Train Simulator Classic - The Future

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Dec 21, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

To misquote Tony Blair...
    Route editor, route editor, route editor.
    It is really long overdue a massive overhaul, make it more like Trainz Surveyor particularly when it comes to terrain painting and the ability to copy and paste a good blend of texture. Make it easier to bring in our own custom terrain textures. Now that RW Tools is being retired, consider bringing some of that functionality into the editor and utilities, such as setting up the developer/asset hierarchy, converting kml or GPS files to route markers. Wireframe view to see where we are placing track under terrain, more contrast on the outlines when using eased tracks. I could write an essay on the small changes which would make it so much easier.

It also needs to be easier to set up a scenario, preferably a 2D system like we could use in the MSTS Activity Editor.

In the medium term give us the ability to set up more comprehensive integrated timetables similar to TSW.

Like many others I dabble with TSW and have bought most of the DLC, but frankly it's a one trick pony - largely lacklustre and identikit overpriced DLC. We are never going to get classics such as WCML North, WCML Over Shap, Weardale, Welsh Marches or as I just purchased yesterday the Stainmore route in TSW. It's also evident that TSW is struggling to get steam traction right yet in TSC we have the great offerings from the likes of Bossman, Victory or Caledonia Works.

I find myself increasingly drawn back to TSC and despite my support for SimRail I don't really see that as a viable competitor either.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. VictoryWorks

VictoryWorks Well-Known Member

Exciting!

3. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

That sounds nightmarish for doing stuff like placing static stock.

4. OldVern

I'm trying to remember how that worked in the MSTS Activity Editor which sadly no longer runs on my PC, hasn't done for quite a few years. So far as I can recall it was just a question of making your consist in the 2D picture window, then placing on the desired track in the 2D map probably designating as static. I can't recall any of the activities I made for my routes actually having static consists TBH. What i would say is maybe there should be an option for those of us who prefer to compile the scenario in a 2D interface.

What would also be useful in TSC thinking about it is a kind of Quick Drive +, where you can set more parameters for the player train, i.e. precise times, station calls, line on multiple track sections. Ironically to some extent that's how the TSW Scenario Editor works for the player train, just a shame the rest of it is so rubbish.

No but my big wish remains for the route editor to get some love. I was messing about in Trainz Surveyor again but the experience is unfulfilling as no matter how nice the eventual end result is the driving is just so awful, whether it's the aged content (and yes I know we are supposed to love freeware), the lack of being able to set up a simple timetable run and the fact the player still needs to act as their own dispatcher/signaller. Trainz has the best route building tool but the rest of it is utter pants.

5. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

That would be really cool if a route building tool like Trainz Surveyor was implemented into Train Simulator. It would make for a great route building experience. What would be great is if it allowed to clone the original route so one version would not effect scenarios while the other version would be for your custom built routes with capability to create scenarios. I would also like to see Transdem support the possible route building tool so we can generate some prototypical topography in the form of 1 or 1/3 or 1/9 ARC Sec DEM (Digital Elevation Models) with Google overlay map tiled pre-loaded

6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

What? Are you suggesting I do that or DTG does?
    When you say retiring do you mean it's not being worked on any more or being withdrawn entirely? Because if it's the former it'll continue to work for a very long time and won't need to be implemented into TS to have its functionality preserved.

7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

TS-Tools has been retired, or I should say that Mike Simpson has retired from developing TS-Tools, it is still available to download on ATS with kind permission from Mike, but no TS-Tools will not be developed any further as far as I'm aware.

The ATS link to TS-Tools >> https://alanthomsonsim.com/ts-tools-for-train-simulator-classic/

8. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

TS tools is also available in the RWA library.

9. OldVern

Sorry yes I meant Mike has retired. However that does mean if DTG changed file formats or how certain processes work in the future, the utility will no longer be updated to reflect that.

10. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

DTG does.

11. vitt77

vitt77 New Member

How are the performance under Linux?

12. kilt46

kilt46 Active Member

Would love to have access to the open Beta :)

13. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

They can't. It's a standard Steam format as far as I'm aware.

14. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

What are you two going on about?

