Linke Rheinstrecke Preview - 19:00 Utc - Question Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, Mar 7, 2023.

1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hello folks! In preparation for Thursday's live stream, we've opened up a question thread for you to ask us your burning question(s) about the route.

We'll have Alex, Matt, and Lukas on to talk all-things Linke Rheinstrecke: Mainz-Koblenz.

Make sure you check out the Roadmap, coming later this afternoon, for some introductory details including rolling stock, layers, stations, route map, and other miscellaneous goodies.

We'll be showing off as much of the content as we can, come Thursday - but if you have requests, questions, or suggestions, then please let us know! :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Scenery, scenery, scenery. Especially of the waterways, possible boats, and moving / static vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  3. will the castles that are seen on the Train Sim Classic edition of this route even know it does to to frankfurt also been seen in the TSW3 edition that are ontop of the big hills that go around this great route im such a fan of this route on TSC so i hope that's a yes and is the LOD4 lighting system in play on this route and will we also get a German Release at long last without the major frame Spikes

4. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Oooh question time, I'll compile a list of mine

• Why was it chosen to do only one livery for every item of rolling stock? Both the BR 110 and BR 103 could be seen in two or more different liveries during this era, leading to a lot more variety than we'll see in-game. It would have been nice to see more variety with for example an orient red BR 103 and a beige/blue and cobalt blue BR 110. The livery designer sadly just doesn't quite allow the quality and detail of official liveries.
    • (This might change depending on roadmap info) what loco is going to make use of the included freight wagons? The BR 110 would surely be somewhat unprotoypical right? How is freight represented? Why was the BR 110 put on freight services? It doesn't really seem prototypical here. Wouldn't a dedicated freight engine (even a slightly reworked BR 155 or 143, but ideally a BR 140) been better and more prototypical?
    • Why was it chosen to make the BR 103 with the skirt on the front? This looks better IMO, but is not that prototypical for 1997.
    • Are the BR 103s logo plaques still on in livery designer? This would make livery creation for the BR 103 quite difficult.
    • Will there be BR 101 layers (or substitution actually)? According to online sources (Datenbank Fernverkehr) it could already be seen in some numbers on this route on IC services, especially in the latter part of 1997 (which is the year this route is set if I'm not mistaken).
    • Why was the BR 401 ICE 1 added in as a layer? The version of it we have is wayyyy too modern for 1997, having the newest livery (which is quite a bit off from what would be seen in 1997) and vastly changed interiors, including info screens that would be very anachronistic for 1997.
    • Is there AI traffic on the other bank of the Rhein, which is quite visible in some locations?
    • Are InterRegio services represented and how? No correct coaches are available for it, but it would leave a hole in the timetable. What decision has been taken on this matter and why?
    • Does the BR 110 have the ability to pull at least a few IC services aswell? It wasn't an unthinkable substitution at the time.
    • What length do the IC consists have? ICs were often quite long in this era, with 11 coaches being standard, but up to 14 coaches (which could mean up to 560 tonnes of coaches) were common when demand was high during weekends. It would be nice to see some of these longer more challenging consits aswell.
    • (probably no answer on this, but) is a DLC with the BR 120, a freight engine and/or InterRegio coaches planned or at least being considered?
    • What's the timetable like? Can we expect a lot of traffic and variety? How is AI traffic represented? Are there special runs like empty stock hauls or light locos? Would you say the timetable for this route is on par with previous German timetables like DRA, the updated HBK and BRO?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 14
  5. gegreenpeaced/julius

gegreenpeaced/julius New Member

Since there is now another IC Route and the possibility for a IRE Addon, do you plan or think about to finally develop the IC Cab Car?

• Like Like x 3
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's not on the roadmap so no plans for that.

7. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Can you Show the scenarioplanner for the route with the list of start points and set up a short path?
    Somehow scenarioplanner never appears in Streams.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

The Br101 was relatively often seen at that time already. Will we be able to drive it here?

