Out Now Scotrail Express: Edinburgh - Glasgow Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 26, 2023.

1. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

completely agree with you on those points

• Like Like x 2
  2. adamski#9148

adamski#9148 New Member

I like the route. Yes there are bugs but nothing to stop you enjoying it. The train looks amazing, the scenery seems very well done and I think it may become one of my favourites.
    If the bugs get fixed all the better but I think credit where credit is due, Rivet have given us a lovely route.

3. rpb1966

rpb1966 Well-Known Member

Yes I like the route, the 385 sounds like its gonna take off, the 314 is so much quieter, the audio sounds from the cab really need to be looked at, but then I have been saying that about the Class 31, and that's never been fixed. How long has the class 31 been out?.

4. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s a nice route. When I got it I I noticed cathcart circle was 60% off so I got them both

• Like Like x 1
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

THIS, very exact topic for me is the buy or nobuy for the next rivet route / content.

• Like Like x 1
  6. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I see people discussing this issue like it's the end of the world. Obviously it needs to be fixed, but there are sooo many other more important things that need to be fixed. I don't really care about this one to be honest, I find that I rarely stop at stations with a red on any route.

7. meridian#2659

TSW is advertised as "freedome and progress" of train simulation, so this scripted signalling makes just the impession somebody with no clue how railway signalling is working, was ductaping this together with a few youtube videos. Its discussed over and over again connected to Rivets routes yes, and no its not the end of the world, but with an immersion braker like that i can spend my time somewhere else.

Rivets is currently worldbeater in ignoring the entire past mistakes / *hitstorms, and discussed things about sounds with DTG topics. They even manage to put a huge effort in replicate the mistakes over and over again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Played it for the first time yesterday and enjoyed it. Sure it's not perfect but it's a perfectly reasonable representation of the route.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else notice a ‘static’ noise on this route/385 when running at speed?

10. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

If they're not sure me how many carriages I got It does not show me how to open the doors on the new Glasgow route And this is under PS5

Attached Files:

11. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

Please update it to what it should be.
    Some Swiss routes don't even have traffic lights.
    I'm paying a high price to fix this
    I expect

• Like Like x 1
  12. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

So the TMS is horrendous. I only use it to switch on saloon lights and even that is a struggle on my PS5 Controller. Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen street are so empty and quiet it is breaking the immersion for me. The 385 is...fine,Just that. It's fine. Haymarket Depot shouldn't be empty,just stick some wagons or carriages in there, Something. The route itself though is pretty decent and I'm having more fun with the scenarios created by other users than the one created by the staff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The 385 is a mess - sound mixing is shoddy at best. I get that they couldn’t source real sounds, but they could of at least implemented what they had in a decent manner, you get no immersion from driving the train because of the sound set & also the CPBC has been setup atrociously.

Don’t get me started on the TMS & GSMR implementation - Rivet went fully rogue with the 385.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. mmx95

mmx95 New Member

This DLC is really awesome, good job and many thanks!
    Please note to fix:
    While playing this route with the evening scenario, I discovered a problem with the lighting of Edinburgh station, where it is completely dark.

15. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

We're aware of the sounds and trying to do the best we can with it. On the CPBC, that is fixed in the upcoming update.

Actually, I would like to get you started on the TMS & GSMR. There is no GMSR (which is the problem I assume, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but what's wrong with the TMSR?

Hey, thanks for feedback, happy to hear you're enjoying it! :) We're aware of this issue, have pinged our devs about it. Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  16. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Rivet, please install an external maneuvering camera for the view from the cabin window! You did it already at 150/2.

18. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

We look forward to seeing Rivette get serious about fixing it.

19. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

:D

The GSMR should be the GSMR display (which I think you know) - there is some argument to be made for the destination display to be linked to the GSMR, but it’s a convoluted & abit of a reach of an argument.

