Long Island Locos

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NorthRail1, Oct 27, 2018.

?
  1. LIRR DE30AC/DM30AC

105 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. LIRR M3

77 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. LIRR M9

69 vote(s)
    44.8%
  4. NY&A GP38-2

55 vote(s)
    35.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

The new Long Island Rail Road route has been announced for Train Sim World, featuring only the M7. Here are some ideas for future loco expansions which could be made by either Dovetail Games or third parties.

LIRR DE30AC/DM30AC
    LIRR_Cannonball_train_2798.jpg

The DE30AC and DM30AC are the only bi-mode locomotives on the Long Island Rail Road network, and so operate services to the diesel-only parts of the route. Paired with the C3 double-deck passenger carriages and cab car, this would in my opinion be the best first loco expansion for the Long Island Rail Road.

LIRR M3
    LIRR_Train_2820_leaves_Cedarhurst.jpg

The oldest locos operated by LIRR, the M3s were built in the 1980s and have operated on the LIRR and Metro-North networks since. These are currently due to be replaced by the M9 EMUs which are currently in testing.

LIRR M9
    LIRR_Kawasaki_M9_EMU_-_Jamaica_NY.jpg

Whilst it may be difficult to create these for TSW as they are not currently in general service, it would be good to see the M9s featured in TSW eventually. The M9s have been ordered to replace the M3s and to provide extra capacity for the East Side Access Project, allowing LIRR trains to reach Grand Central Terminal.

New York & Atlantic GP38-2
    maxresdefault.jpg

Something completely different for the route would be the addition of the New York & Atlantic Railway, a Class III railroad which operates along LIRR tracks. One of the main locomotives of the New York & Atlantic, already featured in TSW, is the GP38-2. The addition of freight would provide further variety in services to the route as freight is currently missing from the route.

• Like Like x 25
  2. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

I need the GP:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

Voted for all. The more trains the better :love:

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. metr0p0litain

metr0p0litain Active Member

I voted for the M9 because it's the future stock and comes with the possibility to do testing like it's done at the moment. Basically I think it's very important to have more than one stock to keep an add-on interesting. Rapid Transit is sometimes boring because there's only one stock. Like Piussi said: The more trains the better.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

There is not much more I want in this DLC then to have the DM30AC and C3 cab car but there are multiple factors to it for why we didn’t get it. First, for the trackage given to us it doesn’t provide anywhere near a good experience to operate the diesels. Only during rush hour do the diesels go from the City Zone to Port Jefferson (Hicksville in game) and they are mostly just express. It would sorta be like the HST in GWE that made close to no stops to Reading but would still add some extra variety in many places. The other factor was that Matt said it himself on Discord that he’d love the DM30AC but they have close to no reference material on it. Below I will show what he said exactly,
    B86FA269-0139-4AF3-B9F3-3F8E84580580.jpeg

So he says they’re collecting reference material for it currently which could indicate to an eventual DM30AC DLC? I would certainly love that!

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  6. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Wow, that's definitely what this sounds like- interesting that we have a fairly obvious hint at a loco DLC long before the base route is released. I wasn't expecting this to be such an immediate priority for DTG- the route seems like it would be fine with only the M7 (All the major services are covered, the dual-mode services could easily be swapped out without anyone caring too much).

• Like Like x 3
  7. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Hooooo boy. Voted for the entire lot. The more the merrier, as Piussi stated prior. The DE/M30AC should come after an extension of the LIRR DLC is made. Though, personally, I wouldn't mind it coming prior to a route extension, with the route extension being incorporated at a later date (along side one of the other 3 choices). This is all assuming that DTG themselves, ever expanded the mainline in the direction of the Port Jefferson branch and down the Ronkonkoma branch (or maybe even down the Babylon and Montauk Branches). Either way, definitely looking forward to seeing any one of these 4 make the cut in the LIRR DLC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I voted to let’s hope when they release the Dm30AC Locomotive c3 Double decker cab car we’ll see a extension of The Hicksville line out to Port Jefferson I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed

9. mrchuck

Wow awesome when The Dm30’sAc Locomotives are released onto train sim World will we see Montauk,Port Jefferson or oyster bay?

