Train Sim World 3 Southeastern Metro - Cannon St + Charing X To Dartford

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by olly.smail, Mar 13, 2023.

1. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

Hello all, today i will be making the route suggestion of the Southeastern metro, from London Charing Cross and Cannon Street to Dartford via Woolwich Arsenal, Bexleyheath ant Sidcup, set in the current day. The ‘code’ for this route add on could possibly be 3.GCK-R7 03.

A Route Overview

Starting (or ending) at either Charing Cross or Cannon Street just north of the thames, many lines meet up as you arrive into the beautifully rebuilt london bridge station. After the latter, you’re racing along one of the first commercial railways in britain as you approach the area of lewisham, where each of the different lines diverge from one another. The line via Woolwich splits off first(if going via deptford) and the other 2 lines continue to lewisham station where they will then go their separate ways. The ‘middle’ line, known as the bexleyheath line is fairly straight as it goes through the suburbs of Eltham, Welling and Bexleyheath where it then eventually joins the north kent line just next to the vast slade green depot. The north kent line section of the route stays close to the thames for a fair part of its route as it goes through the likes of Charlton, woolwich and abbey wood. Last but not least, the bottom of the 3 lines, known as both the Dartford Loop Line and the sidcup line surpasses the areas of hither green, sidcup and Bexley before joining the other 2 lines just outside of dartford. Overall, this route would really give the south london metro style feel to the game, of which i think would be very welcomed by many players. In total, the route is approximately 42 miles in length, so is a decent stretch for players considering the scenery and density of the lines.

Here are some maps of the 3 different lines included. F0373E45-28CC-4F78-B942-C8C940D27A31.png A4DD46DC-F15C-4DCA-A211-658B4ED9981D.png 9C162678-C248-43C3-A5CC-24562D3710F5.png

So why this route?

There are many reasons i feel this route should be added to train sim world 3, one of those being the amount of variety of services this network of commuter lines would give to players. With some services going from end to end (example, cannon st to dartford via bexleyheath) others form what’s known as a ‘Cannon Street Looper’ where a train will start at Cannon St, go via the North Kent line and loop back around via Bexleyheath towards central London again. These are often displayed as trains to ‘Slade Green’ or ‘Bexleyheath’ as it is a longer way to get into the capital.

Now that i’ve spoken about the route itself, let’s take a look at what trains/locos this route would come with as standard in the next part of this thread.

• Like Like x 6
  2. olly.smail

At release, this route would come with the following trains:

• Class 465/0 & /1 Networker
    • Class 465 Networker
    • Class 465/9 Networker
    • Class 376 ‘Suburban Electrostar’
    • Class 700 ‘Desiro City’
    • Class 707 ‘Desiro City’
    • Class 66 ‘Shed’

Now i know that’s a lot of trains for a single route add on, but i’m going to explain why these should all be included as standard.

Class 465/0 & /1 Networker

7F7BF3A1-9BF6-40FE-B651-D1ECE85AA9EE.jpeg The class 465/0 & /1 are both 750V 3rd rail DC Electrical multiple units, capable of 75mph as their top speed. Each unit is formed of 4 coaches and are able to couple together to form 8 and even 12 car trains, sometimes seen in the peaks. You may be thinking ‘but we already have a 465 in game’ well yes, we do, however the /0 & /1 are noticeably different to the current /9 in game. Some of those differences are being built by different companies, different traction motors, different cabs, different interiors and different body shells, despite looking similar to each other. The addition of this train could also layer onto the current SEHS route as it would be more realistic than purely /9s running the NKL services.

Class 466 Networker

The class 466 networkers is essentially a 2 car version of a 465/9, with the /0 & /1s style of interior. Since the recent requirements were changed by the DFT for rolling stock, all 466s must be accompanied by a 465 when in operation as they do not have a PRM specified toilet. In this route. this train would be seen coupled to 465s to mainly make up 10 car services, although 2 466s + 1 465 making an 8 car train is also seen every now and again on the SE Metro.

Class 465/9 Networker

The class 465/9 networker has been a part train sim world 3 and even 2, so many players will already be familiar with this train. Not seen as commonly on metro services however, since 2023 these trains have had their first class sections removed and are now more suitable for metro services so can be seen more frequently on the metro network these days. The /9 units are also seen coupled to the /0 & /1, making for an interesting sounding departure due to the separate motors working together in a unique way.

Class 376 ‘Suburban Electrostar’

72D128FE-E90A-427B-85D0-3DA78D7EB205.jpeg The class 376 suburban electrostar, also known as a metrostar to some, is a 750V 3rd Rail DC Electrical multiple unit, made up of 5 coaches. With a top speed of 75mph, these units are often seen on this metro network operating services day in day out. Some enthusiasts aren’t very appealed by these units however as they have definitely seen better days, as they haven’t been refurbished since introduction in 2004, however this should soon change thankfully. These units are mostly seen operating in pairs to form a 10 car train for additional capacity.

