Still Experiencing Issues With Pathing And Red Lights?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DTG Alex, Feb 20, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Hello everyone,

Today we are shipping a patch of improvements heading your way, and one of the key improvements we have made is to improve pathing and behaviors of AI to prevent red light issues across all routes in the game. Below is the referenced patchnote:
    • Series of AI pathing and behaviour improvements to reduce red light issues among all routes.

If you are still experiencing issues after installing this update with pathing, AI behaviors or red light issues, please refer to the information below.
    The patch should be live from 11am UTC onwards, please check your systems for updates after this time.

Please submit a support ticket for each report. The more specifics you can provide, the better. In particular, we are looking for the following information:
    • Route Name
    • Loco Name
    • Scenario/Service Name + Start Time
    • Location of the red signal, preventing the player from moving. (in relation to local landmarks/station. If you can get the signal number as well, even better).
    • Time - How far into the scenario/service are you? (Use the in-game clock and objectives for reference)
    • A Complete list of the add-ons you currently have installed.
    • Bonus Points: Videos and screenshots can be extremely useful. Remember to leave the HUD on and capture the entire screen. Preferable with built-in screen capture rather than hand-held phone footage.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  2. lordbean

lordbean Member

Spirit of Steam Preston - London Euston 08:16 - Service Failure - Signal Passed at Danger (same location as previous patch, first station down the line. Train not moving.)

Spirit of Steam Chester - Liverpool Lime Street 13:58 - Service Failure (no reason) - Around 4 stations in, pulling out of station on 0.7 mile hop to next. Train well below speed limit between two green aspects.

Spirit of Steam - Liverpool Lime Street - Chester 15:28 - Timetable Run Soft-Lockup - First red out of Liverpool Lime Street platform never goes green. All aspects between Liverpool Lime Street and Edge Hill read Red, map indicates no AI trains moving in the vicinity.

It's worth noting at this point that these problems are all identical to failures I've experienced before the patch was deployed. I'm sure I have the latest version - I turned on my computer at approximately 0800 ESTD (1200 UTC) and Steam downloaded a roughly 830MB update for TSW3.

In the hopes that the observation might help, I'd also like to mention that prior to the physics update patch for SoS, I was able to play any timetable run I pleased within the content and complete it (albeit while struggling to stay on schedule). The raft of issues that have appeared within SoS originally began immediately after the physics patch on my end. Is it possible the AI driver parameters were not updated to handle the new steam engine physics?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Physbeam

Physbeam New Member

I tried the 9:38 am #705 from Boston to Readville (on Boston Sprinter) and encountered what seemed like a spurious 45 mph signal reduction a few miles south of Back Bay station. The 705 service starts off following other traffic, but the train ahead quickly gains some distance and was multiple blocks ahead at the point I encountered the speed reduction. This was also well before (~5 miles) the track change for Readville, which does seem to be signalized properly.

The timetable appears to assume you can go up to 90 between Back Bay and Readville, going off how late I was. It almost seems like the 45 mph aspect was left over from the earlier train passing through and never changed back to clear. I don't know; maybe I'm missing some operational nuance here. I'm not an expert.

I don't know if Boston has seasonable timetable variations, but this was on February 20th in-game. I'm on the latest patch and Boston has the new lighting system (which looks very nice!).

4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

The 1148 Marsden to Leeds on NTP still gets held at a red signal at Huddersfield. PS4.

5. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Dresden Class 143 Tutorial still broken

• Like Like x 5
  6. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner Member

Boston Sprinter after update this morning, I still haven't been able to find a timetable service that doesn't start on an endless Red Signal. Trying to do an MBTA cab car run. I've tried 6:42 and 7:48 put of Stoughton and have the home signal leaving Stoughton stuck on red. 7:11 out of Providence and 8:05 out of Readville same thing. Checked the "9" key map and there's no AI anywhere to be found, and all signals everywhere show red for my direction of travel. On one I did find an AI train miles and miles away running opposite direction in motion but after about a minute it got stuck at a red signal for no reason too.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner Member

I've tried several other timetable services now, in both directions, and with both MBTA or the ACS-64. All signals on the route appear to be stuck on red. Leaving Boston it looks like AI trains are all stuck as well.

For the record this on PC (Steam) as I saw from another thread it looks like at least someone on Xbox was able to drive a train somewhere.

