[poll] Which Country Would You Like To See In Train Sim World?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Apr 2, 2018.

?
  1. Canada

82 vote(s)
    22.3%
  2. Mexico

17 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Ireland

47 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. France

134 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. Netherlands

93 vote(s)
    25.3%
  6. Switzerland

112 vote(s)
    30.5%
  7. Austria

100 vote(s)
    27.2%
  8. Russia

42 vote(s)
    11.4%
  9. China

36 vote(s)
    9.8%
  10. Japan

124 vote(s)
    33.8%
  11. South Africa

18 vote(s)
    4.9%
  12. Australia

86 vote(s)
    23.4%
  13. New Zealand

40 vote(s)
    10.9%
  14. Italy

98 vote(s)
    26.7%
  15. Belgium

57 vote(s)
    15.5%
  16. Sweden

42 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Pakistan or egypt, or countries with routes like the Thai market streets

• Like Like x 1
  2. elatn

elatn Active Member

Norway. Beautiful and peaceful landscape! Would also like Sweden in TSW.

3. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

Yeah !! But DTG is reluctant to make routes of other parts of the world except UK,US and Germany.
    This is very sad for other railfans and on part of DTG also for revenue and markets !!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

Spain?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

I would suggest the Gotthard Route for the train sim world as the Swiss route.
    The ce6/8 krokodil in green and Brown, the re4/4II in green, red, Swiss express colours and in SBB Cargo colours, the re6/6 in red, green and SBB Cargo colours and maybe the RABDe500 icn. It would be very cool to attach two locomotives like the re4/4II and the re6/6 so you have an re10/10 which is typically for the Gotthard Route.
    Maybe the route could go from Arth Goldau to Bellinzona or Locarno?
    Maybe the main tunnel could also be created?

If somebody would creat a Route with the Train sim World Editor, could I play it on PlayStation 4?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

DTG said that they are trying to get workshop content to consoles but there are not any new informations about this.

7. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

What about Brazil. They have good scenery and similar trains.

8. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think that there is a problem with demand since my route proposal got zero attention.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And good for the people in those markets who wish to make and sell content. DTG may even promote and publish your stuff if it's good enough, just look at the recent spate of third party scenario packs for the various US routes that DTG have pushed.
    DTG also have a number of Chinese routes in TSx so maybe some will come over to TSW especially when 3rd parties can get onboard

10. euan.sweenie

euan.sweenie New Member

Add norway It is different and we should try it

11. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I'd buy a Czech route, I really like the look of their engines! Boxy and brightly colored, fairly unique style going on there. Where's your route proposal?

12. vaci_leo

vaci_leo New Member

I would like to see some Brazilian routes. We have beautiful landscapes and challenging routes. But the game is not even translated to our language, so I think this will never happen

13. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I would like to see more of Scotland and maybe Wales as well! There are more parts and more scenic parts of the UK then just England.

14. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

would love a welsh route. We've got scottish and english but not Welsh yet

• Like Like x 1
  15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Austria through running to Germany thanks to PZB Belgium new signalling and can form Brussels Aachen Cologne Corridor. Australian route due to various gauges and including QLD and Western Australia Narrow gauge ops. For a narrow gauge Perth route click on my signature Mandurah Line

• Like Like x 1
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The TSW survey DTG put up specifically asks this question. Which is surprising, considering DTG always stated they had no plans to venture into a new country.

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Guess DTG could see if there is overwhelming support of certain new countries, then they would invest in the research and development of a new country route if it pays the bills in the long run.

18. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

19. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

20. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Needs to be a lot more UK routes and rolling stock before you start faffing around with the rest of the world.

21. Commiee

We've progressed from "nothing from the rest of the world" to "more UK content before the rest of the world" with this self-entitled forum entity - that's some progress at least. Maybe in another couple of years this pretentious attitude will finally arrive at a point of humility and adequacy with the rest of the playerbase, instead of this constant self-exposition as the village clown pushing juvenile "look at me and my invented, laughable declarations about what places have quality routes" lines on others. Nobody cares about opinions from ridiculous manchildren who are full of themselves.

