Rivets’ New Scottish Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

This route on its own isn't what I would call the most interesting. It needs an X factor which I figure Rivet thinks the 385 plus lifts and other gimmicks are. Short of the Queen Street tunnel and famous Edinburgh landmarks its quite average scenery wise, not unpleasant but you wouldn't use it for scenic excursions etc.

It's essentially the bottom part of a Central Scotland triangle of routes with more feeding in and out along the way. The fact that most of the triangle up to say Larbert or Stirling probably could have been done is my opinion. Even if it was 385 only it would have helped.

The other x factor would have been different trains. Could have been 80s with the 47/7s with the iconic local names and mk3s or the 27s with the hectic hard to keep schedules.

Instea many are sitting here wondering why they have splashed out £30 for a one train bug filled quiet route.

• Like Like x 5
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I'm assuming no Railtour layers for those who own the BR Classics, then?

3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

yup, there aren't any in game

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Is it just me but there is no window that you can open from the driver cab. I wonder if that is the case in real life. The window not opening. :|:(

5. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Did I dream it or did Rivet tease that there would be some sort of expansion pack released shortly after the main route was out?

6. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

The expansion pack looks to be a steam railtour pack for West Cornwall Local using the Jubilee from Spirit of Steam - so far nothing to do with Scotrail Express. Might find out more either this week or during the stream next Sunday night.

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Curious to see if it comes with any updates on the route. Wouldn't be the first time for Rivet. Both Arosa and Isle of Wight got upgrades alongside a DLC to cover the costs...

8. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

I believe that is correct to real life

9. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

Quick one, if you don't mind. How do I turn the TMS on please? Steam and using a keyboard and mouse.
    Thanks

10. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

There is a clickspot on the top of the TMS-screen.

11. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

Thank you very much.

12. acro

acro Active Member

Fun fact; closing the door to the rear of the driver makes the wind sound much quieter in the cab
    TS2Prototype-Win64-Shipping_2023-01-27_15-29-18.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I cant hear the "windsound" everybody talks about.

Inside a coach / emu compatment you can hear the "looping" sound of the wheels turning, and just noise from the underframe in general. Sitting rather close to a motor bogie, also traction sounds are to hear.

So with the 385 the major mistake was, not get out and make records. Currently it sounds they took the external sound of a passing unit at 100mph, and cutted this as 1 second loop in the passenger / drivers compartment.

;) just get into any train / tram or whatever you have close and pay attention to the "windnoise", then you get what rivet have tried to implement. In good isolated newer compartments / double floor coaches its very silent, but its there.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. thatsn0moon

thatsn0moon Member

This route has so much potential but gosh is it buggy.

TMS/announcements haven't worked on any of the two timetabled services I've completed. One didn't register the destination at all, and todays one registered the destination and displayed it on the TMS but none of the announcements included anything other than "This is the..." aspect.

The cab wind noise is awful - thanks to those suggesting closing the internal divider door.

The route is pretty - the train too. Performance is above average too! But as is often the case I'm again left asking "does anyone actually sit and play these routes before release?".

C'mon guys, your QA here is awful. I'm an amateur with as much train knowledge as JD and even I picked these issues up.

• Like Like x 6
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Watched the first section of his first stream, kind of hard to hear some of the commentary over the train sound, mainly the wind.

I would actually say from what I've seen so far it has received a slight promotion from, "Don't touch with a bargepole", to "Pick it up when at least 50% off and some of the bugs have been addressed". The sounds are probably the main issue especially if they have been synthed from what Rivet already have rather than taken from actual recordings of the prototype. The route itself looks okayish, still a preponderance of trees everywhere and I couldn't tell if Falkirk Wheel had been included.

As regards the view from the 385, well it's pretty dire, but only Rivet's fault in that they chose that as the prototype rather than go back to the 158/170 epoch. Guess they didn't want another Sprinter physics debacle. Just the 385 does cast the route down in the same bracket as all the other releases, IMHO for thirty quid we should be getting two new rolling stock items.

Anyhow as it stands < than £15 and I might pick this up over BCC.

• Like Like x 3
  16. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

Most of all it's annoying because the last English route (by DTG) with the Class 323 was just great. Especially the vehicle and its sound are world class compared to the Rivet vehicle.

With all the anticipation, I unfortunately have to say that Rivet once again cannot keep the promised quality.

• Like Like x 2
  17. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

I just wanted to know why since Rush Hour the routes released have drastically dropped in terms of content?