• Like Like x 3
  8. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

The update seems to have resolved most of the problems with trains stuck midway and red lights. I did a test on the last service of the "Fast Track" chapter (RE50 Leipzig - Dresden) in Nahverkehr Dresden, and the train that always stopped in the vicinity of Dresden Mitte is no longer stopped, now allowing you to complete the once endless service from the beginning. Rush Hour launch.

Another very problematic line with trains stuck in the middle of the way was Harlem Line, the service "610 Southeast to GCT" was impossible to complete for that reason, finally it was solved. Let's see if I can now complete the entire journey mode of this line!

Another finally normalized service was in Schnellfahrstrecke Köln, in the journey mode of "New Journeys", chapter "It's a plane...", in the service S19 Au(Sieg) there was a train stuck at Sindorf station. Some time ago this service also had a strange bug where the first car (cab) and half of the second car were missing, and the game started from what would be the 5th car, cab of the train attached to the back

Now a point that really needs DTG's attention is the red square on the Rapid Transid trains (BR182 and Silver Talent 2) that even with loose brakes and closed doors does not allow you to accelerate the train. This failure also happens on the BR442 Talent 2 from Köln departing from Aachen towards Köln / Siegen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I will be trying the problematic 1M03 London Commuter service (the first chapter journey run from Brighton to London Victoria) which always failed due to an AI SPAD at Victoria, resulting in a hilarious, but frustrating mile-long traffic jam into London. Hoping the update has resolved this one finally.

EDIT: Happy to report this is now working flawlessly on PS4! :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  10. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

The Cold as Ice scenario for Boston - Providence has issues with red lights, spent over 2 hours trying to complete the scenario only to get stuck at a red light outside of Boston south station unable to do anything at all because of 3 trains having left the station and stopped blocking access to the platform the player requires. This is after the 20/2/2023 update patch as well for the route. I was running with the safety systems switched on.

• Like Like x 3
  11. after testing out the issues u guys have said about the 6:42 and 7:48 services on boston sprinter there is no red for me its clear u must be on console or something else then PC Steam witch i play and livestream TSW3 on so its all fine for me i done all the testing with it to see if there was a issue and nothing came up clear so when posting folks do state the device u playing TSW3 on so they can look into it better and we also know what to look out for

12. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner Member

I'm on Steam as well. As I've discovered and mentioned in other threads it appears all signals on the entire route are red all the time (looking at the 2D map). AI trains can be seen getting stuck as well. This is on every scenario with all trains I've tried. A few other people are reporting the same thing in other threads but its not affecting everyone oddly enough.

13. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

Im on PC Steam and im still getting stuck Trunk Service on RSN. 20230221070944_1.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  14. well u need to understand the light system on it the reds u seeing are not the main lights watch my you tube run from it today it works 100% fine

15. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

Related to, but not regarding red light issues... the overall performance of TSW3 on PS5 seems to have improved with this patch.

16. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thanks for those who have flagged some fixed services - that’s great to hear!

Just for those reporting Spirit of Steam SPADs, these are a separate issue we’re working on related to AI trains interacting with the turntable.

The Boston red lights sound bizarre though Joe Wagner - tagging in DTG-Chris to get some more info.

• Like Like x 3
  17. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

Hi Joe Wagner ,

Have you ever installed mods, and have you tried verifying your game files with Steam? If you have used mods before, you may need to complete a clean reinstallation of the entire game to ensure that there are no remaining files or folders causing problems.

To confirm, I'm not seeing a problem with either services mentioned, which could mean there is something wrong with your installation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Sounds like a lot of this is just dispatcher stuff. Signals can't do anything if the dispatcher gets hosed.

19. bennycdn#2314

bennycdn#2314 New Member

Same signal problems on Boston here,I did contact dispatch and that didn't help.

20. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner Member

I tried validating my install through Steam and all files Validated. I have a couple mods but none pertaining to Boston Sprinter, only other routes (and then mostly sound mods I think). I've attempted somewhere around 8 different timetable scenarios starting from 4 different start points and I've gotten stuck with reds on all of them. The 2D map shows what appears to be the entire route on nothing but reds as well. I've seen AI trains stopped at them sometimes in person (Boston) and on the 2D map other times.

