PC Ts19 Or Tsw18?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Heather Bentley-Smith, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Heather Bentley-Smith

Heather Bentley-Smith New Member

Hi, I’m a complete novice here, looking to buy either TS19 or TSW 18 for a Christmas present for my husband, preferably today with Black Friday discounts and not sure which to buy or where to start. It’s to play on a PC (Windows 10) and I would also like to buy the West Somerset add on.

Questions: What is the difference between TS19 and TSw 18? ( in simple operating terms?) Are they both suitable base platforms?

Will older add ons like the Somerset and Dorset and Exeter to Paignton also work on Windows 10?

Are all versions digital download, or can I buy a physical PC game disc that I can wrap for Xmas?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

TSW requires higher spec PC than TS19. (Check to see if PC meets requirements for either simulator).
    TSW has higher quality graphics, but is fairly new. Available routes and train stocks are limited.
    TS19 has a wide range of add-on routes and trains available - almost all available in the Autumn sale.
    Older Steam / DTG add-ons will still work with TS19 on Windows 10 (provided PC spec is suitable for this game.)
    Most purchases are digital downloads, usually via Steam - but some boxed versions can be purchased from 3rd party suppliers like Just Trains. They will still need to be updated via Steam.

TS2019 System Requirements

Minimum system requirements

• Processor: Intel Core-i3 4330 3.50GHz Dual Core or AMD A8 6600K 3.90GHz Quad Core
    • Memory: 4GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Graphics with 1GB dedicated VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 20GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    • Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller
    • Steam account required

TSW System Requirements
    • OS: 64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8 / 8.1 or Windows 10
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.7GHz (Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3. GHz recommended)
    • Memory: 8GB RAM
    • Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 270 with 2GB VRAM or more (nVidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480 with 4GB VRAM or more recommended)
    • DirectX: Version 10
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 20GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    • Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller
    • STEAM account required

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

West Somerset add-ons are available both for TS19 and TSW (different downloads. Be careful to select the correct one for either TS19 or TSW)

4. Heather Bentley-Smith

Great, thank you Gordon. It looks like the PC has enough RAM, Memory and Processor speed for either option. The Graphics card is also fine.

Just not 100 sure that the Exeter to Paignton and Somerset and Dorset add ons will work, as they are quite old now?

5. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

TSW has better graphics and looks better than TS2019, but TS2019 is the better developed game at this point and as earlier posts suggest will work on a less capable PC.

If your husband’s interest in railways is solely the WSR there might be an argument for TSW as that rendition is arguably more immersive than the TS2019 one. If his interest is much wider, say around UK railways in general TS2019 has a far bigger library of routes, locos and rolling stock than TSW has now, or is likely to have in the future. Those items need to be bought separately, but particularly during sale periods they can be quite reasonable. Most people, if not all, buy additional content beyond their first route if they like the game.

While you can as others say buy boxed sets there’s little advantage these days and the digital versions often have better sales. For TS2019 you’ll need the base game. On Steam there’s a UK version which has additional UK content at an attractive price and then the WSR add on for TS2019.

In terms of giving it as a present you’ll need to set up a steam account with name and password. That, either in an envelope, card or between the pages of a new railway book might be a solution.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

I'm using both of these routes on my Windows 10 PC with TS2019. No problems with installing or running these older routes.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Another option for you, if you're not buying it directly on the steam account you use then you can buy codes which are then used in steam later, it means you could put these codes in something physical to give to him, even if he then downloads it through steam

8. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

The other thing possibly worth mentioning is that in TSW you can get out and walk around, fulfilling tasks around the train or walking around stations etc. If your husband has a particular intetest in the West Somerset Railway it is graphically very good and the increased mobility is a positive. I believe there is also a class 33 BoBo locomotive available for purchase for that route on TSW coming soon or maybe even already out..? In my own humble opinion if its just WSR hes interested in then TSW is the one. TS2018 offers much more variation on routes and tolling stock and recent products are graphically good, but its obviously quite an old platform now (despite the title having 2018 in it- its actually a very old game now).

9. Heather Bentley-Smith

Thanks, I’ve gone for TSW 2018 for the graphics really and the immersive experience idea. So the add on I buy will just be for TSW I guess, My husband doesn’t have a particular fascination with trains or routes, but it was just off the back of a nice family day out we had on The West Somerset Railway that made me want to buy it and the incredible the incredible graphics are so realistic. If he likes it, I guess he or I can also buy add ons at a later date. I’m sure the kids will love it too....an educational PC game that I might let them have some time on!

Thanks for everyone’s help.

QUOTE="Medellinexpat, post: 56849, member: 6649"]TSW has better graphics and looks better than TS2019, but TS2019 is the better developed game at this point and as earlier posts suggest will work on a less capable PC.

If your husband’s interest in railways is solely the WSR there might be an argument for TSW as that rendition is arguably more immersive than the TS2019 one. If his interest is much wider, say around UK railways in general TS2019 has a far bigger library of routes, locos and rolling stock than TSW has now, or is likely to have in the future. Those items need to be bought separately, but particularly during sale periods they can be quite reasonable. Most people, if not all, buy additional content beyond their first route if they like the game.

While you can as others say buy boxed sets there’s little advantage these days and the digital versions often have better sales. For TS2019 you’ll need the base game. On Steam there’s a UK version which has additional UK content at an attractive price and then the WSR add on for TS2019.

In terms of giving it as a present you’ll need to set up a steam account with name and password. That, either in an envelope, card or between the pages of a new railway book might be a so[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 2
  10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

My answer is simple: both!

• Like Like x 2
  11. SimonM719

SimonM719 Member

Hopefully he won't be disappointed with the lack of steam trains on a steam heritage railway? We have been on the real WSR and TSW is a very good rendition of it indeed, save for the lack of steam trains, but hopefully they will be modelled one day?

12. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

That would actually be less expensive than it sounds.

If you're particularly smitten by the WSR have a look at the Train Simulator version's Store page in Steam and you'll notice that it says it doesn't need TS to run. That's because it's effectively a single route edition of TS in its own right (one of very few- I think London to Faversham is another). There was a thread on the Steam forums started by someone who'd spotted this during the last sale and bought into TS for less than a fiver plus another couple of quid for the WSR Diesel Gala add on pack. He was thrilled to bits.

Of course if you fancy driving steam loco's TS is the only option at the moment.

13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Just curious: what leads you to assume that Heather is a he?

14. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

She makes it clear that she's buying for her husband- the "he" being referred to.

15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any doubt they will be modelled I think they are still "finding their feet" with UE4. I think the WSR looks great in TSW but it is the one route which really suffers from the lack of atmosphere, you don't get the "hubub" of a preserved railway or seaside resorts, hopefully along with steam engines (which I cannot wait to see) they will add some life to the WSR.

• Like Like x 1