Tsw: Power Up The Pennines

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 3, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Hot on the heels of both the Long Island Rail Road and the BR Class 33, the next British route is rapidly making its way to Train Sim World...

Northern Trans-Pennine: Manchester - Leeds, coming soon in classic, 1980s “British Rail” fashion!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 26
  2. mldaureol

mldaureol New Member

Looking forward to this route.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Looks interesting. Ill wait until release to assess whether or not to buy. Tunnel lighting issues immediately spring to mind and Im not overly keen on being a beta tester for new routes.. I like the choice of period and locomotion choice though :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Take my money why don't you, DTG. Definitely getting this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Wow, this looks great! I did not expect this... I'll certainly take it! Already a nice rolling stock selection!

EDIT: Actually, I might take that back... is there no freight? The lack of freight made sense for LIRR because of low traffic and licensing, but there's no good excuse to leave out freight operations here... you even have a nice class 47 to go with it!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this release looks great.

7. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

Yes! :D Would be better imo if it was set in todays era, but I'll take it!

8. Dash7Studios

Dash7Studios New Member

I concur. I think it would be a totally squandered opportunity to not include freight. Though it is a bit early on to assume they won't, but I will admit it is not looking promising from the screenshots. Without freight I'm sad to say this will be a pass for me. (Not to mention I can barely run TSW anyway since it requires a friggin super-computer!)

• Like Like x 4
  9. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Although I don't expect an answer, I'll ask anyway.

Will the signalling system including the flashing yellow aspects that are missing from GWE, if yes, will these be introduced to GWE?
    Will the issue with AI locomotives not having exhaust be addressed for this DLC, if yes, will the fix be applied to WSR?
    Will the issue where all the coach doors open, even if the platform isn't long enough for the train, be corrected for this DLC and will the fix be applied to WSR?

• Like Like x 10
  10. Wilbnil

Wilbnil Well-Known Member

This looks fantastic. I've been wanting a route set in the past since I played the TSW beta, and I think Britain is the perfect location for that. I think it's a perfect setting and a nice Variety of locos. The models also look great, espesially the 101. Too bad there is no freight though, that would have made this dlc even better for sure.

However I really like the addition of a small british railbus.
    Still wating for a Pacer...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Which stations does it include? manchester.jpg

12. Mkdog45

And on the class 101, can the destination boards be manually changed.

13. Mkdog45

Also is it slam door or are the door operated in cab?

14. Digital Draftsman

upload_2018-12-3_16-19-14.png

It's this section I've highlighted. It's actually called the Huddersfield Line, I don't know why DTG decided to call it the Northern Trans-Pennine as that's not a name I've ever heard it called, though it is part of the TPE "North TransPennine" route from Manchester to Newcastle, so maybe that's confused DTG.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Mkdog45

Thank you. Do you know the answers my other questions

16. Digital Draftsman

I don't know whether the blinds will work, but given DTG doesn't have changable destination boards on other trains in TSW, I would imagine they'll only work for the player and not for the AI. You might be able to change them like the headcode on the Class 33.

The Mk2, Mk1 and Class 101 coaches are all slam door, just like the coaches on WSR.

17. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Well like the LIRR, this looks like a cool idea for a route. Unfortunately like LIRR, DTG will screw it up somehow. I know that nothing will come out perfect, but we all know about DTG's lack of basic quality control. One thing that already disappoints me is even in the first screenshot. They still have leaves on the trees in the winter? I thought they fixed that with RSN. Shouldn't that be standard now for all future routes? And for those hoping for freight, DTG could surprise us, but it most likely won't happen. We'll probably only get 1 train, 1 route, and like 1 or 2 trains per hour in each direction in service mode. Kinda like RT. It's a good idea, but don't get your hopes up that they'll do it right.