- Boston Sprinter has two trains;
    - Dresden to Riesa has a multitude of trains;
    - London Commuter also has several layers and numerous services.

After them, you rarely notice new routes with these particularities. Could DTG explain to us, directly and objectively, why this is happening? Edinburg to Glasgow is an example of what should not have been done with so many features offered by TSW3:

- Little movement of trains in terminal stations;
    - Virtually no passengers on trains and stations;
    - Virtually no trans movement on the line, especially in Edinburg;
    - Horrible 385 sounds;
    - Few services available, which consequently make the line empty;
    - unusable lighting and weather effects.

Third parties are having to make mods to fix things that should have come at launch. Well, if third parties do it, why don't they immediately release an editor along the lines of Train Simulator Classic?

Are you waiting the Simrail that you recently launched, which by the way the reviews on Steam are very positive, surpasses DTG to the point that players migrate there?

Please, honor your consumers with quality products and also with transparency in information, saying what is possible and what is not in your game/simulator..

• Like Like x 8
  18. meridian#2659

Rush Hour showed whats possible in terms of variety and a.i services, also those routes had the nessecary rolling stock available in tsw. I personally dont have a problem with the empty stations, its just a side phenomen of tsw still growing. At some point they have to begin, either producing only loco dlcs, or start a route with only one train and have it kind of empty at the begin.

I never had problems with electrostars, rather wish dtg would expand the southeastern highspeed with another new train, or expand the southern with also a new trains. There we could have enough variety. (as new train a class 700 for example).

My personal wish would be a BR era route 80/90s, with our classic diesels, and add maybe a cl.58 or cl.60. Counting the ones we have DTG released a lot of BR diesels, which would give variety like we have on german dlcs.

Im not expecting a second "new" train with the increase of the price. But lower the quality in combination with 1/3 more expensive dlcs is a strict no go for me.

• Like Like x 5
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If true, that is totally unacceptable. A design practice from the Bad Old Days that I thought had been tossed in the dustbin.

• Like Like x 7
  20. SteveRail

London Commuter is back to being my most played DLC, despite its faults it is still by far the best route in the game imo. It really should have set the standard for all future DLC

• Like Like x 8
  21. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

I fully agree. Route with plenty of schedule options and multi-layer trains, only with the problem of passengers disembarking at the next station and without the lighting and weather of TSW3...

• Like Like x 2
  22. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I still havn't had this issue at all, despite having run 10 services.

23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I've run into it a couple of times but definitely not every time.

24. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

I think while people buy it the developers won't worry that they are offering less for the £30.00. Plenty of wow TMS/PIS type comments along the way along with many who are happy to drive a route/train they have been after despite the bugs and lack of decent sounds.

The fact that many of us are highlighting the lack of AI at the busy stations and the fact only one train comes with it won't make much difference to future DLC going by past releases. We can beat the drum but it may go unheard.

• Like Like x 5
  25. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Definitely cemented that I have no interest in this route until at the very least I see most bugs fixed in patch notes. It’s just a disappointment at the end, especially after keeping up with its development progress.

thought this route was going to be the one that has brand new features because they managed to get the standard stuff done, but no it’s the standard stuff that lacks.

• Like Like x 3
  26. SteveRail

And the blurry wheels. Really hope they give us the 700 and give it the TSW3 treatment, but anyway I digress

27. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Only today did i have a first look at the route and here's my own opinions.

First off... Rivet, you really create some beautiful models; especially actual trains. The 385 is a beautiful bit of modelling and looks pretty spot on personally, however with some real issues that honestly really bother me (more on that).

Also bare in mind this is taken with a proper railway worker mindset & simulation mindset, so expectations on how things *should* correctly operate and function where high; not that i should be expecting anything near that from history! Ultimately i want a quality and realistic products in TSW and hopefully this feedback is taken forward.

Route:
    The route itself seems pretty good, however its not local to me by any means, so cant fault it on accuracy.

However, there sadly is one big issue for me and that is STILL the incorporation of the dispatcher forcing you to close doors on REDs that is SO immersive breaking! Also still includes a combination of the horrid standard signal flares & poor signal sighting on close proximity to a signal, (that makes it near impossible to read the aspect, almost like its washed-out) - again long term issues with most routes that the community have to patch!

Would also of loved to have seen the signalling improvements such as Approach Release, as seen in the Cross City Line.