It was already stated that this route hasn’t changed that much since the 90s. Will we see a modern day timetable? Because the scenario planner is just not the same :/
    My idea would be a package with the IC cab car, slightly edited stations and a modern day timetable to represent the variety we have in TSW for German routes :)

• Like Like x 5
  9. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Why did you choose this timeframe for the route instead of a modern-day version?

• Like Like x 2
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Why was the opportunity not taken to add some UIC stock, AM's and BM's etc. for "D" trains?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This bugs me more than it should. The skirts were almost all gone by that time, I think only the prototypes kept them. That's now effectively a 70s loco on the late 90s route.

And 103s definitely looked better without skirts :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. phil.elliott

phil.elliott Well-Known Member

Will there be a pre-order discount?

EDIT: Thanks for touching on this topic in the stream, this question is specifically as to whether or not there will be the (previously common) 10% pre-order discount for the route on Steam (individually, not part of a TSW3 starter pack) :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  13. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

can you please explain why it would have been to much work to add an era-accurate BR 155 for freight? You say it is never just a repaint, but we have the BR 155 on BRO, which is up to standard, and it would only need a repaint, as all the other locos also have PZB90 and Ebula-monitor. The BR 110 rarely ran on freight. Or if the BR 155 was not possible, have you thought about adding a different loco (f.ex. BR 150 or BR 151 as loco-DLC)? I just took the BR 155 as example, as it already exists and is up to standard, and in my eyes would have been easy to adapt, as a completely new loco would be too much work.

Will the BR 101 substitute on IC for the BR 103?

Other question: Will the green ICE1 from the loco bundle 2 substitute on Linke Rheinstrecke? The ICE1 from KWG is already not really time accurate (but still somewhat acceptable), but the green one would really be a no-go.

• Like Like x 8
  14. rennekton#1349

Cuz people like older content lol. Matt explained it in the summit stream.

15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Its not a deal breaker for me, but I am kind of disappointed to learn we are getting the 110 on freight. I get why the 155 wasnt deemed suitable as would need more work to get it in the right era but a wrong 155 would have been the lesser of the evils. Especially as we getting a wrong era Ice 1 layered in, seems to be a very inconsistent thought process on would to use. If the BR155 is wrong then the ICE1 is wrong.

But back to actual questions..

We will see any layers for the new 365 on this route at all?

How many of the advertised services are depot moves?

Which depots are included if any?

• Like Like x 5
  16. lux#4689

I wonder what other changes the 155 would have needed. Different livery ok, but for the rest?
    BR 110 and BR 103 have PZB90 and Ebula too, so no need to take those out. And I don't think much else has changed?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Different cab most likely. I couldn’t find when the 155s got LZB but before that, the cab was significantly different.

18. lux#4689

well, the included 110 an 103 have the wrong cab too for that era. So that should not be the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  19. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Would you ever consider making an alternate 'modern-day' timetable for the route? I know this is a big ask but it feels a complete waste to not be able to use nearly any of the plethora of existing German rolling stock content in TSW - I don't want the hassle of using a limited scenario planner all the time! :|

• Like Like x 7
  20. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im really hoping we see a diesel legends of great western style add on for this route in the coming months. DTG would be crazy not to and would be leaving revenue on the table IMHO

• Like Like x 5
  21. Swisstrains

exactly my thought and the one of many others! Especially because the route would only need small changes to be accurate (which could be left out) as for example the modern signs and PIS boards on stations. My idea would be: A set with the modernised route, a modern timetable and the highly requested IC-cab car for 16€ :D

• Like Like x 5
  22. rennekton#1349

The problem of doing the 155 is that it's still a whole new locomotive dtg has to build cuz of the differences. Rarely see more than 1 new loco per dlc. We already had a brand new 103 and the new passenger coaches which dev time was spent on.

• Like Like x 1
  23. lux#4689

why would they have to do a new loco? We have the 155 already twice in the game. And the one from BRO already has all the TSW3-stuff. And there are not many differences ...

