PlayStation Update Yesterday Wow It’s Big

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by simonr#5214, Mar 21, 2023.

1. simonr#5214

simonr#5214 New Member

Question
    So I’m on ps4 and on version 1.33 on tsw3
    How come todays update version 1.34 is 15gb …what the heck ..please can someone explain …I have all routes installed and run fine but I’m not happy that the update is 15gb for unknown reasons

2. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

So on Playstation 4 there is a platform limitation that means it is not possible for us to update a DLC at all, once it's published live it can never be updated again.

In order to patch a route with changes, fixes etc, we therefore have to put those changed files into the core package - which means over time it constantly grows. I think the core file for an xbox 1 is currently around 2gb (because XB1 does permit updating DLC files) - but the core file for PS4 is around 40gb. only PS4 is affected, every other platform including PS5 allows DLC patching.

There's nothing that can be done about it i'm afraid.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just updating my PS5 version and it was around 2.5Gb so should finish after I type this. The PC update can background download while I’m playing Fallout 4 later! Ah, there we are, done. Time to drive…

5. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

doublefp.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Well to be fair it says 'Play', not 'Development' :D

8. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

That said it's a PS4 limitation and not a PS5 one, which the tagline is for. Plus if Sony were going to change it they would have done so eight years ago, not when the PS4 is close to being withdrawn entirely. It's also worth noting most games don't suffer from this limitation as DLC is kept in the core game and 'unlocked' by DLC purchases. Of course, the nature of TSW means that can't be the case.

9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

It’s just a bit of tongue in cheek fun. I just find it amusing that a company with that tag line has all these arbitrary restrictions all over the place. Don’t take me too seriously when I bring it up :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. redlichtie#1320

redlichtie#1320 Member

So how many gb is this game going to become with all these updates?? Biggest space taker on my ps4 and I've barely got added any dlc.

11. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the insight!
    I’m assuming this is why progress transfer from PS4 to 5 was never implemented. They seem to handle the core game and DLC files differently, which may impact the formatting of savegame and progress data. Feel free to correct me on this, Matt! :)