Night Time

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jack travers, Jan 4, 2023.

1. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

1 thing for today:

Can I ask why is it so bright at 4am in the morning. Like I just landed in to Dublin from my Flight from Philadelphia at 5:30-6am and I could barely see my luggage? Why am I able to see ever last detail from miles away at 4am? Even at 2:30-3am dovetail makes the night time look like 8am in the morning. Even at 8am it’s still daybreak and dark out, it totally ruins the Immersion imo. How am I going to run a TSW 3 ROUTE (bUt IT hAs UpDatEd LiGhtIng and GraPhiCs) at 3am!? Supposedly the demon hour. Lololo and it’s brighter than it is as 9am. I really can’t run an Early morning route unless it’s at 12am or 1am (most trains don’t even move at that time). Then there is 5pm and onwards. Dovetail it’s January (WINTER) why is it brighter than a summers day.

Hope you guys enjoyed my little rant have a great day guys

• Like Like x 2
  2. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't know. For me I leave night services until last because I love seeing the scenery but night time dosen't bring that. Well I'll start driving "night" services now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I think all we can do is wait until DTG catches on.

4. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

I think you need to provide some more info like system settings etc. TSW nights are at least as dark as in real life on my pc.

Edit: in future bug reports, please keep some kind of respectful attitude. Based on your rant, I estimate your age to be below 14 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It really depends on the route. Some routes will have completely dark nights, while on other routes night are pretty bright.

6. jack travers

Close enough but I’m over.

7. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

There is an unreal unlocker command which i use to make the older tsw 2 routes darker. Thats why running tsw on pc is my No.1 choice by far, it allowes me to be independend and just use mods or my own commands / tricks. Somebody posted this a while ago and "safed my day" to enjoy night services.

Since rush hour the routes became way darker and got a good touch into reslism. No wonder things like the minimalistic effort DTG puts into the night light sources of buildings and areas, get noticeable really quick.

I think it was london midland posted the command:

r.SkylightIntensityMultiplier 0

If its too dark values like 0.1 also work, for example on the bakerloo line i use 0.15. Just enter the command into the UE unlocker console.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  8. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Same problem when you select a German route in December at 16:00. You'll find yourself in a world that's pitch black. I don't know where DTG got the idea that it's fully dark in Germany at 16:00. Even during the shortest days in winter, IRL full darkness only sets in around 17:00

9. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

That's what happens in the UK. I didn't realise Germany had it an hour ahead. Maybe DTG (being a British company) thought that the time at which it goes dark is the same for European Countries that are reasonably close together (I imagine the UK and Germany are reasonably close together and are European Countries)

10. OnlyMe1909

That thought also had occured to me, that DTG didn't take in account the 1 hr difference in timezones between UK and the rest of Europe

11. Doing a lot of night time driving myself, I've noticed you can be driving along at 11pm in total darkness and unable to see anything then at midnight some kind of strange brightness effect happens and you can see everything! 20 mins later back to pitch black.

Sunrise is a bit random, drive one uk route and for example sunrise at 4.30am then drive another uk route and sunrise is an hour later.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

But in different time zones. Britain is close to the eastern edge of GMT, so it's very "early" in the diurnal cycle.

13. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Time zones have nothing to do with when the sun rises or sets. It's local time in the local time zone.
    If you look it up, you will find that the latitude has a significant influence on when you see the sun or not. Here are some cities in the same time zone, and the time for sunrise and sunset for today, Jan 5th:
    Reykjavik (64°08′N) sunrise 11:14, sunset 15:51
    Edinburgh (55°57′N) sunrise 8:42, sunset 15:54
    London (51°30′N) sunrise 8:05, sunset 16:06
    Lisbon (38°43′N) sunrise 7:54, sunset 17:28
    Accra (5°33′N) sunrise 6:11, sunset 18:00

The day is much shorter the closer you are to the Earth Pole, and longer the closer you are to the Equator. It is not completely linear, as it also depends on season.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  14. aeronautic237

Yeah I didn't think it was to do with timezones - maybe it is just because Germany is further south than the UK.

15. YASUKE

YASUKE Active Member

I think they should see how other studios doing it, for exemple Red Dead Redemption night/ day is very well done and the sky doesn’t look the same each night, if only DTG upgrade their game in to UE5.1 it would be crazy

16. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Unless they mess it up of course. Not saying they will but who knows, anything can happen

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Like that would make any difference. It's not a matter of the engine version, but how it's used. Currently they are not utilizing UE to it's fullest, and upgrading version wouldn't change this fact either.

