.

Well we thought that about Glasgow Central on Cathcart and, erm - no. Unless it features in Rivet's new route this was another "bustling" location that became a one trick wonder.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  16. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Another Cathcart type route.and very similar to eastway

• Like Like x 2
  17. marcsharp2

"Bustling Birmingham" is doing a hell of a stretch there.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im sorely tempted to buy this as well. Ive zero interest in Turkish railways and currently dont even have TSC installed but this still excites me more than a single EMU route set in an area I know very well.

• Like Like x 6
  19. marcsharp2

I get why they haven't filled out New Street with AI traffic because they haven't A: Got the license, B: Too expensive to create new AI trains purely to run up and down several miles of railway. But this is Birmingham New Street in 2019. We're gonna get another Glasgow Central and St Pancras aren't we.

• Like Like x 3
  20. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Even watching the stream I’m already bored.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Not to get too off-topic, but I'm curious as to why the Turkish route is planned for TSC rather than TSW? Specifically, when they're planning out new content how do they choose which to release on which game?

I'd buy it in a hot minute on TSW, but no chance i'm going to reinstall ancient TSC for one route, no matter how interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  22. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

To be fair, there aren't many UK route options which you can build whilst representing every real-world service with stock already available in the sim. Compromises have to be made until future content gives us those layers. Also note that even though the route is physically shorter than most, it still has some of the longest service durations of any UK route.

• Like Like x 4
  23. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Bustling Birmingham? Empty Birmingham would be more accurate.

The huge New Street complex with one train and no passengers on other platforms looks ridiculous.

If they'd set it in 1993 they could have justified 150s, 101s and 47 IC hauled AI services. The emptiness of this route compared to German routes with many locos is very stark. Not sure why the UK gets a poor deal when it's a UK company...

• Like Like x 11
  24. breblimator

breblimator Guest

After watching parts of the stream: a beautiful ghost town \o/

• Like Like x 6
  25. OldVern

Trouble is Alex, they've had five years of TSW to come up with a co-ordinated plan, but instead we just keep getting these isolated standalone route projects with one, or two if we're lucky, train types and there it rests. the future is here now compared even to when TSW2 started out, let alone TSW1. Germany fares somewhat better even if it is all DB Red, Dostos and > 422 Class EMU's but the UK needs some joined up thinking.

• Like Like x 6
  26. redrev1917

Some would argue that DTG are simulating the current UK rail network to a T with the lack of joined up thinking or forward planning.
    When we asked for as close to realistic rail network being simulated perhaps this is not quite what we meant.

• Like Like x 7
  27. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

this is a pass for me

• Like Like x 3
  28. OldVern

I'm still playing TSC from time to time (and Run 8) and find the experience still very satisfying. All it lacks really is the all day timetable. After reading about this Turkish route, including the manual, you can see some real love has been lavished on it and have to say I am absolutely pumped for it. I think that shows the difference between something that is a labour of love and passion for the prototype, as opposed to telling a team at DTG Towers, okay your project for Q4 is Birmingham Cross City, this is your budget and this is the deadline or you're all sacked...

• Like Like x 7
  29. redrev1917

I dipped in and out of the stream (problem with it being early) but I have to say I liked what I saw, but as I initially thought that when Ive still got a lot of Cathcart, LC and SHES services to run I just cant justify to myself spending full price on yet another EMU commuter route. that said I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for a sneaky sale.

30. OldVern

Coming back to our bingo then, has anyone asked the question why they feel this is worth £30 and if so what was the answer (if any)?

• Like Like x 2
  31. Disintegration7

I play Run 8 as well, which i enjoy, but the "all day timetable", is really the USP for TSW, and, personally, i find it impossible to go back to TSC getting 5 or 6 scenarios with a route. Then it's either Quick Drive, which gets boring fast, workshop scenarios (many are great, but so much time spent chasing down dependencies, etc), or make your own, which i have no interest in. Then there's just all the general tinkering to get the lighting, sounds, etc looking somewhat decent...

For all it's many shortcomings, TSW lets me just drive trains with lots of AI (quantity varies by route of course), which is all i really want to do in a train sim.

• Like Like x 9
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

True. This is the real strength of the title - just plug & play.
    screeny_2022.11.15 20.14.53.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2022
  33. marcsharp2

Seeing New Street so empty was disappointing. I'm tired of seeing incredibly busy UK stations so empty of trains and people. I can't see me paying full price for this in all honesty.

