What Is The Main Reason You Got The Routes You Have

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by AtherianKing, Feb 1, 2023.

1. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Thought i would create a thread to see what peoples main reasons were for obtaining each route they have in their collection. Basically what got your attention to get the route the most not primarily why you like now each route.

Only 2 rules;
    1. It can be from any TSW era
    2. Try to keep it to no more than 2 reasons
    My reasons;

TSW1

LIRR - got in a bundle and it was something different

Peninsula Corridor - setting of San Francisco

GWE - it was my first route I got on founders edition, it was the first time I saw a “proper” train sim on Xbox

WSR - at the time I had the means of getting a route and decided that it was a pretty nice looking one.

NTP - I got it in a bundle, but I do enjoy it’s express services and scenery quite a lot

TVL - it’s a relatively local route to me

East Coatsway - I wanted it for a while before i got it, probably the branches/ where it is and a modern U.K. loco was the main points.

Rapid Transit - Second route I ever got, I wanted to try something that would be a change from GWE and it’s unique underground stations stood out.

RSN - got it in a bundle (like the other routes I was building up my collection) I enjoy it to this day for its freight driving opportunities.

MSB - double deckers trains I found interesting (I’m from England and not from the last century so that just not a thing ever)

RRO - thought it was a pretty looking route, once I got it I enjoyed doing freight services with it.

HRR - I think I got this as it was my last Route to get from TSW 1 (building up a collection when I could) I enjoy how it pretty much has 3 major stops with quite the speed with express

Canadian Oakville - Canada new country, something different

NEC - came with a bundle of 2 with Rapid Transit, I enjoyed the ACS-64 and remember it was a go to of mine when I wanted to go on TSW

TSW2

Sand Patch Grade - Free with TSW2, I think the blue of the loco with the sand and yellow/gold CSX loco make it quite “slick” if that’s the word for it.

Clinchfield - Interested by F7

Cane Creek - Scenery

Boston Sprinter - Return of the ACS-64

Sherman Hill - Tough one, but I think it’s that it’s got higher speed limits for what seemed like the first for US freight

Harlem Line - Got it on a good sale and I enjoyed the M7 and M3 from LIRR

Bakerloo - Came with TSW 2, but I do like London Underground

Isle of Wight (older) - Probably the seaside setting combined with building up my route collection

SEHS - Fast services with Class 395

Cathcart - New country of Scotland

London Commuter - maybe the destinations was my reasoning for this one, I’m intrigued by routes that go between 2 major places, end to end.

West Cornwall local - interested by the Class 150

Spirit of steam - Introduced Steam Trains to the Game

Isle of Wight 2022 - probably the ex d stock plus a revisited look to an older route could be interesting.

Koln Aachen - (one of 2 reasons I got TSW2 the other being Preserved collection) High Speed ICE introduction to TSW

Munich Augsburg - more different services for ICE

Hamburg Lübeck - Building up my collection and the route seemed nice.

Nerverkhr Dresden - 1. Dresden HBf (I think the station design is very nice in reality and ended up rather well in game) 2. Branches for multiple different experiences with one route

Tharandter Rampe - 1. I like the Dresden area 2. Thought the 612 would be something different to try out and like.

Luzern Sursee - Switzerland New country (I never went for Arosa)

LGV Mediterrane - France New country and I like high speed so I thought and do enjoy the TGV.

TSW 3

Cajon - Free with TSW3, scenery was quite a stand out and new company

Kassel Würzburg - ICE1 I wanted to see in TSW and the length of the route was and still is the longest

Bremen - think it has a charm to it, despite its size, (reminds me in the snow of like a classic European snowy city video or something) plus 2 new loco’s really which would be the latest iteration to date when I obtained it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I bought most dlc, preserved and new, during tsw2 so I have put them all under tsw2. I have gotten almost all dlc on sale.

