Train Sim World: Past, Present, Future

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Benjamin, Dec 21, 2022.

1. DTG Benjamin

DTG Benjamin Staff Member

TSW Past Present Future 1920x1080.jpg

Twas a few nights before (or after) Christmas – it really all depends on when you are reading this. Anyway, as you were sitting comfortably in your chair playing the Holiday Express – Runaway Elf, a flash of light causes you quite a fright.

You hear the faint noise of squealing brakes, as a ghostly train arrives outside your living room window, chuffing to the tune of ‘Jingle Bells’. It’s a behemoth of a thing, surrounded by smoke and fire. It grinds to a halt, glistening in the winter air (and is that a turtle decal you can see on its side?).

Descending from the footplate, a soot-faced figure floats across your front garden, clears its throat, and begins to read from his clipboard. “I am Freddy, your spiritual driver this evening. We’re about to go on an adventure of the past twelve months, find out what your Christmas has in store, and check out where your future lies.

Hop in, we have lots to see, and not much time to see it.”

Read the full story of Train Sim World: Past, Present, Future

• Like Like x 21
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Yup, there it is as predicted, the Acela.

However, seems like it's only for Boston, so this releasing b4 the new route then, and maybe the new route isn't the NEC?

• Like Like x 4
  3. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

So this article reveals what all those blurred out images where.

The first one was indeed of a Class 385, the only question that remains is... what's the route?
    [​IMG]
    Next is seemingly the Steam Pack, which seems to consist of a Jubilee with 'Train of Lights' style lighting all over it.
    [​IMG]
    Next is seemingly of Niddertalbahn, with a glimpse of the loco coming with it, which appears to be a DB BR 628.
    [​IMG]
    ...and finally, we have the long awaited, high-anticipated Acela Express for Boston Sprinter, and it also appears the route is getting all the new TSW3 features as well (new lighting, volumetric clouds, etc).
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 24
  4. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

The Acela was pretty much a given, aswell as the 628, although I am surprised to see it in an old livery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

UK Scotrail 385 Steam locomotive Caledonian Railway class 439 Bo'ness Railway which is connected to the Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street line via Falkirk High.
    US NEC Boston Providence Acela Express set 2023. I did see that train in Real life when it was running a Washington DC to Boston service over the New Brunswick, NJ Raritan River viaduct 1 month ago
    Niddertalbahn needs the Bahnstrecke Frankfurt am Main Kassel Wilhelmshöhe Main Weser Bahn for electric trains to run Frankfurt Main Hbf Bad Vilbel both ways DB Baureihe 420 110.3 103 120 140 139 150 & 151

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Some exciting content coming up. However, if the Acela is for Boston Sprinter, I hope that route is going to have a major fix for the safety/signalling systems.

• Like Like x 24
  7. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Yapp, just want to emphasize that again, Acela will only be considered for purchase if the safety and signalling system is fixed!

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

WOW, that was amazing! The Moleman (he writes these right? I keep reading them in his voice!) has really outdone himself there.

Ooh good spot! I hope the other rush hour routes are getting it, but I'm not going to hold out much hope. At least Boston's is coming!

I wonder if the Acela will fill in the missing 5 services from the timetable?

• Like Like x 1
  9. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

So here’s hoping that’s true about Boston sprinter. The new us route has to be somewhere on the nec. The Acela confirms it.

I’m really hoping the uk route is Edinburgh to Glasgow.

the ghost of Christmas past reminds me of how much money I’ve spent on this game but the ghost of Christmas reminds me how much I love it.

the ghost of Christmas yet to come reminds me to save money for these new routes and experiences.

I love this game. Merry Christmas train sim world and especially to you good folks at dovetail games!

• Like Like x 11
  10. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Really loved the article and great new content for 2023.. Thanks DTG/Rivet and others making content yet to be annouced.

• Like Like x 4
  11. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

We're glad you liked the article, folks. Tried to do something a little different with this one, and I know it's been a labour of love for DTG Benjamin!