Class 700 ‘Desiro City’

943CF51F-3FC5-4842-B731-925DCEE1B38E.jpeg The class 700 desiro city is a dual voltage electrical multiple unit capable of 100mph. As there has been a leak for this train and a high amount of requests for it, i will be suggesting this train as standard presuming it is already in game by the time this would be added if it were to be taken into consideration. On this route the 700 predominantly runs on the North Kent Line running services from Luton to Rainham on the SEHS route.

Class 707 ‘Desiro City’

DB7FB017-DFD9-403A-8AFC-2F298FEFFEC9.jpeg Similar to the latter, the class 707 desiro city is capable of 100mph and can be a dual voltage unit if need be, however in its current state is only a 750V 3rd rail DC emu. Recently transferred from SWR, these brand new feeling trains have been giving customers on the metro network a slight upgrade to their journeys with the air conditioning and extra capacity. These trains have a more metro style interior and no toilets in comparison to the Class 700s as they were originally ordered by SWT for their short distance services.

Class 66 ‘shed’

I know we’re all tired of seeing this loco in add ons, unfortunately it’s a hard one to avoid considering it is seen on the vast majority of freight services across the uk. on this route, the class 66 operates services across the NKL to and from Hoo junction on the SEHS route.

Features of the trains

Some features i’d like to see on these emus would be -
    • Functioning GSM-R
    • Ability to change destination displays/PIS displays in carriage
    • Possibly announcements if done better than seen previously
    • TMS on Class 700/707s
    • All standard safety systems
    Now for the last part of this thread, about depots, timetables, pricing and more.

• Like Like x 5
  3. olly.smail

Depots and sidings

On this route would feature the main depot of the metro fleet at Slade Green, as well as large sidings at both Hither Green and Grove Park. There is also a small amount of sidings outside plumstead station, housing mainly 465 networkers.

59EDD1C0-6234-41B6-8EBC-D3963432695E.jpeg
    Slade Green Traction and Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot is where trains get heavy and light maintenance done and is located in between dartford and slade green stations. i would love to see things such as a detailed interior, walkways and clutter around the depot of which i feel has been lacking in previous route add ons.

Timetable

As for the timetable for this route, i feel as though we would need either a late 2022 or current day (early 2023) timetable as the Class 707s were only introduced recently, thus needing the appropriate services to run on. This would also allow for many busy peak services as the timetable doesn’t really suffer from the pandemic reductions anymore.

Scenarios/training modules

I will be making a separate reply to this thread in the coming future as i want to put detail into the idea i have for them, so watch this space. As for training modules, all trains added in this route as standard would come with their own training module in the training centre.

Layers

At the london end of the route, seeing both SE Class 375s and Southern Class 377s would bring life to this end of the line. As cool as it would be to see these available in timetable mode, i feel as it’s not really ideal considering it would only be a few stations distance. The Class 37/7 loco bundle add on could also be seen either running light loco movements to or from kent or dragging a 375 behind.

Possible DLC for this route

One thing i would enjoy having to add to the already varied network of lines in this route would be the Hayes line, also known as the mid kent line. This 8 mile extension to the existing route would add a bunch of extra playable services as well as a quiet feel to the line as you venture slightly into kent as you pass through the suburbs of Catford, Beckenhan and Elmers End, before reaching the end of the line at Hayes. One thing i’d also like to see is AI trams at Elmers End, using the model from the E-G route in a green livery to represent the croydon trams. 916F4F85-3EEE-4241-B792-79D84A53D352.png

Pricing

As for pricing, i believe this route would be appropriately priced at the standard £30.00, as it is a good length with a good variety of rolling stock although not being over the top.

Summary

In conclusion, i would truly love to see this route added to train sim world 3 due to everything i have spoken about above. Another key reason for this route is that it offers much more playability than a standard A-B route, as it gives more variety and life to the route. I know it’s been a long read but if you have read through the whole thing from start to end, and hopefully me and those interested in this route could maybe one day ‘Master the Metro’ in TSW3:)

• Like Like x 4
  4. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

A brilliant, very detailed suggestion - would love to see some more Southeastern and Southern content for TSW again so we can have more busy, epic timetables like London Commuter and SEHS!

The inclusion of Charing Cross, Cannon Street and, of course, London Bridge would be absolutely epic regarding timetable/AI traffic and scenery. Plus, the addition of the Thameslink Core between London Bridge and St Pancras Intl would also be brilliant.

Charing Cross All photos taken by myself
    IMG_20210807_140414.jpg
    IMG_20210807_140529.jpg
    Cannon Street
    376 at CS.jpg
    CS.jpg
    London Bridge
    700 and 465 at LB.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on and this can merge with SEH at Dartford assuming London Charing Cross is the common origin for both routes. Not sure if there is a Charing Cross Dartford Favesham service in real life? If yes you can drive it from Charing Cross to Faversham end to end.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

What if we backdate this to the PEP era and extend the line 20-30 miles down to Hastings to allow southern and southeastern PEP locos+trains?