Tsw2020: awesome deal
    • Came with lirr, ntp, msb, gwe and spg by default
    • bought nothing more
    Tsw2 (Deluxe edition): came with ska, bkl, spg, ecw, great deal
    • Oakville: fast freight
    • rro: was told it was scenic. Thanks for the recommendation CrazyDash
    • wsr w/33 & 52: recommended by antony.henley
    • diesel legends: br blue
    • BR 101: TSG helped with it. Hrr is one of my favorite routes
    • 313: Good emu, i like ecw
    • hsc: gevo and colorful environment
    • iow 2022: massive upgrade from the original
    • sherman hill: realistic braking physics, sd70ace
    • Tharandter rampe: tilting dmu, scenic (twisty, steep gradients, etc)
    • Rush hour pack: cuz great bundle deal
    • LGV: high speed, complexity of the tgv (power changeover, setting up, optional brake test, using safety systems which are easy to master). Recommended by CrazyDash
    • Clinchfield: f7, challenging
    • peninsula corridor with both dlc: Recommended and influenced strongly by CrazyDash I'm also based in the US. No regrets purchasing this dlc
    • mp36: great diesel loco
    • mp15: adds layers and unique service variety
    • hma: 423, layers
    • ccl: got 2 branch lines, the actual circle, shields depot, service variation and constant stops
    • hbl: 182
    • 363: layer to rsn
    • tvl with 31 and 20 through uk starter edition: great deal, was able to get route and both dlc for less than standard route price.
    • hrr: passenger route as a base (422 & 425), layers (makes it feel busy)
    • rsn: scenic freight route
    • 155: unique driving, braking, setup behavior
    • New journeys pack: mainly for 423 and Joe timetable.
    • arosa & rhb anniversary collection: switzerland, scenic (trackside, bridges, viaducts, etc)
    • sos: first steam route
    • sehs (original): It had both high speed with the 395 and commuter with the 375
    • 465: AP sounds, awesome emu
    • Rapid transit & 182: undergroud sections
    • heavy freight pack: recommended by antony.henley
    • 204: few but additional services to msb. Recommended by antony.henley
    • iow original: wanted a short quick route
    • c40: loco variety
    • cane creek: scenic
    • 187: cuz not a 185 and a sound mod was available to fix the incorrect sounds
    • wcl: 150
    • g6: TSG, what more can I say
    • Luzern-sursee: switzerland
    • Harlem: I'm in the US. Improved versions of the m7 and m3.
    TSW3: standard edition (sehs extended, skw, cjp): bundle savings
    • Bro: 110, lots of layers/services
    • Hdx: received for free
    • Bcc: the 323 is a great emu that has received a lot of love. Thanks Daisy and the dtg employees who have made the route feel great.
    • rhtt only: new freight equipment, seasonal layer to other routes

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  3. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Because I like trains

• Like Like x 12
  4. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

TSW2020 (aka; TSW1) was my first one and I got it because I love trains, have modelled trains since 1975, worked on the railway back in the 80s and wanted to experience the thrill of running trains almost for real again. I was not much interested in the British or Euro trains or the US passenger service trains and mainly ran the CSX freight in NEC. I miss it, but now I have other options ;-)
    I also purchased the Oakville add-on for it as I am Canadian and wanted to run some Canadian trains. Not to mention that CN was always my favourite since I was a kid. My first train set was a CN train! So I had to have Oakville!

Two years later and out comes TSW3. I found out about Livery Designer and being a model railroader I immediately imagined creating my own freelance railway's models in TSW with whatever locos were available to do so. I purchased the US Starter Cajon Pass as once again I have no interest in passenger services or the ugly Euro and Brit trains (no offence meant - I just don't like them to me they all look the same compared to the variety we have here in NA). Livery Designer was frustrating at first but I have mostly figured it out and have enjoyed it thus far. It is more than fun to run my own private trains in TSW!
    Just before Christmas I bought Clinchfield to add some variety in operations from high plains and desert large loco operations to valleys and mountains with older locos and challenging runs. I have enjoyed the route so far but find it very dark at times. It is very scenic and offers a different perspective and variety from CJP. I also bought the Holiday Express for the grandkids to play while visiting.
    Since TSW2020 I have wanted the MP15DC available for Peninsula Corridor, but did not want to purchase a passenger service route. However I finally caved this month and bought it so I could add the MP15 and ended up actually enjoying some of the F40PH2C passenger train operations. I even painted one up for my freelance railway which makes it even more fun even though my freelance does not and has never run passenger services!

So that's where I'm at right now. CJP, Oakville, Clinchfield, Holiday Express, and now Pen Corr w/ the MP15DC.
    I likely won't buy anything else until they come up with some Canadian extensions, alternates, or unique loco DLCs.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I get all routes eventually and the reason is that I like to drive lots of different trains in lots of different places. I can’t actually tell which routes I’m going to like the most until I actually give each one a go, and there aren’t really any particular things that attract me to one route over another. I wouldn’t have predicted that I would like Cajon Pass above most other routes. I thought I would like Arosa more than I do. One thing that does make me play some routes more than others is the interest and quality of the scenery and the train model, specifically the physics and sound, but I will generally buy all routes and most loco DLC too once they appear in a sale.

Then there’s the Runaway Elf thing, which is just a bit of fun.