More on topic: DtG are inviting many third-party devs exactly for the purpose of producing international routes. Telling teams like Union Workshop to "make more UK routes first" - when all they have ever done is content from elsewhere in the world - is irrelevant, stupid and also an off-topic in threads like this one.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  22. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

How lucky we are that DTG is not as chauvinistic as some members of the forum :)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Blacknred81

How about........

No.

• Like Like x 2
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This is the way it should be anyway. Local companies making their routes with local knowledge and passion of the locality.
    We know what DTG do with their local routes (thinking the mess that is SEHS scenery...) so why would people think they or Rivet would do better elsewhere?

25. thisnamebetterworks

thisnamebetterworks Active Member

26. thisnamebetterworks

thisnamebetterworks Active Member

There is no problem in more new UK-routes, but to create only new UK-routes will cause two problems, if you want to sell the game better (and world wide):

1. Player often prefer to play routes (and to drive trains) which are familiar to them [and this "often" is a relevant factor in sales]

2. (which shows the ambvalence of the topic ...) Players prefer variety and (maybe) adventure; they want to experience something new - which means regions (and trains) that are (completely) new for them. Which means, paradoxically, they want to drive trains which are unknown for them. [Especailly players, who are not "hardcore 'rail fans'" might prefer in that direction.]

And there is the financial wall: To push the game (including quality) means you need more money (to pay the people who work for the game ... more ones and more qualifiet ones cost more); and it is hard to get that (needed) money >only< from players of one country /or 'one player group'. There are simple not enaugh of them (quantity), nor they want to pay more for the game (or better: the DLCs) [they are very expensive atm anyway].

So you need to reach other player-groups ... maybe of other countries? Would be the classic way, which mostly works in the video game market.
    And how ist the best way to reach them? ... check 1. an 2.

If there are enaugh other players/ player groups (which gain more money), more UK-routes can also follow. And everyone is happy ... at least, that should be the plan ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  27. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

More Canada!! Please.
    I've been suggesting this for a long time now. We have a lot to offer here that is unique unto itself.
    We are actually a separate country and not just an annex to the USA as would be implied by how we are included in this sim.
    North American yes, USA, we are not. Yet we are outnumbered 10-1 in routes by the US. A little more representation would be nice.

BCR in the 70s would be spectacular, as would the 1980s-current ONR or Algoma Central, or the narrow gauge WP&Y. And those are just a few. You already have the license for CN so even some expansions on that in different areas of the country would be a good start - locations, locomotives, older passenger services (pre 1977).

• Like Like x 1
  28. driverwoods#1787

Hokkaido Shinkansen has a unique feature the Seikan Tunnel meaning you can run 210 kmh (130 mph) inside the tunnel when no EH800 freight train is running 140 kmh (85 mph) with an EH800 freight train on the Tokyo bound track

29. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Sounds boring. Although I can enjoy an occasional run on a dedicated high speed line, they're getting boring quickly. I personally hope the first Japanese route isn't a Shinkansen...

30. Commiee

BtW, France and Switzerland from the above poll have since been implemented in TSW, so looks like Japan is in the lead in two largest polls on new countries to be added to the sim, unless there are other comprehensive polls on the subject that I haven't seen.

31. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

"Implemented" is a big word...

LGV Marseille-Avignon was made because it's a high speed line, not because it's French. It's hardly an attempt to add a new country to the game. Switzerland has been done by Rivet (although with mixed reception), but they seem to focus on UK content nowadays...

Well, there's the official DTG survey, which allows you to vote for *any* country. Obviously we're unlikely to ever see the results, but any forum poll is likely to have only a shortlist of countries, plus it only attracts a small percentage of the playerbase. (Probably the most dedicated one and a relatively high percentage of English speakers).