1) Why would they change a whole archiving system to make it toggleable just to suit one person? (who apparently doesn't understand the difference between archive and file structure)

2) Why change a zip archive (.ap) to a zip archive (7zip), what exactly do you think that would achieve? (look at the underlined part if you're still not grasping my meaning).

3) The fastload integration (that works bloody well) depends entirely on the .ap archiving format, if you want slower load times (all you'll achieve by toggling .ap archives btw) then just use the already available -DisableFastload start up parameter.

4) It is not a standard Steam format, It is an archive format that DTG have created and added into their core program, SCS use .scs archives which are exactly the same principle which is an uncompressed zip archive that their game engine reads.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Thank you Reef, I am not particularly knowledgable when it comes to technical issues or jargon and invariably get things very wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Okay, so maybe I’m not wording my statements clearly or they’re not coming across the way it was intended. Could be a hybrid of both.

But, what I’m trying to say is, the consist editor as it is, outside of the editor hasn’t been working for me for the last couple of years. Also age being irrelevant to me, as I know there are also people younger than me who have got this tool figured out. And yes, I have, but I’ve been quite unsuccessful and honestly admit that I struggle with keeping up with trying to learn through those videos, and feel like I could use a more hands on approach, as I find the tools to be quite a learning curve. Some of us learn things differently.

Doesn’t help that this sim as much as I love it gives me and others different issues, which could be more than likely (among the games own limitations) hardware based, or depending on our unique installs. As with the case that some modifications aren’t packaged correctly or even at times not given proper instructions that can potentially cause issues.

As far as the consist editing within the route/scenario editor, when I create them in the editor, they only show up there. Not in the consist menu for quick drives.

Also cscarpenter thank you for the link. But I’m not sure it saves in the consists menu. As the consist editor, I’m mentioning once again, has been quite faulty for myself as well as others for a long time.

But for me personally. My big issue with this sim at the present is just having recently purchased a new laptop that is more than capable of running this sim, and yet will not play if I have dynamic lighting on. While my previous laptop was able to run this at mostly satisfactory settings.

A fresh install on a more powerful setup shouldn’t run worse than a older one with modifications installed, some that may have contributed to the problems outside of the game.

My hope is that this isn’t just more empty promises and that they do bring this sim into the future where it’s more stable, software, user and mod friendly.

17. moponi

moponi New Member

Almost like a Christmas present... :)

I have been a dormant TSC fan for some time now and haven't bought DLC, but if this is going forward, as I believe it will, I am back onboard. Looking forward to this!

• Like Like x 1
  18. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Happy to hear great news TSC will receive updates in future!
    Hope guys, You make some useful tweaks at last... TSX engine is still quite good and it's picture is quite enough realistic for simulator game where train control is a main point.

Some ideas from me:

Graphics:
    1. First and the most critical. Update terrain shader to match at least 1024x1024 px textures and add a normal map channel please.
    2. Fix procedural flora to be lit with a light emitters. This one is broken since 2008 when Railsimulator has started.
    3. Update a forward-facing TrainFlora.fx shaders to generate shadows - and that's enough to make fine-lloking trees not worse than Trainz has.
    4. Animated trees using vertex paint or bone system?

Track and bogey system:
    1. Bogeys have a discrete movement along Y axis when passing curves. Make them turn smoothly please.
    2. Implement fixed track sections with loft connectors to make a non-procedural, highly-detailed junctions possible please. As minimum, fix junction 'cap' rail usage as it doesn't flip the second rail horizontally and makes impossible usage of non-symmetrical shapes and textures.

Vehicle physics:
    1. Fix the damned compressors at last. Both MSTS and all Your projects from Railsimulator to RSC have no working mechanical compressors for 20 years.
    2. Add an ability to switch the compressor off and loose all air. Add the Control which makes an adjustable air loss, please.
    3. Long car interiors (greater than 3 meters) has no collision with rain and snow particles.You should make a kind of a bounding box the same as for exterior light to mask particles from falling inside the passenger interiors and cabins )))

Scripts and API:
    - Messages can't be sent from train to track objects.
    - One train can't send scripted message to another one using a track wire.

Hope You'll find some of my ideas interesting. Thanks.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

A huge improvement, for me, would be real random evolving weather in QD.

