Upcoming Release Announcing The Holiday Express - Runaway Elf!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Cool idea :cool:

2. benuildo

benuildo Member

All I want for Christmas is the Addons Manager... but I must say I like this little dlc and I think I will buy it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Using the power of the unique Richie Rails F7 and a freely switchable layout of track

Finally freight shunting comes to TSW :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

We've had this sort of thing before in MSTS, it seems to me

5. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

I guess it's ok for some, but for me, fictional stuff is not the reason I play TSW, so it's a no from me.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Glad you see it this way. I agree that TSW has far to many unsolved bugs and a lot of improvement is needed there, but I think it is an excellent decision to create this DLC. Let me explain why.
    I used to be responsible to set priorities for a team that did innovations and maintenance of the customer administration for a big energy trading company. These people were always very busy and working hard to do their job and people around the team always wanted more. So what I did is organize a hackaton. I told the team, however busy we are we want to spend two full days of work to have fun, try new things and see what comes of it. It was fun motivation of the team increased, they learned a lot of new very useful stuff. For instance brand new test methods were developed which have been very helpful, they developed a tool to automate the release process and so on.
    What I can read, DTG devs have used this DLC to try a number of new things and extend their capabilities as well. I am sure it was great fun to do and I am sure this was not a one year project, also seeing what we have to pay for it.

Also, I think it has a lot of commercial value. Maybe not in the UK but it probably will sell quite well in Germany, given what I have seen in the world of German model railroad manufacturers. who do things like advent calendars with each day a model, wagons with a small bottle of booz and so on.They did it for years, so they probably can sell this stuff.

Besides this, just buy it, play with it with our kids, grandchildren, little brothers and sisters and have some fun. January 2nd we can continue nagging about poor software quality again.and I will happily support those complaints because they are fully justified.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

To some extent, I agree such a DLC isn't necessarily a bad thing to exist. I can see myself having fun with it... BUT... I also want to spend Christmas time playing TSW in general, yet many of the routes are in a tragic condition. "Get a cup of tea and play some winter steam services... oh... SPADs... broken physics... ok, let's switch to something else... bugs... bugs... bugs..." Simply put, even a playful DLC like this needed resources... those could've been put somewhere more useful (and by fixing stuff probably generate more revenue than this now). Hell, even QA had to go through this one instead of testing fixes. If the game was 95+% functional, this little toy train would definitely be well received.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

upload_2022-12-8_14-43-55.png
    Though I admit this got a chuckle out of me

• Like Like x 12
  9. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Matt once said that the People who build Routes, Locos and such are not the same People who fix bugs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Well hopefully it ain’t broken and bugged like most of there content

11. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yet DTG is ultimately both the developer and publisher. It's their responsibility to release a good quality product regardless of what team does what as the developer and publisher. EA mostly publish games but get so much criticism for a reason

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers with the ps4/5 players who want this but can’t

• Like Like x 6
  13. darrentee01

darrentee01 Member

Nice idea,thought it might have been a free treat for everyone,won't be buying it

• Like Like x 8
  14. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I like the idea very much but when I look at the images it doesn't look anywhere near the description of what I would envision in that setting. If you want to make something Toy Story alike, at least make it look near what we got in the first Toy Story movie. That movie is so old and the graphics already look way cooler than this creation in 2022.

Sorry but I have to join the sentiment on a hard pass.

• Like Like x 4
  15. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It seems this DLC announcement has created some real negative feedback. DTG have released countless routes when previous DLC's still have issues, why such the hate now? Don't DTG have separate teams to deal with route building, bugs, modelling etc...? It won't be everyone's cup of tea and they know that. I'll buy it as my son will love it and it's a nice bit of festive fun.

Why would you expect it to be given away for free...?

16. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Are you really comparing the budget of Pixar/Disney to DTG...?

• Like Like x 1
  17. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

Skip this piece of you know what and earn 8 pounds/10 dollars/10 euro. Bingo! No need to thank, guys!

18. tallboy7648

Same reason why EA get so much criticism even though they are just a publisher for the most part.

19. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

People who build routes and locos will not be fixing steam physics bugs. But they would be fixing route and locos bugs, like broken cab pzb, or reversed lights.
    It is always most efficient that a bugfix is done by a person that is familiar with the bug subject, be it route, loco, or code.

• Like Like x 3
  20. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

All things aside, hats off to the visual/route artists! This looks like a pretty nice scene, especially with the lighting.

Honestly, my opinion on this DLC is that it's just cute. Nothing more, nothing less. I do wish any potential buyers plenty of hours of fun! I'd genuinely be surprised if this route comes with as much bugs as the others...

• Like Like x 2
  21. antwerpcentral

Yes I'm comparing software used in 1995 to that of 2022. Have you looked at video games lately? There is tons of stuff like this that has a Toy Story vibe. Which look way better than the original Toy Story movie because the tech used today is much more advanced than what was available in 1995.

• Like Like x 3
  22. zorbsie#9738

zorbsie#9738 Well-Known Member

This looks cute. I'll be picking it up and showing my youngest. She might get a kick out of it for a bit. I'm assuming we can take the Richie Rail F7 and put it into real locations with scenario planner. Not a bad deal, I've bought much worse things for $10. :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Boycott. Boycott. Boycott. Dtg what are you doing!?

• Like Like x 6
  24. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Agree!!!