Neutral sections are a nice addition, however it taking 1 second for the whole process to fully happen (while driving a 8-car 386), doesn't again help with the immersion. Nor have i seen any Neutral Section Warning Boards or Indication Boards (unless im being blind!).

Stations look great, love the small interior details too. Make it much more lively!

Class 385:
    Lets start with the positives and that would be mostly the model - it looks gorgeous (but as we know, looks can be deceiving!). Honestly its really nice and hopefully makes an appearance into TSC at some point.

First off before i get critical about the 387; im mainly basing my views on the experience i have dealing with its sister unit, the Class 80x. Yes there is a lot of similar bits and bobs, however happy to be educated if ive got it wrong, as the 387 isn't a unit I've come to deal with physicaly in my work on the railway!

However there is such weird and odd choices modelled in-game.

Here's my issues and gripes ive found so far:
    • Opening/Closing the cab door from the outside and guards panels with a Master Key? Should be a T-Key!
    • 'Keying-In' with a 'long' Master Key? Visually looks so odd!
    • Guards Panel does not visually show that your key has been inserted and turned half way

• Dimmed' Headlights (i.e. daylight running lights) should be a dimmed version of 'Full' Headlights - not just marker lights (which are still ludicrously bright!)
    • GSM-R Volume Up/Down buttons change the PIS destination - what? Should be in the TMS at least!
    • Would of been nice to see the GSM-R powered on.
    • Contact Signaller mapped to a PA cab phone, not the GSM-R's phone?!
    • Very temperamental Door Interlock buttons - lights are not always on/randomly luminate throughput the journey - should be constantly on until a door is opened.
    • BILs (Orange Lights on side indicating doors unlocked/no interlock) showing incorrectly - ON when a single door is opened (BIL's ON all coaches) and not lit when a cab door/local door is open. All most likely bugs (i hope).
    • Door Release buttons should be lit when doors are open on applicable side
    • Exterior & interior door buttons glowing green, even if doors are locked?
    • Having to un-isolate the TPWS twice!! Cutting it in, then setting the TPWS Temporary Isolation to normal. This should be in normal by default and NOT require user input when setting up the cab. Same issue with the Class 484!
    • TMS issues - especially the DAS, no visual display of you braking when in Minimum to 3/4 steps of braking.
    • No Wheel Slide/Wheel Slip Protection notifications - i drive with the HUD off, cant visually tell if slipping half the time due to poor audio and/or lack of speedo displaying a slip/side.
    • A stiff Power Controller - takes some keyboard key holding to move forward & back.
    • The unit has very poor braking performance, that varies and is not consistent. Seems like there is a random weird mix of dynamic & friction braking occurring?
    • Questionably loud cab audio as if a windows open (if only it had windows) - having the drivers internal cab door halfway opened seems to tone the noise down the the ambient volume found in the saloons though!
    • Audio mixing isn't the best, seems to be speed based traction motor sounds.
    • And just for a bit of fun, theres a Station Announcement included in TMS announcements!? "Fast Train Approaching". Why haha!
    Probably not covered all the bits ive found and most likely will not be a issue to the average player (totally understand that!). But as a simulator & realism heavy gamer, im a sucker for the details which can make or break it for me.

I appreciate that hardly any of this issues will be fixed, but i thought id mention them!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

Edinburgh Waverley has no lighting at night, looks way to dark

• Like Like x 1
  29. meridian#2659

Museum of Scottish Railways:

A bit off topic, but after passing linlithgow direction glawgow i noticed a platform on the map. So i decided to visit the place in tsw, and actually you couldnt access the place since its fenced. So i was looking on maps where its leading, since im not familiar with the area.

Looks this small section of Manuel Station is leading right into a small "railway museum" in bo´ness.
    2-BN.jpg

So i was wondering if Rivet maybe plans to extend this small section with the upcoming "gameplay" dlc.

1-BN.jpg

3-BN.jpg

4-BN.jpg

Especially now where steam got introduced, this section could be used for railtours. Seems a bit misterious, because its 1-2 miles to the place. I guess im thinking too much into that, chances are higher that rivet just didnt even think about using this small track section for this release or a future addon. Just thought about, since there is something steamy on the roadmap from them.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  30. rennekton#1349

They won't add new tracks or trains with their gameplay pack. It's already been explained by dtg numerous times what an enhancement pack is. If it is still confusing, then think diesel legends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. meridian#2659

Of course they wont, it represents Rivets point of view about those things and thinking ahead.