10. steadfast

steadfast Member

What about the switchers operated on the route? Sound ace and operate the maintenance trains and rescue failed units believe, so some interesting scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I like this idea. It could also have a CSX livery and be playable on HH and NEC. We need more versatile DLC like that, IMHO.

12. mrchuck

I totally agree with you I would love to see Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma because they mentioned it in the TSW article I would also love to see Babylon because they show where the Babylon Branch starts in Jamaica so hopefully the extension will come soon I would love How Dovetail creates Port Jefferson,Ronkonkoma and Babylon.

13. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I would love to have the New York & Atlanta gp38-2 as well as the DE30AC. The more trains, the merrier!

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  14. david18sych

david18sych Member

An extension to Bethpage and Farmingdale for the M7 and the single track shortcut to Babylon possibly even Bay Shore for the DE/DM30AC

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lawjester

It would be very nice to have the DM30AC, but since DTG has no access to it, it’s unlikely they’ll make it anytime soon. An extension at some point in the future by DTG or third party would be nice. Either up to Ronkonkoma or personally, I’d like to see them finish up the Atlantic branch with the Far Rockaway, Long Beach or Babylon branches but we can’t expect anything soon because other places then New York, need to be explored in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the M3s, since the M9s are too similar to the M7s to me and there's not really any full lines that could use diesel power, unless they made an extension in the future with the Oyster Bay Branch or something (like that's gonna happen). The M3 is something that would fit in perfectly with the current route.

• Like Like x 6
  17. mrchuck

Hopefully the DM30AC’s Locomotive is the next Dlc for Train Sim world I would totally buy it when it’s available on train sim world.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mrchuck

Maybe they’ll add the Port Jefferson Branch to the train sim world scenario

19. mrchuck

I could see Ronkonkoma,Port Jefferson or Port Washington but not Montauk because it’s a 2 hour train ride into the city.

20. david18sych

david18sych Member

I got high suspicion that DTG might be working on the DE/DM30AC since the next in line is an unannounced American DLC with Rapid Transit's new loco on the horizon already.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mrchuck

Awesome

22. Lawjester

That’s pure speculation with zero good evidence to go off on. Highly doubtful we get an LIRR loco DLC for another year at least.

• Like Like x 2
  23. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

And I got high suspicion that you're speculating

24. david18sych

david18sych Member

Well it is speculation, but I sent earlier a message via Instagram to DTG requesting for an update on the LIRR DLC for DE/DM30AC with full service timetable, hopefully I get a reply.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

I doubt that they would put diesel Double decker Add on DLC For LIRR, it wouldn’t make sense bc it goes from NY penn to Hicksville when the diesel train goes way further out then the M7s. M3s is the only choice they have or less they extended the lines where the M7s & M3s don’t go. Just a Opinion that have valid points

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. mrchuck

The DM30AC’s Locomotive Double decker goes to Long Island City.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

I like the M9.

• Like Like x 1
  28. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

Finally retiring M7. I would love to see another locomotive of any type in the future would add more variety like gwe and maybe in the future when/if possible merging of Oyster Bay with current route but really just want locomotives to add on love the route memorized every piece of it. I would also like to add in case anyone was wondering I don't only play lirr . I finished RT I'm halfway done with gwe loving it by the way and New York just lacks locomotives like lirr. So please DTG if you are listening to us all we ask for is a new locomotive 4 LIRR 2020 and happy New Year to everyone!Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  29. mrchuck

Now that Bombardier coach’s are included on the next locomotive Dlc think there’s a chance that a lirr locomotive will be released onto train sim world in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I see 2 locomotives and 2 multiple units. Not that I know much about American railways, my choice of locomotive would be LIRR DE30AC/DM30AC.

• Like Like x 1
  31. mrchuck

I just found out about track 8 in Jamaica station is usually for Diesel locomotives but on race day scenario which has bugs Dtg should try adding a lirr diesel locomotive to the DLC.

