PC Two Steps Forward One Step Back

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ASRGT, Dec 7, 2018.

1. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

OK this is a bit of a rant I admit however it has been bugging me more and more each new content release. DTG can you please stop degrading the visual fidelity of the game each update and route …. Please.

The LODs are getting worse each time, if you look at the example below, the textures ... well no idea how the office workers feel about that floor plan but....
    Tree LOD pop in is still a major visual eye sore , can be tweaked out yes, but on Ultra in game its well a joke.

[​IMG]

• **EDIT** 3D Ballast is still there just had to delete my engine.ini as setting 0 or 1 was not taking effect
    • Rolling Stock in sidings has been removed from service modes, that is not optimization just lazy, and is simply creating a stale and bland world
    • Default draw distance is down from initial release .. again can be tweaked within the INI
    • Vegetation such as grass draw distance is now so low you can watch it grow in front of you. Again, requires end user to edit ini file to work around
    • Global light source is not occlude it seems by the cab roof on all locos, how is it with the sun setting behind the train I get glare on instrument cluster or drive under a bridge in shadow with no change to cab lighting. ***Corrected in Northern Trans-Pennine ONLY ***
    • Texture assets for anything not a loco seem to be down as well LIRR has examples in track side scenery that may as well not be textured.
    To make matters worse your promo screenshots are never indicative of what the average user can achieve with the in game options in my opinion, your grass render etc, is always shown far higher than the ULTRA setting in game allows.

I fully understand there Is attempts to optimize the game for both PC and Console players but please don’t do this at the expense of the visual experience for higher end machines, it’s a simulator after all immersion is key, this is achieved through combination of the game-play ( physics) Sound & Visuals , while Sound has been improving and so has the loco physics ( nice one :D ) , visually the game is going backwards in my opinion.

Please consider exposing more graphics option controls in game to allow users some choice rather than simply forcing new downgraded presets on users. Not everyone has powerhouse PC granted and at the same time some users also have more than enough head room to run maximum details and have invested a ton of money into hardware for that very reason.

At the very least offer a new preset that is the equivalent to what promo screenshots are taken at.

example: In order too even get close to what Train Sim World originally looked like when CSX came out I need the following tweaks:

r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-4
    r.ViewDistanceScale=5
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=1*

//End Rant

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

r.MaterialQualityLevel is just 0 or 1 to turn it on or off, there is no "2" option.

With 0 you have a higher grass view distance but it makes all the other things worse, you will have 2D trees instead of 3D in viewdistance. Also 3D ballast will be turned off.

There is a good guide what the settings does and how to use:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/a-guide-to-engine-ini-settings.4672/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I think they use Photoshop on the Steam Store images too. Maybe I'm wrong, but for example the lens flares here don't look to me as though they were rendered by the game. The lower two flares are exactly the same size/shape despite one light source being further away, as though someone used a lens flare brush in PS without changing the size to account for the relative positions of the lights. The same goes for the upper flares, a different brush to the lower lights but the same size/shape.

[​IMG]

If they do use PS it's a bit out of order. They don't even permit PS in the screen shot competitions.

• Like Like x 4
  4. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why lens flare is used anywhere. This is supposed to be a simulator of what our eyes see, not what a camera lens sees.

• Like Like x 5
  5. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Think its fair to assume they do, the sky for example is always far nicer in Screenshots than it ever is in game, a major bug bare of mine as well Sky and lack of Dynamic based weather, having to set static sliders ect feels very placeholder .

The glass is clearly not using screen space reflections as it does in game, neither are the reflections on the front cab windows, essentially there promo screenshots are not representative remotely of what you can achieve visually in game. Not unusual practice to be honest but i still feel its a tad dishonest and made worse when your options in game are so limited.

I say all this i still buy all the DLC because frankly i love the hell out of the game. Just wish they would stop forcing visual downgrades on everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The 3D ballast is not gone. LIRR has it too.

7. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Yes my mistake, my ini tweaks between material quality 1 or 0 where not taking effect, deleting my engine.ini has restored this effect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

Digital Draftsman : the pictures are definitely photoshoped, the reflections on the front window of the M7 mirroring the buildings is one they did. That is not possible in UE4, you only can mirror things in UE4 that are in view unless they use raytracing.
    Sad they need to do the fake screenshots in the advertisements.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Maybe we can start non factual hype - RAY TRACING CONFIRMED !! haha ... oh i should not say that someone will take it seriously :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

At this point raytracing is probably more likely then TSW Editor appearing! :D

11. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The editor will be coming after the new year. It’s pretty close.

12. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

If we define "close" as being somewhere between mid-year to the end of the year for a functional editor and workshop without the inevitable bug(s) that will be present on initial public release then you may well be correct.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

(I think that..)

• Like Like x 1
  14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Any more nits?

• Like Like x 2
  15. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I think UE4 is a good rendering engine for non moveable designs but as a game engine its a WIP.

But are there any other engines as good as UE4?