This could be done by having a number (say 20 just as a ballpark figure) weather patterns with programmed evolvement, and have TS choose between them at random.

How nice wouldn’t it be to start in the rain, and then it clears up to be a sunny day?

Another huge improvement would to let us specify what weather we want to chose in qd, meaning not to be limited to 5 kinds of weather. There is so much good weather to choose from from AT alone, and there is good weather from other developers too. Imagine bei g able to choose all that weather in a QD.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

mr-bison-street-fighter.gif

• Like Like x 3
  21. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i want to be able to add lights to loft object.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

All clever ideas but let's not lose our game here. The most important points are backwards compatability (many have a lot invested in their DLC and routes, including me) plus the ability to EDIT, otherwise just go and use TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  23. pgdlrailworksl

pgdlrailworksl Member

Very pleased to read the Sim is going to receive further development, so on the basis that if you don't ask:

World Editor
    Stability has much improved since I started with Railworks3 but I still resort to the click-save-click-save mantra when editing lofts particularly when they are very close together as that often causes a crash.
    Really hate when clicking a loft to create a new gradient point that it may also select an existing point on another loft which can result in adjusting both of them if not very careful.
    Never found a use for the Padlock button, bottom right corner, but would do if it only locked the Track. Perhaps it could have a fly-out like Display Properties and select which categories to lock. Be nice to be able to lock Assets Blocks.
    Would like Double-clicking an Asset to show its full file path
    and that the Asset List was resizable.
    Another vote for an Asset Search function
    Exit to Scenario Editor without Saving option.

Scenario Editor
    In Windowed mode at least, when the Scenario Editor shows error coordinates the text is very small. Would like if these were Copyable or able to directly jump to the position.
    Double-clicking a piece of rolling stock showed the Item's name and its Provider (which may even be the Developer's name it is sold under...)

I like Quick Drive. It has possibilities as a variable AI scenario that adapts to available stock but would really like:
    More Consist Categories or to randomize each instance of a Category.
    Lua instruction screens in game
    The QD route shown on the map while editing it.
    Being able to specify the Loco's Number (with whatever customization the field may also contain) and set a Wagon's loaded state.
    Make Page 2 of the 'Marker - Consist Spawn Point' always available.

It was the World Editor which drew me to this game and after many hours of pleasure, frustration and more frustration it continues to hold my attention and I have built something to show for it.

Happy New Year!

24. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Thank you all for the feedback and response so far, we are working on what will be updated on TSC and will keep you posted on what is coming.

• Like Like x 3
  25. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Just to add to Jamie's note above.

Firstly, thank you all so much for your ideas and questions thus far. I'm very pleased to see there are a ton of ideas being posted, some very interesting, some a bit out there but all good to see nonetheless. Please do keep them coming.

I know there's a lot of questions that have come to light that I'd like to get into and address as soon as is practical, and I'll be working with JD and Jamie to get those answered as soon as possible.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year :)

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 5
  26. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Don't please tell us where to go until TSW have no modding API available at all (and will never have them available for every 3rd Party developer).
    Everything TSC needs is to keep existing modding capabilities working with any tools DTG decides to add or modify, and just some Core tweaks and minor graphical improvements to allow us make more complicated and modern content. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Walking camera would be a G.R.E.A.T feature as it takes an ability to interact with loco's external nodes like air hoses, valves of train tail signs/brake shoes manually while switching or preparing the train to ride the service.

I already done this simple way using an AnimatedCameraNode Control and some scripting. My 'avatar' can walk around the loco and operate some external nodes on car's body. That's not the best idea as I can't control sound occlusion effects (blueprint has no script-controlled values). But I use it for loco's engine compartment and this case works quite good.

28. Kim Olesen

Bug i’d like to see fixed: Page two of QD AI train spawnpoints locking up on routes with high ram usage.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Kim Olesen

The usage of any pattern (like those from Armstrong Powerhouse) in QD scenarios. I simply do not understand why we have to be limited to those few silverlining weathers.

How: simply add a new “import weather” button in the menu where season, weather and time is chosen.

30. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

I think, much better decision should be make a totally new skydome system, customisable in level Editor directly like in Trainz, with a couple of common patterns, movable between routes freely. Skydome, TimeOfDay and weather patterns are still one of the most complex assets to do from a scratch. Another one is RouteTemplate which duplicates many common route parameters and has no use when You're making a couple of routes from different geographical regions - every one would have a unique template then.

Same with ground textures. They can't be used on different routes if they have not the same template.

31. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I definitely agree on this one to be fixed please!

32. Koplopermau

Koplopermau Member

Again, I'd love to know the scope of the updates. I've got tons of ideas and wishes for the route and scenario editor, and for Train Sim as a whole, but I need to know if it is viable to post them all here or that its no use because the updates are just to keep the game going without the old flash menu.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

Would you mine sharing your secrets on how you did that? It sounds amazing!

34. bonfim0alex

bonfim0alex New Member

I'm happy with TSC and I don't intend to transition to any TSW. I've been here in Brazil for years since the MegaDrive, PSX Msts looking for a train game and found it in 2012. But we need more tools to manage it, we do.

35. Kim Olesen

This would need to be within the dispatcher code for it to work on all signal systems.

A random force red function with a probability parameter for a signal to be red on approach. And then a random time it’ll stay red.

Armstrong Powerhouse is working on something like it, but it’ll only work on Brittish routes.

Imagine how not knowing when you run into a red, would make scenarios interesting for much longer, because of the endless variation.

• Like Like x 2
  36. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I'd like to reiterate three of my favorite bugs, mostly because I just had two (and the third recently) but these regularly tend to mess with legacy content, maybe current as well.
    1a) If you are in for the whole ride, make sure to be seated next to the driver.
    20230107132407_1.jpg
    1b) Only reverse to recouple if you are looking for a kick in the butt.
    20230107132516_1.jpg
    2) I will be right here in four and a half minutes. Pay no mind to this tangible illusion.
    20230107151814_1.jpg
    3) If you ever spend the night coupled to your heavy train, the yard master is going to wax your wheels. Zero grip, much slip!

(Random decouplings, two async clocks, grip coefficient based on consist weight on load.)

• Like Like x 1
  37. westcastlerail

It is already possible to do something similar to this in Quick Drive!
    I pick four AI Spawn points along the route going in the same direction as driving, and set the AI Spawn possibility at 25%.
    That way you have everything from the possibility of clear run, through to a nightmare run, of hitting lots of reds!

38. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

How do you do this? It sounds intriguing!

39. Kim Olesen

I know it’s possible. I’ve made many of those. And i do it in nearly every signal block, but ofcourse with a much lower probability. I disapear the “blocking train” into a portal at the end of the signal block.

But a built in function for this would be much better, because the dispatcher sometimes have a hard time with some combinations of ai trains, and my scenarios litterally have over a million possible permutations.

• Like Like x 3
  40. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I think one thing that may need to be fixed over a period of time for Train Simulator Classic is the points system. I have noticed that sometimes when you successfully complete a scenario (e.g. if you score between 800-1000 points) the simulator may not give you a star or a checkmark, displaying as if the scenario was never completed when it really was.

41. westcastlerail

An idea....

I also do online flying using Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Much different technology and budget I know to TSC, but there is many paid and free AI Traffic Mods available to give you a real world flying experience.

The one I use is FSLTL, which is free, and made by a host of like minded community game players.

The way it works, is that they have about 1200 pre-built airplane models from all the major airlines in various liveries contained within a database.

It then uses the real world data from Flight Radar 24, which tracks real world flights and contains all the data from every flight (ie location, Altitude, speed etc).

The MOD then matches the data from Flight Radar with the airplane model and type from the database, and then injects it into the game.

You can literally now stand (virtually) at the end of the runway at any airport around the world in the game and watch real world take offs and landings. (as well as fly with them in real world!)

Now if we could have something similar for Train Simulator that would be awesome!

The real world train data is available from Real Time trains.

So if a developer could build a similar MOD for TSC there would be a very nice revenue stream they could potentially tap into and charge for as an “AI add on pack" to the entire back catalogues of TSC routes.

