64 Bit Download For Raildriver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaildriverTech, Nov 20, 2018.

1. RaildriverTech

RaildriverTech New Member

• Like Like x 9
  2. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Doesn't work for me but I don't know if anyone else can run the train with RailDriver.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

From the support page:

Download 64 bit BETA version: RailDriverTS2019x64 (2.35 MB) Updated 11/20/18

• Release Notes:
    • Game needs to be installed in the default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    • Non-default drive installations are not supported
    Note anyone that doesn't have railworks in the DEFAULT folder will NOT be able to use this driver

4. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Well that stinks, I don't have the game on the default drive on any of my PCs!

And I've been looking forward to trying this out today for 2 days....

5. ChooChooKeith

ChooChooKeith Active Member

I have my game on my E:/ drive because it has more space on it. Will Raildriver support this in the future? I am also using Windows 10. Is this only for 64 bit .. what about running the 32 bit version with the raildriver? does it matter what drive for that?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  6. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

You can use a junction link in Windows to make the driver work.
    Do the following in an Administrative session of Command Prompt (search for CMD or Command Prompt in the start menu and then right click and select 'Run as Administrator').

==========
    mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks" "<your path to the railworks folder>"
    ==========

Replace the <your path to the railworks folder> but leave the quotations in.
    For example, my Railworks folder is on the E drive.

=========
    mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks" "E:\steam\steamapps\common\railworks"
    =========

But make sure that the "railworks" folder does NOT exist in that location, if it is, delete the folder (as you have the game in a different place) and then you need to reboot your computer before executing the command.

More information about NTFS Junction Points you can read on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. StratPlayer62

Thanks for this, I'll certainly give it a try.

I don't quite understand one part, you say "But make sure that the "railworks" folder does NOT exist in that location". Are you saying be sure Railworks does not exist on the C drive in your example?

8. StratPlayer62

OK I'm trying to do this however I always get an error saying "The system cannon find the path specified"

Currently Steam is installed on my I Drive and TS is installed on my K drive. What do I need to type in this instance?

9. StratPlayer62

I'm not getting anywhere, if you are willing I need some more help.

The game is installed here,
    K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RailWorks

What other info do you need?

10. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Yes, the Railworks folder must not exist on the C:\ drive in the Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common folder.
    As it creates a 'virtual folder' called railworks there, it can't create it if it exists already.

Why is Steam installed on the I:\ drive, Windows should always be installed to the C:\ drive, even if a dual-boot is used, the drive should be recognized as C:\
    You can try to change the first part (with C:\) for I:\ and then the rest of the folder, but I don't think that will work.

As the program seems hard coded to check to a specific path try to create in the C:\ drive the folder structure as mentioned above.
    So, in C:\ create a folder called "Program Files (x86)" and in that folder "Steam" in that folder "steamapps" and finally in there "common" so you have the full folder structure as mentioned above (if any folder already exist, then just create the folder in that one.

If you don't have a C:\ drive, then the installation is not as default and you need to wait until the program is no longer hard coded and it can check for example where railworks64.exe is located.

For the other part, this should (after you created the folders on the C:\ drive) be your code.

========
    mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks" "K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RailWorks"
    ========

11. StratPlayer62

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

12. MaryE

MaryE New Member

Thank you for your hard work getting the Beta version out. I have good news and bad news on my testing so far.

My Train Simulator 2019 installation is on the default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common, and I calibrated the RailDriver using the new 64-bit version. The calibration went smoothly. :)

I tested using the Cajon Pass (Standard) Scenario "Dash to Lenwood" for the Dash-9 44CW locomotive. The 32 bit version of this works 100% with the 32-bit RailDriver (I verified that all buttons, switches, and sliders perform as expected).

The results of the testing for the 64-bit diver is as follows: The good news is that the Forward/N/Reverse lever, the Throttle/Dynamic Brake lever, the Auto Brake lever, the Ind Brake lever, the Wiper switch and the Lights switch (which had not worked) now all work as they are supposed to and have no glitches identified.:) Kudos!

