Long Island Railroad Diesel Locomotive Add-on Proposal

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lawjester, Nov 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, so the Long Island Railroad route for Train Sim World will be arriving tomorrow (November 20th) and I couldn’t be more happy about it. The route starts from New York Penn Station and goes to Hicksville which is the end of the LIRR main line. The route also features Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn, Long Island City in Queens, and the LIRR Hempstead Branch and Belmont Park Branch. The route also features LIRR’s most important component of its fleet, the Bombardier M7 which LIRR has 836 units of. Although the M7 is great in its own way, the route will feel a bit empty without the massive and beautiful diesel locomotives that run down the LIRR. What I’m proposing is for Dovetail Games at some point in time, to create the LIRR DM30AC/DE30AC and the C3 Cab Car and coaches.

D87B001E-4562-4144-86F8-77BE3293A49B.jpeg
    (LIRR DM30AC #502 running down the Montauk Branch)

The Locomotive: The DM30AC and DE30AC locomotives were manufactured by Electro Motive Division (EMD) in years 1997-1998. They then were delivered to LIRR for service on LIRR’s 4 diesels branches and are still running on the railroad to this day. The two locomotives are practically the same besides for the DM30AC’s ability to switch from diesel mode to DC third rail power. One other difference is that the DE30AC is numbered in the 400s whilst the DM30AC is numbered in the 500s. The locomotives haul the Kawasaki built C3 Bi-level cab car and coaches. The diesel locomotives always face east on the LIRR unless they’re running a loco on both ends of the consist for various reasons like the ability to haul extra C3s more efficiently during peak hours or so they can run into Penn Station and switch power modes (Amtrak requires a locomotive at both ends just to make sure if one fails, the train still runs on DC third rail mode).

A77A4808-2ECC-4C69-9887-1FE33781078A.jpeg
    (DM30AC/DE30AC control cab)

8714DB04-E924-473C-98D6-C782967F7260.jpeg
    (C3 cab car #5011 coming off the Oyster Bay Branch whilst DM30AC #521 heads eastbound down the mainline)

The Bi-levels: The C3 bi-level cars play a pivotal role in the transportation of many LIRR customers. These cars were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, and began delivery to the LIRR in 1997 and went into service in 1998. They are pushed and pulled by the LIRR DM30AC and DE30AC and their are roughly 130 of these cars running on the LIRR today. Cab cars on the LIRR are always facing west and these cars run trips to places like Jamaica, Hunterpoint Avenue, Long Island City etc. There is one place however where the cab car cannot run and that’s into Penn Station. These cab cars were not equipped with the ability to change power modes from the cab, so power can only be changed from the DM30AC. This means they’re prohibited from entering Penn Station on their own.

31B110B1-8397-42D3-B86A-B0ABCACBD2DA.jpeg
    (C3 control cab in Jamaica Station)

0C6A44AB-C185-4453-867B-CA96C25BF596.jpeg
    (DM30AC #512 on the far left, DM30AC #516 in the middle and DE30AC #401 on the far right sitting in Port Jefferson Yard on the Port Jefferson Branch)

YouTube Videos:

Current Route Use: These locomotives would not only add a lot more fun to the route, but also more variety. Right now, we could use them to do off peak runs from Jamaica to a Mineola and back as apart of the Oyster Bay Branch. During peak hours, we can take them to places like Penn Station, Long Island City etc. They could also be used on the main line from Hicksville to Jamaica, Penn Station etc. during peak hours as apart of the Port Jefferson Branch. Not only will they help with the operational variety, but also at the visual variety. We could see them go to branches like the Montauk Branch, but just not have the ability to operate them and that would make the DLC that much better.

Resulting Possibilities: With the inclusion of this train, we could even see diesel branch extensions from either DTG or third party developers with the editor tools. I believe we could see something like the Oyster Bay Branch which would be extended from Mineola station which will be in the game. Or we could see an extension to Port Jefferson from Hicksville and not only would that provide great usage for the diesels, it would also give the M7’s for usage as they run up a portion of the Port Jefferson Branch to Huntington station where the third rail ends.

All in all this would be an awesome DLC and would open up so many opportunities and experiences for customers excited to play the LIRR. The DLC upcoming looks amazing and I can’t wait to play it tomorrow! Hope you enjoyed reading this proposal and feel free to leave a comment and an upvote, thanks!

• Like Like x 26
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Let's see this happen, DTG. Eventually.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

I think my vote's a given yes: Just give me a proper run with 2737 to Penn in the morning and i'm set.

• Like Like x 4
  4. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

Yes please, that would be awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wizard Hoovy

Wizard Hoovy New Member

if this actually happens: don't charge so much for it unlike the csx gp40-2

my own opinion

• Like Like x 2
  6. The7Train

The7Train Active Member

I agree.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

think you mean today?

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaptainJoey423

CaptainJoey423 New Member

Hey Lawjester! I am so glad I’m not the only one who would be thrilled beyond belief to see the DM30AC and/or DE30AC added to the route in Train Sim World. As someone who grew up along the Montauk Branch, these diesels were my childhood and I was very confused as to why no train simulator had made an official model of these engines and their cars. But hey, miracles have happened before. Let’s hope Matt and the other devs can work their magic!