I noticed you said in the preview that you didn’t have anywhere else to put the PIS system, but you do! It’s the TMS! Despite what you’ve commented a few days ago, you cannot actually see the TMS & GSMR display at the same time.

Also, the TMS overall is abit of a UX nightmare, have you guys tried to use it with a controller? A related issue is how on earth can I tell what I’ve pressed on that screen? There are checkboxes that don’t check, I assume they are supposed to highlight when you select something, but half the time it does and then it doesn’t. I’m talking about the announcements list, then the options for the announcements. This issue is compounded by the fact that the analog navigation gives you a 50/50 chance of pressing what you wanted.

I would really like to see anyone from Rivet or DTG to use the TMS on a console, and correctly operate it throughout a service - it is a truly frustrating experience.

TLDR: GSMR should either be the GSMR or nothing.

The TMS is practically useless on console as half the time you cannot press anything, and then when you do press something you can’t actually see if you pressed it or not.

PIS selection needs to be on the TMS so we can actually see what we’re setting the PIS to.

• Like Like x 2
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

21. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

When it's raining, passengers don't have an umbrella?

22. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I have seen the comments concerning red signals at the end of platforms until you close the doors and have experienced it myself. Today I ran service 1R22 Glascow to Edinburgh and did not have a single one. Have not seen any sneaky updates come through. This was an 8 car train and Rivet needs to readjust the stopping point at Haymarket because its set for 4 car trains, so half my formation was hanging off the platform while there was plenty of platform in for of me the properly stop the train.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Hey, please please please note down the service number, that way we can actually fix it.

Yep, we're aware of that. Its a bit of a problem with things that are not in core yet (or weren't when we started developing Edinburgh - Glasgow) that not everyone is up on speed about what features there are. Not an excuse or something like it, but may explain why we haven't done the GSMR.

The TMS is what it is in real life - it's true, it's a bit more challenging with the controller. But - what exactly should we consider changing? And even then, I can already hear folks moaning about it not beeing close to real-life (which it is - except for the announcements screen).
    Try zooming in, that should help a lot (you probably have done that, but just in case)!

Oh and btw, you can definitely see both the up/down buttons and the TMS at the same time, see the screenshot attached.

Happy to hear that, but as I said before, please note down the service number if you face these issues.
    And the stopping marker at Haymarket should be fixed with the upcoming update.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Now click on those buttons with the centre dot of a console controller and see if you can see the screen as you do it. Most players of TSW are console players and this must be remembered at every step of development.

• Like Like x 3
  25. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

You have completely brushed over the fact that I’m talking about console issues, you know that small group of players who buy TSW content.

That screenshot is meaningless to over half your userbase.

26. marcsharp2

I do roll my eyes every time there's a livestream for an upcoming DLC and it's mentioned they are using the PC version they are using as you just know there will be issues with the console version.

• Like Like x 3
  27. marcsharp2

I don't use the TMS except for switching on carriage lights and even that is a struggle with my PS5 Controller so for me at the moment, I just ignore it and I can't see me using for the announcements either. Sorry. The route itself though is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Sharon E

Just ran another service, 1R17, again an 8 car formation and did not have any issues with red lights at stations. Green signals entire run. This is an Edinburgh to Glascow run that stops at different stations than 1R22 that I ran yesterday. I seems to recall that when I did get these red signals which would change to green when the doors were closed, were all 4 car formations. Will continue to explore this issue and run a 4 car train next.
    Service 1R32, a 4 car formation running east bound. Again, no issues with the red signals at intermediate stations. Did have a problem with the AI dispatcher at the beginning of the run. Signal CQ36 held me at the platform in Glascow for an AI train coming west which would cross my path right at the tunnel entrance. Problem is, that AI train is east of the depot at the point that I am ready to depart and my train would easily be clear of its path long before it even entered the tunnel.

Since I have now run 3 services, 2 8 car and 1 4 car, without encountering this problem with the red signals, would say Jasper is correct in needing the service number of the trains that have this issue since its not universal.