• Like Like x 2
  18. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

03BE9E05-47BB-4738-A27C-C608DA2C1628.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

This looks to be a very good route. The inclusion of three trains this time is definitely an improvement from Long Island Rail Road. It is also nice to see Dovetail Games creating historical content for TSW as well. However, I am disappointed by the lack of freight in this route as the Class 47 could be used to haul freight services. The weathering on the locomotives is a nice new addition, which I would presume is only possible because British Rail is a historic company which no longer operates.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Paul Williams

Paul Williams New Member

You wouldn’t want flashing yellows for this route in 1983, it would be entirely unrealistic for this route at that time. Also, and I say that as someone who was intimately familiar with this route at the time as a student commuting between Manchester and Newcastle, I’m not even 100% sure this route had AWS then.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. Thomasclass142oconnor

Thomasclass142oconnor New Member

Is this coming on xbox one

22. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

From what's been said, this route didn't have AWS at all in 1983. Makes me feel safe just thinking about it.

23. Denrapid93

Denrapid93 New Member

Very likely within an short time (month) after pc release like previous dlc's.

• Like Like x 1
  24. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

I’m pleased with the route choice and era. Second the comments about the lack of freight but hopefully the editor can address this in years to come with 3rd party add-ons / good freeware. I really hope they’ve managed to address the lifeless cities with this one but I fear not given it appears to have been developed alongside LIRR. I would even take those god forsaken Train Simulator 20xx red London buses right now, just something to get moving road traffic into the environment. Ghost town Leeds and Manchester here we come.........

• Like Like x 2
  25. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

The thing is there's moving traffic in gwe.. so what happened?

26. Digital Draftsman

When would flashing yellows have been implemented in the area? I know the intial application of flashing yellows was in the late 70s on the Western before being rolled out country wide.

The route into Piccadilly station had AWS and fairly new colour light signals, whether that resignalling extended onto the link line (as far as the Huddersfield Line) to Victoria I don't know.

27. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

It’s in Heavy Haul too so we know it can be done. It’s not like they just haven’t got around to coding that bit yet. My guess is getting rid was a quick fix to try and squeeze a couple more frames out in response to performance criticism, especially when they were also prepping for the less capable consoles. Sounds silly when it’s a train sim not a road sim, but like so many have observed those big empty highways in the US DLCs are just shameful immersion destroyers. An occasional car trundling alongside you as you curve along the valleys in RSN would just make it so much more alive. I appreciate filling the 10 lane US highways will hit performance quite hard but with appropriately modelled LOD limited traffic should not be a major drain on system resources. There’s tonnes of feedback on this forum about it - no excuse to not address given they can and do issue patches “in response to (our) valuable feedback”.....

• Like Like x 1
  28. _Crash_

_Crash_ Member

Didn't expect this, so fast.

29. Mr395008

Mr395008 Member

Stunning screenshots :love:

30. rftech

rftech New Member

I like the route and locos,but I don't like the lack of freight.

• Like Like x 4
  31. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I will pick this up when it arrives on PS4

32. _Crash_

_Crash_ Member

They really need to fix the leaves in winter issue.

• Like Like x 2
  33. raildan

Please tell me they can model a freight wagon or two in the next few months... it isn't too late, is it?

• Like Like x 2
  34. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Based on previous releases, the route will probably come out in 2019. I think most, if not all of, the staff go on holiday over the Christmas period. We can expect the editor beta (most likely) just before DTG closes up shop for the year, then sometime in January or February the NTP. Who knows - maybe there is freight stock that isn't ready to show off yet. As a slight aside, the destination blind on the 4th screenshot looks amazing! It also looks like 3D ballast is making a return, or at least something that looks like it.

35. Mkdog45

Do you think Great western will get an addon

36. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Just something to note before it’s too late to make changes (hopefully it isn’t) the cab windows are a little off in the model below.

Instead of all being the exact same size, the two outer windows should be slightly larger than the middle window. As a result, the outer windows should be more towards the edge of the body as shown in the real life picture below.

D823C47B-77AC-4E21-8175-F88FB93AE4BE.jpeg FD17C169-AB2C-4E89-A2A4-CAE1B29F32A6.jpeg

37. Digital Draftsman

The corner radii are also wrong, the radius should be tighter. Additionally the desitination box is the wrong size and sits in the wrong place when compared to the cantrail stripe and windows.

