PC The Whole Game Is Lifeless

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by heartleSS, Dec 28, 2018.

1. heartleSS

heartleSS New Member

What is the point in giving us service mode if we do it all alone. Just us and other 2 AI trains passing in a hour? What were you even thinking in the first place. Should i remind you that i paid for the PC version and not the console LOVE?

You say it's a train simulator, yes? Whenever you want, we can hop on a real train service wherever you want and if just 1-2 trains passes by us in a whole hour, i will pay you half a million.

And then you ask yourselves why people are calling you the "best" devs.

You can even ban me, i really couldn't care less, but trust me, the moment you will have competition, it will be over

• Like Like x 5
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The "Heart of Wales" line between Swansea and Shrewsbury only has six passenger services a day, each way on the whole line. Llandridnod (the biggest station on the line) sees ten departures on a weekday.
    Be careful what you bet

• Like Like x 10
  3. heartleSS

heartleSS New Member

I am in no fear, they wouldn't know such details judging by their dlc's quality. In romania too there is a line between constanta and bucharest with only 12 departures a day, but then again, too many details. And be sure, you don't impress me at all, i know 'loco' riding is a thing on these forums, that's the whole reason they have money and they are up and running

4. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

There are usually about the right number of trains in service mode. For the LIRR, there's too few, and for Rapid Transit, there are the right number - but only the S2 services are represented, making there be far less trains. Sand Patch feels about right, it's not a high-density corridor in real life, GWE is OK, maybe missing a couple of services, though rush hour does feel busy, NEC has far too many trains, though that's probably accounting for the missing Acela, NJT, and LIRR services. West Somerset again probably has too many, though it's set during a 'diesel gala' so it's realistic to assume traffic density would be higher, Ruhr-Sieg is kind of like Sand Patch in that it's not a vital mainline, making for about the right amount, and Northern TransPennine has the right amount on the Leeds-Manchester section, though there's almost nothing on the mainlines at both stations. DTG's route building team have an eye for detail, when they feel like it though - I remember an article for TS Classic on their old site about researching the Riviera Line and making sure that the right house in Dawlish was pink, and RSN's little cut-throughs and paths really make the route for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I agree there should be considerably more services on the GWR route,

• Like Like x 1
  6. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Sorry to comment but i cant see what people are complaining about, yes there is room for great Sim improvement yes definitely but since MSTS the amount of running out of memory for these games was beginning to be a real pain so for the first time in ever - we have a dedicated train simulator with tutorials which even after years makes me feel part of the game.

Service Mode is still being worked on - after all DTG are using for the first time, someone elses game engine so from in house to third party I think they've done well, granted there are bugs but you dont have to pay full price for TSW or TS2019 there are sales, which I got the bundle for 20£.

If you pay full price that's your discretion. UE4 isnt in house so AI dispatching is still heavily in production. The fact we have a service mode, friendly tutorials, a scoring system which seems similar to twitch (in some ways) very encompassing.

I dont know maybe I enjoy gaming and this has re-ignited my inner child. Amazing graphics, physics exist unlike Fernbus, DTG wrote simugraph from scratch (Can anyone here write Simugraph???)

Movement is there just look past the cab but there are placeholders you can visibly see. They wont tell you whats coming as programming it, testing it and making modifications to Epic's Unreal may be more time consuming than we think.

I feel bad for putting it down, but have faith, RS in 2009 started off rocky but eventually we have TS2019

• Like Like x 6
  7. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

The OP does have a point once you get beyond the emotional responses. The world is pretty lifeless compared to TS2018 but I also recognise its an ongoing project so I think that given enough time it can be a pretty amazing product. I hope its not hamstrung by design decisions that play to the lowest common denominator in terms of hardware and things like VR would be nice to see (not going to hold my breath there). Analyse each point on its merits and overall and in its present state I can see where he's coming from, but ask me again in a couple of years and the response might be very different. The thing people consistently fail to see, or rather cling to, is the somewhat ridiculous notion that its TSW/DTG and nothing else or something else and never in a million years TSW/DTG. I come from a somewhat different philosophy where I might own them all, and play them at different times depending on my mood. DTG one day, Run8 the next.. who cares and why should you really..

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I disagree, if you play the base DTG scenarios on some of the older routes then they're just as lifeless, normally with one or maybe two classes and one passing train every few minutes. The "life" usually comes when third party devs start wading in and produce their own DLC, but then you get into the whole area of DLC requirements which ups the cost of running the scenario.

I'm sure people will start complaining when to run a scenario they effectively have to pay £200 in DLC costs.
    Saw one on FB yesterday that had fifteen route and consist requirements...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

I can see your point. For me though its more about the little things in TS2018. The ambient noises are more lifelike (I admit here that I have some AP addons for the 47 and the 421 I think), the graphics while quite dated now reflect what the railway here in the UK is like which is quite run down, the signals etc are more immersive- again my own subjective opinion which Im not expecting you to agree with. I guess for me its a certain something that TS2018 has which TSW is actually starting to get. I think also that stuff like announcements in stations, more dynamic situations like traffic, birds etc will bring it massively to life but hopefully without too much of a hardware hit.
    Edit- the recent Pennines route is starting to hit those buttons for me. The houses look really good and more photorealistic, a bit of smoke coming out of some chimneys would hammer that aspect, the stations look good (imagine pax announcements there), and overall its starting to achieve immersion for me. I like it ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2019
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

While I agree more ambiance needs be added to,TSW, I liken its current state to most of the base flight simulations I use.

For the most part and especially for the General aviation airports that I fly too, they are devoid of anything other than the runways, basic generic lighting system and most rudimentary representation of hangers and support facilities if that had anything at all.

XPlane was the worst when it first came out, now atleast a decade later, mostly through the efforts of hobbiest and 3rd party add-ons Xplane 11 ( <——notice the revision level) is getting the ambiance to an acceptable level. But even in the latest revision, air traffic control is rudimentary at best ( ATC is like signaling for the railroads if you will). In XPlane, the focus has been on the flight model representation as primary with scenery, weather, air traffic control being secondary focus. Now that the flight model has been tweaked to where most feel it is the best representation, you see the developer focusing on the rest.

I see DTG doing the same with the tweaking of the simugraph, the latest engines released have been, in my opinion, vast improvement over the earlier releases. Signaling has been improved in latter release, not perfect yet, but improved. Many other tweaks are still need like adhesion, wheel slippage and the such.

So, as I am with XPlane (and P3D for that matter), I am in for the long run with TSW and hope to see the level of ambiance improving as the base becomes solidified.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

Good points well made. ^ :)

12. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I just think people down vote if you are passionate. I like the aesthetic of TSW, i have fun with it. Just be patient imho

• Like Like x 1