Simrail 2021 Vs Tsw2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by arapajoe3, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

So... My button in steam with invitation, to download the game... dissappeared :/

2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It will be back today before 8 PM CET

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes I just went to check the store page and noticed that. Unfortunately I won't be able to download until later as we normally watch a movie or some TV between 7 and 9 PM GMT, but I will be dashing upstairs with great eagerness after that!

• Like Like x 1
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

ciuh ciuuuh :)
    SR.01.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

I drove 20 min, spent 1hr under red aspect in Zawiercie because AI was unable to let the traffic go, quit the game, tried for 30 min join the other server xD fun like hell just to try and catch free train :D Guess I will wait for single player tests.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

Couldn't hold the server connection. Will try again tomorrow.

Hopefully SP mode will be available to test at some point.

7. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

same here :D
    i'm gonna wait the 13th january. Multiplayer does not interest me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ll start keeping an eye on SimRail now that I know it is coming to PS5 at some point. I don’t think I’d want to be one of the first players on any platform though. I have enough bugs to be concerned about in TSW without enduring the bugs of a brand new title. How much it costs will be a factor too, I’m not made of money.

9. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

As per their roadmap singleplayer tests should begin on 21.12

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

And finally the game has DLSS and FSR :)
    Much more graphic options and overall stability. Not bad at all for a "beta"

• Like Like x 1
  11. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Simrail looks promising and I hope it does well. I am not interested in multiplayer at all so I most likely won't pick it up. Apparently a German and US map (Hawaii, Alaska) is coming as well in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, I wish Simrail every success. The market needs more players.

But I'm not an early- adopter, so I will watch, wait and read.

And the geographical coverage will be important for me. I wouldn't jump until there was some serious US content.

13. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Gave the playtest a try. As said, at the moment it's multiplayer only, which seems an interesting choice. I've given it a very cursory go, and managed to sit in a train for 5 minutes at a red light without managing to get it to move. There's no manual for any trains, though at least you can learn how to drive those in the Prologue - what's worse is there's no manual anywhere so far for running the signal boxes. So, you've got no way of practicing driving or signalling before going right in with other users.

The positives are it looks very nice, but seems to have borrowed more than a few ideas from TSW in presentation style. It seemed to run quite well on my average gaming laptop on medium settings, so hopefully the optimisation is a bit better.

It's got potential, but I'm quite disappointed that they apparently haven't yet got out of the Katowice conurbation in track building, let alone managing to get all the way to Warsaw as promised. If they have, they're keeping it well hidden. One to watch, but be prepared for a confusing test experience.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Wait, are you saying they are more than a year late and have not even managed to finish the game even halfway? That is hilarious.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonne TSW started from what hah nothing so dont bag it we all know u will play it

16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. OldVern

I shall probably wait until then.

18. robbo2k

robbo2k Member

a) Currently there is a section Katowice - Opoczno section, but trains from distant cities, e.g. Warsaw, Częstochowa, run on it
    b) there is voice chat and radio communication
    c) the trains run automatically according to the schedule and the game is about "entering the AI train and taking control" in the place where it is scheduled.
    d) signal boxes are operated by AI or humans.
    e) there is a server only for train drivers, the signal box supports only AI, which eliminates the problem of incompetent traffic dispatchers
    f) if you are stopped by a red light, you must use the radio (just press the button on it)
    g) railway signal boxes in AI mode work efficiently. It ran almost an hour on a driver-only server. single-player mode
    should be good.
    h) ED250 currently only AI
    i) in the game are currently:
    EU07 locomotive with passenger cars and EU07 in the PKP CARGO version with freight cars.
    Bombardier Traxx locomotive in freight traffic
    electric multiple unit Pesa Elf (local trains)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  19. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Which button exactly?

20. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

Try zew 1 or zew 3 on the radio.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rybnicki

I mean, defend it all you like but the fact you're having to explain all this on a forum for a different game, rather than me being able to consult a manual (in English or Polish, I'm not fussy!) suggests something might be not quite right. And why are they launching multiplayer first? In what universe does that make sense?

• Like Like x 2
  23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is the crucial part of the game and this means more time for eventual fixes :)

24. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Well the prologue was a single player experience so it was time to show off some multiplayer. Probably to do server stress tests and look for any bugs and stuff lol

25. OldVern

Thus far not impressed. Can't even get on the game. All the trains shown are to start 30 or more minutes time, I don't want to be sat looking at the screen doing nothing for that time. When I do try and connect the server just drops then left with what appears to be a loading screen going nowhere and had to Task Manager out of it. They need to unlock the single player mode now as, frankly, the MP side is rubbish.

