Train Sim World 3 Why Do The Majority Of Uk Enthusiasts Prefer Modern Rolling Stock?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by isaac47593, Mar 8, 2023.

1. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Just a genuine question. It seems most UK enthusiasts would rather see something like a class 331 or a class 720 added, opposed to more locos such as a class 90 or a class 50 etc.. But why? Imo the older locos offer a much more interesting driving experience and have way more character. Just thought it would be interesting to see why :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

i think it’s coz although we have ‘modern traction’ in the game we done have much traction that’s been from like 2015+ and we feel as though it’s missing in not just tsw but tsc too. units like the flirts(755/745) are really unique trains and it would be cool to see something of the likes in game soon, of which i’m hoping the 700 leak will be true and does get added soon.

3. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Most of the "younger" simmers on here from the Uk only remember the stock that was with them when they were growing up. Such as 2000

Some of the older established simmers more of the mature age prefer Steam and early diesel Electric as thats what was around when they were growing up.
    It's what they grew up with when they were younger.

For me I like most stuff. Old BR through to Privatisation and present. I just wish that there were a few more BR era routes and not the modern day. But it is what it is.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

It's what people know and have memories of. I will always take a Peak or Deltic over any modern MU but I know there are younger people who would turn up their nose at a diesel.
    It is quite interesting because over the years driving trains I have seen people's interests change in front of my eyes. If there were an old electric train and a brand new one in a platform generally the younger spotters will go for the new unit rather than the old loco and the older spotters will go towards the old electric loco rather than the new electric unit.
    Sadly it's the way life works but it still doesn't excuse DTG from doing another BR diesel route as we haven't all died out yet!

• Like Like x 3
  5. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

Being born in 2005 I'm from pretty much the last 'loco generation' I guess you could say, cause I can still remember seeing 60s and the likes through Stoke when I would only have been about 2! And I've always been more interested in locos than multiple units. Although even since the late 2000s the amount of loco traffic has faded significantly so I suppose it makes sense why the younger spotters are into the modern stuff cause it's all they know. And I agree we need another BR diesel route!!

6. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Holy crap in 2005 I was 25, dam I'm getting old lol, but definitely think there is a major gap in the route era's that needs to be filled and catered for, the mid 80's to early 2000's. Plenty of loco hauled services still buzzing around in that time period and mail trains, need more of them too......:D :D :D

• Like Like x 3
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I am only 22 years old so I haven't been around older units which is one of the reasons why I would like to see more of them in game. The super new stuff is nice, but they all feel and look the same. Older stuff make you think about what you do which I like. I would enjoy some of the older emus, locomotives, dmus and locos. Don't really enjoy steam. Imagine being able to run some of the older rolling stock on bml. That would be amazing. Or the clag of the deltics or the screaming valenta engines.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Here on the forum you're likely to find that players have more varied tastes, however for players as a whole we tend to find that people are interested primarily in their era of trains; the trains they saw regularly when first getting the bug for all things rail. This is particularly true when it comes to high speed in the modern era. Tastes expand over time, and no two railfans are exactly alike, but this is the trend we've observed.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

The above rings true, my train bug started in the dying days of BR so I would absolutely throw endless amounts of money at Swallow-liveried intercity stock and Regional railways content. For now I just have to do with the 150 on WCL and the livery editor for the 47 and 323! But just wait until the HST is livery editor compatible, it'll be like a breath of fresh air once we have 166, 47, 43, 158, 323 and 150s at our disposal for 90s BR scenarios. :cool:

10. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

My personal BR era is BR Blue - 1980s, so I'm crying out for such locos as Class 55 Deltics and Class 25s. And - a 37/0 please. And a 56. And a 50. We really need the Class 31 on the Livery Editor - the livery choice is huge for Class 31s. I'm really enjoying the Livery Editor - see my uploads on the Hub (PinzaDave) - and have even ventured into BR Green. (40106 was the catalyst).

