Xbox Tsw3 On Gen 8

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by thomastl59374, Jan 11, 2023.

1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

How is TSW3 on Xbox one ? I've only had it from game pass which I no longer have so I'm curious to find out if the issues I experienced have changed/ improved.

From what I remeber the main issues I experienced were poor FPS on SEHS especially between Ashford and Ebbsfleet, crashing of the game on SEHS and Kassel-Wurzburg including the ICE3 not loading in fully.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Don't know if you know this but there are no layers on gen 8 consoles for some routes (bml, hma) or less ai, emptier yards, shorter American freight consists (smh, hsc, cjp)

3. thomastl59374

I'm aware of the GEN 8 restrictions, it's the general performance I'm wondering about.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

I cant play any ICE3 services without instant crash so i don't even attempt it. And if there is one around while im in the ice 1 it crashes. Along with london commuter on full length runs and spirt of steam on any service connected to crewe. i never used to have crashes on sehs till i got tsw3. happens time to time on runs to st pancras. FPS on sehs is about the same as it was before besides the heavy stutter when you pass an ai with a custom livery. oh and randomly the game does this for no reason.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Performance is poor on Gen9 systems still, so I would say it is still an avoid product on Gen8 until significant improvements are made to the core engine to improve and smooth out the frame rates. Not what you (nor I) wanted to hear this far after release, but here's hoping DTG can turn things around without taking years to do so.

6. heliomass

heliomass Member

I have an Xbox One X, and here are the issues I've found (some may also be present on Series S and X)
    • Some routes (especially SEHS) have moments of incredible slow-down where the game is basically unplayable for around a minute. Usually this happens when approaching an area with more traffic (eg: arriving at Ashford International). In these cases, it's best to pause the game for a minute or two until the lag has passed. This can also happen on other routes when you have a lot of custom liveries loaded in, so it can be best to have a "clean" setup in terms of liveries. When things aren't bottlenecked, performance is generally pretty good.
    • On some locomotives, zooming in on the train's dashboard causes it to blur. Again, I've seen this most pronounced on SEHS, especially when running the Javelin or the TGV. It can be frustrating when you need to locate a button or see what's on a display if you're not using the HUD.
    • Some TSW2 routes (London to Brighton, Köln-Aachen) are missing layers. It's understandable this was done for performance on the last gen consoles, but there's a little bit of FOMO, especially with London Brighton, when you know how many interesting services you're missing out (freight, SouthEastern AI at Victoria, Reigate to Redhill). I won't say I'm not tempted to upgrade to a Series S to get the full experience ;)
    In my own experience, I've not experienced any crashes in a long while.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I play on xbox one s and agree with everything you have said. The performance hasn't changed a bit on the tsw3 routes, still 15fps on each of them with LOT'S of stuttering (obviously there are plenty of older routes which run quite nicely on gen 8 consoles like ntp etc) despite dtg saying they were 'happy' with the gen 8 performance-the only gen 8 console which runs tsw3 at a tolerable level imo is the xbox one x. dtg really gotta change the performance on gen 8 consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Luk396-e464

Luk396-e464 Active Member

9. Luk396-e464

I'm on Xbox One X and the game is tolerable (as performance). There is the problem of FPS but if we consider the technical performance of the console is a (more or less) good outcome to have generally no crash, especially on those route as Dresden-Riesa (even if there is the problem of Dresden Naudstat). But if have to be improved. I didn't find crash on SEHS, Kassel-Wurzburg, Cajon Pass. The only route that has known problems is Spirit of Steam (invisible red traffic line, derailment, etc.). If you bought routes that belong to Preservation crew, as Main Spessart Bahn, East Coastway, Northern Trans-Pennine, Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr, Tees Valley Line, etc..., these trains would appear as layers on modern route.
    The console usually has difficult to load the game because the textures, graphic, sound... are more and more realistic.
    In my big library of routes I think the only one that doesn't have layers is London Commuter and Marseille-Avignon.

"The ICE issue should have been resolved some month ago"

10. thomastl59374

This is all interesting thanks for the rsponses. I went back to TSW2 for the first time in a few months and it's the same. One thing particularly is annoying is when you pass a train that has dopplestock the FPS drops dramatically until you pass it, which on routes like HRR and MSB is quite often and very annoying. It's a shame as the TSW2020 version doesn't do this and the PIS actually works. Fingers crossed that these performance issues can be solved as I did prefer the look of TSW3 and how it is set up compared to TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

i was going to get a series x because i have other games on disk but the prices dont make sense. i could get a new series s with discounts for 200 without for 250 but an x is still 500 i cant justify paying double to play disk and have a slight power bump vs a series s. im hoping some in between console ends up coming out this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Luk396-e464

You would have 4k with 60-120 fps too

13. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

You would have 4k/30-60 fps for TSW and 4K/30-120 fps in general.

Away from TSW though, if you did purchase a Series X then you would also benefit from an optical drive and the ability to buy much cheaper physical copies of your games, which, if you purchase several over any given period, will bring down the overall price of the console.
    I've owned my XSX for around 18 months now and even though I haven't purchased many games I still reckon that I've saved in the region of £120 by choosing physical over digital...and of course you can sell on physical copies to further recoup any cost should you feel the need to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I've found in general on my Series X, that setting the console's baseline to 1440p/120 with VRR enabled is the sweet spot. With that setting you can also if you choose turn on HDR, something not possible alongside the other settings at 4k except, I believe, if you have an expensive HDMI 2.1 monitor.

15. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

to be honest im just playing on a regular tlc tv i wouldn't even notice. TSW the only thing id upgrade for. all my other games play fine.

16. Princess Entrapta

I'm interested to compare TSW3 on my new Ayaneo 2 to the Series S once it arrives.

17. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I would not waste my time with last gen for all the money in the world.
    This cant even be called an experience, frustration pure + restrictions on top.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

i play so many other games i never bothered to upgrade just to play a train sim. some people are having these issues on series s so its not like its unique to last gen either. Hard to really want to upgrade when you know you are only fixing some issues. its like polishing a car with a worn out engine. it looks better but its still clapped out.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Princess Entrapta

The major downside to consoles with any game that gets frequent updates over the years is that with PC hardware you are usually looking at upgrading every 5 years to stay up to date and be able to continue running the game with the same performance. But console generations can last ten years with no upgrades, so performance continues to degrade over time and you lose out on features in order to try and maintain some of it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

I personally think that XB1 and (especially) X360 games got better and better as time progressed...and the only reason that quality eventually fell away (with gen8) was because most developers could no longer be bothered making the effort. Why spend time and money ensuring things work properly when you can just blame a console for being too ancient, dust down the same old core game engine, chuck in some extra features and hope that the brute force of the next 'super-consoles' will keep the money rolling in, so to speak. Even though it's a bit of a sad policy you might be surprised to learn that some developers out there still adopt that way of thinking! Yeah, I know, I was shocked too when I first heard about it!

I'm not saying that things should last forever, far from it...but what I am saying is that for as long as quality games are still being made on any platform then there should be no excuse for anything sub-standard.

• Like Like x 2