Midland Mainline - Leicester To Derby & Nottingham

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Feb 5, 2023.

1. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

Different cabs, the EMT 43s don't have ATP fitted so have a different speedo cluster. Different engine so sounds a lot better, with a more noticeable supercharger noise more like the original Valenta engines.
    Different light cluster on the front, it's 6 rather than 4 lights.
    The passenger coaches have a completely different interior being the original seats (GWR one changed the interior adding a high density layout with high backed seats)

• Like Like x 1
  2. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

I don't understand why it's a weird chunk.
    Leicester is the hub of the MML, like Swindon on the GWML. This section has the most variety in terms of service variety. With semi fast and express services to both Derby and Nottingham from Leicester, stopping services between Nottingham and Derby/Leicester.
    Plus the aggregates at Mountsorrel for freight services.

You also have that amazing triangle at Trent Junction

Derby to Sheffield is just an A to B route operated by 222s and Cross Country. With a lot less variety but I do admit it's more scenic as it touches the edge of the Peak district

• Like Like x 4
  3. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

I'm very excited for this route, I grew up with the HSTs on the GWE, but went to uni in Leicester just before the VP185s got withdrawn, so I spent a lot of time riding between Notts and Leicester

• Like Like x 1
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

A new picture posted of the East Midlands Trains Class 158 - this looks to be taken at Leicester station. Also notice it is in double formation, which is perhaps part of an included scenario.

upload_2023-3-7_19-38-10.jpeg

Also, another screenshot of the 158 further down the line.

785837E3-CE41-4AF6-998A-60CB185EF5B4.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

well it's certainly following DTG with NO passengers on the train

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I mean, it's quite clearly a WIP.

• Like Like x 2
  7. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Now come on I count at least four!!!;)
    emt 158.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Love the 158, it looks great. Can't wait to see what the Class 43 looks like.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 9
  10. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

On the screen, the train looks like a toy. There is no photorealistic effect. Screenshots with him will not look like photos from life.
    The quality of the levreia is desirable at a higher level.

12. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The 158 looks great, i hope they add a little weathering to the livery, so it doesnt look too much out of a comic.

On the other side the pic has the red clouds oin the background and as "new painted" train it doesnt look far off.
    To be fair skyhook is not responsible for the livery design ;)

Screenshot_20230310-131440_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  13. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

If I was going to be picky I would say there's no power lines on the hill.. the power lines stop just to the north. There is, however some sort of antenna on the hill.

• Like Like x 2
  14. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

Because it’s a work in progress.

• Like Like x 1
  15. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

It's not Leicester. Possibly Beeston.

16. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this. Can anyone confirm the release date? I heard a whisper that it’s coming next week possibly 23rd. Although I also heard that Niddertalbahn was also releasing on Thursday 23rd?

• Like Like x 1
  17. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

There's no release day yet. Since it's a route dlc, I would expect it to release near the end of the month and a preview a week before release. I might be totally wrong but a preview next week and a release after that with the loco bundle preview in between. But it can change any time

18. Bravo2six

MML won't be for a while yet, at least a few months.

The only releases this month are West Rhine, Niddertal and locopack 2 and the Rivet Railtour pack.
    At least, thats what i understand

19. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Nonesense. JD clearly said in the Roadmap that MML is coming before the next roadmap:

https://www.youtube.com/live/DUBWRKkk6PA?feature=share&t=3061 (at 52:01)

• Like Like x 7
  20. rennekton#1349

• Like Like x 7
  21. Bravo2six

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mrcoolface110

Mrcoolface110 New Member

I will probably buy this route, mainly cus I want the class 158 and I think it will be fun to drive from Leicester to Nottingham. However I wish they extended to Sheffield and added a class 153 or 156 (deffo should of added class 222 along side the current rolling stock we are getting) just to see more train variety on the line

(Controversial opinion but part of me wishes there is enough support and calls to add Sheffield that Skyhook may add it even if they delayed release to add Sheffield)

• Like Like x 2
  23. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

158 windows need a darker tint to them really. Although I might retract that feedback once I’ve seen a few of the daytime shots without the train lights on

Also - I think skyhook should release some decent preview videos that include acceleration, braking on level ground and a full demo of the sounds so that people can give proper feedback BEFORE release thus preventing a repeat of the biblical scale disaster that we had with the 150/2.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  24. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Really?? That feels like a slip of the tongue. We're already halfway through March and all we've got are a handful of screenshots. Unless I've missed something, it hasn't even had a dedicated article.