A to B was planned, A to B got delivered. Like dresden chemnitz without the railway museum, but instead dtg included it.

Another major missed opportunity in my opinion, considering the fact a dlc here even as extension would be perfect.

32. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

So I said I'd reserve judgement on route scenery until I'd had the chance to run more services, and now that I have (in a variety of conditions, but plenty in daytime/summer) I have to say I'm impressed.

As with most routes, I spent some time over the weekend with Google Maps to check out the authenticity of things like building placements, etc, outside of the station areas. Personally, if a route doesn't replicate real life locations fully, I'm not bothered - although it does interest me to think about why, etc.

But with this route, so far every place I've looked at (either from overhead satellite imagery or where there are roads next to rails, from the street view) has been faithfully recreated. Of course, not every street sign, lamp post, post box, etc is there and clearly for non-key scenery bespoke models and textures just aren't viable. But street layouts, all the buildings, layouts of fields and villages or industrial units - so far I haven't found anything I'd call "wrong".

One of the things I enjoy about TSW is that it feels a bit like I'm seeing new places, exploring new countries or regions - and so I will say that I'm really happy with the recreation of the Glasgow-Edinburgh part of the world in this route.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

First of all, thanks to all of you for the feedback in here. Very happy about the positive feedback and the folks who enjoy the route, but also happy about the critism - have made a list and forwarded it to the team. I'll go over a few things in detail here.

I understand your point, but we needed to do this was for performance reasons. Building a station as big as Waveryley is super challenging, because it needs to run well in the game - with all the lighting, the trains and what not coming on top.

The sleeper issue is a known problem, have forwarded to the team anyway.

Thanks for flagging - will go back to the devs and see if there's a particular reason for that.

Thanks a lot for leaving positive feedback, much appreciated! :)

Happy to hear that someone did this too, thanks for sharing!

Have forwarded the sound issue to the team, will keep you updated on it.

Where do you have blurry wheels on the 385? I cannot reproduce that issue...

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. SteveRail

The blurry wheels wasn’t related to this route, we went off on a tangent.

• Like Like x 1
  35. RailFan97

RailFan97 Active Member

The TMS needs some attention if it’s going to be used on other routes in the future. Really difficult to control using a console due to how small the buttons are and the performance on my Xbox reduced considerably when I tried using a wireless mouse instead.

Not specific to this route but I don’t think I’ll ever properly enjoy TSW until they’re able to recreate a network with a variety of routes. I’m already bored of driving the same route between Glasgow and Edinburgh and have felt the same with pretty much every other route. I think key to this will be getting more 3rd party devs onboard and finding a way of speeding up the production process.

• Like Like x 1
  36. acro

acro Active Member

Seeing as GSM-R has been turned into the way to control destinations, would it be possible to show the selected destination on the LED so that you don't need to keep switching between Cameras to see what you've switched to?

37. meridian#2659

There are services seems to work as intended, but i got one starting from edinburgh which leaves the map after lilinthgow, there signals were red and turned only green after closing doors.

I discovered the 8 coach formation has wrong stopping points at haymarket both directions.

But scenery & featurewise the route and train looks visually superb, its just the sounds of the 385 ruins the experience. My suggestion: take action and go for a record session + update. Its never too late ;)

Also: plesase have a look into the floating wheelset of the trailer bogies. Just connect it to s inner axlehousing. Right now its causing eye cancer lol.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  38. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

Is this route still set to be released on PlayStation tomorrow?

39. rennekton#1349

Yes

• Like Like x 1
  40. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

my advice is to Manage your expectations!

• Like Like x 1
  41. richardwwoodward

richardwwoodward Active Member

I am so glad I read this thread before release on the PS5. I was cursing the delay last week, but now I'm relieved. I had booked Friday off work and was going to buy it as soon as it was available, but now after the absolute panning it's getting, I'm going to save my money. I really disliked the BCC and 323 (yawn fest), and this looks to be even worse and more buggy. I will carry on with my favourite UK routes for now (London Commuter and Tees Valley) and cross my fingers and toes for a decent (WCML pleeeeaaase!) UK release later this year. To echo the sentiments of so many others, I am so tired of new routes with just one EMU and a few class 66 freight journeys. What DTG did in the past with Tees Valley, Trans Pennine, and London Commuter was great. Now these one train snooze fests seem to be the norm :(

• Like Like x 12
  42. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I kind of think that's a cheeky gimmick, when we've had steam layered into other routes but now we're paying for it. I can only assume it's a complete time table and something a little more but again will the route become a two horse pony

in my mind, just build it in scenario planner (if it's unlocked) run it each way and you've seen what you're paying for

• Like Like x 2
  43. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

You can check the current destination set at the TMS screen in the cab. I was able to fit both the buttons to change the destination and the TMS screen into one image (without having to look around).

44. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

any updates on recording sounds with scotrail? the ones in game pain my ears

• Like Like x 1
  45. rennekton#1349

I don't think they would have an update. It's only been a few days since it released. When it was stated, they didn't sound like it would happen right away. If you're on pc, a sound mod has been confirmed

46. RailFan97

RailFan97 Active Member

That's not possible on Xbox. Certainly not with my default set-up anyway. Very odd decision not to include that on the TMS as it's really inaccurate having that on the GSMR.

• Like Like x 3
  47. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Or if you have a USB keyboard connected to your Console (should have on a PC lol) you can press F7 and F8 to change the destinations.

Hentis

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  48. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

A few people have suggested that already. But 99% of the pathways for Scenario planner are rubbish. I mean look at Edinburgh Glasgow. Straight runs from each termini. You cant start from Eastfield or Haymarket (which is behind an invisible barrier...why??) so no depot runs. Cannot use the passing freight loops. Cannot use the pathways from Dunblane into Polmont. That really needs to be sorted.
    Love the route but it does have limitations.

Hentis

• Like Like x 4
  49. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

Without breaking the route, is a timetable update possible from Rivet?

Glasgow - Alloa trains don’t exist after 2048, in reality there’s a 2152, 2219, 2251 and 2322, is there any reason why these don’t exist?

• Like Like x 2
  50. ivorengine#2527

ivorengine#2527 New Member

Picked up the route yesterday on PS4. Overall, I like the route as it is one I know well from living in the area.
    Not sure if these things have been brought up before, but just my own observations:

- There seems to be a problem with cab view outside lighting / dynamic range - I started off on an early morning timetable so the sun was just coming up. When it was almost light on the outside camera, it still looked like night time from the in-cab view and contrast seemed to be way too strong between light and dark parts of the scenery.

- When I move to the external camera (set as head out window in settings) it remembers the last camera angle that I used rather than going back to the default head out view. This is really annoying if you have moved the camera far from the train and need to quickly go back to head out view, to check a stopping point for example. On all other routes going back to cab view and back out again resets the camera to the starting head out position.

- There wasn't a single passenger on my train despite it being at the peak of the rush hour! Waverley station was completely empty in the middle of rush hour. When I walked round to the boundary near the operations centre building, lots of passengers started to spawning and walking round but none of them went into the main station area. It is just me or does it feel like you are in a zombie film or ghost town sometimes? I know this isn't limited to this route however.

- Somehow there is no sense of speed from the cab view - even when going at 100mph, the scenery seems to crawl past and looks more like 20mph - jump to the external cam the train is flying along. Maybe it's partly due to the limited view from the cab window meaning that you can't see things to the side which have more motion but it just doesn't feel right in the cab.

- AI trains don't seem to be running on schedule - I sat on a train at Waverley in free roam that was supposed to leave at 9.30. The door beeps went off and then the train just sat there and didn't move.

- The crosshair pointer circle is very hard to see in the TMS screen - almost identical colour to the buttons so you can't see it when it is over a button. It's also very fiddly to try and hit a button, some sort of snap-to-button option would be a huge help for console controllers.

- As others have said, being able to automate TMS announcements would be a massive improvement (if you could hear them in the first place that is). I know there are issues with the train sounds - it seems such a waste to have the TMS announcements when you can't even hear them over the train sound.

Other things that I think have already been raised, but just to repeat from my view:

- It snowed on my first run and the track ballast ended up being a kind of grey colour when the rest of the scenery was white - stands out like a sore (ugly) thumb.

- The throttle / brake lever is sticky - press it and nothing happens, then hold it down and it shoots up way too fast so it is very hard to be precise.

- Fair enough if the train brakes are accurately simulated, but it's not pleasant to drive at the moment with almost no braking until you hit around 75% on the lever. Combine this with the sticky lever above and it makes it feel like you don't have great control over the train.

Sorry to add to the list of gripes, but compared to some other routes, these things stand out very clearly and are disappointing when I was really looking forward to the route.

• Like Like x 8