• Like Like x 1
  24. rennekton#1349

Another user pointed out there are big differences if you scroll up. If there were zero differences, then it would have come with the route but it hasn't. As Matt explained, he said it's more than a livery change

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Will the DB Baureihe 103 substitute on DB Baureihe 101 services if Linke Rheinstrecke together with Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr Bahnstrecke Witten Dortmund-Oberhausen/Duisburg are owned. The route can support a DB BR101 layer

• Like Like x 1
  27. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

Right, I agree.

And...

Sorry, but this 103 doesn't have a "pilot / apron" either. :D

But I like orientred very much - as one of the few. :love:

• Like Like x 1
  28. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

My question for the stream would be:

Why don't you at least put up the objects of the old PIS (flyer display) at the main stations, which would then just not work (because e.g. defective)? That would be more realistic than simply not putting up any PIS at all and would add so much to the atmosphere.

• Like Like x 11
  29. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree, better to have a realistic but non functional PIS equipment than none at all. Are DTG really so hard up for 3D modellers, no one has an hour or two spare to knock up and texture a couple of boxes?

• Like Like x 8
  30. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The ICE layer doesn’t really bother me, it’s 2 services so won’t be noticeable anyway.

I do agree that the decision to not have a 155 (more suitable than the 110 imo) because it’s too modern, but to include the ICE is silly logic.

Personally I think the 155 would have been a better choice if it came down to it, but I also think that a 101 layer would have been nice if we are at this point anyway.

of course there is a very strong argument to be made to not have any modern iteration of any loco in this DLC, and let us experience a pure sense of German rail in the 90’s.

It’s not really a question but I would like for some honest discussion on the matter, I just get abit miffed when DTG use this weird logic.

• Like Like x 3
  31. lux#4689

A 101 layer would not make any sense. But 101 substitution would, and the roadmap only talks about layers not substitution. So, who knows, maybe it will still show up? We will know tomorrow evening.

• Like Like x 3
  32. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

• Will the 101 substitute for the 103?
    • Will the 103 substutute on any other timetables?
    • Has the timetable already a slot/layer for a maybe upcoming loco DLC?
    • In case there might be a loco DLC, would you consider a BR 120 with the IC cab car?
    • Would you consider something like a Diesel-legends DLC, just with reversed polarity: New locos on an old route? (suggestion: FLIRT 3 as new loco)
    • How much of the Rechte Rheinstrecke can be seen? Are there scenery tracks? Are the tracks populated by AI stock?
    • How was creating all the new assets, especially the castles and Fachwerk-houses?
    • Are there new ships which are realistic for the rhine?
    • Did you change the water texture in any way?

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I think I have a unique question: will there be traveling a lot of ships on the Rhine and are they paintable in Livery Designer again? In Bremen-Oldenburg it was a great new feature. ;)

It would be great if, in addition to the barges, there were also a few excursion boats for tourists to see.

• Like Like x 7
  34. rennekton#1349

It was mentioned during the livestream that the team thought it would be more immersion breaking if there were pis boards that were blank, meaning they are defective and players wouldn't be satisfied so they decided to remove it all together. Pis boards is considered a standard feature. Either way, there will be players who like it and those who don't

35. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

Are there any ideas of launching a modern era timetable for the route as a separate addon at a later time?

• Like Like x 2
  36. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

As it would be very realistic for this route, will custom Liverys for the Locos AND coaches spawn in the timetable Mode?

37. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

We have many times talked about a "checklist" of standard features all routes should have. Yeah, PIS is one of them...