• Like Like x 1
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I had to laugh when one or two people singled out the drab UK multiple unit for praise and excitement when confronted with the big selection of amazing and lovely trains in the latest roadmap article. It’s like being given free reign over the loveliest traditional cake store with delicious fancies from all over the world but instead drooling over a dry cream cracker you found in your pocket.

12. As mentioned above, the older generation of train enthusiasts are getting on a bit these days. Make way for the younger generation.

And rail companies used to use trains a lot longer. When I was a boy, most if the trains on the network were 50 years old!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
  13. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly old, but when I got into train simulation it would've been well before a lot of the modern routes are set. Just as a example I associate NEC more with now retired types like HHP-8 & AEM-7, not the ACS-64. Unless you're talking somebody who got into railfanning from around 2015 or later most people here are in the same boat. And I can't imagine most of the people paying $30 to $40 per route are under the age of 18.

Maybe it's just me, but your companies obsession with routes set after 2015 seems rather stupid if you're really trying to make routes "of the era" for teens and 20-somethings.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The main problem with mostly modern trains on a simulator is they are too easy to drive.
    Straight into notch 3/4 and off you go, slam on the brakes you stop. With abs and tcs and cruise control its like driving a car.

Older traction would sit there burning holes in the rails if you opened the throttle right up and flat the wheels if you braked too hard. Even getting the things up a grade required a skilled driver.

• Like Like x 3
  15. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

But what is exactly wrong with that? Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and shouldn't be laughed at for such.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I was a child in the era of the old BR diesels, but grew up with a fondness for the Steam locomotives of days past, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar fascination among those who grew up with EMUs with their chunky, rattly predecessors. I for one really want to see more modern stuff like Class 800s, because we went so long without anything new. Plenty of the stuff I grew up with was meant as short-term stopgaps until we got around to replacing them with something new, and then just kind of ended up overshooting their expected lifespans by several decades.

• Like Like x 2
  17. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

This thread has made me feel incredibly old!!
    I get what your saying about the 60 as when I was a lad (2 or 3) we went up to the Peak District with my grandparents for the weekend and we were waiting in a station (can't quite remember which one) and there was a shiny new and modern looking peak which pulled in and roared away. Ever since I have always felt a soft spot for them so I presume as there are more units appearing it is these that people are getting a soft spot for rather than the locos which came before them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

May as well offer my services...

The simple answer: YES

The more advanced answer: I like modern trains because that's what I've grown up with but as a railway enthusiast, you learn stuff from BR days and from the steam days and it makes you think a bit, but I feel modern wins the race, still like old diesels and steamers, they are a gem :love:, but modern trains are more common nowadays and that's my views on it, feel free to argue it below but I entitle everyone to their opinions at all times so I won't argue with whatever you say ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Being Dutch, I have to do with driving trains I have never seen in real life at routes I never travelled in real life. This is a big advantage because I can have a new experience from home without the need to travel.
    I am interested in railways and what I find is that the best era for railways was somewhere in the beginning of last century. Early diesel and electrification makes it very diverse. It takes some time and reading to find out this existed. You will find documentary movies on DVD, but far less at youtube. There are lots of books about that time but young people tend not to read. They simply do not know what they are missing. It may be the reason some people playing Railroads online are disappointed because the highest speed without derailing 22 Mph, which is historically quite correct I think. In the next survey you should ask about knowledge on rail history.

Having said that, I am really happy with the new "old" German routes. Hopefully German steam will come soon afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  20. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I think it’s just due to the demographics that use a forum and play video games. Most are going to be young although obviously not all.