It's probably academic at this point as DTG will almost certainly regard it as too late in the day to change it. If they change the model they'll have to redo the some of the UV Mapping, rebake the textures, update the diffuse/normal/specular/reflection maps and do the same for the cab textures. Making changes to the front will probably throw out the relative positions of some other bits, leading to an unending cycle of changes. The shape of the model is something that it's important to get right in the early stages of development as the later you leave it the more work it is to change it.

• Like Like x 1
  38. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

Ill be picking this up when it arrives on XBOX One

39. Zulnex

Zulnex New Member

Looking forward to the release very much.

40. John Murphy

No excuse. It's gonna happen as it usually does. It's gonna get all hyped up here on the forums, then it comes out, then people complain about all the problems that probably won't get fixed. I'm almost ready to just give up on this game.

• Like Like x 1
  41. John Murphy

Tell me about it. People are like "The route's still a work in progress!" but we all know the leaves are here to stay. It would take extra time and money to model the trees without leaves in the winter. DTG just cranks out new routes for $30 and $40 a piece as quickly and cheaply as possible. That's why there's no basic quality control and why none of the major problems ever get fixed (or maybe get fixed like a year or two after the route releases).

• Like Like x 1
  42. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Yo Dovetail... where the steamies at dude!
    We're 8 DLCs in and still no sign of them... amongst other things like PIS and multiplayer... or a route that is not German, British or American. Ironically, Train Sim World is starting to feel alot smaller than it actually is :(

• Like Like x 1
  43. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The problem with the trees has to do with temperature. That’s what Matt said. The trees on RSN do not have leaves in the winter.

• Like Like x 1
  44. John Murphy

Yeah, but I'm sure it gets cold enough in the UK for the trees to lose their leaves in the winter. It just seems like a really really basic thing that should have been fixed before the base game was even released. TS doesn't have leaves on the trees in the winter for any route, except ones set in a warm climate like Miami-West Palm Beach or Pacific Surfliner.

• Like Like x 1
  45. JT_29O5

JT_29O5 New Member

That sort of makes sense - they’re Speedtree models so maybe Speedtree have predefined textures linked to the simulated temperature. But if that’s the case you’d think it’s is an easy fix - just change the temperature parameters within TSW for the UK so it’s just low enough in the winter for the trees to appear leafless?

46. raildan

Not necessarily... in WSR, there were similar problems in the class 47, but someone pointed them out and they were fixed. I know these require a bit more work, but remember, they often outsource their modeling. (Which is also my last hope for some freight cars)

47. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

"The Northern Trans-Pennine route for Train Sim World capturing the 43 mile route between Manchester Victoria and Leeds City"

48. Digital Draftsman

They won't add any additional rollingstock if they're going for a December release. They tend to release DLC on a Thursday, so the only dates prior to Xmas are the 6th, 13th and 20th. The 20th would be the most likely date as the other dates are too soon. Valve requires the final build of the DLC to be submitted for approval at least 5 business days prior to the release date, so the final build would need to be submitted on the 13th at the very latest. This means DTG would have about a week from now to create any additional rollingstock, wirite the scenarios and test them, all whilst doing bug fixes thrown up by QA testing. Very unlikely.

49. raildan

Nobody said they're going for a December release, though- it could very easily release closer to January. If we don't get more rolling stock by then, maybe we could get an update? I mean, yes this is DTG, and no I don't think they would ever do that, but hey, it's worth a shot.

50. Digital Draftsman

I did say if they are, but normally they announce the product 2 to 3 weeks before it's released, so on that basis I assume it'll be a December release.

I'm 100% with you in wanting freight on this route. It'll look weird having yards and sidings empty, plus it alienates those players who like freight, especially as the last two British DLCs (WSR and Class 33) didn't come with an freight either. A MGR Hopper, a VDA and a TTA would go great on this route, but unfortunately I don't think it'll be so.

• Like Like x 2