• Like Like x 1
  25. rennekton#1349

Articles get released closer to the release date or don't get one at all if the dev chooses not to

26. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Its a good move i wonder then is the licence for SWT still copyrighted then as I doubt that will return. I just wonder why we’re still having short routes ‍

27. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

People on forums let their true selves come forward.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Bravo2six

I assume a combination of dev time, resources (both hardware and software), actual feasibility and play time)

I've said myself, and seen posted, that realistically, more than an hour's run without a reliable safe function isn't really plausible for most players. BCC, in terms of play time, is at the cusp of what I can realisitically dedicate for an entire day. I also much prefer routes like E-G, WCL and the GWE 'metro' routes over the GWE 'express' and SEHS 'express' services.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

This. I think DTG knows this too and puts more thought into run times than geographic length. They seem to aim for 45m to 1h services (so longer routes with fast trains and shorter routes with slow/lots of stopping ones).

Exception being US freight which tends to be slooow and longer but even with those lately they’ve been doing 2 part services.

30. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

there’s no basis to prove that it isn’t “plausible” when 90% of the forum suggestions and even route suggestions in general are longer than 80 miles… dtg cannot keep getting away with adding 20-30 mile routes. Longer routes have been a big request since the game first came out, DTG have been doing long routes on TSC… and before you jump on me i know TSW is different, point is most people want long routes, most people want to drive for longer

• Like Like x 3
  31. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm not one of those people. I don't have several hours to drive one route.

• Like Like x 3
  32. rennekton#1349

Probably like every once in a while. Don't think it's always feasible for every single dlc and for every 3rd party.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Bravo2six

Well, clearly there must be if they haven't yet done so.
    Alot of the feedback I've seen regarding the Kassel route is that there isn't much to do once you're upto speed, which is going to be the same for UK routes.
    You can make suggestions till the cows come home, but if the information from the surveys and existing long routes show that they aren't popular, they won't waste the man hours on them.
    Look at some of the TSC routes with 2 or 3 hour play times, yes it was a more stable game for such things, but how many of them are actually completed? And on that fact, TSW is a much more resource intensive programe, why build a route, that possibly only high end rigs (maybe consoles - never played with one, so no idea their performace on TSW) can run? It would be limiting your product to an already limited audience.

Yes, 20 - 30 mile routes are frustraiting, but if its like CCL, BCC or even the bakerloo line, where they can take a significant amount of time to complete the full route, then I'd rather that than, say, a London to Norwich route that takes over 2 hours or whatever.

To me, as an outside with no knowledge and only assumptions, it wouldn't make sense.
    Again, there ARE suggestions of long routes, but remember this forum is only a fraction of the total player base.

• Like Like x 5
  34. pessitheghost

i understand that, BUT a lot of suggestions on this forum are usually very long routes, so it’s a fallacy to claim that long routes are “unfeasible” for most players, when most players of TSW sit down and complain about routes not being long

35. pessitheghost

I haven’t spoken about only the forum, most of the general community complain about route length, kwg’s issue WASN’T route length, it was number of stations… people were driving 280km/h to only two other stations, add a London - Norwich route to the game, people wouldn’t complain about length and etc because there’s enough stations for the length of the route, and contrary to your beliefs you don’t always HAVE to drive a whole route, you can save it halfway or do it completely it’s entirely up to you. Even on longer routes you can drive short services. Point is KWG was a bad example not because of length, but station distance AND even still KWG got a lot of positive feedback for being a long distance HS route. On TSC the longer routes are making profit, have services for long and short , like the ECML south/North , WCML south (even though it was bad at first), London -Ipswich GEML these are “long routes” that made tsc money

• Like Like x 1
  36. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’m not sure about anyone else but I want long routes but not long routes with loads of stops, basically I want an intercity route. So even if the drive time is around 1:00hr - 1:30hr I’ll only stop at 3/4 stations en-route.

