Game Update Add-ons Manager Is Here.

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Feb 27, 2023.

1. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm at work today so will be keeping an eye on this when it's launched. Fingers crossed it's successful.

2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I‘m optimistic for this. While I switched to Xbox last year, all my US and a few UK routes are still on PlayStation so I‘ll be very happy for a successful launch.

It was fairly pain free for me on TSW2 with a couple of minor issues that were solved quickly so hopefully by the end of the day we‘ll all have all our DLCs installed and accessible again.

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

They just put DLC in the core and the actual DLC download is just a few MBs worth of an unlocking key. I’m fairly confident that DTG will remain one of the only studios to run into problems with it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I'm going to get killed, but when I see the price of consoles, and the problems, why not invest in a PC, which also offers plenty of other arguments than games.
    Excuse my ignorance. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I have never used a PC for gaming, only for work, so I don't know the prices. I could buy a PC running TSW3 at 60 fps and 4K for $500?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I have a pretty good PC. I just prefer to play on console. I like playing in front of the bigger TV screen and, for me at least, considerably less stutters than on PC. The benefit of playing mostly on XBox is that you can anyway install TSW3 on both and have the best of both worlds. The downside, hardly any sales.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

I've just updated the initial thread to answer some frequent questions of the benefits that different platforms will have.

The Impact On Different Platforms?
    I've added in this section to have share some clarity for the benefit that different platforms will see due to this implementation.

PS5
    We are bypassing the 64 GB limit that is imposed by Sony for add-ons on PlayStation 5, meaning that you can install as many add-ons as you like and they should all be accessible in-game.

In addition, all consoles will see better general performance, memory improvements and potentially a reduction to the number of crashes experienced. You may also encounter 'Out of Memory' issues less frequently.

PS4 / Xbox
    All consoles will see better general performance, memory improvements and potentially a reduction to the number of crashes experienced. You may also encounter 'Out of Memory' issues less frequently.

PC
    There won't be any meaningful improvements of this change to PC platforms, however we are keeping this on the list because this change fundamentally alters how the game (across all platforms) accesses installed add-ons. This is why PC is at the lowest priority on our rollout order.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the idea, I selected everything for download yesterday and put the console to sleep overnight. In total the game will take up about 160gb of space with everything I have.

9. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

Not here yet - keep hitting "check for updates"

{edit 1022 utc} Here it is, downloading now, along with the remaining routes I've just purchsed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  10. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

For me it's several things, the cost of a PC is just too much and when I'm playing on console I love being able to just sit on on my sofa and chill

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

Just tried it - everything is available that wasn't before. Now for the performance improvements...
    Edit: It feels to me like loading times are reduced somewhat (for routes/trains, not the game itself). Currently playing Dresden - runs fine, don't know whether something has changed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

A great day indeed for those of us on the PS platform especially. Well done DTG!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I take it that part of it taking so long was due to the fact measures were taken to avoid the same issues with the rollout of it for TSW2 where when it first rolled out locos would randomly vanish from routes like SPG and SKA, and each time you backed out of a route and re-selected it more locos would go missing until there were none playable?

• Like Like x 1
  14. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Just the 22 add-ons to re-install!! Didn’t realise I had that much sitting on the bench!

great news to have the update live :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It still puzzles me why it takes so long for the PS5 version of the game to do its initial loading. Once loaded everything is reasonably quick. Haven’t tried it since the add-ons manager was released.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Wow, it is quite something to see all my content in one place on PS5 at last. So many rows of trains.

• Like Like x 5
  17. tsw2020tgp

tsw2020tgp Member

Going from 64gb to 174.8gb what a joy, I can enjoy all my collection what a relief.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

How's the performance

19. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Right so Downloading 47 items #fingerscrossed
    Although I have also added NYTrenton the acela and the UP livery pack as well. They already show up and work so YAY.... FUN times ahead now....
    Thanks guys can you buy the engineer(s) a beer or beverage of their choice please. :)

Hentis

20. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

I feel it has improved a little bit, haven't seen anything massive though (yet). The routes I've tried so far - DRA, LGV, Bakerloo - felt smooth.

21. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Seeing all the positive messages here makes me very happy! I’m looking forward to the PS4 release since mine currently sounds like a jet engine when I’m in the main menu (and to a lesser extent while I’m doing a service), there’s clearly way too much stuff going on in the background. I’m optimistic the add-on manager will take care of that

• Like Like x 1
  22. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Here’s a question for you all
    Can I put the old routes in my extended storage which is for PS4 games only ?

23. swift19

swift19 Active Member

Fantastic. Looking forward to getting home and trying it. Hopefully it'll sort the ridiculous startup loading time but that is a minor issue really.

24. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

Finally downloaded the update! Now the missing content is downloading. After that I will buy most of the missing addons (primarely Glasgow-Edinburgh and New-York - Trenton. I like it.

25. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

It always works like that, take it away, then give it back after a while and people will be thankfull... :D:D

26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think you might have answered your own question there.

• Like Like x 1
  27. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thank you folks. Please let us know if you experience any issues, but reading initial feedback it looks promising!

(I'm so glad I won't have to put 'we're so close to release' in next week's Roadmap).

Just wanted to say a couple of things. Firstly, thank you to all of you for being patient (get those bingo cards out!). I know it's been a frustration, and a pain, but I'm really glad we can allow you to experience the game as it was intended to be played now.

Second, a massive hats-off to the internal dev team, who have put blood, sweat, and tears (some in a literal sense) into this release. It's been a massive undertaking, and there have been plenty of setbacks along the way. It's been a cross-department effort, and whilst we get to share the good news as a Community team, it's them who have put all the work into getting this over the line.