• Like Like x 4
  6. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'm not going to list every route and the reasons why but I mainly go for British routes as that's what I like. I have the odd US and German routes which come packaged with a Summer update but would never buy a German DLC as I just don't like them. I also picked up the LGV route which is good, especially the change over area. The thing which let's it down is the auto-generated scenery. It was awful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

I have all the routes and DLC because I like to drive a variety of trains depending upon my mood. Some days I want to relax with a long, slow slog across the US doing freight in beautiful scenery and other days I might want to punish myself and test my patience by driving a UK stopping service in an EMU I have never seen or heard of (despite being British). I do prefer the diversity of the German routes though, in particular the high speed freight in the 185 and 182. My favourite route is Nahverkehr Dresden.

My ambition is to one day own a UK route with good freight options and a Class 88 loco dlc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Similar to myself, although Arosa holds a kind of charm for me that it doesn't seem to for other folks. I will tend to buy lines I am familiar with personally, because I enjoy them, such as TVL and NTP, but I also like a bit of diversity, so will also grab ones which offer something different. US freight, commuter routes, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  9. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

TSW2 because of the adverts I saw and a video the Moleman made. I got it for the sole purpose of driving the 72 stock, but I also liked the 377, so I was contemplating whether I should get TSW2020 instead, since that came with the 377. Eventually I found out about the bundle of TSW2 + ECW

Then I bought Great Western Express because of a Moleman video on it (hang on I'm detecting a theme here)

Then I saw a Colonel Failure video on a very strange DMU that had a gearbox. I was like "oooh!" so I went through the DLC and found three possible DLCs: NTP, TVL, and WSR. I checked the store page and WSR didn't actually have a Class 101, so it was now between TVL and NTP. That was a tough choice, but I settled on NTP because I didn't realise back then how much I liked UK freight.

Then I got SEHS because I wanted to do a power changeover (and it was on sale, along with the 465, so I could get both for the price of one route!)

Then I got Rush Hour because 377 and because I had dabbled in PZB and LZB and was like "yay new German route with LOADS of trains."

Then I got Spirit of Steam because the trains have a long nose, and I like trying to judge where the front of the train is when it comes to buffer stops and coupling - also it was my first UK freight route that had nice wagons.

Then I got Kassel-Wurzburg because I'm not that interested in American Freight, and I already had SEHS. This was before the Birmingham pack came out, but it's ok.

Now I want Scotrail eXpress for the announcements and the SDO, but I can't get it yet, so will have to wait :(

• Like Like x 1
  10. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

Price is number one for me. I'm not a train nut so have no real urge to get something immediately. I can wait for sales(except for the one time*).

TSW2 purchased in November 2021, mainly for my familiarity with the underground, but was surprised how much I enjoyed the other two routes. However, I now had quite a strong urge for BR Blue diesel power.
    About a month later, I purchased TSW2020 Digital Deluxe for a steal. I thought I was getting 5 routes. I got 8! Pen, MSB, NTP, LIRR, RSN, Rapid T, GWR and NEC which wouldn't transfer, so I bought the SW1000R to keep it company.

Bought many, but not all, routes and locos in sales and enjoyed them all relative to the price paid. I think Oakville is a great route, but not at full price. London Commuter was the highest price paid at 50% off.

So I picked up TSW3* last year at full price. Well, at a PS Plus(free trial) discount of 45 quid for three and a half routes(had SEHS+485 but not SOS), plus core game, I think it was a bargain. However, I find the US and German routes that came with TSW2 more enjoyable.

Tharandter was half price over Christmas. I saw the stream when this was new and thought it to be just another red DB train that tilts not noticing the diesel aspect. Hence, these days it was 2nd on the list. Great route.
    Clinchfield was top, and that went half price over Christmas too. Looks like a Clint Eastwood movie!
    Sherman Hill wasn't even considered, but at less than half price I picked it up and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

German and US rush hours are likely to be purchased at some time.
    Hamberg and RRO are the other two Germans to get. No rush.
    Tempted by Horseshoe.
    Of the new stuff, Bremen is definitly tops. Love the locos.
    I lived in Birmingham for a while, so that has weight.
    Scottish >50% off at least.