32. Commiee

I mean that doesn't change the fact that if we are asking the playerbase which new country they want to see, France and Switzerland are not part of that consideration any more - the quality or enjoyment of those routes is a separate conversation. No matter how well or poorly they have been introduced, compared to other countries in these polls they have been made and the rest have not :)
    Sure, but it's a representative sample.

33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I doubt so.

34. Commiee

What makes it not representative? The forums have people from different countries, and the number of votes is no less than one would expect from the playerbase of a niche game. At the very least, they are more representative than having no community input. DtG also seem to consider the forums representative, when they say they look at suggestions and take them into account.

35. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Obviously, neither of us has any statistics to be sure, either way. But I think this forum leaves out large portion of the more casual playerbase (I've once seen a Twitch video about a couple playing TSW and referring to the Dostos as the "big red train"), which I believe results in an overrepresentation of train nuts and train geeks. Additionally, I believe a major part of any foreign communities not fluent enough with English to participate in an English speaking community are left out, which I believe results in a higher percentage of people from English-speaking countries like the US and UK. The foreigners who do participate here, may come from countries where English is a solid part of the education, proficient enough with computers to use translators, and dedicated enough to overcome the language barrier (which would be a double underrepresentation of non-English casual playerbase).

Even DTG intentionally spreads their surveys to a very wide audience, which I believe is another indicator that they know the forums alone aren't an ideal representation of the whole playerbase. And that's not even to say anything about the *potential* playerbase; those people currently not playing TSW because it doesn't feature they kind of content they'd be looking for. As the genre (including TSC) has always been focussed around 3 countries, it's no surprise these countries also form a good portion of the active community.

But well, it's all just speculation, because neither of us have any statistics to back up our views. I do am curious though, so perhaps we can poke DTG Protagonist to see if he can clear up wether the forums are a good representation of the wider audience? :)

36. Commiee

Oh definitely, I don't think anyone can claim that. But any kind of poll - whether game community-related or not - has that challenge, you can only make sure it represents overall trends, and Japan's leading spot in these polls is one of those.

37. NSB-Steve

NSB-Steve New Member

Sweden and Norway, because of the IORE, the ore trains from Kiruna in Sweden to Narvik in Norway.

Edit: Typo

• Like Like x 1
  38. Blacknred81

Only problem with the Canadian Railroads is that both (At least on TSC) of their licenses only cover their modern names, Canadian National and Canadian Pacific, so none of their fallen flags are currently allowed (As we seen when the BLE route got pulled from steam). Which means something like a BCOL route is out of the picture unless somethings changes.

Then there is the complexity of the CP-KSC merger....and we'll have to see where the license ends up for CP after that.

• Like Like x 1
  39. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Well that's where the option to expand on current licensing comes into play. They are not as restricted as it would appear if some "within the rules" creative planning was put into play. No reason the current CN/CP licensing could not be used to create additional routes in other parts of the country with different operations keeping it perfectly legit and legal.

I am not ready to give up on requesting more Canadian routes because of licensing. There is more than CN & CP and there has to be some work arounds. I think this excuse is a lazy cop out. Everything is possible when there is a will to succeed. Maybe a different approach has to be undertaken to make things happen?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Blacknred81

Im just going off of facts from what I know, the removal of the BLE route and what was said about it. So unless DTG somehow can work a new license deal for the fallen flags, future Canadian Routes will only be CP and CN.
    Qz1lYnt.png

• Like Like x 1
  41. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Interesting read. I still think it's giving up too easily.
    As previously noted, there's more than just CN & CP. Not all railways here are owned by them.
    The choices and options are many even without them and their licenses.
    Hence the claim that the future only holds CN/CP routes is a little premature to make as those two do not control all of Canada's railways.

42. seagull81006

seagull81006 Active Member

I hope we get Luxembourg (This could possibly be done on a German Route),Greece and maybe South Africa for new countries

43. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

In a typical week the forum sees between 8,000 and 12,000 active users - those who are logged in while viewing any forum page. In a normal week we'll see around 3,000 posts from somewhere between 400-800 users; a lot more lurkers than posters.

