Ps5 Add On Manager

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by whitey#4272, Nov 27, 2022.

1. whitey#4272

whitey#4272 Active Member

2341214_0.png

• Like Like x 18
  2. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

Hoping it will be next month but at this rate probably be like February march time. If we are lucky

• Like Like x 1
  3. whitey#4272

whitey#4272 Active Member

Fingers crossed it would be before Christmas tbh, I get fed up of playing Russian roulette with my add ons and making sure I have the right ones loaded for loco layers. It's stopped me buying any more DLC's since Tharandter rampe as I have so many I'm not actually using.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s really getting beyond a joke. I appreciate it’s a complex issue, but it’s a major issue for PlayStation 5 users and despite words to the contrary, it seems to be a bit of a side project at DTG. That’s certainly the impression I’m getting whether that’s right or wrong. Communication is very slow or non-existent and other issues are taking forever to resolve too. But, more and more new content is being released with no problem (from DTG’s perspective). It’s about time everyone at DTG focuses on fixing what’s already out - without focusing on more new content. It’s never going to happen though.

• Like Like x 11
  5. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

It’s to the point where I don’t even load up the game anymore, I just browse the forums a few times a week to see if there’s been any news on a fix.

• Like Like x 11
  6. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Well with the problems of now not being able to use any new route thats released not only on the PS5 and now the PS4 I wont be buying anymore dlc until the fabled dlc manager is released.
    I'm not prepared to play TSW 3 dlc tetris anymore.

• Like Like x 8
  7. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

I stopped playing TSW3 because of this and went back to TSW2.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

And what really didn't help was the 3 core routes being made as add-ons and not part of the core game. So I haven't been able to play Kassel-Würzburg because it's nearly 10gb.

Why can't they have a system like the mass effect remaster where you can choose to download more parts of the game but it's included in the core download?

• Like Like x 7
  9. dana satya

dana satya New Member

Uninstalling and reinstalling the dlc is really annoying..
    but until now, no information at all, at least just tell the progress that have been made to fix this problem

• Like Like x 2
  10. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Uninstall and reinstalling DLC is getting very annoying by this point I'm starting to forget about routes that are not installed.
    Any updates on this Mat or JD?

• Like Like x 3
  11. jon_mann

jon_mann Member

It has been suggested to them before, which would make sense as most other games do it this way with the DLC being just a key to unlock the content, but it would make the core a huge download. In my mind it would have been better if they hadn't released all the preservation content for TSW3 and just started with the 3 new core routes and maybe Spirit of Steam. That would have given them a chance to sort out the Add ons Managerm, so it was in place for when the limit was reached and people could have still played their old content through TSW2.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I… don’t want a lot for Christmas
    There is just one thing I need
    I don’t care about the presents
    Underneath the Christmas tree

I just want the routes I own
    More than you could ever know
    Make my wish come trueeee
    All I want for Christmas… iiiiiiiissss
    TSW3 Add-Ons Managerrrrrrr

• Like Like x 17
  13. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for!
    We TSW2 PS4 Users are the guinea pigs and I can tell you that the Addons Manager "Patch" 1.90 caused a hell of a lot of confusion:

1. Many layers lost. Can´t use locos anymore on other than their "home" routes.
    2. Creator´s Club scenarios rendered useless. You subscribe and click to open a CC scenario until Kingdom comes. The latest "Patch" 1.93 was to fix this, but guess what .... Now they open (after a small trick with L1), but most of the time you find yourself placed on a platform in the middle of nowhere with no train insight. Nothing, zilch, silence ...
    3. To add to the chaos: Together with the Addons Manager a DLC was installed that I´ve never purchased. It doesn´t appear as "purchased" nor as "downloaded", let alone "installed". For the console it doesn´t exist and on PS4 you can´t therefore uninstall it. OK, "Patch" 1.93 took it away. At least this part worked.

4. Now for the sake of fairness: The TSW2 performance on PS4 DID improve. Much shorter loading times and less stutter are clearly perceivable. I guess as a result of the layer elimination. It´s the choice between being beheaded by the sword or getting nailed to the cross.

