Tsw: December Studio Update

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Dec 4, 2018.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

We recently gave some more detail on the Editor and I didn’t want to let another update slip by without giving you some more information since I know it’s a hot topic for discussion.

READ MORE

• Like Like x 18
  2. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

YEET

• Like Like x 1
  3. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Are you going to add the class 387 class 800 class 345 and class 360 on the GWE route

• Like Like x 6
  4. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Wondering the same thing

• Like Like x 4
  5. _Crash_

_Crash_ Member

At least the tools are going out to developers this mouth. Hopefully within a few months we will start seeing some WIP stuff.

GWE is crying out for some sort of update, whether thats new train(s), branch extensions, liveries, or at least the give us the visual difference of the catenary going to Reading.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mkdog45

agreed

• Like Like x 3
  7. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 4
  8. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

To DTG, thank you VERY MUCH for this update. Doing updates like this on a more regular regular basis would go a LONG WAY towards keeping customers happy.

• Like Like x 8
  9. blasdani

blasdani New Member

Hi,
    In the article you don't speak about object (assets) creation such as buildings, cars, trucks, trees, walls, etc... this means that we could use any object created for UE4 in the TSW routes? or TSW objects will be only for the TSW and we will be stay to the waiting for create the compatible TSW objects when available the next updates of creation tools?

Thanks for the update.

• Like Like x 2
  10. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Yes, take your time. Its not like we have been waiting 2 years for that one.
    Just keep on releasing more and more Dlc's to milk more profit out of your customers though while keeping the priorities for things like the editor as low as possible.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a hollow update to be honest. First the editor is announced as coming in 2017, then it's annouced as coming in 2018 and now it's being announced as coming in 2019.

The editor has been in development and daily use for several years, so I struggle to understand why it's still throwing up surprises which cause it to be delayed. You say it's not in the right state for the public beta but you don't apply those same high standards to your DLC, where three routes have been released with broken signalling; GWE has no flashing yellow signals, in NEC the ADU doesn't work correctly and in RT the PZB doesn't work either. So why are the standards for the DLC not on par with those for the editor? There's clearly something you're not telling us about the editor, meanwhile the DLC keeps coming, complete with the same bugs as the previous DLCs.

The physics backport for GWE isn't an improvement either. The Class 66 now has a top speed of over 200mph, the brakes charge too quickly, the air flow indicator doesn't work correctly and there's still no wheelslip. So please don't take the Sandpatch locos and give them a top speed of 200mph and even more broken air brakes, go back to the GWE stuff and get that right first.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Simple answer to that: They used it with the original assets. We only get the compiled/packaged/minimized assets which UE-Editor is not designed to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Digital Draftsman

Is it possible there is no practical solution to that problem?

14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

We will be able to import custom assets. :)

15. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

In the next Studio update i would like to see some of these things adressed:
    - Progress on new Core Game features like PIS
    - Progress on Bug fixes / RT Re-Signaling

• Like Like x 6
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Gwe clag addressing if possible pls. Hst smokes like a steam engine rear power car does nothing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi blasdani.

Not sure if I understand you correctly so please do correct me if you think I've got this wrong. I think you're asking whether you will be able to use all of the assets that are included with our routes such as buildings, cars, trucks, trees, etc. Whilst you wont be able to edit the routes directly as was mentioned in our last studio update, it is certainly our intention for you to be able to use those assets in your own routes. Trees is probably the only exception to that because we use SpeedTree and you will need to obtain a licence to be able to make your own SpeedTree trees. However, Unreal Engine itself comes with a selection of trees and there are lots of them available for importing to Unreal Engine online.

Hope this answers your question but let me know if you were thinking of something else.

Hi xD 2Bad4You,

Certainly will put your question forward to Matt to address in the next "Your Questions Answered" article.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrainSim-Steve

Hi Digital Draftsman,

I would be really interested in hearing more about the problem you're reporting with the previous physics backport. Have you been in touch with Customer Support to report the issue? If you have, could you share the ticket number with me and also record a short video which highlights the problem so I can get it over to the engineers?

On the subject of the other issues you've mentioned - I just want to confirm and reassure that we haven't forgotten about those.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  19. Digital Draftsman

I reported the issues in the original Autumn Patch thread. I don't like the Kayako ticketing system as in order to use it you have to permit Kayako to use your personal data for advertising purposes, which I disagree with.