• Like Like x 2
  38. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Most of my questions have been asked already, hence, just a couple to add (sorry if some are doubled):
    • As there are 111 derivable services for the 103, so, I am assuming that the IR services are also included (IRL 1997 saw approx 60+ish IC services and approx 30+ish IR services in Koblenz). Would it not have made sense to then at least use the same rolling stock as for the IC, but with IR colours? Its not 100% realistic, as the more modern IC coaches only reached IR services slightly later, but now we seem to be driving IR services with IC stock. Was this not an option, rather then what was chosen to be offered now? Genuinely interested.
    • I am eager to see to what depth the 103 is modelled. On another thread it was hinted that stuff like "Trafoumschaltung" is modelled. Are there any more such gimmicks, like for example the AFB? I assume brake positions can be changed (G/P/R)? What about being able to go into the engine room?
    • Are there any updates implemented in the 110, other then the paint scheme?
    • What route features are included (I am mainly interested in snow cover and reflective signs)?
    • Coming back to the PIS, which is already mentioned a couple of times but I want to dig a bit deeper. I would really like to understand why DTG can not commit, or at least state that they will try to implement this at a later stage. What needs to happen to do this? I mean, I am assuming you need to develop it any way, as I would not believe that this is the last DLC for this period, and even if it was, the tech would make sense somewhere else (trains used to have those flippy-style-boards at some time as well). Its not a deal braker, but a big disappointment, never the less

• Like Like x 6
  39. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

For that matter, they could as a placeholder do what they have done all along for station departures boards: a fixed scenery asset that reads “PLEASE CONSULT THE TIMETABLE” No need for programming or animations.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  40. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Will there be any traffic on the river e.g. barges, river cruise ships etc? I know this is a rail sim but it would be a shame if it was dead.

• Like Like x 3
  41. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

Why are you laughing at someone who asked a perfectly legitimate question?

• Like Like x 1
  42. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

My question is more for the niddertalbahn route. In the roadmap stream it was mentioned there were manual grade crossings. Will the timetable service say something like

stop at location grade crossing
    Close gates
    Stop at location after crossing
    Open gates
    Stop at location next crossing

or will it say stop at next station and we would need to know where the manual crossings are and or ignore them.

I hope it’s the former

43. Swisstrains

I think in Germany you don’t have to manually open the gates. You push a button and as soon as you drive over the crossing some contacts will open the gates again :D
    But I‘m not 100% sure!

44. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Generally this is true, but there are many different methods to protect the cross way. I believe in the interview they were talking about HET in this context. This means that the cross road is protected by some kind of automated gate (or light or similar), but is now inoperative and you have to manually protect the cross road, usually be inserting a key on the side of the track, right in front of the crossing. HET stands for “Hilfseinschalttaste” which loosely translates into manual override button…

There are procedures for this (as is the case for everything on German rails…) and it will certainly not be a seperate action on your timetable, as was hoped for further up. It is the drivers responsibility to recognise the fault (usually by a signal) and act accordingly.

EDIT: just to add to this. Manually operated gates by the driver are non existent, to my knowledge. If you have a crossing without technical protection, it is usually protected by whistle boards. And I believe we will see many of them on Niddertalbahn…

Sorry for the off-topic, btw:o

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  45. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I have the following Questions:

1. Will the 103 appear on other routes than Linke Rheinstrecke and Niddertalbahn? I think it drove at Kassel Würzburg in the 90es.

2. Will the 155 or 143 appear at Linke Rheinstrecke for freight services beside the 110?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

46. bernhardjocke

bernhardjocke New Member

im still not understand how route is set 1997 if there is pis all station i saw two route wish way its was i dont know yet

47. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Can we expect in the future the release of DLС with BR 140 and its replacement with BR 110 in freight traffic.

It would be great to see early series BR110 in passenger traffic (up to #286)

• Like Like x 3
  48. Janosch Flemming

Janosch Flemming New Member

How will substitution look? With the older german content being released I feel like the collection of german rolling stock I have assembled doesn't get much use.

I understand why you chose to ship the BR110 for freight as it's available in a more fitting version to the era, but as the modern version of the BR401 will sub in, why can't there be substitution for the BR155 for those that already own it? It would add some much needed variety to the route.

It would also be great to see a "modern" version of the timetable. Could be a second version of the same timetable just with substitution for modern locos and rolling stock enabled. Having the choice between realism and a busier route with more variety would be great. And we wouldn't need to rely on the still pretty clunky and limited scenario planner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

It's a layer, not a substitution.

50. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Flap displays can simply stay blanked, with no information displayed. No need for implementing animations in this case, either (until there is some idea to implement them eventually).