• Like Like x 7
  25. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Yup, just as I predicted, based on the holiday express from TSC.

Also used the F7 as I predicted.

EDIT: I kind of want to see how hard this tanks on steam based on the initial comments on here.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be too hard, this will be a pass for me.

27. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Bunch of scrooges, I swear.

The most miserable community in gaming, hands-down. I'd wager the average age here is higher than just about any other game and so many act like spoiled children when they don't get exactly what they want, right this instant. It's really sad IMO.

Seriously, try to take a critical look at what you're collectively losing your minds over right now.

• Like Like x 19
  28. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Pixar had a budget of $30m. Let’s leave it at that and move on.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

I wonder if it will be a standalone pack, including the game engine, like it's forerunner on Train Simulator. If so it's a cheap way of getting TSW3 and for those of us with TSW2, upgrading all our routes.

• Like Like x 1
  30. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It does look nicely put together and I may or not purchase depending how much Steam Wallet credit is left after buying more priority items.

My only caveat is it would have been nice to see a proper model railway plan, maybe something from Peco or Kalmbach (subject to licensing) then create a story round it where you end up shrunk down in size to go and sort things out. A bit like the old "Model Railway People" stories by Ray Pope... The Model-Railway Men (1): Amazon.co.uk: Pope, Ray, Pope, Mark, Floyd, Gareth: 9780995729117: Books

• Like Like x 2
  31. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think the main thing is to separate issues of the making of DLC itself and the quality of that DLC and the subsequent lack of fixes for many bugs in our minds. Yes, DTG need to put a bigger emphasis on quality and a larger proportion of their dev time, testing and QA into fixing the issues, but none of it is caused by a specific DLC being made, that just adds to the number of DLCs being made. Unfortunately, the DTG wheel spins very fast and they don’t seem to be able to squeeze in time for the fixes we want, but it all does need paying for with the revenue from more DLC. Nothing is ever quite finished and that’s an issue that DTG need to work on (we’ve been saying it for years) and that’s not because they have produced a Christmas DLC, it’s endemic within their entire process. If this DLC hadn‘t been made, I can assure the masses that the time wouldn’t have been spent on fixing bugs, it would have been spent making something else and the bugs would still be there. That’s the sad truth and the image of this nice DLC shouldn’t be tarnished as it isn’t the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Just compare the Toy Story characters' appearance in the original film to how they look in Kingdom Hearts 3.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The price is exactly what I wanted it to be, if there's going to be a version that doesn't require TSW3 to run I will buy it. Mostly because I liked the original and want to try out Car Sim World, but also partially to annoy most of the people on this thread. :D

• Like Like x 1
  34. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Also, I'm kind of surprised the 2 forbidden words haven't been seen on this thread yet....
    (Though it was said on Facebook)

"cAsH gRaB"

• Like Like x 2
  35. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Somebody called them thieves on Youtube

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

So speaking our mind makes us spoiled children. Justifiable criticism makes people a bunch of scrooges because they don't have the same viewpoint as you?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 16
  37. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Stooge or Scrooge?

38. tallboy7648

scrooge. I guess when someone doesn't have a same viewpoint as someone else in these forums, that makes them a scrooge apparently

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  39. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

*yawning*

Wake me up when Niddertalbahn is around the corner.....

• Like Like x 4
  40. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. For a Christmas setting it looks very unwarm and rather gloomy. It could be Mr. Scrooge's house.

• Like Like x 2
  41. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Halloween themed DLC (The Count of Monster Disco... or Trains vs Zombies) confirmed at end of October next year? :P

42. thesouthern#1679

thesouthern#1679 New Member

I think it's a good idea ngl

43. thesouthern#1679

thesouthern#1679 New Member

Stop being the Grinch guys

• Like Like x 1
  44. antwerpcentral

Again, they needed a budget of $30m in 1995. You do realise the cheapest computers today are way more powerful than those used for that movie?

• Like Like x 2
  45. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

No one is trying to be a grinch remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some find this as something they do not want others think differently. And this okay that is their choice.

• Like Like x 5
  46. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I think it looks nice. I enjoyed the original in TSC and I may pick this up seeing as it is at a decent price.

Cheers

47. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

it was

48. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Really? I’m still watching it and it was just a small part at the beginning.

49. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

I feel as if this DLC is getting wayyyy too much hate. Yes DTG should focus mostly on bug fixes and achievement fixes, but this dlc is rlly cute tbh I mean hey, everything is becoming Christmas themed. But at the end of the day I want to see how this plays out I mean the visuals look very nice, but we shouldn't just hate on it because it's "Wasting Resources" Personally I want to see how this dlc plays out, it looks rlly good for the most part, I'm not defending DTG however

• Like Like x 5
  50. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

It's just my opinion and you're free to disagree, but, yeah, i think it's overdone a lot of times around here.

Not sure if it's unrealistic expectations (e.g. why doesn't this $10 throwaway DLC look like a $100M Pixar movie???), or just because there's such a wide variety of tastes, but there's always so much sour grapes for pretty much every release, it just gets depressing.

I'm probably not even going to buy this DLC, but i'm not going to be enraged by its mere existence like so many seem to be- i welcome it, actually, because if we want this hobby to continue (and for sure i do), then a new generation of players is very welcome indeed, and what little kid doesn't like a christmas choo-choo? Isn't the reaction from the community just a bit mean-spirited?

That's the point i was trying to make.

• Like Like x 13