• Like Like x 2
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Choose 'drivers only' server type :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. OldVern

I'll give that a try later.

• Like Like x 1
  28. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

different horses for different courses ....

haven't played it after some initial sampling which left me not that positive. Need to fire it up again to see if improvements have been made.

the concept of different roles and multiplayer is interesting.

dispatching/controlling from a signalbox is new.

In Run8 an external CTC style dispatching panel has been released in free alpha. Works well.
    Many sims have a control/data interface in lua or some other language, allowing these external programs to hook up to the sim.
    Not TSW on UE probably, where everything is locked down to prevent external control, read tampering :0(

• Like Like x 1
  29. Rybnicki

Well it's working, I'm certainly stressed!

• Like Like x 1
  30. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Just had a great run, hauling freight for about 25mins. Was looped and held for faster passenger services, v nice.

If you're having issues connecting, try the DE server, worked smoothly for me, plus English speaking luckily. The English server for beginners was not good at all, just kept being logged out without doing anything - I think it's probably overloaded.

P.s It helps a bit if you have Train Driver 2 experience! (check out Matt from JT's video about a year ago I think)

• Like Like x 1
  31. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Users spotting :)
    Bescot, Vern, its you?

SR.02.png

• Like Like x 2
  32. Rybnicki

Hawaii? I worry whoever said that was having a little joke...

33. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Which servers are people generally using? I think there's an issue where if a human signaller leaves, AI doesn't take over leading to a red signal fest, and lots of us avatars hanging around on the tracks wondering whats going on (which is actually quite a novel experience in train sims actually!)

34. Rybnicki

Just did this, 5 times in a row I spawned in a train stuck on between two other trains with about 3m distance either side. This is exactly why I'm glad Dovetail haven't wasted serious time on a multiplayer, it's just too open to griefing and against everything I use a train sim for.

EDIT: Spent another 20 minutes trying to get in a train that could move. Eventually spawned in a moving train heading into Katowice station at 45kph. Managed to get it to stop before the end of the platform, opened the doors and tried to set up for the rest of the trip. Passenger lights seemed to be turned off, couldn't find a button on the desktop for switching them on, stood up and looked round the cab for one. Zoomed in on one point, game crashed. Restarted, desperately trying to get back in the train I was just in before its departure time came. Think I found it, but it had moved on to the next station and was stuck behind a TLK train. Gave up, tried to read the forums for help, the forums were down. I wouldn't be writing this here otherwise.

The thing I really don't get is there's no way of reporting bugs you do find. The in-game link to a test 'survey' leads to a closed forum post, and there's no apparent form for submitting reports. I absolutely don't mind signing up for a middling experience as a beta tester, but I don't feel I'm testing anything in any way. It feels like they wanted to release a demo of the multiplayer, but wanted to separate that from the previously-released Prologue, so now I have a 50Gb program on my computer that does nothing.

This, this is why you don't launch beta with multiplayer only. Don't think I'll be touching it again until single player comes online.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The official forum is full of activity. Try to register there :) It is possible to report bugs there as well.

I made few runs without problems in the server you mentioned.

Probably you connected to the trains on the end of the path, with all the schedules completed. The server is restarted every 3h // as well the timetable with all trains. I suggested to add an info on the screen.

This is an early not so user-friendly stage of the game. True!

BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  36. OldVern

I got on eventually after opening up my firewall settings, Simrail already checked, so closed it and it worked.

There is now an official forum but I think at the moment only for those involved in the play test. I see the function of this thread as providing an overview and comparison, if DTG are happy for that type of discussion. I'm sure they're watching with interest and maybe even having a little play themselves.

Anyhow the experience was quite enjoyable at least up until the point the AI signalling gave up and all the trains ended up sat at red. Looks like they still have a but of work to do on that aspect. Hitting the radio button did nothing. In terms of driving the EU07 is a bit of a beast and I should probably have started with an easier train. Physics seem okay as does the sound, though have to say track sounds aren't great. Very little swoosh or clickety clack and the point/crossing noise a bit tinny. Objectives a bit skewed as I was losing points for not stopping at locations, when I was working a freight train and the times were shown for passing, not calling.

I will do a bit more later on, but my first impressions are that yes it is good, but it will complement the other train sims out there, not replace them - including DTG's TSW and TSC. Looks like there is a route editor but we don't know at this stage how easy or hard it will be or what 3D modelling packages etc it will support. It could take years to build up a portfolio of routes even compared to what we have now in TSW let alone TSC or MSTS/OR.