Unfortunately, the following buttons either no longer work at all, or were very intermittent (mostly NOT working):
    • Bell button on the top panel (I do not know about the other buttons/switches on this small panel)
    • Driver Interface button (top row)
    • Driver Guide button (top row)
    • Sta/Std Labels button (top row)
    • HUD button (top row)
    • 2D Map button (top row)
    Note 1: the Quit button, Save Prompt and Free Cam buttons (on the top row) work properly.
    Note 2: The bottom row of buttons seem to all work properly.

I hope this helps identify the final touches needed to get the 64-bit version of the driver 100% functional. Have a great day!

In addition to posting this here, I will send this information via the link provided above.

Supplemental Note: After rebooting the PC I was required to run the calibration utility again before the new 64-bit driver was recognized. If I did not run the calibration utility the RailDriver acted exactly the same as it did before running the 64-bit install utility (non-functional for the Throttle, Brakes, etc...).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  13. ChooChooKeith

I have my TS19 on my E Drive and this should not make any difference for hardware. I have the samething for my Flight simulator which uses a Yoke and Peddles and it works great from that drive. not sure why Raildriver cannot do this either.

14. ARuscoe

hardware and software have an interface, and that is the drivers. It's the drivers that are causing this issue, not the end hardware or the end software

• Like Like x 1
  15. ChooChooKeith

I have never had any issue with drivers for Hardware on other simulators. I thought they had fixed this issue though because I read something on it but not sure if it was completed or not.

16. ARuscoe

That makes it sound like an issue with the sim. It's not, it's an issue with the driver...

• Like Like x 1
  17. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

YES! I have a Raildriver but it doesn't seem to be compatible with 64 bit edition.

18. ChooChooKeith

I think they fixed the issue with the driver not seeing the software or vice versa.

19. Buzzman

Buzzman New Member

I just installed 64bit drivers. Works like a dream. I think there is more resolution, my Raildriver seems a little more sensitive to my controls. Thanks.

20. bobajob.nicholls

bobajob.nicholls New Member

If you go to the Steam folder on your desktop, go to Library, right click on Train Sim in your library, you will get an option to start in 64 bit mode, Hope this helps

21. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Can't use my RailDriver because TS is installed on my E drive. C drive ran out of space. Currently TSW is the only train sim I have installed on my C drive. So if they come out with RailDriver support for that, it would be awesome.

This is still a beta version and hopefully it's possible to fix the issue once the final version is released. Otherwise my RailDriver will pretty much be a useless brick unless they come out with support for TSW.

22. StratPlayer62

There is a newer version of the beta driver that allows you yo use TS if it is installed on a drive other than C.

• Like Like x 2
  23. ChooChooKeith

do you have the link to the new beta driver? or is that the one above just in case I want to buy the Raildriver.
    Thanks

24. ARuscoe

It's on the raildriver website.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Quite honestly I don't like this new RD software program, it is far too constrictive in its usability. A prime example, I allocate two of the blue buttons to reset and pause my TrackIR but this RD Software only allows you to use pre-defined keybinds via a pre-programmed drop down menu
    Secondly due to the way some loco throttles are the throttle/dyn brake lever isn't the best candidate to use so I use the Loco brake lever as my throttle in these cases (got that idea from Matt Peddlesden but alas that was re-scripting just for the 32bit MacroWorks 3.1), unfortunately this new 64bit RD software doesn't give you the scope or flexibility to do so.
    I now use a third party software that thankfully allows me to do all that and much much more.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

Just realised that I got the idea of controlling TrackIR using blue buttons from the post telling me that it won't work :) I do use the software and I think quite good, but I agree with your comments, Reef.

In addition to the issues that you highlight, I'd like to add that running Calibration asks for Administrator access, which seems a bit silly when I can use my regular user for both Steam/TS2021 and for the RaiilDriver software. Fortunately, Calibration isn't needed very often so I can just run it once and then copy the file across.

edit: I've tried the 3rd party RD software as well. It seems good and solves my issue with calibration requiring admin access. Plus, in theory it will let me use my 6 lever throttle quadrant on steam trains, nice.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  27. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I have been using Raildriver and Joystick by Cobra One for 4 years now. Much more flexibility and it works wherever tour TS is installed.

28. allisonjade

allisonjade New Member

Undoubtfully, it works perfectly for me.