I don´t want to rain your parade, but given the latest track record of DTG´s software delivery, I pretty much doubt that they´re capable of handing you over such a complex construct like a flawless DLC Addons Manager. Imagine the zillions of possible combinations on a big number of differing PS5 environments. Not to talk about an amazing number of already existing bugs on TSW3.
    Hope I´m proven wrong, though. For certain! :cool:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks. As of today, nothing new to tell you, other that work is still ongoing, and we're hoping to get it in for testing imminently. Now the Save Game initial update has come out, Add-ons Manager is our Engineering Team's #1 focus.

On testing: it does interact with the infrastructure of the game, and all Add-ons, so there's a lot to check and review. We want to get it out as quickly, but as safely as we can. As much as I'd love to say 'it'll be out by Christmas', I can't confirm yay or nay at this stage.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

If it comes out without being fully tested, and breaks more than the average DTG release, everyone complaining it's taking too long will switch to complaining it broke their game.

16. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

Hmmm "if only there was a troll filter"...

• Like Like x 1
  17. dana satya

dana satya New Member

T
    Thank You very much for the information, really appreciate it

• Like Like x 2
  18. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

Cheers JD for the update
    Fingers crossed for a quicker movement now

• Like Like x 2
  19. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

To be honest: This is better than not being able to use most of the DLC without that annoying uninstalling/installing....
    I now hope, that it'll be released by christmas.

• Like Like x 2
  20. transport

transport Active Member

Same for the old routes

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  21. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

That must be THE royal PITA, I can understand that.
    Sooooo, you choose the sword then. Surely, it´s quicker. ;)

22. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I expect it's been my wishful thinking, but I seem to remember reading that a few times before. I think the other times it said soon rather than like this time, imminently.

• Like Like x 2
  23. PJ77

PJ77 New Member

Thanks for the update. I'd rather have some info on the progress than nothing at all. Managing expectations of the community goes a long way to reducing the frustration level, though it'll never quash it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  24. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

It's pretty mind blowing that, if I am not mistaken, there's about 155 GB of content available and folks on PS5 can't even install half of that. The more content is released, the more difficult it is for PS5 users to manage. I was actually spending more time trying to figure out which routes to install than actually playing. Ended up giving up and moving on to something else. I can't be the only one. Looking forward to some updates now that DTG can prioritize the issue.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

It’s astonishing how quick dlc for the shiny new tsw3 arrives though. They must have dozens of folk to work on that.
    Meanwhile we know there’s one individual assigned to this.
    Frustration isn’t the word for it any more.

• Like Like x 5
  26. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

With the combination of the lack of Add Ons Manager and no Save game I've hardly played since TSW3 came out.

Got back on the horse last night and enjoyed a quick IoW 2022 run, after manually enabling Save Game, but going back To The Trains and seeing less than half my routes in soul destroying.

Can't come fast enough in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  27. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

The save games issue have been sorted and they have now moved to the add on manager so it should move a long a bit more quicker now hopefully

• Like Like x 2
  28. DTG JD

For context, we have our Content teams and Engineering teams - Content will work on... content, and Engineering will work on larger core improvements like Save Game (which, whilst we've prioritised, we've also always had someone working on Add-ons Manager) and Add-ons Manager. That's now their priority to get created and tested - in the meantime, I completely understand the frustration some of you are feeling with having to play Add-ons Tetris.

• Like Like x 5
  29. antony.henley

But now we have to do it with the PS4.
    I still cant get Birmingham Cross City to work on the PS4 version of TSW 3 (on my PS5) because it means I have to uninstall TSW 3 completely on the PS4 then re-install with upto 50 items of DLC (mainly removing all the US, french, Swiss and the Canadian content and only having all the UK and German content (totalling 45 items). However I have recently done an install of all UK & German stuff on my PS4 pro, which I can use for the time being but then I am not using upto a 1/3 of the DLC that I have bought and paid for as well for certain routes the Gen 8 limits apply.

Hentis

30. DTG JD

We're aware of this issue as well - the end solution is Add-ons Manager, which makes it even more important that we can get it out as quickly and safely as possible.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

It's really annoying if it's not released this year specially with the new route next week because I probably can make space to install it (just) but without layers. Where I feel like I'm missing out on the full experience.