• Like Like x 3
  9. MadManMoon

MadManMoon New Member

Count me as another enthusiastic vote for the LIRR diesel fleet! How about an expansion pack: Oyster Bay Branch, with the DE/DM30s and C3s! Bring it on - I'll buy it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lawjester

This definitely would be an awesome DLC for many reasons so hopefully we could see it in the near future. Matt did say that he wants the loco but they don’t have enough reference material to make it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LativaBoy

LativaBoy Active Member

we need these plus the M3 multiple units!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

i don't know that DM30AC/DE30AC have a very nice interior! :)

13. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

I'm a bit late to seeing this, but hey, I can say i'm no longer the only one who lives on the Montauk. Regardless, we could use the diesel fleet, and who knows what happens in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thephoenix

thephoenix New Member

A friend of mine told me about this sim and the lirr part thy just added. Yes, please add diesel service. I would gladly pay for that as well as the sw1001s and mp15acs they still use.

15. thephoenix

thephoenix New Member

DTG, please add the 1980-2000 era fleet and you can shut up and take my money!

16. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

DM30AC got my vote let’s hope to see the Port Jefferson Branch in the future on Train sim World someday!

• Like Like x 1
  17. mrchuck

That’s awesome hopefully they’ll have enough Reference to create a Dm30ac Locomotive c3 Double decker cab car along with the Port Jefferson route.

18. Lawjester

At some point if a DM30AC DLC ever comes, it would make sense for an extension to come with it or shortly after. The diesels would certainly be able to be utilized with the route currently, but an extension would make sense eventually. Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, Montauk (part of it) would all be welcomed additions so I hope it’s considered for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JoeTransit

JoeTransit Member

Yes puh-leez!! #PortJeffBranch!!! (Or any other diesel branch, it really doesn't matter. Port Jeff branch is my local line). My vote is a surefire YES! It would add so much more realism to the game and maybe have AI services on the Oyster Bay Branch finally. If this ever gets implemented, I would beg of DTG to add services (in Service Mode) to Long Island City.

• Like Like x 2
  20. mrchuck

I second that.

21. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

This is a great and detailed proposal! Nice job and I hope they make this! They've already shown some interest, hopefully community support will encourage them.

I think this would be great as a loco dlc, and a route extension would be nice... but, knowing DTG, they probably won't have the time to include an extension. TSW content still takes noticeably longer to produce than TSxx content, so I wouldn't expect any kind of extension anytime soon, especially since they would have to include a nice C3 coach and cabcar to go with it. Don't worry- we've already got a group dedicated to building all the other branches when the editor comes out.

As for services, they'd have to add this into service mode somehow anyway, so I would expect services to Long Island City.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Lawjester

Are you referring to my group lol?

• Like Like x 1
  23. mrchuck

They mentioned something about Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma on the lirr 24/7 TSW article so I have a feeling that dovetail would include Port Jefferson on a Dlc for train sim World.

24. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Yep, lol.

25. mrchuck

They mentioned about Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma in the Article on TSW Lirr 24/7 and workalices so hopefully dovetail is creating the Port Jefferson,Babylon,Montauk and Ronkonkoma Branch for the lirr dlc.

26. mrchuck

I would love to see how DTG creates the Port Jefferson Branch and I would definitely like to drive the Port Jefferson Branch With The lirr Dm30ac Locomotive c3 Double decker cab car when ever it’s released onto a Dlc in the future

27. mrchuck

oyster bay ride video looks great hopefully someday it’ll be available on TSW for all of us to drive.

28. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Watch out for shopping carts.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. mrchuck

Awesome hopefully the DM30AC’s lirr Locomotive c3 Double decker are available soon on TRAIN sim World.

30. Big Papi34

A DM30AC was scrapped because it hit a shopping cart. The cart broke a electrical rail and fried the engine and cab. So, yes do watch out for SHOPPING CARTS. I know what I'm talking about thank you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. mrchuck

Awesome so hopefully oyster bay,Port Jefferson and Greenport will be available soon on train sim World sometime soon.

32. Lawjester

Where in these posts do you get any LIRR Branch coming to TSW? Trust me, I was in your place before. Don’t expect anything because if you do then you’ll be majorly disappointed. Took me roughly 10 years to get what I wanted (LIRR) so just remember this. Also, just because they mention a branch, doesn’t mean it’s any sort of hint towards a route addition. It’s literally there to add detail and information to the scenario/article. Would you rather them leave out those details and make them look like they’re uninformed and have no idea what they’re doing? By making this thread we’re showing interest in this and want it, no need for constant repetitions of the same requests. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Big Papi34

10 YEARS. That's a long time. Hopefully the DM/DE30AC can be added though.
    PS: Sorry for being rude.

34. mrchuck

Where’s the Acknowledge button or switch inside the Locomotive or c3 Cab car?

35. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

somewhere :cool:

36. mrchuck

10 years
    10 years sorry. But hopefully oneday we’ll see Port Jefferson or oyster bay on train sim world in the future.