Glasgow Central To Ayr/largs/gourock/wemyss Bay

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Aaronplay3X, May 25, 2018.

?
  1. I want this route too

92.3%
  2. I don't really care for this route

7.7%
  1. Aaronplay3X

Aaronplay3X New Member

Hello, I would very much like to see/drive the route between Glasgow Central and Ayrshire/Inverclyde. The route would include the 6 or so miles from Glasgow Central high level station (Assets could even be re-used from the Glasgow airport scenario) to Paisley Gilmore street. From here the route would split. The south line from Paisley would head towards Kilwinning, where the Largs branch would begin, and head up towards Largs, the other line from Kilwinning would continue towards Ayr. Returning to Paisley, the north line would head up towards Port Glasgow station, where the track would split once more, and one line would go the small remaining distance to Gourock, where the other would continue to Wemyss Bay. route proposal.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. Blairzo97

Blairzo97 New Member

I would Definitely love this route. Even though I know from Glasgow to Ayr like the back of my hand. Not just to drive the GARL but also to drive the class 314 it'd be so great and to see the beauty of the towns paisley, troon, prestwick, ardrosan, and largs. This definitely has my vote

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What would be the total route miles for this? Wondering if it would be more suitable as a TSW route as the scenery would be gorgeous

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Four separate routes (all routes common between Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street stations)
    Glasgow - Ayr : 32 miles
    Glasgow - Largs : 35 miles
    Glasgow - Wemyss Bay : 25 miles
    Glasgow - Gourock : 23 miles

Total mileage (all four routes combined): 115 miles.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

For the total route miles:
    Glasgow - Kilwinning
    Kilwinning - Ayr
    Kilwinning - Largs
    Glasgow - Port Glasgow
    Port Glasgow - Wemyss Bay
    Port Glasgow - Gourock

6. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

Armstrong Powerhouse have already made a Class 314.

9. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Thanks, Cat. I think that pack is mainly Glasgow suburban North plus Cathcart Circle. The route proposed above is Glasgow suburban South-West - from Glasgow Central to the Clyde Coast. I don't think the Clyde Coast (Ayr / Largs / Wemyss Bay / Gourock) has been covered yet.

10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon7000, I know it's not what was asked but thought I'd throw it in. I too would like to see the Clyde Coast to remind me of a school trip from the Isle of Wight to Arran many moons ago . :))

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Yes, the Clyde Coast has many happy memories for me too. But I'm biassed - I live in one of the towns there!

• Like Like x 1
  12. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

For these routes, wouldn't a 318 be just as fitting (if not even more)?

13. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Class 380s are presently being used on the Clyde Coast and other Scotrail routes, but the older Class 318 is certainly also appropriate as it was used for many years over the same routes - as was the Class 334 from the Juniper family.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. evanokane2018

evanokane2018 New Member

I know the areas of the Glasgow to Ayr route only up to Johnstone because that was where I lived I would always every summer have a day trip to Ayr but I don’t do it anymore if this route was in Train sim my life would be complete

15. Blairzo97

Blairzo97 New Member

I'll look into the mileage and see what they say I hope they do bring these routes out

16. Funtime Freddy

Funtime Freddy New Member

This is my local route and I would LOVE to see this route. We could get a new class 380, use the AP 314 or even a class 318 or something like that. The route is really interesting with a ton of history. This definitely has my backing!

17. darrenmcmillan20

darrenmcmillan20 New Member

Would LOVE to see the helensbrugh to Edinburgh via Airdrie route with the class 334s

18. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I don't care much for Scottish routes normally, but I would be interested in this one just because of Wemyss bay station and surroundings which are stunning. Perhaps TSW is the better platform for it though, given the scenic nature of it.

19. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I see this got dug up from 2019...

There is already another recent suggestion for Paisley Gilmour Street and going north. Personally, I think a good option is the path to Ayr extended all the way to Stranraer, and other extensions can be built onto this main line as a new DLC requiring this one including a merge to Western Lines of Scotland via Newton Stewart, presuming the line didn't actually get the Beeching axe (route mergers can fill in the rest of the scenery in the Workshop for an updated edition using the base items from this DLC, and we'd have hypothetical passenger service along the route, thus). Also, include the separate canal route from Glasgow Central terminating south of Paisley Gilmour.

• Like Like x 1
  20. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

RIP Ardrossan
    But seriously, yes, absoluetly, it's a local line and I love the idea.
    As for traction, if memory serves me correctly,
    The class 380 and 385 operate on both lines, the 314 ran on the Ayrshire Coast but mostly ran on Inverclyde, the 318 was a bit of both, and the 334 used to run both. I'm so glad I found this, even if it's 2 years old. I really, really hope DTG make this one day

21. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I just did some reading and see that the Glasgow Airpost Rail Link actually covers to Paisley area, but not the canal. I maintain the idea that the Canal branch would be fantastic. We also need the path to Ayr as previously stated, thuogh the other local line remains an option.

This would be coupled with a new and updated Class 380 model. This therefore would remove the need to maintain the original as a model on the Steam store (though it should perhaps stay because there are freeware items requiring it!), and the Airport Link route can be maintained as part of the Classic Collection. Even though the road in question is literally a fictional road from Paisley. It could also be turned into an updated special scenario pack that only adds the new path and the scenarios using the path, meaning the actual route does not need to include the link.

22. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Ok, firstly, it's Paisley Gilmour Street. Secondly, The Largs branch doesn't start until Ardrossan South Beach, where the Largs branch splits from the Ardrossan Branch. The "north line" is the Inverclyde Line and the "south line" is the Ayrshire Coast Line. But, as I mentioned before, I would love to see this route, this is just me looking over the original post.