• Like Like x 32
  12. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

What a lovely way to end the year! :D
    I guess this means we won’t get the Rivet route announcement before January, though. Unless Rivet publish it themselves - they did independently post a teaser video on their social media channels after all.

13. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That 385 looks so good

• Like Like x 6
  14. DTG Benjamin

DTG Benjamin Staff Member

This one was actually written by me, my first article for TSW, and let me tell you, I felt like the ghost of Christmas past when I was done writing it - knackered! :D

• Like Like x 30
  15. 2008bmw525d

2008bmw525d Member

Finally got the reason to buy TSW3 :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. max1313

max1313 Active Member

What a way to end the year. Lots of great things coming in the near future. Need to get my wallet ready……

• Like Like x 2
  17. nepclassof84

I’m sure the ghost of Christmas present has a pint for you

• Like Like x 2
  18. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

Well done DTG Benjamin! It's a great artical! I'm so happy the Class 385 Is comming to TSW!!!! I think it's probably going to come with the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk High line.

• Like Like x 3
  19. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

I have a serious feeling that the Acela is apart of something much much bigger

• Like Like x 8
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

"Railtour" looks like it could be an official steam layer or scenario pack for NTP.

DB semaphore (finally!) must be Niddertalbahn.

Class 385 - already commented elsewhere that another modern EMU one train route even if Glasgow to Edinburgh not high on my potential purchase list.

Partnership with Hornby... interesting. Does this we could see the offshoot "Model Train Sim World" as a reality?

• Like Like x 1
  21. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Oooh more diesel and old german stock really can't wait!!

22. nepclassof84

I do too and I hope so

23. nepclassof84

Model train sim railway would certainly explain one of the questions in the survey

24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

So does somebody know which route this is on? Could be the new Glasgow-Edinburgh one, but there’s also tons of possibilities with existing DLCs.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Now that is a lot of good news to end the year with. Lot's of interesting and new stuff. Both the german route and the rolling stock are high on my list, so is the steam railtour. But I am especially excited about the acela and the fact that it will be the first TSW 2 route that gets updated to TSW 3 features.

• Like Like x 2
  26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What the Dickens is going on?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was TSW in 2022

Please Sir, I want some more trains!

There was something very comfortable in having plenty of stations.

• Like Like x 2
  27. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

That update for Boston looks awesome! So it looks like it may be getting at least a partial SEHS treatment, with the new clouds and lighting. Not to mention the Acela.

I really, REALLY hope that with the updates to Boston, the signaling/safety systems are fixed. I can't imagine they won't be, since it would be kinda crazy to refresh the route without fixing that glaring flaw. Currently as many of us know the safety systems are messed up to the point where its nearly impossible to complete a lot of timetable services on time or realistically. I.E I tried running an Amtrak out of Providence the other day and the in cab signaling was holding me at 20mph all the way from Providence to South Attleboro. I just gave up.

It was one of my fav routes before I started using safety systems but basically unplayable after I became a safety systems on player.

Also this might be a good time to point out a minor flaw with the ACS-64 consists on the current version of Boston: business class coach in game are at the front (behind the loco) when in real life on NEC consists they are the last/rear coach. Not a massive flaw but if the route is getting a re-work anyway it could be something to fix!

• Like Like x 9
  28. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Very nice contribution and at the same time the annual accounts for 2022!

What I can see in the Niddertalbahn screenshot in the twilight: for the first time no DB red, but mint green for the BR628 (Maik can read our minds). The Acela Express is also coming and it's going back to Scotland again. Steam engines can show up anytime, anywhere, and it's all just for the first half of the year. Very important for all PS5 players: don't forget the addon manager!