I certainly don’t want more modern stuff. Br classic diesels and early electrics please :)

Playing the game is a bit of escapism for me. What I don’t want to do is play in a world that I could just open my door and go to the nearest station to see. The stupid pis, automatic announcements, horrible modern train seats. I don’t wanna see any of it!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  21. david5150

david5150 Well-Known Member

I would love to see class 50’s and similar. The era I’m most nostalgic about and remember is late 80’s-mid 90’s

• Like Like x 3
  22. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

For me it's mostly because modern stuff is what I grew up with. Plus I find BR Blue stuff so incredibly dull to look at. I much prefer the bright and vivid colours of privatisation. I never understand why people say the BR era was more varied. All the trains looked the same, with the same carriages and the same grubby diesels at the head of it. I don't really care for driving the 101 with it's clunky and awkward controls, or the 47s and Peaks which are no more fun to drive than a HST.

The exception is steam, but that's mainly because I find steam inherently has more character than diesel. I much prefer Castles and A4s over Westerns and Deltics. In my opinion steam traction is also more interesting to study, both from a performance and engineering point of view.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I was born in 1991 and my main preference is steam locomotives.

The big 4 era especially just has so much soul and excitement! Four Railway companies, each using their own designs of locomotives with carefully hand painted liveries, varying rakes of coaches also in differing types and liveries and rails spanning the country like veins before Beeching & Marples butchered it. You had each company coming up with new prototypes of steam locomotives and even if they weren’t always successful, it was just so interesting to see these wacky one off locomotives like Fury or The Hush-Hush.

If you go even further back before the Big Four, there’s so much content potential there for TSW. Though reference material would be a massive challenge the further back you go. I’d LOVE to see some older steamers, an LNWR Claughton would be lovely!

You look now, steam locomotives are the old rock and roll stars on the network. One comes through a station, screaming whistle, steam everywhere, this locomotive is demanding that you look at her as she tears through at speed and everyone does just that. If she stops at the station, people will flock over to her for a closer look, quick selfie before she leaves.

I like BR Diesels too. I prefer BR Green livery (especially before the yellow panels were introduced) but BR Blue has grown on me a lot. We need some BR Green content for TSW, it’s seriously overlooked as is Intercity. BR electric locomotives are also great, love the 86/87s! 90s & 91s are great too.

As for modern day stock, some of it’s nice to look at but I find it devoid of personality and soul when compared to the great stuff that came and went before it. A Class 800 simply doesn’t compare to a Class 43 HST, even if they do look quite dashing in a TPE livery. The HST is just too iconic.

I must say I do find it amusing seeing videos of Class 37’s dragging a multiple unit younger than itself to the scrapper. It’s also great to see tractors still going strong!

I actually don’t outright dislike modern stock, I enjoy driving modern UK content on TSW if I want something a bit more casual for a change from the gear changes and lapped brakes of the 101.

TLDR - The older a piece of rolling stock is, the more interesting I find it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, if it's true that players prefer " their own era of trains ", that doesn't augur well for us older railfans. As time goes by, the audience for TSW will become progressively younger in train terms.

That means more UK " electrostar " , German " red box " and US NEC- type electric trains and whatever comes next. Supersonic vehicles on magnetic track?

What chance for steam and diesel passenger trains?

The US is already becoming the last bastion of diesel and freight, though I'm pleasantly surprised to see a UK steam route and German diesel train on the March release schedule.

I hope they sell well, or they might not be repeated.

• Like Like x 1
  25. orb

orb Well-Known Member

I think the own era preference only lasts until some age and then the interests can change. For example, I preferred playing with the "own era" trains and "the closest to home" routes at end of 90's and in 00's - i.e. stuff I saw on tracks in 80's & 90's. From around 2010's I started preferring playing with rolling stock from earlier eras, or on routes far away from home (these however don't need to be historical routes, just something I can't see everyday, something exotic).

• Like Like x 2
  26. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

My era i grew up with 91s, Pendolinos and the rise of MUs, I don’t really find old BR that intriguing apart from Sectorisation Era trains and the HSTs and APTs the same cannot be said for another person, they might prefer Napiers, Peaks and Deltics, that’s what makes this hobby so intriguing, i grew up on the west coast taking trains to and from Euston and Birmingham so i’m more fond of the west compared to someone who grew up in Leeds, they’d be more fond of trains in the east