• Like Like x 2
  42. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

That's quite easy, man.
    1. Firstly, I've used AnimatedCameraNode as a point where "head" of my avatar exists with camera.
    2. As this node can be animated, I made an hierarchy of three 3d objects linked together. One is for X axis, another one is for Z (along the carriage) and the last one is for Y.
    3. Then, all You need is to design three TrainControls to control animations for all of three axis. Handling them via script, you make your virtual body walking along X and Z axis and Y can be used to perform steps and sit down/stand up actions.
    4. To collide with cabine/engine compartment, you need to check and list all coordinates that are not suitable to pass. Same for doors - if door was closed, you should not pass it's area while moving.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another one, a bit simplier way is to have just one TrainControl for AnimatedCameraNode, wich will have all walkable pass saved as a single trajectory. Incrementing added TrainControl means go ahead along all needed points of interest from one to another. And decrementing means go backwards. Trajectory should end at the same coordinates it had began to make movements looped.

to DTG guys:
    As You can see, You've made a real cool game. I think, You'd never planned such capability for player.
    So here're some tweaks needed to make a real working walking mechanics (for loco/traincar only and that's really enough as a 1st phase) :

- AnimatedCameraNode should be controlled not via animation curves, but with local x,z,y coordinates directly. So Your InputMapper need three new system Core TrainControls: animatedCameraNodeX,animatedCameraNodeY and animatedCameraNodeZ. Their min and max values are borders for player's camera inside the loco's body.

- A special "collision" meshes are needed similar like for external light, non-visible in game. Connected as a child to traincar's asset, this single mesh will work as a volume that camera should not pass while movement

- Also, it would be awesome to had a script method giving TrainControl's name camera was aimed just now.

Thanks to all.

43. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Great news to hear DTG are planning to further develop the game in the future.

I’ve always wondered if it might be possible to improve some of the generic assets that the game uses, particularly the Kuju stuff. Perhaps retexturing some things (like the kuju pub, the warehouses etc), swapping out the incredibly dated kuju passenger models for the more modern variant etc and replacing the old car models with the newer ones. Maybe even some new 2D tree models, or colour correct the ones we have. Just a thought.

It would give some older (and not so old) content an easy facelift.

• Like Like x 3
  44. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

I think, no one in DTG will do that - as all changes You've described are content-based and require lot of Art team work. They already has TSW to launch new routes without need of remake old ones.
    Role of DTG guys is now just keeping game Core alive and (possibly) adding some new engine capabilities like HD textures and full transfer to x64 and DX11/DX12. Everything else we'll do by ouselves.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Better terrain painting and manipulation, what we've got now is ok (just about) for large and distant terrain editing but for close up and fine detail it's probably the single most infuriating thing (apart from track manipulation but more about that in a minute) in the TS editor, smaller brushes and 64bit not 8bit block sizes are a must, anyone who's ever painted or lowered/raised a diagonal line will know exactly what I mean here.

Ability to select a section of laid track and move it left or right and also the ability to toggle rigidity whilst manipulating it, you can move it up or down (albeit at your own peril) but take for example the Huddersfield line 50 pence piece curves, the ability to select that section and deselect rigidity and to move that harsh angle to more of a curvature would fix that in seconds without breaking any signalling or track linked objects, or how many times has your track been "just off" by a millimetre left or right meaning you have to delete that section and re-lay that curve a bit longer or shorter until the sections align, how much easier would it be to just deselect rigidity for the highlighted part and move it left right up down to marry up with a pre-existing section.

Smooth a curve, Just like you can smooth a track height change or blend track types, the ability to smooth a selected section of track curvature would also be extremely useful (here's looking at you again Huddersfield line).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  46. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Just thinking about it, meaning to support it.

On one hand, a lot of these assets could be either merged, or updated via careful copy-paste. Shouldn't be much of an issue, might even reduce the amount of stuff that we have. Being a screenshot maniac while sticking to vanilla, I'd appreciate. Also being able to play old scenarios (still in my backlog) without constant swapping.
    In any event: models and sounds.

On the other, physics are a different animal. Scenario timetables might break as some trains might become unable to move properly. The only example I have seen mentioned is NS Coal District Monumental, which is clearly underpowered but supposedly wasn't. Also, older routes lack superelevation which in return requires certain physics. Anyone played the ICE 1 on Hagen-Siegen? The speed test? Scary :D but the E18 is the same. Signaling might break in a similar fashion.