37. pessitheghost

that’s perfectly fine, i would love a long route with a mixture of intercity and regional and commuter

• Like Like x 1
  38. vuurkip#5765

vuurkip#5765 Member

I generally prefer shorter routes like BRO but I would like longer routes IF they fix the save system. Still get my destinations erased, pantographs down, AFB off, lighting changes and several other bugs when loading a saved game

• Like Like x 1
  39. pessitheghost

I agree with you a 100% of the save game, i just feel like we don’t get our moneys worth from accepting one loco with about 20 miles of driving. Quantity and Quality can be good like look at all the ECML on tsc

40. vuurkip#5765

vuurkip#5765 Member

Definitely agree, it's probably the fact that making longer routes with more loco's takes more time and money to make so if we do get a long WCML or ECML with 2 new locos it would probably be like 60 euro's lol

41. Bravo2six

Without a reliable save function, you can't.... when I play BML, I can't use the save because I know it won't work.

There's still the issue of hardware and stability.

42. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Funny but the surveys I have seen suggest the optimal time for a run is between 45 - 60 minutes. MP has stated statistics for TSC show the same and that simulation has been around for many more years than TSW3. I am not against longer routes, but usually avoid any single service or run that pushes much past the 70 - 80 minute mark because of having a life outside of TSW. Only time I play longer routes in TSC is when the over all run is broken into a few scenarios which I can complete in my available time Or I feel comfortable at saving when stopped at a station or a red light.

And I wouldn't put any credence in what I read in any online forums since very few forums are supported by the majority of the player base and a disproportionate number of those in the forums are in for the entertainment of the forums themselves or to vent on what they rightly feel are problems with the game/ simulation/ program AS THEY SEE IT. Valid points, but not a representative cross section of all players to formulate what the majority wants.

• Like Like x 4
  43. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

i’d rather have shorter, more detailed routes than long ones with less detail in them imo

• Like Like x 2
  44. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

When TSW3 was released, each base route is 60 miles or more. Going down to half that is a massive step in the wrong direction

• Like Like x 3
  45. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

yes and no. people forget that dtg and third parties are completely different things with completely different views on things like creating routes. A third party will not have the experience dtg has nor the amount of people needed to create a route longer than ones we are seeing. Personally, i’d rather see a shorter route with a good amount of detail and effort put into it rather than a longer route which ends up rushed just because people want more miles.

• Like Like x 2
  46. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Long routes are the foundation of variety. Technically it allows to use branch lines, local industries, express and regional trains, having fun just as passenger etc.. If you make your 30min run, another time you might drive an other service on a different track section on the same route.

Thats just total shortsighted in my opinion, only because YOU dont have time for long runs, dtg should create future routes / content around your personal situation?

By the way i currently dont drive a car, so go on and sell yours too because its not needed..

Tsw needs variety and if the represented route is short, then its what it is. Doesnt have to be bad (iow). But if the endpoints of a route are choosen in a ridiculously way, that 1. The route ends up short, 2. The potential of services is not used, 3. Timetable lacks because endpoints were choosen nonsense and 4. On the remaining short route section the available correct stock isnt used, yes then devs seem to not understand how to use their dev time in a efficient way to bring tsw forwards instead of backwards and produce "_hitstorms in the community".

• Like Like x 8
  47. Bravo2six

But on the other hand, why should they spend more money, time and effort on a longer route, which only interests a minority of players who have more time to spare?

It's swings and roundabouts, if I was given the option for a 140 mile route or a 40 mile one, I'd pick the later, why? Because I'd be able to realisitcally complete all services.
    BML for example, puts me off, as I will NEVER be able to finish all 1,000+ services.
    While WCL, CCL and E-G are strong goto candidates because they are decently timed.

End of the day, I see the arguements for both, but the logically, shorter sections make the most sense.

48. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Who says it's a minority?

I most definitely would like to see some longer routes as I find the short and slow stop start stuff incredibly dull.

• Like Like x 6
  49. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

I understand people asking for longer routes. The issue I have is that a lot of people are saying that route quality has gone down a bit. And if they work on longer routes it'll take them more time to complete and release. And I'm not sure they'd be any higher quality when they did release?

If there was another 3rd party or something that had the time to put into creating a longer more detailed route then go for it but I'm not sure if it would really something DTG would be suited for based on previous experiences? As they seem to be under pressure to get a lot of dlc out currently and a lot of forum users seem to quote cash grab and running out of time for detailed and correct development?

• Like Like x 1
  50. pessitheghost

you can have long routes with detail, what is your point…

• Like Like x 2