But PS5 here, so no urgency.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FredElliott

After reading some the replies, I must apologise to the OP for the lack of detail in my previous post, it was a bit vague. In the spirit of the other replies, here are my reasons in a bit more detail:

Bakerloo: It was on the disc for TSW2 which I bought cos I like trains
    Class 313: cos I like trains
    Class 20: cos I like trains
    Class 31: cos I like trains
    Class 33: cos I like trains
    Class 52: cos I like trains
    Heavy Freight: cos I like trains
    Cajon: It was on the disc for TSW3 which I bought cos I like trains
    Cathcart: cos I like trains
    CSX840CW: cos I like trains
    DB 101: cos I like trains
    DB 155: cos I like trains
    DB 182: cos I like trains
    DB 187: cos I like trains
    DB 204: cos I like trains
    DB 363: cos I like trains
    DB G6: cos I like trains
    New thing with Dispolok and RHTT that I forgot the name of: cos I like trains
    East Coastway: cos I like trains
    GWR: cos I like trains
    Diesel Legends: cos I like trains
    Rhein Ruhr: cos I like trains
    IOW22: cos I like trains
    IOW: cos I like trains
    1938 stock: cos I like ancient trains
    LGV: cos I like fast trains
    LIRR: cos I like trains
    MP15DC: cos I like trains and switches
    Baby Bullet: cos I like trains
    New Journeys: cos I like trains
    NTP: cos I like trains (but not Manchester)
    WCL: cos I like trains
    RHB Anni: cos I like Christmas trains
    BML: cos I like trains
    SEHS: cos I like trains
    TVL: cos I like trains and Geordies
    WSR: cos I like trains (but not 25mph limits)
    SKW: cos it was on the TSW3 disc that I bought cos I like trains
    Holiday Express: cos I like real sized Christmas trains in a giant's house
    Harlem: cos I like trains
    Luzerne: cos I like trains
    Main Spessart: cos I like trains
    RT: cos I like trains
    Ruhr Sieg Nord: cos I like trains
    Cane Creek: cos I like trains
    Arosa: cos I like trams pretending to be trains
    Clinchfield: cos I like trains
    Munchen-Augsburg: cos I like trains
    Nahverkehr Dresden: cos I like trains
    Boston: cos I like trains
    Sherman Hill: cos I like trains
    Oakville: cos I like trains in the snow
    Rhein Ruhr Osten: cos I like trains
    SPG: Cos it was on the TSW disc that I bought but I don't remember which one that I bought cos I like trains
    Koln-Aachen: cos I like trains
    Peninsula Corridor: cos I like trains
    Hamburg-Lubeck: cos I like trains
    LIRR: cos I like whiny trains

Phew

To summarise, I like trains

• Like Like x 2
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Anything UK - I have all of them
    Bought everything other than SoS and Bakerloo because I like UK trains and I drive them all in game
    SoS - I got this in the bundle with TSW3, very little interest in it, but presume it will layer onto other routes in time as AI so fine by me
    Bakerloo - came with TSW2

Anything I have that is not UK came with either TSW, TSW2020 or TSW2. I haven't bought any non-UK DLC

• Like Like x 3
  13. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

I only came to this with TSW3 on the PlayStation, I have all British routes except for island line, west Somerset and spirit of steam I think, my only interssts are British routes and DMU's really, I have an interest in trains but I'm not a train buff by any stretch. My favourite loco in the game has to be the class 166 I think as steam doesn't particularly interest me other than having a passing interest in the engineering side of it, dmu's were my staple as I grew up in the 80s and I like some EMU's but can take them or leave them

• Like Like x 1
  14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I got TSW when the GWE express came out, not being a fan or American freight routes I wasn't interested in the original release.
    I bought the original NEC as I like USA passenger routes but felt it wasn't long enough.
    I bought WSR as a UK route and I was interested in seeing what a preserved route would be like, also I assumed a steam engine was round the corner (how wrong I was)
    NTP and TVL add-ons as they are BR period routes which are my favourite period
    ECW looked nice
    Bought most of the German routes at the time, couldn't get on with the signalling and the trains weren't that interesting except for the likes of the 101 and 155. I have recently got much more interested in them and will be adding to my German collection as I am learning the signalling and I love the variety on the routes and find even the EMU's are nice to drive.
    Bought LIRR as I wanted a busy USA passenger route but was disappointed.
    Since TSW2 which I bought I have bought all the UK content apart from the diesel legends pack and so far Edinburgh to Glasgow, as my main interest is in UK trains.
    I plan to get some more German routes and also in a sale probably Harlem, Arosa and TGV.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Who would´ve guessed this?

And now for something completely different:

I know it´s kinda written slang, but please enlighten a non-native English speaker/writer/listener when to put "cuz" vs. "cos". American vs. English? Canadian vs. Aussie? Pepsi vs. Coca Cola ... And are there other forms?

16. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Isle of wight 2022: Cheap
    Northern trans-pennine: My local route and good scenery
    LGV mediteranee: Fastest route in the game and fun to drive
    Great western express: HST and the only proper mainline in tsw
    Cathcart circle: nice train and a good variety of services
    Southeastern high speed (tsw2 version): Fastest train in the UK and power change
    Brighton mainline: Part of a bundle
    riesa-dresden: Part of a bundle, fun german trains
    Boston sprinter: Northeast corridor, Part of a bundle
    Koln-Aachen: TSW2 core route, ICE3
    Sand patch grade: TSW2 core route (I don't like american freight)
    Bakerloo Line: TSW2 core route, London underground route
    Haupstrecke rhein rhur: Fun trains, Part of a bundle
    Peninsula corridor: Part of a bundle
    East coastway: Part of a bundle
    Kassel-Wurzburg: TSW3 core route, ICE1
    Southeastern high speed: TSW3 core route
    Cajon pass: TSW3 core route

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Using either one is just pure laziness. Use " because ".

• Like Like x 6
  18. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

Best answer :D succinct

• Like Like x 2
  19. FredElliott

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. FredElliott

In the UK "cuz" is shorthand for "cousin"

• Like Like x 3
  21. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

I'm from the UK and this is news to me!
    I should go outside more often!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

And we´ve now successfully highjacked this sorta "mine´s bigger" thread.
    My apologies to the OP. I´m gonna shut up now.

Go on, go on with it.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

TSW:
    I think I got CSX Heavy Haul and the Great Western at the same time. When GWR came out, the base game went on sale.

Rapid Transit: It was new, so I bought it.

NEC New York: I grew up in Manhattan and took that train all the time as a kid. I used to play baseball on the fields underneath the Randall's Island elevated section.

WSR: It was new, so I bought it.

RSN: First red German trains. Seemed novel at the time.

LIRR: Same reason I purchased NEC. I was hoping/expecting the two routes to be merged at some point.

NTP: It was new, so I bought it.

MSB: More red trains.

TVL: It was new, so I bought it.

Penn Corridor: I like US passenger routes. I like that it's almost a 100% complete real-life route.

RRO: Kinda getting tired of red German trains at this point.

ECW: I like modern trains.

Oakville: I bought it on release and then refunded it because the map didn't accurately depict the actual route. I eventually bought it again on sale.

HRR: Bought it on sale.

TSW2

I wrote some material for the manual, so I got the base routes plus LGV Med, Southeastern Highspeed, Clinchfield, and the first Swiss route through that work.

Rush hour routes: Bought them on release. My grandparents lived in Boston, so I know the route well.

Cane Creek: I have been to the area in real life on a really fun trip. Seeing Arches National Park in person is a bit more interesting than the activities on this route.

Sherman Hill: I bought it on release because it was long and looked interesting.

Cathcart Circle and Hamburg: Bought them on sale. Cathcart is lots of fun.

West Cornwall: I think I had a discount code for this.

Harlem Line: See NEC above. Still eagerly awaiting a New Haven Line add-on, which was my most frequently travelled route as a kid.

Tharandter Rampe: Bought it on sale.

Horseshoe Curve: My kids are big Norfolk Southern fans. Had to buy it for them.

Spirit of Steam: First steam route, had to try it out.

TSW3: Bought the full base game on release.

Cross-City: Bought on release because of the cats at the stations.

Holiday Express: Bought for the kids.

• Like Like x 1
  24. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Don't blame me lol.

Seriously though, I buy all the routes. and in the streams I do sometimes get asked Do you think XXXX route is worth buying or XXX DLC is worth buying. Simply put I would recommend anything that I drive. Even if its hard to get to grips with driving it or running it. Why, because personally its a challenge to me to try and overcome and the fact that I will probably enjoy the hell out of it once I have got to grips with the new DLC. Thing is my reply is I like as to recommending it its upto you if you buy. Its kinda you're paying for it, ask yourself will you be enjoying it if you bought it.

As to why I buy every route?

First Reason I like trains (to coin a phrase)
    Second Reason Because I like to drive new areas.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  25. FredElliott

I charge commission on that you know, come on pay up, I accept Paypal and some major credit cards

26. FredElliott

Word up cuz

27. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I have all the trainset since TWS2020 - the reason I like trains

28. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Only have mainly US DLCs some bought on release, others after a severe discount. Have a handful of UK and German stuff, but only from early bundles.

Main reason I own stuff is for the photo comps, and I don't do much actual running these days (Clinchfield was probably the last route I seriously completed).