• Like Like x 12
  34. royalscot#3684

royalscot#3684 Well-Known Member

Just about everyone has raised this on the stream and DTG have just ignored them.

• Like Like x 2
  35. redrev1917

Passengers sinking through the staircases at New Street up to their hips, Matt & JD just ignored it like it wasnt happening...

• Like Like x 12
  36. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It’s looking good but I didn’t see the Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock at University. Is it there?

37. Factor41

Kinda makes me glad there aren't more of them to fight my way past! I'm not generally one for roaming around the stations so, while it's a shame there's nothing to layer in around New Street – it feels like there's always a LNW 350 on the nearby platform and some XC services kicking about within close view of the far end platforms when the Cross City trains pull in – it is only a small part of the route. I'm not going to get hung up on it, and hopefully those layers will come in time.
    Ahh, Old Joe, I do hope that's in there. I cycled right past it the other day for the first time - I never realised quite how big it is up close - the world’s tallest freestanding clock tower, no less!

Edit: There's a whole page about Old Joe on the Birmingham Uni Website if you want to learn more!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  38. KatiaBLR

KatiaBLR Well-Known Member

Loved the stream and really looking forward to this route now, the variety of service patterns looks great and the whole route seems to capture the feel of the area.

Also loved the imput from Daisy, great to hear her speak of her own experiences and has clearly added a lot of positive knowledge to this route!

• Like Like x 7
  39. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Tsc is much easier to develop for than tsw and it's been out for a while. Learning unreal engine can take several years. Remember how just trains was announced but they still haven't produced anything and are still learning. Also the team who are working on the turkish consisted only of 3 people if you read the manual so building the 100+km route for tsw with zero knowledge on how to use unreal wouldn't be possible. The editing tools are much accessible in tsc and there's probably a million other reasons why devs might not want to move to tsw

• Like Like x 2
  40. Disintegration7

Ahhh didn't realize it was 3rd-party.

Makes complete sense now.

41. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

#quietlytorn

I'm really not sure on this yet. Looks beautiful but I need to see more I think. All I come back to is how little I used Cathcart, that's another beautiful route but with one real train set and a "bustling" quiet station.

Nothing negative to say, just not over the line on it at the moment.
    I did however notice the RHTT wasn't spraying. Would have been nice to see it working

I can't help thinking that no matter how you cut this up that Dresden and Brighton routes are what any nee passengers get compared to and when it's lower density the "gameplay" statement is harder to pin people to.

Train model was very nice and cabin lightings lovely though

• Like Like x 6
  42. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I too enjoyed the stream. I thought the input from Daisy was excellent and very interesting and helped bring the route to life.

• Like Like x 10
  43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I bought Cathcart when it came out and played in once or twice. However since I pre-ordered this route and installed TSW3 and revisited Cathcart I find that whilst yes it is a little grating to see Glasgow Central so quiet, the station itself and the run into it is really only a small part of the route that it doesn't really bother me that much, and I think the same will be with this route.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  44. chieflongshin

Did anyone notice any of the Bidstack boards too? I don't know if they were turned off or if there will be a patch thursday to get rid of all the placeholders.

45. redrev1917

We had a patch today, cant think we'll get another one on Thursday, I mean we're lucky to get 2 updates in a month, let alone twice in a week.

46. chieflongshin

I also don't recall if rush hour passengers are on this route as it looked a bit quiet. Can anyone confirm? I'm going to watch stream again I think to help me decide

47. bittesteigensieein

bittesteigensieein Member

Enjoyed the stream today, very nice work. I have a suspect though that the AI train destination displays are not working. Looking forward to playing this.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Stream was informative and interesting, but JD’s volume was way higher than all the other audio which was rather jarring. A shame they don’t test these things before starting. Daisy’s mouse was also a bit hyperactive sometimes which got quite queasy.

• Like Like x 1
  49. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

It's a great looking route I will be getting it but Birmingham New Street doesn't feel alive like London Victoria. Birmingham New Street is meant to be busy with different services.

Maybe in a another route we will see Birmingham New Street and that version will be more busy as the 323 would be an AI layer.

50. chieflongshin

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thought Daisy was set up for call of duty with the mouse.

• Like Like x 4