PC Updates On Physics?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jodie33829, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jodie33829

jodie33829 New Member

When should we expect to get the updated physics for the CSX SD40-2, GP38 and 40, and the ES44? I read the last Dovetail Live article in December but I was wondering if there was anything new that was shared? Are we talking weeks, months, or years?

2. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

Considering they'll also be looking at the physics of the HH wagons as well, not to mention they'll most likely need to look at all or most of the services to see if the allocated motive power can still get a train over the top of Sand Patch, I'd suggest we're still looking at Months.

• Like Like x 2
  3. elatn

elatn Active Member

Yes, I was driving yesterday and I was like "WTF, please brake!". They should also look at the physics of the freight train with BR185.2 on the Ruhr-Sieg Line. With dynamic brake and automatic brake on step 3, it looked like an emergency brake.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jodie33829

jodie33829 New Member

It would be nice if the development team would at least let us know where they're at more frequently. Not only is it interesting, it keeps players engaged. I havent opened my TSW in over a year because I'm waiting for the update, and is the same with several of my friends.

And a side personal note: Absolutely crazy it's taking as long as it is. TSW released on March 17, 2017. We're coming up on the two year anniversary... how can it take nearly 700 days to understand and implement physics they've had correct for over a decade with Train Simulator 20xx? I just dont understand the problem...

• Like Like x 4
  5. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

TBH I think the "physics" in Train Sim has given you all a false sense of reality. Perhaps that isn't the way trains brake?
    In my experience, TS20xx brakes (and sims in general) are way too responsive. Of course in reality, every day and train consist is different.

As for updates, those will come and the seemingly fantastic editor will allow for an influx of good, bad and hopeless content from the community.
    Yes, the editor blows anything before it out of the water, can't wait to see what you clever creators come up with!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Yeah... The Train Simulator 20xx trains all handle like EMU's, even the mile-long freights. I've always advocated Run8 for realistic North American (and Australian) train handling. A 6 lb. reduction takes a while (15-60 seconds) to release and recharge, and an emergency application will have you sitting in the water for up to 10 minutes while you notch up the engines in idle to pump up the air faster. There's some engines that handle in TS 1 relatively realistically (VRC's U30C springs to mind), where the load-up time is painfully long, just like in real life. Much of that is simulated well in Run8 (like the P42DC's that also take forever to load).

Actually, that makes me wonder if DTG will truly "fix" the AC4400CW: a GE 7FDL (used from the U25B all the way to the AC4400CW) had a load up time (throttle moved to traction motor response) of up to 20 or 30 seconds. This is one of the reasons GE's have been rather poor in yard and switching services. As-is, the AC4400CW loads within 1-2 seconds of moving the throttle.

• Like Like x 3
  7. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Things like updating the physics, improving the stupid passenger AI, releasing the editor and other long promised features takes up their lowest priority possible. Highest one is obviously releasing DLC's and porting them to console.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Translation: Things that don't make money are lower priority than things that do...
    Sounds about right. Obviously counterintuitive as they lose people who would spend money if everything was right, but it's a standard train of thought in many businesses

• Like Like x 4
  9. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

But to this extend? Are you serious? These physics updates are the first mentionable thing that distinguishes current Train Sim World from the version at release 2 years ago

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately yes.
    Generally I know companies that will do anything to get out of running repairs and in this case specifically there is a history of constantly putting out new DLC without fixing or updating the old.
    Not sure how TSW works in the background but if it's anything like TSx then updating one DLC doesn't fix the remainder even

• Like Like x 4
  11. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I think its the layers of coding to trawl through to find it should of been a true of false command or vice versa or instead of if an If command it's something else. Im not a coder but rushing causes little silly things to be missed.

12. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

Sir DTG is taking their time so calm down

13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The new physics might come with the next dlc. The new physics for the 43 and 66 are fantastic and so will the CSX locomotives. The AC4400CW is taking them the longest to do.

14. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Once DTG have your money they couldn't care less about updating old content. I've stopped buying DLC for TSW because I don't like DTG's attitude towards their past products and their customers.

There have been many threads in a similar vein to this one; DTG never bother replying, that's assuming they even bother to read it.

It's funny Anthony you should choose the adjective "fantastic" as it can mean either extraordinarily good or detatched from reality. I personally believe it's the latter which is the correct definition in the context of TSW. Talking objectively not subjectively, the Class 66 in TSW has a top speed of 200mph, the air system charges far too quickly and air flow gauge doesn't work properly, so the update is far from perfect. But I guess we'll have to wait another year for an update to the update.

• Like Like x 2