• Like Like x 1
  29. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

It's in Shakespeare (Romeo & Juliet) as 'coz' for 'cousin'.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I bought every dlc available for TSW 2020 and TSW2, but since TSW3 was released, I've become much more selective.

I don't like paying full price for one- train routes and I have enough UK and German emus to last me three lifetimes. Real trains I like, plastic go-karts not so much.

So I'm buying on sale and saving my Steam wallet for the American DLC coming this year ( I hope ).

• Like Like x 1
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

TSW 2020
    Tried it out on game pass with
    LIRR GWE and Bahnstrecke Hanau Asschaffenburg Laufach Heigenbrücken Lohr Gemünden am Main Würzburg Main Spessart Bahn Huddersfield line NTP. Of those Long Island Railroad is played more than the German and British modern routes due to how simple the train protection system is
    TSW 2 December 2021 Xbox version
    Got SFS Köln Aachen Sand Patch grade and Bakerloo line
    Afterwards these were sales for TSW 2
    Harlem Line which is an improved version of LIRR that features the same two trains M3 M7 with working positive train control
    Class 313/2 PEP MU family very different from an electro star
    Rush Hour Dresden Boston Brighton offers new trains that were not in the base package
    Bahnstrecke Hagen Finnentrop Siegen Ruhr Sieg Nord ends up giving my German route Dresden with older locomotives including the East German Deutsche Reichsbahn Deutschen Demokratischen Republik Baureihe 250
    New Journeys
    TSW 3 Got deluxe edition on sale followed by Dresden Chemnitz which then changed the route that I got for free from the British Ace Bahnstrecke Bremen Oldenburg by giving it a diesel multiple unit

• Like Like x 1
  32. monstamash#2327

monstamash#2327 Member

ALL North American freight. Why? Because it's the essence of trains. Big, powerful, slow, and with the cargo, we get there when we get there.

• Like Like x 2
  33. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

When I opened the thread I was ready to type down just "Because layers" but the detail in some of the posts really is big.

But honestly I got most DLC because they had been in sale and I want to try them "Someday".

Only Arosaline, Spirit of Steam, TSW3, E2B and Bremen Oldenburg had been day one purchases.

Arosaline - I was so hyped for a narrow gauge line, and it looked very promising.

Spirit of Steam - Steamtrains. Also I thought, just like Rush Hour, this is the first of three routes released over time and I wanted to both play steam trains and support DTG for german and us steam content. Oh well.

TSW3 - Because three routes for the price of one with the new features looked looked like a good deal, and I really wanted to drive the ICE1 and Cajon Pass. Was my first route I ever played on the post-Kuji Train Sim.

E2B - new features looked interesting, and I like the route. Horizon 4 really made me love that area.

Bremen Oldenburg - Because german vintage trains. I am not that much into the N Wagen or the BR110, but the route gives off that old timey feeling of german content I've been looking for since so long.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

just because I like trains
    despite the bugs it is still a great game

• Like Like x 4
  35. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I grew up around trains (My dad worked on the railway from 1975 to 2000) and so the UK Rail network is my love.

The German routes are interesting so purchase some of them when on sale.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

When I read from a train simulator on Playsi for the first time, the Pandemi started. TSW inspired me from the start and was also a great time -eating during this time. Over time, I wanted more and more variety and therefore bought every DLC. Also because of the variety and layer.

There are DLC that I only appreciated with time and those that don't captivate me so much. And of course I love the railway and therefore didn't want to miss anything. I also have the collector gene.

It is also a question of pleasure when I like to play which DLC. All in all, TSW is my favorite and not a certain DLC. I keep it with Queen and mine- I want it all and i want it now! :D

• Like Like x 1
  37. Around the time we was all hyped for the release of the editor I stupidly purchased every dlc available, wanting assets to make my own routes and scenarios.

After the big letdown it's basically been routes that appeal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  38. FredElliott

Verily

39. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

TSW1
    NTP, GWE, MSB, LIRR - TSW2020 bundle

BR heavy fregiht pack - BR blue fan, pack adds more services and scenarios to NTP brings more life to it. One of the best expansion packs in my opinion

WSR - This might have been at a reduced price can't exactly remeber, possibly got it for the 52

TVL - Another BR era route with the 37 being a new loco. 3 car 101, liked what I saw from gameplay of the route.