To replicate the issue of the top speed, take the Class 66 and open the throttle to Notch 8 and leave it. You'll be overtaking HSTs in no time.
    upload_2018-12-5_12-25-58.png

The air flow meter is also not working correctly. We'll assume there are no air leaks and the brake pipe is perfectly sealed as I don't think air leaks are modelled, which is fine. The air flow meter measures the rate of air going in/out of the brake pipe. The brake pipe control gauge measures the pressure in the brake pipe at the front of the train. When you release the brakes the brake pipe pressure increases at the front of the train before the back end. Once the brake pipe control gauge shows 5 bar, this means the front of the train is 5 bar, however the back of the train will take a while to catch up, this is where the air flow meter comes in. Air will still be flowing into the brake pipe so long as the back of the train remains below 5 bar. This means the air flow meter should show air flow for a while after the brake pipe control gauge shows 5 bar, but in TSW it almost instantly drops to a flow of 0 as the brake pipe control gauge gets to 5 bar. It's important that this gauge works as it's the only means of knowing when the brakes at the rear of the train have released, as when they have the flow rate will drop to zero.

Watch the air flow meter in this video, it's never zero because the air system is always leaking, but look how long it's showing positive flow after the brake pipe gauge reads 5 bar.

The brakes also charge too quickly. If you couple to a train it should take minutes to recharge the brakes, but with the Class 66 it only takes a few seconds. When first coupling to a train, not only does the brake pipe have to be charged, but so do all the wagon reservoirs. Lets say each wagon has a 40 litre air tank, on a 20 wagon train that's 800 litres, with an airflow rate of 10 litres per second, that's 80 seconds, in TSW it takes about 15 seconds to charge and release the air brakes on a 20 wagon train.

As for the wheel slip, where is it?!

• Like Like x 6
  20. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks for the detailed information Digital Draftsman,

If you can capture a video of the overspeeding - we're mostly interested in the events leading up to this occurring, hence we need the video. Share the video here or in DM if you wish and I can then get it over to the engineers alongside the other information provided above.

Many thanks, Steve

21. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I can support this claim. Ps4 dragline scenario after the update. Left my chair to tend to an issue elsewhere in the house. Came back to the train going at 113mph.
    Although the hst is known to have done 148mph. In the game it will quite happily go 140mph in no time if not monitered.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Not my footage but one Ive found online. Granted this train is only 2 container wagons. Its the only video I can give a link to.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  23. TrainSim-Steve

Superb find, thanks Rob39!

Will get this over to the team.

Best, Steve

24. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The ‘clag’ or smoke coming out of the trains’ exhaust, that being the HST, Class 166 and 66, in GWE needs a major re-work.

Currently it looks far worse than what can be offered in TS for the same trains.

These problems are applicable for all three trains;

- Whilst idle, there is far too much smoke coming out the exhaust.
    - The smoke itself is far too dense. Needs to be a lot less dense.
    - Smoke or Steam? I’ve never seen such white smoke coming out of a modern train with modern and efficient (MTU for the HST) Engines.
    - Whilst at speed, there’s shouldn’t be a trail of smoke following behind it, as that just looks unrealistic.
    - There should be a ‘heat haze’ coming out of the HST’s exhaust rather than it pretending to be a steam train.
    - The animations themselves for smoke are pretty poor.

I cant help but think this was an afterthought and was rushed, hence it being poorly implemented. Infact I remember when we had no smoke at all for a good while.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Happy to help. We all are.

26. blasdani

blasdani New Member

Hi Steve,
    Sorry for my english… i don't explain correctly.
    Since many years I create freeware content for railworks (assets as buildings, cars, trucks, trees, walls, etc and some spanish wagons; also I collaborate in the creation of some spanish routes). I would like to export my assets for TSW too, or make a new ones. Could I do this only with the UE4 editor and import the objects to the TSW route creation tool directly, or I will need a specific TSW object creation tool to make this?

Regards.

27. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I believe you can import into UE4 just like with any other asset. It appears the TSW editor is a sort of overlay to the standard level editor, instead of its own separate entity.

28. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

. Hst at 150 mph

29. Sintbert

All the stationary/unanimated assets should be no problem to import/create right now in the editor without any TSW-Tools and they should just work later in the game.
    Only special stuff that depends on how they did things will have to be adjusted once the tools are out. Like wetness/snow and other effects.

30. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

The following is from the Studio Update Questions article (my emphasis):

31. Mkdog45

1. Will the editor work on PS4 /Xbox
    2.if it doesn't can we still get them on PS4 but not make them.

32. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ps4 has an editor of sorts

33. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

1: No, the Editior only works on PC
    2: Probably not at release. They might make it possible for Scenarios/Reskins to be released on Console in the future. Routes probably not, maybe some 3rd party developers want to release on Consoles in the future but we will have to see.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

There will be something on consoles. Not to the extent of the PC editor. Loco cross over scenarios for a start has been mentioned.

35. TrainSim-Steve

Hi blasdani,

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the UE4 Editor.