• Like Like x 1
  18. solicitr

Well yes. Naturally.

But where you are located longitudinally within a time zone has a profound effect on the "time of day" the sun rises and sets in any given season. A time zone is roughly 15 degrees wide ("roughly" because political boundaries are taken into consideration), in other words 1/24 of the circle or one hour of time. So, for example, Indianapolis and Boston are located almost exactly 15 degrees apart; but since they are both in the Eastern time zone, on opposite edges, the sun sets in Boston a full hour before it does in Indianapolis.

19. solicitr

Dresden and London are at almost exactly the same latitude

20. aeronautic237

Ah, nevermind then

21. jack travers

I’ve done some more research and I’m starting to see if I start scenarios with no snow, fog etc it’s actually dark. Maybe it’s a bug on my side.

What I have figured out is that on scenario planner darkness starts at 9pm and ends at 2:30pm during months, I have also figured you cannot find out someone’s age by a post/comment thank you Isaak very much ;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

These days I wanted to spawn on food in Switzerland (LZN) and, by shocking surprise found out that snow level couldn´t be adjusted in January or February, only up till December. The slider is greyed out and to no use?! No snow in CH during those months??? Hmmm, not in TSW2 anyway : headscratch:

Topic related: DTG should be happy that there´re no routes in the southern hemisphere, not even down south of the northern hemisphere. Apart from a different sun/moon trajectory, the closer you get to the equator the shorter are sunrises and sunsets. Lived down under a few years (no, not Aussieland) and remember that sunsets and sunrises where kinda like switching the lights on/off with a huge circuit breaker. ;)
    What is the most southern TSW route BTW?

How TSW handles lighting, shadows and weather is for me the hint that, at least TSW2 is far from being a simulator.

And yes, I´m getting old ...

• Like Like x 1
  23. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Peninsula Corridor: San Jose is at 37°20′N
    Most of Europe is above that latitude.

Oops, forgot about Cajon Pass. Even further south in California.

• Like Like x 1
  24. OnlyMe1909

Did you happen to notice the temperature when you tried this? You can only select snow levels when the game gives you a negative temperature. If the game gives you a positive temperature, snow levels are grayed out as it would melt anyway.

Sadly there's no way to choose your own temperature... which is a feature that should be added to the game. I made a post about this in the suggestions forum not so long ago. see: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/temperature-control.62832/

• Like Like x 1
  25. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Right, thanks. It´s on 34°19′33″N.
    I don´t have TSW3 unfortunately, has there been an improvement regarding this topic, from 2 to 3?

26. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´ll pay attention to the temps next time, didn´t notice. But anyway I wouldn´t expect higher temperatures in CH in January/February. Not a chance in hell.

upload_2023-1-6_10-9-0.png

27. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s been there since day one of TSW I believe.

It was only fixed in TSW 3 where it would no longer randomly get brighter in the middle of the night, as they totally rebuilt the lighting system. So unless your preferred TSW 2 route gets upgraded TSW 3 lighting, expect it to remain with broken lighting for the foreseeable.

28. It's happened on the revised sehs a couple of times also.

29. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

As already mentioned by someone else, make a note of the temperature. However, due to a possible bug, when selecting weather, sometimes the winter months i.e. January etc will show differing temperatures, sometimes its 0 or above, other times, -1 and below. If you want to get snow during these months, but the temp is still showing as above 0, if you go back to the main menu and then re-select the route and your specific service or spawn on foot settings, then the temp a lot of the time will then show as below 0, thus allowing snow to be selected/adjusted (although if not, keep repeating until you get a temp of below 0). I hope what I've explained makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Same for London and Edinburgh on the north/south axis with that 5 degree difference resulting in an hour of difference in total daylight in winter. Which is also a part of why proposals to shift the country to "double summer" time are not entirely welcome in places where it'd move sunrise in winter to 10am. So many considerations when you effectively shift somewhere into the timezone to the east of it. As you said, especially to places that are on the westernmost end already of the existing timezone, and where that compounds with already being closer to the pole than a capital such decisions are being made from. There's a whole bunch of considerations on such things, often resulting from how several of these modern timezones are legacies of imperial conquests in an age where it was easier to keep your acquisitions on your home timezone for ease of communication

A proper system for working out a route's daylight hours would need to at the very least take lat/long both into account and cross reference them with the timezone to get the local daylight hours for a given time of year upload_2023-1-8_0-59-8.png

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

One factor for it will be time zone differences you can try experimenting on this with a US Route Cajon Pass Pacific Time Zone versus Sand patch grade Eastern Time Zone United States and Canada