• Like Like x 1
  7. olly.smail

in summer there’s a few 465 ‘summer special’ services from cannon street to ramsgate via the north kent line so yes this does happen

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There are very few of these services, but with a London bridge to Rainham Thameslink service taking 90 mins and stopping at 21 stations that's surely enough?
    The other stations on that run are covered by local stoppers starting at Dartford or Gravesend, which take about an hour to do the run to Charing Cross

• Like Like x 2
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think this would be a great add-on, I do feel the networker deserves its own full length route.

• Like Like x 4
  10. olly.smail

and to have a proper brel networker would be great

• Like Like x 3
  11. olly.smail

i feel like an extension down to hastings would deserve its own route imo

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about this and I'm wondering did you use the real-time trains website for this.

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I live in Gillingham... So I wandered up to the station and read the PIS

• Like Like x 2
  14. seagull81006

seagull81006 Active Member

This would be awesome, london bridge would be a very demanding station, with the amount of trains in and out (not far off 2 trains a minute i think)

• Like Like x 1
  15. olly.smail

yes i agree, like the clapham junction of this route in a way

16. olly.smail

Here we go, if you wish, you can read these scenarios i’ve made for each train that could be included in this route add-on.

Class 465/0 &/1 scenarios

November Networking - Difficulty Lvl 2

Its a chilly november night and you’re taking this pair of brel 465s from Plumstead sidings to London bridge, where you’ll then turn around due to engineering works and head to dartford via lewisham and sidcup.

North Kent Trundling - Difficulty Lvl 2

A summers afternoon requires additional capacity on the NKL due to an event taking place in woolwich. You’ll take this trio of hitachi/brel 465s from Charing Cross to Dartford, and you may be held at Woolwich arsenal and dockyard to pick up the mass of passengers that are present.

Class 466 scenarios

Triple Trouble - Difficulty Lvl 4

Take this empty stock move of 3 466s coupled together from Slade Green depot into service at charing cross, where you should then couple to a 465. Unfortunately on your way, you experience a dragging brake and have to be rescued by another unit, which then takes you back to where you started. You then have to pick up a 465/1 and take it into the capital as a replacement, to provide additional capacity in the peaks.

Magnificent Metcams - Difficulty Lvl 2

It’s an early summers morning and you’re taking this 466 + 465/9 up to charing cross from grove park sidings where you’ll then couple to another 465/9, then forming one of the first trains of the day towards dartford via bexleyheath.

Class 376 scenarios

Metro Stars - Difficuly Lvl 2

Take a pair of Class 376s on a clear nights run from Cannon Street to Cannon Street via Woolwich, Slade Green and then curving round back towards the city via Bexleyheath and Lewisham.

Fifteen at Fifteen Fifteen - Difficulty Lvl 3

Take this extremely rare formation of 3 Class 376s units, making 15 coaches, on an urgent autumn run from Grove Park Sidings to Slade Green depot via Sidcup.

Class 700 scenarios

Football Fanatics - Difficulty Lvl 2

Due to a football game at Charlton, your train will be delayed once you get into the area of Deptford due to trespassers further up the line. Once you get to charlton, you take your train as far as Plumstead where you will then reverse via the sidings and take your train back to London Bridge.

Dreary diversions - Difficulty Lvl 3

Weekend engineering works have overran and you’re on one of the first thameslink trains of the day heading towards luton. You’ll be diverted via Bexleyheath and will make additional stops which aren’t usual for 700s. The rains coming down heavy so be careful on the brakes as you approach stations.

Class 707 scenarios

Beaming City - Difficulty Lvl 1

It’s a warm spring morning and you’re taking this class 707 out of slade green depot and making your way to charing cross, first heading to dartford then changing ends and heading towards the capital via sidcup.

Gauging Up - Difficulty Lvl 2

To ensure these trains are reliable and fit for service, they must be gauge cleared on all routes. You’ve been assigned the drive out of grove park depot, up to Cannon Street, change ends and then heading to Slade Green Depot via the north kent line. It’s an early autumn afternoon so be careful of slippy rails.

Class 66 scenarios

Shed meets shed - Difficulty Lvl 2

Due to a powerful storm bringing heavy winds to the south of london, you’ll be asked by the signaller to proceed at slow speeds throughout your journey. you may even come across parts of a garden shed in your way on your travels.

Early engineerings
    - Difficulty Lvl 3

Its an early winters morning and you’re taking this engineering train from london bridge as far as dartford on its run to hoo junction. You’ll first have to shunt around the area coupling up all required wagons before making your way. it could even snow so be weary at all times of your driving.

Thanks for reading this if you have, hope you have a good day :)

• Like Like x 2