Deal Of The Century!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mr JMB, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I rarely touch TS, however but for the first time in ages i feel like I got a deal. £13.51 for this lot is a bargain. Some of it I already have in TSW but some of it I'm curious to see in the older game.
    Thank you for sharing.

upload_2023-3-10_21-26-32.png upload_2023-3-10_21-26-58.png upload_2023-3-10_21-27-22.png upload_2023-3-10_21-27-43.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. chieflongshin

I also have this. If anyone does not have tsw3 I don't mind sharing this if it will let me (STEAM)

upload_2023-3-10_21-30-25.png

4. swift19

swift19 Active Member

Nice one, bought it to beef up my TSC collection. TSW for when I have access to the tv, TSC for when I'm on the (potato) laptop!

5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

This is really tempting. I stopped playing tsc since tsw offers much more gameplay with the 24hr timetable, but this is great.

6. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

They'd have to pay me to install that thing :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I might have to bite on this one. I have quite a few of these but still quite worthwhile.

Is the TSW coupon only good on the base game or can you use it on DLC?

8. Disintegration7

Lol i literally just uninstalled it the other day to save space.....i've probably said the same thing 5 times

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

A great deal, must buy for me, even if I already have most of it.

EDIT: It's broken. I tried to activate the NS Coal District and U36B DLCs, and both said I already owned the pack even though I didn't, Somehow I think they got them mixed up, because when I activated the Clinchfield route as a test it gave me the U36B, but sadly I wasn't as lucky with the Coal District route. I've sent a support request so hopefully I can get the right key, but unfortunately it's the weekend so it'll be a while until I get a response.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  10. chieflongshin

Only the base game

Just to confirm, I've had no issues with content so far.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Disintegration7

I
    I can confirm the U36C and Clinchfield codes are reversed.

Haven't tried Coal District as I already own that one.

Is there any way to give away the codes for items i already own?

12. Doomotron

You can either copy the code and send it to someone, or you can use the 'gift to friend' function on Humble Bundle.

13. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I don't even own the game

14. Doomotron

Good thing then that the bundle comes with Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  15. neonym#9140

neonym#9140 Member

Yeah, same reason for me. In TSC there was low amount of scenarios on routes and no other good options to play. Workshop scenarios needed too many other DLCs. On some routes (for example Hamburg Hannover) there was scenarios just in one direction of these routes. 24hr timetable is the best thing TSW brings. Sadly TSW has shorter routes than TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chieflongshin

I played the London network route last night and oh my god, I can only imagine that with a proper timetable. It boggles me too that things we ask for in tsw like people outside stations is in old routes

17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Sadly TSC and my laptop don't like each other and refuse to play nicely with each other, otherwise I'd be taking advantage of the this pack.

chieflongshin I'm guessing it would be a no but does the voucher work against DLC as well as the base game?

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unless it's changed since I gave up on TSC, it uses a single thread in the CPU for most of it's work and laptops are very much optimised for multiple low power threads on their CPUs so TSC tends to kick their behinds.
    Also doesn't help that a lot of laptops use onboard CPUs and shared memory which again isn't very well optimised in TSC

19. rennekton#1349

Is there a way to share the tsw3 coupon? I already have the game but did not see a redeem code

20. Nei4024

Nei4024 Active Member

Could you explain this please.

I play TSW3 on a gaming laptop, I play on high settings and around 50 fps. But when running TSC, it doesn't work well at all, I would like to buy the Humble Dumble offer, but I don't know if I can solve my TSC problem.

Maybe you know how to fix this, TSC is really slow on my laptop, but I run many other games just fine.

Any help is welcome,
    Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  21. rennekton#1349

For me, what seemed to help is to force my laptop to run the higher end processor. For my laptop, I have the standard integrated intel one and a higher performance nvidia processor which gave me much better fps. You can look up how to do it online. Pretty easy to find.

Another option is to change some settings. Antialiasing can impact your fps a lot. Other things like dynamic lighting and clouds, procedural grass, shadows can decrease your fps by quite a bit.

I don't use a gaming laptop. I just a lenovo Thinkpad p1 with a intel i7 8th gen 2.6ghz with a nvidia quadro p2000 max q. Used to get below 30fps. Now getting around 40-60fps depending on the scenery and route

22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I can explain but not sure it will help much...