If you think about how making models for Train Simulator works (TS19):
    1. You use 3ds Max/Blender/Some other 3d modelling package to create and texture your model - and then export it into a format that TS19 can read.
    2. You then use the Blueprint Editor to create all the configuration and define some key parameters that are then used by TS19 to allow placement in the route editor
    3. Once complete, you load TS19 and then load the Route Editor to place your objects in the world
    The UE4 Editor essentially combines step 2 and 3. So the process will look like:
    1. You use 3ds Max/Blender/Some other 3d modelling package to create and texture your model - and then export it into a format that EU4 can read.
    2. You then use the UE4 Editor to define your materials, create all the configuration and then place in the 3d world.
    I've simplified the process massively here but I hope this is clearer for you to understand but let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Mkdog45,

We covered this in a previous Studio Update article and I don't have any further information for you right now. We are certainly most interested in hearing your thoughts on how you think this could work.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  36. AntonK_007

AntonK_007 Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,

TSW needs to replace the sky, is it planned to introduce for example a trueSKY?

Please clarify the moment with vegetation.
    Can third-party developers do their vegetation except SpeedTree with animation?
    Will it be possible to use more detailed SpeedTree models?

Sorry for my English.
    Best, Anton

• Like Like x 1
  37. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

Will users be able to enter repaints of locomotives and railway wagons in TSW?

38. TrainSim-Steve

Hi Anton,

I'm not sure there are any plans to incorporate TrueSky into TSW, the plugin is far too demanding on hardware resources, but we do have a plan for upgrading the skies in the not-too-distant future.

To use SpeedTree you will need to purchase your own license but it is not a requirement for vegetation in Train Sim World. You are free to use and make your own if that's what you wish.

Hope this answers your questions but let me know if you need any further help.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
  39. TrainSim-Steve

Hi Fabrizio520,

Absolutely, yes you will be able to use repaints of TSW locomotives and wagons :)

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 3
  40. AntonK_007

Thank you, Steve

Will Train Simulator World support flora assets, made with the built-in Unreal tools like Unreal Grass and Unreal Procedural Flora?

Regards, Anton

41. TrainSim-Steve

Hi Anton,

Yes, those are supported in the UE4 Tools and TSW.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  42. Mkdog45

TrainSim-Steve are we getting class 387

• Like Like x 2
  43. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I’ve seen loads of people ask this but think for a minute.

How can you possibly run a 387 on GWE in its current state, with it being part electrified? Second thing is DTG have no plans to update the current version of GWE. It’ll be a new DLC if they do release an updated version.

44. Mkdog45

I believe that you are completely right. I also think that getting the electrostar family in TSW is very important because nearly every company uses them.
    -Southeastern
    Southeastern_c._Class466cuxton.jpg
    -Southern
    1_XxYwl_Dqz6DekXhH2-qhrQ.jpeg
    -Gatwick Express
    28601873150_62447bcd50_b.jpg
    -Great Western
    300px-2016-09-02_GWR_Electrostar_387132,_387131_-_London_Paddington_by_Luke_Deaves.JPG
    - Thameslink
    23496997098_dac447fb8b_b.jpg
    and more.

• Like Like x 2
  45. AntonK_007

Hi, Steve

Will TSW support 3rd party assets from the Unreal Marketplace? So can we, for example, purchase a 3rd party Water or Skybox system (both freeware or payware according to asset's EULA) and use it in our own route or mod for TSW?
    Also, how we will distribute our own content along the community? Should we use Unreal Marketplace to distribute mods or some kind of another platform?

Thank you, Anton

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Sintbert

Most of this is answered in the Blog.
    Any simple unreal-assets should work, more complex may depend on systems not available in TSW. You can also use any Editor-Mods/Addons.
    Your own stuff you can distribute as unreal-pack-files and upload them to what ever site/market/distributor you like. That includes steam-workshop. Unreal Marketplace would be more the place to upload assets in unpacked format so everyone can work with them.

47. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

DTG i have question about editor and UR4 updates. since every few months unreal get updated and current one is unreal 4 2.1 and i think there been some feature added like geographic sun and moon position and stuff will they be automatic addi n editor and supported in game?

48. TrainSim-Steve

Hi raptorengineer,

That's a great question that will need Matt to explain how it will work - I've therefore added this to the list of question to be answered in the next studio update.

Best, Steve

49. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

According to the articles about the editor so far the current version of UE4 in use is 4.16.3 so I expect the answer to be no. Equally I suspect that even when DTG upgrade to using those later versions that they will still need to add some explicit coding to enable geographic sun and moon position etc. but I may well be wrong about that part.

50. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think DTG made their own sky system with sun and moon position.

• Helpful Helpful x 1