Jasper, has your team addressed this issue of the incorrect speed limit on the viaduct which is 8.3 miles west of Haymarket. The speed limit sign either side of this viaduct is a dual with 80 mph for most trains but has a second sign which states MU 90. Since these trains are EMUs, the limit here should be 90 mph.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

It’s only the Dunblane and Alloa services that have the red signal issue, not to dispatch beyond the next instruction.

Try one of those :)

The 1Rxx don’t have this issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Obviously mouse support on consoles could probably alleviate some folks TMS issues but I am not privy to what that would entail.
    Does anyone know why mouse support isn't possible or mentioned much for consoles? Really just curious tbh

31. Sharon E

Going with what Shaun123 says above, I ran service 2N57 and 2P25 to see what happens. Well on both, the signal at the end of the station platform, including the originating station, are interlocked with the train doors and will not turn green until they close. So, Jasper, it looks like all 2Nxx and 2Pxx services are plagued with this problem.

32. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

• Like Like x 5
  33. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

Any update on when the Rivet patch will be ready? Thanks

34. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Not that I know of

35. Jeannot41

Never

36. jimbore#1486

jimbore#1486 New Member

jepense que c est prévu la semaine des 4 Jeudi de quelle année on n en sais pas plus :)

37. Jeannot41

Or à la saint glinglin, as we say back home

38. meridian#2659

Now after the update i have to say, worth a buy 100%. For PC users i recommend the sound mod & Enhancement Pack.

39. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The said Enhancement Pack for the route can be found here :)

• Like Like x 3
  40. chiefbeef#7841

chiefbeef#7841 New Member

Im on PS5 and the even full headlights don't shine brightly. Hard to see at night

41. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I expected Rivet to add maneuvering cameras (view from the cockpit window). But that didn't happen and I'm very upset.

42. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

Doesn’t matter of how bright the headlight's are the point of headlights are for direction of travel, safety and easier to spot

43. chiefbeef#7841

chiefbeef#7841 New Member

So you’re saying it’s not used to be able to see in front of you too?

44. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Some modern headlights use leds which are brighter and I guess it lights up some area in front of it and you could read signs in the distance. But it's not meant to be for better visibility for you as the driver or to see miles ahead. It's for other drivers to see that there is a train. On the other hand, American headlights are really bright due to regulations and stuff

45. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

In the UK headlights are like candles compared to American headlights. Which are as bright as a stadium floodlight.

One reason might be that they maintain the tracks in the UK and Europe more than they do in the US. Therefore they need to be able to see more.

46. solicitr

That's a bit of a slander, I think. Say rather that US lines are for the most part unfenced, there is an appreciable risk of livestock or wildlife collisions, and in some areas rockslides are not uncommon, not to mention treefall. The US is a big, wild continent compared to small and long-settled Europe.

• Like Like x 2
  47. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

Think the biggest issue with the headlights in the game is that if you position an outside camera at the front window the track infront is lit up for a short distance that would be visible from the cab but when you look from the cab it’s not.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That's very simplistic. I'm sure that the quality of track varies on both continents.
    Consider that the United States alone has over 160,000 miles of track, Canada has over 30,000, while Europe has about 125,000 miles.

And American track is owned and maintained by scores of private companies, not the well- funded government entities that control the track in the UK and Germany.

49. solicitr

US track is also on average built from much sturdier rail; mainlines are 132 lb/yd (65 kg/m) or heavier

50. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Look at the amount of derails and accidents in the US and Canada compared to The UK and Europe.

3 times the amount. Sorry but North American rail is not known for their great safety. How many small towns have been completely blown up due to a derail. We have had at least 2 in Canada in the last 20 years.

In Alberta we have already had 16 derails just this year. Only one was major.

All the major freight line in Canada and the US have been on a major cost cutting phase. And maintenance is the one area they have cut costs the most. It has been a major issue for the last few years out here as neglectic track is now cause more derails than ever.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023