But it goes back in a circle. We have so much content, modernizing a route every now and then, like a love project, could work. Jörg Künscher on these forums did stuff like that and it was pleasure to look at.

• Like Like x 3
  47. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Ah yes...
    And fix skinned shaders please, as meshes that use it can be exported using old Kuju's tools and materials only. I really wonder why anybody hasn't told about it while creating people assets since 2012.

• Like Like x 1
  48. kiski

kiski Member

Just a few things (picked from many, but that would be a long list of changes) that would make a loco creator´s life easier:

- proper brake system - this should be reworked from scratch I think - whole hardcoded brake system is living its own life in every loco, and loco creators must use some all-around-script tactics to simulate something sophisticated, but in the end they just affect train brake controller in some way, nothing more. It means fully independent loco brake, proper bailOff, custom air compressors controled with special control value, etc, etc.

- an ability for notch controled vehicles to use a separate TractiveEffort vs Speed curves for each notch.

- script controled cab occlusion (mentioned earlier in previous post)

- new vehicle messaging mechanism between vehicles themselves

- new coupling system to have the ability to simulate jumper cables that will properly turn in curves between vehicles (switchable - so the coupling will be visible with or without jumper cables, depending on some control value state)

That´s all for now.

• Like Like x 1
  49. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

- I think, that's one would be better called "Add ability to make working flexible air hoses and electrical cables please". It also can be used for chain-linked couplings to animate them properly according to coupling gap.

These ideas are also great and have high demand in modding community. Take +1 from me.

Train control/simulation:
    - trainControls to handle vehicle Front and Back couplings from Cabin or Carriage interface.
    - Working mechanical compressors, with air output proportional to RPM (switched off on a cold loco)
    - Compressor control must have an ability to be swiched instantly off and then launched back using script. Air system has no Core errors while pressure is zero (tested) - but we have no ability to spend all air without refilling it with a compressor even on a cold loco!
    - Also we need a new trainControl with a kind of virtual air contributor (on/off with a value of air taken while switched to ON) to make scriptable air leaks. Air horns, doors, relays - all of tjhem use air from Main reservoir, but only train brakes has air contribution. We can make these leaks using script.
    - Ability to control CabOcclusion parameters via script. Gain is a minimum needed, as it can be used to control state of doors and window frames.

Engine Core and graphics:

- Reworked terrain grid with support of tesselation and high-detail grid. Trainz will have 0.12m grid next month with a single-pass rendering routine.
    - Support of HD textures for terrain. Normal (high demand) and parallax (optional) maps
    - Increased (and customisable) shadowing distance value. Actual is too small for modern PCs. MIPs for shadows (similar like in RWEnhancer), not a cut-off.
    - Existing loft-based track is quite good. Add old rocking fixed-track pre-defined sections, well-known even from MSTS times please. It will allow to make well-detailed junction geometry, crossings, inspection pits etc. with a high precision. Non-procedural, high-detailed, animated junctions are on a high demand.
    - Procedural track elements (junctions, diamond junctions, crossings) have one rail CAP not flipped, so it makes impossible to use asymmetrical meshes for junctions.
    - Lofts can use normal-mapped materials too. Also, You can make a shader for shiny rail heads, with fake reflections and tinting please.
    - Junction blades are made to work with square-shaped rails, it makes impossible to animate them properly for a real shape of rail's head.

Signalling:
    - Some kind of a "Track-linked Transmitter" to send and receive messages along track in any kind of a scenario. It can be used like a Control Tower with its own script routine, handling signals and traffic effectively even in Free Roam scenarios.
    - Trains would send and receive messages from one consist to another, and from train to track-linked scripted asset, not only along the consist.
    - Awesome idea should be to have some kind of a "handheld radio" for player, allowing to send messages to all scripted assets in scene (using track aiming or/and radio channel)... It's a bit tricky but can be effectively used while shunting to operate junctions and co-operate with virtual Yard master.

Doesn't matter. Thank You a lot.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  50. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

That sort of thing would have to exist alongside the old system though, lest swathes of old content be broken.

• Like Like x 2