What we think of as "the processor" in a computer nowadays is actually multiple processors. You can see this if you are running windows, go into task manager and go to Performance then CPU. At the bottom it tells you how many "cores" the processor has. These cores are essentially individual processors. You can also have multiple "threads" per processor, this is like asking a core to do two things at once

Because Train Simulator was written many years ago by people using DirectX 9 and the main core game was never updated (because it would break old content, mainly) the main core of the game still works on that 20 year old system (DX9 was released in 2002)
    This means that even if you have what is by 2023 standards a fast processor, it's likely that the way they made it fast is to shove in more cores, the fastest i9 processors have 16 cores for example.

The problem is that those cores actually run SLOWER than cores back in the day, in an effort to reduce overall power, allow more processing in the same physical space etc etc. A brand new core i7 13000K runs slower than the same processor from 5 years ago, but with better core and better OS the thing can chuck out more data overall. But this doesn't help with TSC which can only use one of those cores

It could also be that even if you're only using a single core the game (ie TSC) is using the same core as everything else. I used to have instructions on assigning the game to a separate core, and maybe that will help you, but overall mobile CPUs just aren't good for DX9 gaming, especially gaming which is very much unoptimised like TSC

23. redrev1917

TSC was never designed for modern lap tops, even the specs on steam state the below, I recall seeing a TSC article around Xmas about improvements coming for TSC which may one day help us laptop users.

upload_2023-3-13_17-21-42.png

24. chieflongshin

only base game mate, I'd have whacked it in a bundle otherwise.

25. Doomotron

What settings are you using, and what routes are you playing? Some routes, like the Long Island Railroad included with the bundle run poorly no matter the settings and even my computer can't run it much above 20fps. This is the same device that runs GTA 5 at a locked 60fps on ultra, so I don't know how DTG managed to make the route so unoptimised.

26. redrev1917

I didnt even know you could just buy the base game on its own with just the training centre. Hardly seems like a good idea if you want to tempt new comers into the game IMO.

27. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Just like TSW3 it's not optimized enough. It has always run poorly with micro stuttering even on my high end pc. Been like it for years.

28. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

I've never played TSC before, so I took the plunge as I've recently got a new laptop, lawks a lordy, it's a bit jarring coming from TSW to TSC, graphically TSC is pants in comparison lol, performance isn't too special either, even on a half decent gaming laptop, but I like some of the routes and rolling stock.
    It won't replace TSW in any way shape or form for me, but when I can't get on my xbox, it'll be fun to fiddle with.

29. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

You can't. The voucher is for the standard edition on the Humble store so includes Cajon, SEHS and Worzelburg

30. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  31. rennekton#1349

At the end of the day, graphics don't matter. Tsc has features tsw doesn't have which is why people stick to tsc. There's an editor, consist creator, longer routes, more routes and countries to choose from, more steam, etc

32. Doomotron

And the argument will start in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

I would start it but all of the points I'd make for both sides will inevitably be made by others.

33. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Let's keep the TSC vs. TSW chat to a minimum, please.

Just as an update: we've chatted to HumbleBundle, they're aware, and have prepped their Support Team if anyone has any issues redeeming codes: https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. Doomotron

I've just worked out that, being priced at £13.51 and including 21 routes this bundle costs 64 PENCE per route, being likely the best deal in Train Simulator history. I can imagine for a new player it really would be the deal of the century, and that's not including the TSW3 coupon, EU Loco And Asset Pack (not sure why it was included but the person I gave the code to won't say no to extra stuff) and five loco packs (three in the bundle and two Class 66 packs included with individual routes). It does make me annoyed though that as I own so much already the six items in the pack I didn't have (including the TSW3 coupon) came to £2.25 per item. Still a good deal, but I do feel that a lot of my purchase went to waste, either being sent to friends or put in my pile of codes I got from Humble Bundles that I didn't need.

35. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

It's worth noting as well that HumbleBundle support a lot of charities as well, so a % of money will be going to some great causes.

36. Doomotron

That's true. This one is so far the most expansive bundle; looking back at the first DPSimulation one it seems tiny in comparison. The one now seems quite close to the previous one but that might just be me - hopefully these become more common because they're brilliant especially for new players.

(And if DTG are feeling a bit naughty you could even sneak in some of the withdrawn DLC we've been asking to come back, like Up The Junction, Phorum Peninsula, the RW fictional routes and the Class 02. Or maybe that's just me wanting to collect those old DLCs) :D