I know it's not really DTGs fault but definitely it has gone on for too long now.

Does anyone know the size of the new route?

• Like Like x 1
  32. Stephen Crofts

DTG JD
    I think the point of my post wasn't so much about teams doing what teams do, but the language presented to us that gives us the imagery of many people working on dlc, but a solitary engineer working on the add on manager. There's a sense that distribution of resources in dtg isn't so heavy on the engineering side in that getting broken things working takes an age, but dlc crop up bang on schedule and seemingly more rapidly recently (and that after a lull to concentrate on core issues affecting the game, we were told). For example, for much of the time for Spirit of Steam's development we were told of how one engineer was working on the changes needed for simugraph etc. And later one person was working on the steam particle effects. It's great that we are fed these updates and information and I think the community is grateful for the updates, but at the same time it sounds as if the engineering folk that are needed for our very big ongoing issues at the moment are very small in number compared to elsewhere in the company and yet have multiple priorities to handle.

• Like Like x 2
  33. DTG JD

I think it's more the complexity of the issues, rather than the size of the respective teams. Generally, the Engineering teams will deal with the 'unsexy' back-end bits around game infrastructure, performance, and core improvements, which are often more complex to map out and execute as they interact with - in some cases - all of the game.

In Add-ons Manager's case, we've had to rewrite the entire way the game loads Add-ons to build it, which is no small feat.

• Like Like x 5
  34. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Just more waffle from JD and nothing we haven’t heard before. Yes it might be no small feat but you have had over a year to complete this feat. We know that during most of this time only one person has been working on it but in the meantime whole teams are working on new content.

The mention of nothing concrete before Christmas means we will be waiting until next year. Currently have less than a third of my routes playable without having to delete one to install another. Games for which I have payed a lot of money for.

The bottom line is that it is likely that the number of players playing on PS5’s is still relatively small and therefore not a priority to fix this for DTG.

• Like Like x 4
  35. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

As a PS5 player, I’m definitely feeling undervalued as a customer right now.

Partly because of DTG and partly because Sony has limited the console to put us in this mess in the first place. That’s not to mention the trophy restrictions and the seemingly poor optimisation of TSW 3 on PS5 given how long it takes the game to load from shutdown to the main menu.

Then when more and more issues are cropping up with new content, I’m sure DTG can fully understand and appreciate my loss of love for the game. A game should always be fun and an escape, not a hassle or a headache.

• Like Like x 9
  36. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Like me your not valued as a customer because we are a small minority. As this game goes investment in a PS5 is turning out to be a waste of money. The most annoying and frustrating thing is that DTG were made aware of the issue, although it was admitted that they missed it, before the PS5 went on sale and could have warned prospective purchasers.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

The thing which is annoying most of all is that no other game has this issue. Yes we can blame Sony for putting the limit on in the first place but surely they would have informed everyone about it. Why can't DTG load everything into the core like other games instead of us sitting waiting to see if there is a fix coming.

Also what if Microsoft followed Sony and put a similar limit on the Xbox

• Like Like x 3
  38. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

They can't load everything into the core otherwise there will be people out there that have only a few routes but the game installation takes up not far off 1/3 of their SSD

So until DTG deliver us the add on manager, we are jammed under the bus DTG throwed us under so long ago now

• Like Like x 1
  39. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Reading the excuses for the amount of time this is taking and how one person is working on it , gives the impression that DTG is not a big company but a couple of enthusiasts in a shed , who are in over their heads. I find the way that we the customers are treated is a massive insult .
    DO BETTER DTG !!

• Like Like x 1
  40. antony.henley

Personal opinion is they should have had more engineers on it in the first place, shoulda, woulda, coulda. But I am now a lowly paid government stoolie and care worker and not Console Code savvie so I really dont understand to a degree how much work has had to go in apart from What Matt and both JD has said. The fact that Sony advertises that "Play has no limits" is simply laughable. Also before any starts going on about it being mostly DTG's fault for not reading the dev manual or the Programming the PS5 for Dummies manual page for page? How many of you people Read the set up instructions of the manual before playing something, building something or using a console or other electrical appliance for the first time, We skip things and miss things and then look back later to see when we have a problem and go ...."oh yeah it said it there" type moment.

