PlayStation Console Compromises Gwe

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rob39, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

less service traffic.
    less catenary distance. 2-3 masts ahead.
    AI trains appear and disappear in plain sight. ( massively obvious). Vanish 200yrds down the line.
    No stationary wagons in Acton Yard unless container train encountered on a rare service or in scenario.
    Hst’s reduced by 2 coaches.
    Given more experience has been had with console since the dev of GWE. Are we likely to see improvements in these regards?DLC such as RSR whilst similar to GWE in the catenary department has shown train loading distance improved dramatically, infact I dont see them load in or out at all. Theres lots of ai traffic around, travelling through yard areas of 10-20 sidings all under wires.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

there are no stationary wagons in service mode on PC either

3. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

Personally, I feel I've seen the optimisation get better dlc by dlc. Probably the best so far (in my opinion) is RSN. Regarding the trains spawning in and out in plain sight, RSN has a natural advantage due to the tight corners and winding tracks (trains can then spawn out of view around bends... Don't think I've ever passed a moving loco on a straight! Lol) I suppose, Northern Trans-Pennine will be another good chance to see where the devs are at optimisation wise. I'm quite looking forward to it. Not holding out too much hope though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

This is called optimization, consoles is more limited than pc, so render is less.
    GWR is not the only route where there aren’t trains on yards

5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I understand the optimisation aspect. Compare the distance a train can travel into the horizon on the Ruhr Seig Nord (as far as the eye can see) to a passing train in GWE- within seconds of passing it vanishes into thin air. My point is, if there are things that dtg have learned to do better with recent routes, could they apply this experience to the older ones? As far as ai trains. RSR has areas with large amounts of track. Plenty of stored freight and passing services.

6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. Being aware of the curves in RSR making this an unfair comparison I deliberately set the free cam on Hagen/siegen station yard approaches. The trains literally go as far as the eye can see. In rural areas you can watch a train go into the distance round a curve far away and still see the red side panels through the gaps in the trees. You are right, Im very much looking forward to ntp and taking note of ai traffic and view distances.
    Answer to Shukal- So the DB wagons are only parked at Acton for the ‘Down the line’ scenario on PC?

7. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Have you seen what current gen consoles are capable of these days? Just look at RDR2 and The last of us 2, even Fifa. All absolutely stunning with massive draw distances and smooth frame rate. DTG should be doing a lot better with TSW optimisation on consoles than they are at the moment.

8. Shukiii

These games aren't using Unreal Engine 4 though.

9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Thats why I will only compare against dlc in the same game. RSR is the most similar. What Im suggesting is that back when GWE was made for console, they may have played it super safe, for founders edition, semi safe for ps4 release and patch.
    Dont get me wrong if, making any of these changes will result in the game crashing then fsir enough. Its just request, for tweaks to loading distance, if now they have the confidence to improve it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. Dupe

Dupe Member

I believe that the developers do not pay enough attention to the version for game consoles. The playing environment, outside the railway line, is very poor. If we consider NEC New-York, then instead of a beautiful picture of the night city, we see a huge square pixel glow.
    Badly generated people. They are two or three people who are simply multiplied. Grass and trees look like after a nuclear strike. The stations are empty, there is no life on them.

Even trains (especially passenger trains) do not provide the full range of potential train possibilities.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shukiii

None of this is any different on PC.

12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Show me any real world simulation where the world outside the playing environment is good

13. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

fifa is another type of game, on fifa you are on one stadium that you load when you start game, on TSW to do a thing like that you need to load many gb of route.
    RDR2 use another graphic engine, probably more optimized for consoles, and about that i think that UE4 is one of the most heavy graphic engine used for games

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. ARuscoe

None of those games are real world simulations needing to look good whether moving at 100MPH or 0MPH
    None of the engines of those games need to be ABLE to go from 100MPH to 0 such as when pausing
    You cannot stop playing football in the middle of a match and go wandering around the local town to my knowledge in FIFA
    RDR2 is produced by one of the largest games software developers of the last many years, TLOU2 is produced by a subcompany of Sony...

OK, I've looked and there's little comparison.

Not saying DTG are right in how they do things, just saying comparison like this helps nobody

15. Dupe

Dupe Member

TSW positioned as a simulator, but it is not quite so. This game is an advanced arcade game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

Unless you're sitting in a train cab using train controls etc then it's not a simulator.
    ALL console and PC "simulators" are games in the end

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dupe

Dupe Member

For the players, they drew a lot of buttons and levers in the cockpit, but they either do not work or are not needed.

18. ARuscoe

But they are there to create some form of immersion in the game. In FIFA you don't need a crowd or players that look like the people you're trying to emulate. Don't remember the last time someone actively used their nose to score a goal in the premier league...

In other words yes the heater button may not work, and yes it may be there to fill the gaps, but without that people would complain more

19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

This wasnt created to bash DTG. I think the recent DLC’s have shown improvement. GWE is a route I drive regular. HST services are just so easy to fill 25mins spare time. Seems a shame If DTG think there are things they know now that could have made it more immersive. They dont just consign it to archives as a 1st attempt on console.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dupe

Dupe Member

In PC games, developers can tell players that they have weak computers. And do not engage in optimization.

When developing games for the console, developers can not say that they have a weak console. Developers squeeze out of the console maximum capabilities. Unfortunately, TSW went on a very easy way, greatly deteriorating the quality of graphics for consoles. It is perfectly visible in the sky and water

21. Shukiii

I'm pretty sure neither the sky nor the water has been altered for the console release either.

22. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Thats the sort of thing Im referring to. Anyone whos driving the console NTP at the moment. Full length trains. Rakes of coaches in sidings. Idle locos parked up. How about the odd 66 parked in a station siding or the hoppers lined up at acton.

• Like Like x 1