I will almost certainly be buying the full version in January but, as I said, it will sit alongside my other train sims not wipe them out.

• Like Like x 1
  37. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It is hard to imagine SR competing TSW in single-player. Yesterday I played a lot of SR then jumped into BRO, I took the 110 for a ride, and this had me to admit, the just-drive experience in TSW is really good. SR is going to be more about driving for a reason, about interaction, so when you are late, other people on the track are late too. In TS we are trains, in TSW we are trains drivers, in SR we are part of the railway network. Different products, in my opinion. This is good for us! And the beasty EU is close as beasty as the now fixed very good BR 110 :) BR o7

I hope Matt got his invitation and already enjoyed SR too :D

• Like Like x 1
  38. OldVern

Yes as I say breblimator one will complement the other. Prior to trying SR I had reached the shunting scenarios on DCZ Journey mode. Imagine my pleasant surprise when the G6 subbed in for the twitchy (but still nice) 363.

At this point I just think we are blessed to have so many great train sim products to choose from, yes even Trainz included in that assertion at least for route building. Compare that to 20 years ago when MSTS was still a relative infant and we had only just set aside the text based programmes.

• Like Like x 3
  39. Rybnicki

Yes, as I said the forum was down when I last tried to read it. I'm not interested in registering there, just lurking is enough, as it isn't so busy either in Polish or English imo.

I also didn't mention a specific server - I tried 5 different ones last night, all with the same result. And it wasn't at the end of the route, most were stopped halfway along.

• Like Like x 1
  40. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Be brave. It is free beta after all. I am more lucky :)

Katowice - Ząbkowice part is mostly OK. Perhaps AI driven black hole in Ząbkowice is problematic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2022
  41. OldVern

Yes at least they are providing something for the potential end user base to test rather than relying on poorly paid drones in a Romanian or Indian sweat shop with no real interest in the subject matter. And hopefully listening to the feedback so that what emerges on 13th January has at least in part been influenced and guided by our feedback.

• Like Like x 2
  42. OldVern

Still having server disconnect issues. What I did get to load basically put me in a loco which couldn't be activated... :( Back to my G6 on DCZ for now.

43. Averrnor

Averrnor Member

Do you mean, that after load loco is on auto? There is a message on top of the screen about autodrive. When you click it, it gives you the control over the train.

If it is not a case, than my apologies :)

44. OldVern

Yes I click to clear the autodrive. All cab systems are enabled but the pantographs are down and cannot be raised. Tried cycling the battery on and off and following the sequence as described in the EU07 help guide at the official forum, but no joy. Probably connected to the server issue I'm having.

Edit: And now after the update, the game won't start at all. Not having much luck with this!! :mad::mad:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  45. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

I’ve had some runs in SimRail now and I’m overall happy with the simulator so far.

Sometimes I've been held at a red signal for a very long time, this is due to problems with the AI dispatcher. The only solution is to quit.
    Most of the time I use the EN server for beginners or EU7 drivers only.

Some of the sessions have been successful and I have had the chance to really enjoy the EU07 locomotive which has quickly become a favorite of mine. It took some time to master the regulator, and I have learned today that you can't fine control the train brake with keys only, you need to use the mouse to avoid jumping straight to the full-service brake position.

The sound on EU07 is great. Lighting and shadows are far better than in TSW. Still, it has a very limited draw distance which I'd really like to see improved in later releases.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  46. OldVern

After the update last night I couldn't even get the game to start. Going to verify the files later, see if that fixes it. However that and the server disconnect issue means I am starting to not really feel the love about this any more.

47. Oystein

More than a month to release, but I think they should have given the playtest more time due to all the bugs we experience. On the other hand we got an update just two days after the testing did start, so the devs seem to be very active right now.

I think one of the main problems are AI dispatcher and/or that the trains doesn't get removed if a player disconnect/leaves.

I hope verifying the game files will fix it for you, so that you can enter the menu at least :)

48. OldVern

Well I got the game to run after verifying the files but straight into the same problem - server disconnecting and putting me in a train that cannot be powered up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if so. nothing obvious. Think that's it for now at least until the SP trial unlocks. DTG, for all your faults you have nothing to worry about here.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Oystein

Never had any issues with trains that can't be powered up. Every time I start a session the loco is ready, only need to release the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  50. OldVern

I think it's probably connected to the server connection issue.