Every time I contact the dispatcher, nothing at all happens. I get no message to either "wait", or "permission past the stop signal", no response at all. That's why I think this may be a dispatcher issue as Brandon mentioned above, since in the past contacting the dispatcher at a red signal would at least get me a "Denied...wait" response.

I'm going to attempt to remove and reinstall Boston Sprinter through Steam next.

• Like Like x 2
  21. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

Joe Wagner

If you have been using mods, you will need to complete a clean reinstallation of the game to ensure that it works as intended. We cannot overlook the introduction of any foreign files in the game installation, so you will need to use the linked guide to uninstall the game, followed by deleting any remaining files or folders from the installation folder.

22. CajonPass2022

CajonPass2022 Active Member

• Like Like x 5
  23. BeastyBill88

DTG JD DTG-Chris In the February roadmap (and in several streams mentioned by DTG Matt) that the GWE service 1P16 had been fixed in the latest update/improvements for the redlight issues for TSW3, as of 22/2/2023 the problem still exists, I am using a mod for longer station lighting (which does enable snow again on the route (that also needs officially fixing)) but that should not have affected the dispatcher or trains in anyway. Anyway I'm still getting stuck at signal SN28 with the train stuck and not moving in front meaning I can't complete the timetable.

EDIT: Just tried 1P16 again with no mods installed and re-verified my steam files and the problem is still there, the stuck train is there from the moment you start the run. Please can you confirm this was part of the latest update or not (20/2/2023), thanks :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  24. DTG JD

Thank you for letting us know. I’ve raised, as I’m pretty sure that we expected this to be fixed with this update.

• Like Like x 1
  25. tcmikaelsouza

In addition, two more services at Southeastern High Speed that were corrected and I was able to complete them, 1J07 (4th service of the "Olympian" chapter), there was a train stuck near Ebbsfleet Domestic, another service was 9Z21, with the TGV Duplex, that it was not possible to complete because a Javelin entered the platform that you should follow.

26. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

Environment PC (steam).
    Timetable mode at around 16:15 in the evening leaving Boston garage in CAB.
    The worst situation is at the first junction after departure, when another train is over the limit and goes under, bumping into the train at the stop.
    Then, at the junction with the main line just before the station, an endless red light prevents you from entering the platform!

27. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

As I recently posted elsewhere, MBTA cab car service #904 has a red signal at 2164 before Route 128 and again just before Ruggles, almost certainly due to the dispatch beyond problems that this route has faced since it first launched. I hate dispatch beyond. With the new signals, the slowdowns are even more annoying. Are you accepting volunteers to go through the timetable and fix this? If so, I offer my services, although I cannot lay claim to any particular skill as far as this goes. However, I do have a passion for ridding the world, or at least NEC-BP, of dispatch beyond, forever. Then we can have both fixed signals AND a semi-working timetable!

28. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

• NY-Trenton
    • ACS-64/Metroliner Cab Car
    • 643 Penn Station - Harrisburg -- finished service and got on first Amtrak in Trenton back to Penn Station as a passenger.
    • My train got stuck in the East River tunnel behind a long line of trains entering the yard
    • I finished my service and noted my stuck train at around 11:30am (I was in a work meeting so I don't know how long it was waiting)
    • All except the most recent Scottish and German routes.
    • Bonus Points: I saved the game and resumed. I still have the saved game if it would be helpful to reproduce

29. ElectrixMetro

ElectrixMetro New Member

+ Adding as well. I've spent 5hrs total on this scenario retrying it each time. I've done it with safety and without. I submitted a ticket just now. For some reason on your return trip to South Station there's a northbound service that is running slow and doesn't allow you to keep up with the timetable. There are additional trains stuck at South Station as well, so there are some path issues with trains trying to leave South Station but being unable to. Here are some screenshots of the chaos at South Station. Hopefully, a fix can be found as this is breaking the scenario.

upload_2023-2-22_21-4-35.jpeg
    upload_2023-2-22_21-5-2.jpeg
    upload_2023-2-22_21-5-10.jpeg

Update: I went as far as un-installing and re-installing the game and no budge. 100% completely broken.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  30. adlian_cc203

adlian_cc203 Member

I have a problem with Amtrak Northeast Regional 86 from Providence to Boston (on PS4). I don't know what caused it but it might be related to pathing.
    At first, I took over the service on foot at Providence after finishing a service from Boston. Before Canton Junction, I encountered Clear 150 -> Clear 125 -> Cab Speed 80 -> Limited 45 -> Approach 30 -> Restrict 20 signal progression due to signal 2164 showing Stop and Proceed. I checked the map that no train is occupying the block in front of me at Route 128.
    Train Sim World 3_20230222205841.jpg

