PC Interesting Bug... Back To The Power Loss Bug (new Problem).

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gascan, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Heading north on the SPG with a couple of CW4000ACs and an autorack conga line just snapping screenshots in notch 6 approaching a 1.3% grade at about 50mph and suddenly my speed drops gradually to 0. Checked all my cab settings to make sure I hadn't accidentally hit the reverser or brakes using a key... but everything is fine.

Anyone else have anything like this happen on this route or any other? I know it's early but if a few of us have the issue then it'll be worth pushing in a formal ticket.

2. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

lol they don't care about bugs in HH, they have moved onto other DLC

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Probably true sadly. Aw well figured I’d float it out here and see if people had experienced it since this recent update-

4. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Aaaaaand now working the SD38 in the short haul coal job it basically loses power and I had to restart after stopping to drop off the coal cars. Following that I end up jumping in a GP40 to run a job up north and get a red signal. No problem- tab it and get permission to proceed at restricted speed. Fail for crossing red signal.

Guess this is what happens when you finally start playing more than just the CWs...

5. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Do you have the alerter turned on?

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Thanks for asking but no.

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'm the king of the wooooooooooooooooooooooooooorld!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Eh, this stuff might be fixed with the future US loco physics update. Not sure, but there's a chance. Knowing DTG, there an equal chance it won't be.

I think this happened to me once. Don't change cabs if the scenario doesn't tell you to, IIRC that's what caused the problem for me.

9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

New physics are coming to HH.

10. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Took me a second to notice the engineer T-posing while at the controls. Solid form indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Yeah- reminds me of Leo on the bow of the titanic.,.

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Since the patch I've purchased the bundle with NEC and a few other things on it to take advantage of the 50% off sale... and the power loss issue I had has followed me into NY. On a different computer altogether... suddenly throttle just stops responding. Actually that isn't entirely true... I think in general it "sounds" like it is responding and also looks like the exhaust is increasing but there is no actual acceleration.

Since it's happened on two totally different machines in two totally different modules I suspect this isn't just a "me" thing... anyone else?

13. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It sounds like you may be accidentally putting the reverser in the neutral position. If the reverser is in the neutral position the engine speed will increase but no power will go to the traction motors. The throttle A/D keys are right next to the reverser W/S keys, so it's easy to do.

14. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Thing is I go back to the cab to verify and that’s not the case. I’ll try and catch it on video... shouldn’t be hard it’s happened in almost every run I’ve made since the patch.

15. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Can anyone give me some hints about this? I bought NEC recently on special and had the GP40 ordered a long time ago... NEC shows up but the GP40 does not. What am I missing?

As I mentioned above I have run the GP40 before... but now it's non-existent in game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  16. Digital Draftsman

It could be because the GP40-2 was installed before the NEC DLC. Have you tried uninstalling the GP40-2 by unchecking that tick box and letting the game update, then recheck that box and it should reinstall it?

17. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

i tried everything and its still dont work

18. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'll give that a try...

No joy... I'll try a total uninstall reinstall-

Thank god for unlimited data plans.

edit: That'll delete my profile though won't it... for what it's worth all that "progress" or whatever it is will be deleted won't it...

19. Digital Draftsman

It's disappeared from my game as well! Yet another brilliant update from DTG!

20. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

DTG knows about it

21. Anthony Pecoraro

Yes, DTG knows about the problem.

22. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Okay- so back to the loss of power problem...

Here's a link to when the problem actually shows itself. I think it has to do with extended external views... ie: I experience it when I'm taking screenshots.

23. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Ah... I think this may not actually be a bug. In US locos, you have to wait about 10 seconds while switching between dynamic brakes and the throttle. In real life, this actually fries the traction motors. In the game, IIRC (which I may not have) you have to shut down and restart the engine.

EDIT: And yep, GP40-2 is missing from my game as well.

24. Anthony Pecoraro

You need to wait about 10 seconds after using the dynamic brakes before using the throttle again.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Digital Draftsman

You don't have to wait 10 seconds, though you should. On the GP38-2 and SD40-2 there's a relay which achieves the required 10 second delay between throttle/dynamic brake switch over, so even if you switch between the two in less than 10 seconds no braking/acceleration will occur until that relay closes after 10 seconds. This is replicated in TSW, so if you open the dynamic brake, close it, then apply power quickly and watch the load meter, you'll see after 10secs the amps jump up as the loco takes power again, same happens the other way.

This isn't what's happening to Gascan and I can't replicate what's going on in the video.

26. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I just had it happen again and it actually shows a surge when I take off dynamic and start applying power again. Thanks for looking guys- I’ll post another video when it’s done exporting / uploading.

Also, I see the directives on the loco itself that I shouldn't be applying traction brakes within 10 seconds of throttle but not the other way around. As Digital mentions it sounds like the loco is designed to be smarter than the engineer in that this function is built in-

So as I go forward I'll try and be more diligent in my transitions either way but if what DD is saying is true then something else is going on.

27. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

The moment of the surge is about 0:53 and after that all motor response evaporates.

28. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Another couple of interesting artifacts...

EOTD on the front?
    [​IMG]

Thought this was sun reflecting off a mirror which was neat until I tried it at 2100 in the winter...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. Digital Draftsman

I managed to replicate the issue. I think that jolt in amps you get when you change between the dynamic brake and throttle is causing an issue for TSW, it's definitely a glitch because if you go from dynamic brake straight to Notch 8 throttle it doesn't seem to care, but if you just put it in Notch 1 or 2 it doesn't like it, plus you should get a warning light or bell ring if something has been overloaded. The best thing to do is to wait the 10 seconds to avoid the issue. If you do find yourself in that position again, you can shut the engine down and then restart it, that seemed to clear the issue for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Thanks DD it seems it’s easy to work around so I’ll do that. Hopefully anyone else having the issue sees this and learns how to deal with it since I’m dubious it’ll get anything more than class Z priority

• Like Like x 1
  31. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Okay so it seems this bug has evolved slightly. Just now... running CSX: HH working on this week's screenshot theme and about 10 minutes in I look over from free view and see that my speed is at 0. I go back to the cab... everything is in order. Still reading amps as well- unlike the bug before that seemed to short out everything... I would change the throttle setting and it would register a change in amperage- but no movement. Sanding... notch 8... back to 0 and up again... everything registered except movement.

I've done this run a lot pre patch and never had an issue... since that last autumn patch this is a regular occurrence in spite of not having touched the dynamic brakes (which was the cause of the previously described bug.)

I know this isn't the bug forum- but still curious if I'm the only one a) impacted by the bug or b) who even still uses CSX: HH.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  32. Nick_Brad

Nick_Brad Member

I do plan to go back to HH when I've finished playing around on LIRR, (for all it's issues, I'm still getting some enjoyment out of it,) I find it laughable that DTG can routinely create new bugs when fixing old ones. Surely they must have experienced this in the original development phase and so should be checking before releasing any patches.

33. Anthony Pecoraro

The new physics will be coming soon.