TSW2 - new game with new routes had bought TSW2020 3 months earlier so made sense to move on to new game, plus all previous routes evntually transferred/

LGV - new country, different systems to learn, fastest and longest route yet (want more french)

SEHS - Highspeed, Uk route with high speed and normal trains, quite long, lots of different services. busy timetable
    Arosa - new country, different rail guage challenging route to drive
    HRR - Wanted DB BR 101, the original rush hour route, two new locos, variety of services had MSB to add layers.
    Rush hour - seemed exciting, what everyone wanted TSW to be, busy routes with lots to see and do.
    Spirit of steam - Steam locos, different era with different rolling stock, new challenge, new way of driving

TSW3 - had a month of gamepass so I thought I'd try before I buy. Was initially impressed looks and feels more like a well finished game than TSW2 (in terms of ,menu and UI). However, have not purcgased due to inability to complete numerous services on GEN 8 console along with poor performance.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If DTG wants to collect market research they do not have to disguise themselves with these accounts. Joking aside, I'll bite.

CSX: Heavy Haul (Sandpatch Grade): I was closely watching the development of TSW from the beginning. It was (and still is) a very novel concept to exist in the world in first-person, with stunning graphics and interactibility not seen in many other train sims, and if seen elsewhere not with graphics more modern than 2005. I bought it when it was on sale just before TSW had its first full multiplatform release with the four included routes (SPG, GWE, RT, NEC) for fear that it would disappear. Alas, it followed that SPG remained.
    Great Western Express/Rapid Transit/Northeast Corridor: I was keen to try out passenger operations in the game so I bought the new TSW bundle.
    West Somerset Railway: It looked pleasant and had the appeal of historic trains. There weren't many options at this early in the game's life.
    Peninsula Corridor: It was the most complete route to date with proper end termini, a mixture of freight and passenger, and excellent quality all around. It just looked great.
    Main Spessart Bahn/LIRR/Northern Trans Pennine: Peninsula Corridor required the purchase of TSW2020 Deluxe edition so I got these additional routes, none of which particularly appealed to me to be honest.
    Ruhr-Sieg Nord: I remembered this route from TSC and liked the appearance of the trees and mountains. It was by far the best looking route since SPG, and came with some interesting rolling stock like the BR 143.
    DB BR 155: At this point I was really digging my teeth in the previously, mostly-overlooked German content and saw that this loco had ravingly positive reviews, so I got it to add some variety. Certainly glad I did.
    Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen: Still in my opinion one of the best German routes, if not overshadowed by later releases. Of course the ICE 3 and high speed was the initial appeal.
    Bakerloo Line: I never much cared about (and still don't) but it was a necessary purchase to acquire SKA.
    Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg: This was Rush Hour before Rush Hour, and without all the problems. The size of the timetable and amount of traffic around München was just staggering at the time and made the route feel very alive. I also remembered this route fondly from TSC and wished to see it in a new light.
    Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr/Rhein-Ruhr Osten: Honestly the routes didn't seem that interesting at first glance. I picked these up in a sale alongside HMA primarily to add layers and variety to the routes I already owned.
    DB BR 182: see above.
    Southeastern High Speed: I wanted to try something with TVM-430, remembered enjoying the route greatly in TSC, and was appalled at the quality of LGV, so I got this on launch. It has remained my most-played (and easily favourite) British route to date. The variety of service options is what makes it so replayable for me (also see SKA).
    DB BR 363: At this point I am completely submerged in my adorement of the German railways and had long wished for some diesel traction, to which Rivet's BR 204 had too many issues to be worth considering. This had extremely positive reviews and made RSN feel more alive and industrial, so it was an easy addition.
    Clinchfield Railroad: vintage U.S. route with an F7? Enough said. DTG knew what they were doing here.
    MP15DC: I bought this on a whim when TheShotte released his CSX MP15DC mod so I could use it on SPG. Unfortunately the mod no longer works properly so I rarely touch it anymore.
    DB BR 101: This was also long on my wishlist. The lack of a cab car initially put me off, but I couldn't resist this work of art masterfully recreated with Maik Goltz's help.
    Dresden-Riesa/Brighton Mainline: these were and continue to be some of the best routes of their respective countries. Obviously not without their issues, but the scenery quality and service variety of DRA and the bustling timetable on BML made these very appealing. To this day I still believe DRA is the single best German route in TSW, even without the Flughafen branch.
    Boston-Providence: Just got it because it was included in the Rush Hour ticket for the above two routes. Still not a fan of it to be honest.
    Cathcart Circle: I wanted to try something Scottish.
    Cane Creek: I had been dying for a desert route in TSW and this delivered it for me. Still looks breathtaking, especially with the TODv4 mod.
    Hauptstrecke Hamburg-Lübeck: bought this for the DB BR 112 again after TheShotte made a mod fixing the appalling modelling of the lights. Once again, since the mod no longer works, I tend to avoid this and the 112.
    Sherman Hill: The first proper U.S. freight route in a long time with much improved physics and something besides an AC4400CW! The sounds were pretty decent too.
    BR Heavy Freight Pack: I think I bought this in a sale for very cheap to add variety to NTP.
    MP36PH-3C: see above.
    Oakville Subdivision: This route was a disappointment to me but for $3 I couldn't pass it up.
    East Coastway: see above, though this one is less disappointing as it is boring. It was showing way too much age by the time I acquired it.
    Tees Valley Line: I think I bought this to try out the Class 37. Never really played it. See above for age.
    CSX C40-8W: I bought this expressly for the purpose of repainting and using it on other routes than SPG, as well as the appeal of the analogue dashboard.
    Dresden-Chemnitz: Beautiful hilly route with the first German DMU. Not to mention it tilts! This was easy to justify after enjoying DRA so much.
    Spirit of Steam: It has steam trains. Enough said.
    Class 33/Class 52/DB BR 204: Bought these together in a summer sale to fill in the empty spaces in my library to allow me to play more Creators' Club scenarios. The 33 and 52 are criminally underused in this game.
    Cajon Pass: This is a full end-to-end, quite long, BNSF themed freight route with stunning visuals in TSW3's new lighting and lots of Scenario Planner potential. Though it's not quite SPG levels of scenery, it feels a lot less pointless when driving from place to place, whereas in SPG I scratch my head at Rockwood being the destination.
    Schnellfahrstrecke Kassel-Würzburg: Actually the first German route in a long time that I had very little interest in simply because of the constant tunnels and lack of service variety (the latter typically being the strong suit of the German routes). But I wanted the ICE 1 and it didn't cost much more to buy this in a bundle with Cajon, so.
    The Holiday Express: It's jolly, festive, novel for TSW, and most importantly was only €8.