32. mrchuck

Any chance of the Dual mode diesel locomotives for lirr becoming a Locomotive Dlc for TSW I hope it’s in the future.

33. Olaf the Snowman

I can’t comment about the U.S. but it would be cool if they had a bimode unit such as the Class 800s which seems to be on a lot of people’s wish list because they are making their way across most of the UK intercity routes including the GWML post electrification so some are expecting this to be an add on to the Great Western Express. Having said this, it will be a challenge because they will need to make the TMS much more operational than it currently is compared to for example the Class 377 which only can show train formation and door status. The TMS will control (manual/automatic) Selective Door Opening(SDO) as well as Automatic Power Changeover (APCo). APCo uses balises in the track to control mode of operation. In other words, the train should automatically switch from Diesel to Electic and vice versa at the correct times and this can be verified on the TMS as well as in-cab light indications. This can be done manually if it fails to do so automatically or in certain situations where APCo is not available or disabled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. mrchuck

When it does come out sometime soon will the Dual mode diesel locomotives for the Lirr stop at track 8 in Jamaica because now you have a M7 on track 8 and that’s nominally where the Dual mode diesel locomotives stop.

35. Olaf the Snowman

Again, I can speak generally because I’m not familiar with the LIRR but there are many reasons why a particular service or traction uses a particular platform and/or may not be allowed to enter certain platforms. Examples could include the following:

1. Gauging issues as the locomotive+coaches may be bigger or wider than the M7, for example

2. Platform lengths as the locomotive+coaches may be longer than the M7 and therefore not all platforms can accommodate it

3. Ease of pathing into the platform and out of the platform- e.g. leaving Paddington, it’s not going to be very efficient to have a commuter train on the low end platforms (e.g. platform 1) because to get onto the Down Relief (line 4), you would need to cut through the other lines. Good luck doing that with 10 trains per hour in each direction without causing delays!

4. Some routes can only be accessed from certain platforms. E.g. If you’re going Plymouth via Westbury and you approaching Reading, you don’t want to be routed onto Platform 9. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that you are not wrong routed.

5. To keep things simple for passengers and for customer service screens. i.e. a particular service always using the same platform makes it easier for commuters to ensure they don’t catch the wrong train

6. For ‘intercity’ services, they may like to keep the train on platforms with a lift or direct exit out of the station to help disabled/wheelchair passengers

7. Other operational issues such as if that station is where the bimode switches from diesel to electric or vice versa, the balise for APCo may only just be put in one platform (but it could be done on manually on another platform if need be). Or maybe they dint want diesel trains in the inner platforms as ventilation is not as good, etc...

With regard to your question, I wouldn’t hold my breath about TSW following reality because there’s so many other things they do on GWR, for example, that don’t follow reality. E.g. faults with signalling system, 6 vice 8 coach HSTs, train handling, etc... so to be honest, a train in a different platform in TSW than it should be is a non-issue. The only way it would matter on TSW would be if point 4 and possibly point 3 that I wrote above apply in which case they will have no choice but to ensure the locomotive arrives/departs on platform 8. If you’re familiar with the LIRR, perhaps you can see if any of the reasons above may explain why platform 8 is used.

oh and platform = track ;)

• Like Like x 1
  36. mrchuck

well only the dual mode diesel locomotive for the Lirr stop at track 8 and the dual mode diesel locomotive that stop at track are going to Oyster bay,Speonk,Montauk and port Jefferson those are the Dual mode diesel locomotive that stop at track 8 in Jamaica.

37. david18sych

david18sych Member

Just recent on Dovetail's Instagram is the LIRR's M3 Budd EMU coming to TSW. If we pester the M3 forum, The DE/DM30AC might be the next DLC after this one.

• Like Like x 5
  38. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Anyone from the future knows that we now have the m3 for lirr

• Like Like x 2
  39. mrchuck

That’s cool 90 votes for the dual mode diesel locomotive let’s keep voting for the dual mode diesel locomotive to come in the future

40. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

• Like Like x 3