After stopping at Route 128 and finishing passenger load/unloading, the Cab Signal was then upgraded to Clear 150. So probably what caused this was the signal after the station stayed at "red" due to "dispatch beyond" if I'm not mistaken. Train Sim World 3_20230222210342.jpg

So out of curiosity, I tried the service once again from the timetable menu to see whether the problem happened as well. This time, I encountered the same signal progression but signal 2164 showed "Approach" instead, so I can go up to Route 128 at a slightly higher speed compared to the previous occurrence.
    Train Sim World 3_20230223061305.jpg

Then the signal was upgraded to Clear 150 after finish load/unloading the passenger.
    Train Sim World 3_20230223061657.jpg

So there are two problems here:
    1. The ghost "red" at signal 2164, and
    2. Problem with "red" signal beyond Route 128 limiting the speed going into Route 128 from Canton Junction. Is this intended? Well, at least this prevents me from overshooting Route 128 as I did coming from Boston. But somehow realistically it is strange that a "virtual red" signal is set at Route 128 considering there are no home signal protecting the block to Boston, only a code change point.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Gianluca

Gianluca Active Member

Platform: PS4
    Route: Southeastern high speed
    Service name and start time: 1C42 St. Pancras int - St. Pancras int. Starting at 18:16
    Type of problem: Red signal outside Ebbsfleet int (AF 124) contacting signaller lot of times but still red and this prevent the continuation of service whit class 395

Attached Files:

32. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

I think the pics speak for themselves. Was it supposed to be possible? I did work though, I could finish the timetable journey. Will this happen after the patch?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  33. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

Service 617 on Harlem Line guides me onto the wrong track at Great White Plains, therefore it is not completable. Prior to the patch, I was getting stuck behind trains well before the final station. This is now no longer happening, but the objective marker for the stop in on Track 3, while my train ends up on Track 1. There is no opportunity to reverse or go forward.

Edit: I‘m on PS5

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  34. sukihersch

sukihersch Member

How can I tell if I have the update? I'm on XBox, TSW2, "Version 1.0.11306.0"

35. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Certain Amtrak services still seem to get red lights right in front of Route 128 on Boston Sprinter.

This service is Amtrak Northeast Regional #86 (Providence - Boston). Arriving from south, ATC started slowing me down then I came up to the usual signal that does this at Route 128. Of course, track is totally clear, there is nothing in the way. Contacting the dispatcher allowed me to continue and finish the service, fortunatelly. But why are trains getting stopped here for no reason?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  36. NateDogg7a

This is a well-known stopping point for dispatch beyond.

37. Dinosbacsi

But even if dispatch beyond is not ticked on for this stop, how comes the train doesn't get clearance into the station? Even with dispatch beyond off, the red light should be after the station, not before it?

38. NateDogg7a

The route "beyond" the station is not cleared, but because of dispatch beyond there is no actual signal associated with this, i.e. there is no physical signal that controls "beyond." The way the game deals with this is to show the restricting signal at 2164. You can get permission from the dispatcher to pass this signal at restricted speed and make your station stop. However, if you instead proceed past the station without stopping, you will SPAD at the next signal because your train will now be off-path, because you are not dispatched beyond the station stop.

39. msuspartan#9208

msuspartan#9208 New Member

I am running TSW3 on Steam and I am getting the same issue at the very end with all the trains at red lights and no movement. I did not contact signaler to proceed through any red lights. The previous try, I had with the same result of the jam up at Boston.

I'm in the same situation as shown in this image:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  40. dansl

dansl New Member

Still have the blocked line issue on Kassel 50000 route as extensively reported on the service tickets a couple of months ago. Exactly the same issue.

This is on steam in the Journey and timetable, however, if you walk from the station and take over the train before it starts you can complete the run but it does not show on the timetable as completed nor does this allow me to move onto the next "journey"

• Like Like x 2
  41. BeastyBill88

Hi DTG JD sorry for the tag again, just wanted to update on the GWE 1P16 service, it can be completed with no issues IF you spawn on foot and takeover the service at Reading at 07:46, there is no train blocking the path into Paddington when doing it this way. I then tried spawning directly into the service from the timetable menu and the blocking train is there from the moment you spawn into the train. I don't know if it's an issue with the simulation freezing or skipping as everything loads when you spawn on a timetable service and it's causing a blip I don't know but I thought I'd let you know :D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. DTG JD

thank you. I'll pass this on.