• Like Like x 29
  28. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I haven't see any issues so for JD apart from the peninsula corridor timetable still missing on the bi level but back on the gallery cab car it seems like the add on manager has slightly fixed peninsula corridor bugs as well or was that in the same update hidden away

29. andyward1971

andyward1971 Active Member

Fortunately for me I have just recently purchased a PS5 so the 'tetris' situation hasn't affected me for a long period of time like other users. But looking forward to getting the rest of my routes installed today

30. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

I have waited to post a reply regarding the add-ons manager until installing and testing on ruhr sieg nord and GWR and can honestly say it has vastly improved loading times and performance. GWR as a fast route to test how quickly the SIM responds to loading assets quickly when driving the 125 at 125mph and ruhr sieg nord as an old favourite I am familiar with.

Hats off to DTG. The wait was well worth it. Thankyou :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  31. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it doesn't fix DLCs that haven't been fixed since their existence, and that buyers have been waiting for for a long time.
    If not tomorrow, I throw away my Amstrad CPC 464, and I buy a console. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  32. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

This is a massive improvement from having to choose a few favourite routes and locos to play because of the limit.
    Everything I want to play is now installed and shows up in the route menu and the loco selection screen.
    All good so far.

Thanks for the hard work DTG. It's taken a while but at least no more uninstalling routes to install others.

33. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Lol , I am assuming that’s yes then stujoy :D

34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You know, I’m not so sure now. I was thinking it was a ‘no’ because the storage was for PS4 games only :)
    Maybe someone who knows more than me can give you some better advice.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

In the place enabled to activate the mastery rewards, I don't see any except for the Christmas decorations in the training center. Does this happen to anyone else?

Another error I have seen is that the route, timetable and scenario descriptions in the menu are now not translated into my language (Spanish).

• Like Like x 1
  36. Lamplight

What a liberating feeling to finally see all of my routes again. JD, don’t know if you’re reading this, but I stay true to my promise and eat humble pie. You actually managed to get it out before the next roadmap. Hats off to the team, (almost) everything seems to work flawlessly (see below).

Same here. No mastery rewards show up in the ‘configure overlays’ screen.

• Like Like x 4
  37. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Yep, it seems I´m another one who has to eat his humble pie here. But it´s a bet I always wanted (and like) to lose.
    I really thought DTG would never pull this one off. They did!

DTG JD Congrats to DTG, especially to the dev team! Well done! :)

Now, off I go to get my PS5...

• Like Like x 3
  38. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

PS5 content can only be installed on internal storage, which has specific speed requirements. External storage is, as the PS5 itself will tell you, for PS4 games only.

• Like Like x 1
  39. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

Made my day now having all my content in one place:love:

40. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Initial boot up is still slow on PS5… before the update I thought this was the PS5 figuring out what to mount and what to ignore based on the limit cap, but seems slow as always to launch the game.

still very happy to have all the content there though, so wont overly whinge about this!

41. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Whilst that is true and you can only run PS5 games from the internal SSD or expansion slot, you can actually store games on an external drive if you don't want them installed. I have a 2TB external HDD which will run PS4 games without them being installed on the internal drives but, I also have several uninstalled PS5 games on there also (Wreckfest and a few others).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that it will "Help performance and reduce the scenarios of the Out of Memory issue" However, as this is DTG. I would need to see if that does indeed work.

Xbox/PC does not have the 64GB limit issue with these systems. If the Xbox/PC versions are fine I hope they don't break anything with this. I know they said that it will help performance, but as this is DTG we'll have to see about that. They don't have a perfect track record. But again I hope this actually does fix and help PS4 and PS5 users. Not too concerned for me as I play on PC and Xbox Series X.

Especially since the release of NEC: New York-Trenton, which was received rather mixed-unfavorable especially due to the lackluster timetable. That route has a ton of potential and I hope it isn't left behind like other routes were.

• Like Like x 3
  43. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

PC/XBox Players: DTG absolutly must optimise TSW immediately, it crashes and stutters all the time.

Also PC/XBox players: How dare you optimise my game (with the Add-ons Manager), leave the game how it is!

• Like Like x 6
  44. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

The adamantry is low better It's making all my content you're all-in-one place All I want to say is Thank you very much

45. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know. I've raised this with the team to investigate.

• Like Like x 1
  46. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good news I wonder how would this work on the Xbox series X Xbox One consoles and PC because these platforms do not have downloadable content limits seen on PS5 the 64GB

47. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Seems so weird to see all of the content I own all in one place.

Yes it seems a bit slower loading and mastery will need some work (seems to have kept the settings for what is active just cannot change it). I guess though that will just have to wait for all platforms to be running the addon manager for a fix to be looked at.

However that is nothing when looking at all them lovely layers and routes everywhere

• Like Like x 1
  48. Lamplight

True. I just had a short stint in LIRR and SFJ, both of which I hadn’t played in years (waiting for Adam’s upgrades, then came the 64GB limit, etc.) and it felt so weird to have all of this at my fingertips again.

As you say, any mastery problems are insignificant next to that feeling. :D

• Like Like x 3
  49. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Gosh, I can’t wait to get home. I’ll finally be able to drive my personal favorite train, the DB BR 423. I’ve owned the S-Bahn Köln version for months and have NEVER gotten to drive it, since I wanted to wait until I could get a fully layered timetable!

• Like Like x 2
  50. Loco Dave

Loco Dave Member

So, I start the big download when GT7 lands on my doorstep.
    With a new psvr2 headset laying around, this will have to be queued.
    I'll get there eventually. GT7 is huge.

Big thanks to all involved.

• Like Like x 2