So there's my entire TSW purchase history in chronological order, of course excluding things which I refunded for being offensively broken--even for someone more tolerant of TSW's quirks than most.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  41. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

I bought add-ons for tsw2020, tsw2 and 3 because they don't work with any of the other games I've got :)

• Like Like x 1
  42. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I used to buy everything, because I like trains, but that ended recently and now I'm pretty much only buying German Routes.

Main reason for this is because of DTG's ridiculous pricing policy for foreign currencies in Steam making the DLCs far more expensive than the equivalent UK price and I don't think they are worth it anymore. So I switched to XBOX and now only buy the German Routes because you get far more opportunities for layers but also because I live just over the border so I go to Germany a lot and get to travel on the trains in the sim. I'll pick up any UK Routes I like in sales (not that we get many on XBOX)

• Like Like x 1
  43. Callum B.

Do you live in Switzerland?

Cheers

44. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Yes.

45. Xemik

Xemik New Member

Not nearly as annoying as the use of 'as' instead of the correct word 'because'. ;)

However, back on topic...

My reasons for buying the routes and locos are that I'm a completionist and that they are on offer with at least 50% off. So it's really frustrating to see all those juicy 'Friday Festival' discounts that are not available to me on the PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Callum B.

You must be from the 18th century to be bothered by the use of 'as' as a causal conjuction. I suppose you also take issue with 'since'? They're both established causal conjuctions in English, and any resistance to their usage for fear of confusion is more of a condemnation of your reading comprehension than a criticism of an author's writing.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  47. RedTiger SA92

RedTiger SA92 Member

Got TSW2 rush hour edition on a sale last year which was my first experience with this genre. So this includes the standard (Schnellfahrstrecke K-A, Bakerloo line and Sand Patch Grade) together with al three rush hour packs (Nahverkehr Dresden, London Commuter and Boston Sprinter). Reason: Good deal, good starter pack with lots of stuff.

The only one I bought besides this was the DLC of Tharandter rampe on a sale. Reason: It was a good sale and good amount of german trains.

Nahverkehr and Tharandter are my favourites. Didn't buy more because I'm still enjoying this 7 routes and the upgrade tot TSW3 seems more like a downgrade for a while so I will wait (maybe till TSW4 lol). Maybe I will buy an old TSW2 route if there's one on sale which I probably like.

• Like Like x 1
  48. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

I get annoyed at some of the routes that aren't available on the consoles but are on PC.

49. Callum B.

Such as...?

Cheers

50. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Every platform gets the same content. If you're on a ps5, you can't have more than 64gb of dlc. If you're on ps4, only 50 items. Pc and xbox don't have such restrictions