• Like Like x 1
  43. tcmikaelsouza

DTG JD It is important to note that this type of behavior, "spawning on foot" to start a service instead of starting a service from the journey or timetable that had a crash halfway through is the most common way to complete a service, unfortunately for the journey mode there was no accounting, and you had to wait for the fix, like the last update. When starting from the timetable, you can see some trains stopped in the middle of the way that do not move, but starting on foot you look for them in the same place, they are usually before the indicated point and pass there calmly, leaving the path free for you to complete the service normally.

• Like Like x 1
  44. armus

armus Member

Caltrain's "MP36PH-3C Introduction" gets stuck at a red signal, but that might have to do with the other bugs in the DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

Can confirm! Finally completed just now! :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  46. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

For the Harlem Line I got in a complete mess in Harlem 125th Street.I report all of the issues I see right here. Not all of them are directly related to pathng issues.

Service: Tr618 Southeast to GCT (express train) departure 7:35, play in Journey mode, safety systems on.
    What are the issues:
    1. Lots of trouble with ATC/ACSES. The overspeed light kept lit, it does not respond properly to braking and pressing Q even if below the speed limit.
    2. At Harlem station the stopping point for my train is at the wrong location. So half of the train is still outside the station.
    3. At the opposite side of the platform a train is waiting when I arrive, doors open but it does not depart.
    4. Immediately behind it a second train that got stuck as well (this is OK and how ACSES should work).

So now the pics to show it:

20230303084825_1.jpg

Issue 1.

20230303085106_1.jpg

This shows issues 2 and 3
    20230303085148_1.jpg
    Half issue 4.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Dinosbacsi

On Boston Sprinter, trains arriving and leaving Boston South Station will often get themselves into a deadlock with seemingly endless red lights. I was doing the MBTA Providence #826 (Providence - Boston) service and when arriving at Boston South, I saw all the AI piling up on the south.
    [​IMG]

There are MBTA trains arriving to and leaving from Boston South stuck in both ways. There is also a reversing Amtrak train - probably coming around from the turnaround loop- stuck and waiting.
    [​IMG]
    While most trains are waiting "in line" behind each other, this Amtrak service and MBTA train in facing each other, stuck.
    [​IMG]

The traffic jam piles up way back into the yard. The train furthest back couldn't even leave the yard.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I waited quite a bit and spectated them, thinking maybe they will get moving once traffic clears. Traffic was flowing nicely towards the Providence branch, but even when that stopped and there was no movement at Boston South anymore, these trains still didn't get moving.

Another issue with the same service I was doing - MBTA Providence #826 (Providence - Boston) - is that an Acela express actually gets helt up behind it. It overtakes you once when you are waiting at a station, but then gets a red light and the MBTA train gets routed in front of it for no reason.

• Like Like x 1
  48. sbberger#9515

sbberger#9515 New Member

Tunnel vision
    BR 182
    When going back for the freight cars after uncoupling dead loco at signal on reverse to Kirchman Track 44 light 071, stuck on red

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  49. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

PC Steam

Boston Sprinter - Cold As Ice Scenario, right at the end I hit a terminal red light. With 3 trains stuck at the end of the platforms under reds

upload_2023-3-5_10-47-4.png

3 trains including myself sat outside Boston on Reds, with dispatch telling me (the middle of the 3) that I am off path.
    upload_2023-3-5_10-51-35.png

I was running 5 minutes late but only because the timings are impossible to keep to if running with safety systems on.

90 minutes wasted on a route which has meant to have had the signaling fixed. Not impressed 1 bit quite frankly, does any one actually test any thing at DTG?

• Like Like x 7
  50. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This red light issue is getting beyond a joke. Instead of downing tools and fixing it, they just keep releasing more and more content which is complicating things even more.

I was looking at the DTG website last night and nearly threw up at all the positive buzz words they use about attention to detail, focusing on quality and realism and whatnot. It’d be laughable but in this case it’s just a massive insult and piss take.

• Like Like x 9