The Train Sim World website sees between double and triple the number of unique visitors.

Active in the game over the course of the week is mid 5 digits. Although this number varies by quite a bit depending on new releases, sales, holidays etc.

Looking at the relationship between our data sources, telemetry from within the game represents the most individual players - 10s of thousands.

The survey typically represents up to 10,000 respondents.

The forum is less than a 10th of that number.

Does this make the forum unrepresentative? The question to follow up with is "of what?" The forums represent a particular niche within the TSW players, but it does so with considerable depth. The survey may represent more players but the depth isn't to the same degree. Where it adds extra value is in players responding independendtly, free from some of the group-think that occasionally crops up in any social platform. Not that thought contagion is a problem, but it can sometimes make mountains out of molehills which is why we look to ask you what you think as an individual.

Also consider that there is an inherent bias toward English-speaking users on this forum, and no it isn't really representative of all players. It does, however provide very clear feedback on the topics that are raised.

Take this thread as an example however. The poll is 4 years old and allows up to 7 votes, having achieved ~500 votes in total. No, it's never been promoted. Just one poll among many, but even then it's hardly given a clear indication of what "the players" want most, only what a small subset of a small subset want most.

• Like Like x 5
  44. BN3140

BN3140 Member

I would like to see the Bar to Belgrade line in Montenegro.

45. nie Kolejarz#7489

nie Kolejarz#7489 Member

I'd vote for Poland/Czechia

• Like Like x 1
  46. driverwoods#1787

Luxembourg is doable if DTG wanted Koblenz Luxembourg via Wasserbillig voltage change point 15kv 16.7hz DB OBB PZB to CFL 25kv 50hz AC ETCS Level 1 FS or Limited Supervision.
    Route Map of Luxembourg Koblenz
    International Section Luxembourg to Ehrang
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Domestic German Section Koblenz Ehrang The TSC Moselstrecke.
    [​IMG]
    The section has the hanging viaduct at Punderich
    [​IMG]
    Koblenz Ehrang section features the C-akv coupler DB BR189 Fallrs-Falrrs Iron Ore Coal Falnqqs 130. The problem is that you don't want to stop next to a red signal since you are on PZB U Mode. Information is from the German Lok Magazin

47. Commiee

But that's how any representative sample works, doesn't it? e.g. surveys (in social sciences, medical studies and elsewhere) of a few thousand people are considered representative of general trends in populations of tens of millions of people. And if TSW player numbers are between tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands, then a poll of around 500 is similarly representative, especially when a certain trend is seen repeatedly in every poll that ranges between 100-500 individuals. Of course individual feedback in the form of people's posts is more informative in terms of details, but that's a different kind of feedback.

The one element that is true is that of language, where English-speaking players are more prevalent on forums, but the popularity of certain locations or geographical areas for future routes is also reflected in official surveys that used to be published beyond the forums, and are also seen in places like comments on Steam platform, etc.

The question of the limited number of poll entries - we also see people making their own suggestions in posts, and if we add those to the poll results, the general trend of which 3-5 locations are most popular doesn't seem to change.

And then also, at the very least, if 1) these polls are representative of the forum community, and 2) the forum community is the most active one in discussions around the sim and has its suggestions taken onboard by devs, then the repeating trends in these polls are representative of this section of the playerbase, which gives them relevance and significance of their own.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  48. StokesJH

StokesJH Active Member

No, this is not how it works. You cannot extrapolate a poll within any subgroup to the full population. You need a truly representative sample of the population for the poll, otherwise you will end up with a lot of bias in the results. If such a sample is not feasible, the analysts will have to correct the results to compensate for the biases.

49. Commiee

That part was about whether the number of people voting in polls, compared to the overall number of players, is representative. The other elements of the representation were addressed in subsequent paragraphs.

50. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Japan because of the bullet train.