Having said that its till leads me now with only being able to use 15 routes and about 5 loco dlcs out of 66 items of DLC and that is seriously frustrating. I can't really see us getting this till at least February (and yes I would want this to be fully working and testing and not rushed as JD mentioned) and that's the real kicker. Anything that gets released I will not be able to use on the PS5 version of TSW 3 or the PS4 version of TSW3 (on the PS5). I might be able to get it installed on the PS4 Pro version of TSW 3 but for how much longer.

Hentis

• Like Like x 4
  41. Stephen Crofts

So, I’ve missed something. This is now affecting ps4 too?
    Is this the same dlc limit issue or something sinisterly similar?

42. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

It’s really kind of stunning that they were far enough along on the add on manager to release the TSW2 version like the same week that TSW3 came out, yet they didn’t think to build TSW3 around this new feature.

For all the hype, TSW3 is basically the same game as TSW2 so it can’t be that hard to add the same feature. I guess maybe they are using the TSW2 version as a beta test?

Also they really should have taken the opportunity during TSW3 development to find a way to include all rolling stock in the core game, so that layers would work on locos/carriages you own without needing to install the entire route they came from.I get why they wouldn’t want to include all routes in core game with an “unlock” system like most games use cause that would fill everyone’s hard drive but locos are only like 150-200mb. IE right now if I want to use the red BR 182 on any route I need RT installed even if I don’t want to ever play RT. If that loco was just plugged into the base game it’s layers could exist without needing the route taking up space.

One a side note eventually the 64gb limit could poke its head out again even after the manager. Probably when eventually just the German content adds up to over 64, and if a new German route uses layers from all the prior routes it will need to load all those DLC…

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  43. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You raise an interesting point about how future layers could have us exceed the 64GB limit. Although, by that stage, the PS5 would probably struggle to run the game at all. It really struggles in some parts of routes now - like SEHS Extended when coming towards Ebbsfleet and Ashford. I did a run on that route today and in those areas it got very slow and sticky.

• Like Like x 2
  44. antony.henley

No its a max total of dlc items, that Sony have limited. Which they think is 50 for the PS4. I have 66 items of dlc installed on the Ps4 version of TSW on the PS5. BBC route does not show up on the PS 4.

On the PS4 Pro version I have all German and UK dlc (locos and routes) totalling about 45 items. So I should be able to fit BRO on there.

From my understanding how the DLC Manager will work it will only mount the rolling stock of what is needed and not the routes. So we should be ok for a few years lol. But I get your point.

Hentis

45. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Well Roadmap next week and here are the betting odds:-

Just about to go in testing - Evens
    Will be available before Christmas - 200/1

And that will be it until next year.

Of course it’s not routes it stops you playing but layers on routes that have them if you are unable to install all the routes required. A point not often mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

It just seems that we are no closer to it being released. You would think they would want it out before new dlc was released so more people would buy it. Because at the moment what is the point of adding more to the game where I might have to uninstall other routes just to fit it.

And the fact that only tsw is affected by the limit makes it even more annoying

• Like Like x 4
  47. goochdog#5870

I think he sad fact is that PS5 users are in the minority here so they do not seem that bothered to me

• Like Like x 5
  48. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

That's the impression to me too. It should definitely have been out by now

• Like Like x 4
  49. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

I agree 100% to the above 2 replies. We are in a small minority and they are simply not interested. Even if we don’t purchase any of the new DLC, which is being released more often it would appear, it would make little impression on their income. The fact that only one person has been working on this emphasis the point.

Remember them saying they were stopping new projects to fix the issues. That was the best lie yet.

JD just continues to say the same thing and he will again next week.

• Like Like x 4
  50. goochdog#5870

That lie showed their customer base zero respect. How can we trust anything they say again ?

“We understand your frustrations “ well no you don’t do you ? You are not in the same position as us . It’s ironic that the more money spent on DLC by PS5 users the more we have to play Train Sim Tetris (copyright antony.henley) madness

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2