Unfortunately we would all have wished for a more relaxed year after suffering from lockdowns and restrictions for almost 2 years. One noticed that peace and a respectful togetherness are the highest good and how quickly all this can be destroyed. Nevertheless, every crisis can always get the best out of us in terms of solidarity, sympathy and helpfulness. Let's look to the future with confidence and optimism, also as far as TSW is concerned. Leaks or not, what counts in the end is satisfaction with your favorite train and fun on the route. Every developer is happy when people talk about their product. TSW has grown strongly again this year, even if these annoying bugs don't always go away on their own. That's why an attentive and smart community is always helpful! ;)

• Like Like x 6
  29. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

Im sure that many players, including myself of course, would have loved to see some news about bugfixes and solved problems laying under the Christmas Tree. But of course its not.

Im not hating the upcoming stuff because again, i feel like the locos (especially the Acela) were some of the most wanted from the community. But i can't ignore the feel of a bit of disappointment that there is no commitment to fixing the well known problems.

P.s.: I really looking forward to the DB Br 628, as its from TSG and surely a superb DMU with great love to detail and furthermore, its Mint *-*

• Like Like x 1
  30. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

BR 628 looks wonderful in DB mint!

• Like Like x 3
  31. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

Could be even Manchester to Leeds ?

I really dont care as long as i can drive this without that 'toy train lights' on it :D

• Like Like x 1
  32. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

Great article DTG Benjamin thanks for all your efforts! Excited by the prospect of Edinburgh-Glasgow. Having a custom built Waverley means there is potential for ECML!

• Like Like x 6
  33. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

Nice new routes, but all of them are useless for me without the addon-manager...

• Like Like x 2
  34. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The steam add on also pointless until the physics are fixed.

• Like Like x 3
  35. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Jubilee is on West Cornwall - the headboard matches the design of The Cornishman.

upload_2022-12-21_17-28-48.png

[​IMG]

Additionally the era code (I think 6) is the same for the WCL route and the loco.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Well it must be said: that was a superb article! You should be very proud

• Like Like x 5
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That is what the code led me to believe when it was first put on the roadmap. That headboard does look right so maybe it is a steam add-on pack for WCL rather than the new route. I’ve driven the Jubilee on WCL in scenario planner and it is a good run to do with the hills (in TSW2 currently, where steam behaves better). I wonder if the expansion DLC is a railtour pack with services for more than one route. That is possible now for DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

A new Acela trainset, a refurbished BPE and a new US route which may not be a segment of the NEC.
    That's quite a lot to look forward to in '23.

I'll raise a glass to TSW3 on New Year's Eve ( and leave it half full ).

• Like Like x 4
  39. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

How do you come to the conclusion it could be anything else than the NEC? Are there actually any options given the route code?

40. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

njt is also an option although i highly doubt it's that

41. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Some really super content coming for TSW, but I want something like that for old TS too(

42. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

This might a good year for everyone else. But for me, this is where I'm done for good.

[plus to note; on what train would have a Jubilee be this far in the western region for the holidays in the 90s, that doesn't make much jack sense.]

• Like Like x 3
  43. allysimpson247

allysimpson247 Member

Might be reading into this too much but the 385s number is 111, maybe a release date?

44. NotDavid

NotDavid Active Member

i hope the uk ones are added all at once.

• Like Like x 1
  45. NotDavid

NotDavid Active Member

Looks a little bit correct but i dont think it is.

46. NotDavid

NotDavid Active Member

There's more German routes than any other.

47. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Well, 385111 is a real unit on the roster, so you may be reading a bit too much into it. Who knows though? 11/1 isn't the most unrealistic release date out there! :)

(aaaaand then I just realized that falls on a Wednesday, so alas, it is not a hint)

• Like Like x 1
  48. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Great article DTG Benjamin really enjoyed reading threw it and looking to the New Year and what it will bring to TSW3.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Subway

Subway New Member

No mention of the US route . Its been on on the roadmap for 3 months

50. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

It looks like the viaduct from West Cornwall Local between Truro and St Austell... And that route matches the date for the enhancement pack?
    *Shrugs*

• Like Like x 1