PC Is The Service Mode Timetable Made Using The Real Timetable?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Reeon1999, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

Does the service mode in Train Sim World use the actual timetable for that route with those trains or is it just a collection of made up schedules that work for the route?

2. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello Reeon1999
    I do not know exactly, however, what I can say is that the RSN and RT timetables are very realistic at the very least. RT is a bit more sparse then real-life, but still, it's quite simmilar.
    I doubt though, that either is a true 1-1 copy of the real world.

Cheers,
    Prof

3. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

I just personally feel if they want to create that realism by recreating a working day on a route that the timetable for that period would play a somewhat important role. I'm not bothered by it not being 1:1 but more curious as to why it doesn't happen. Would there be too much traffic that the game couldn't path them all correctly or would the route have a lack of traffic?

4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

NEC has a completely fake TT. LIRR isn’t real either, but Matt said that at one point before release he had most of the real tt in it but had to change it for some reason.

5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The thing is there are very examples of a 24 hour timetable. For example you’ve got M-F, then Saturday and Sunday timetables. Add the fact you’ve also got Winter, Summer and Autumn timetables.

So it’ll never replicate a 24 hour working timetable completely, but perhaps to some point.

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Matt wants to get the UI to support multiple service modes at some point.

7. Reeon1999

Reeon1999 Active Member

I understand that there are different timetables through the year and also different times during the week. But it could be like Omsi where you select a date and then it adjust the timetable for that day. And the overall timetable would only be for the year the route is meant to represent. So for example if a route was set in 2018 it would use all the timetables to make a 1:1 timetable and then in game you choose a date and depending on the day and season it would show you the correct timetable. Instead of just showing you time of day in service mode as you're setting it up then above it there would be another option for date.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

My guess is that it would require too much work and testing. I think for the services timetable most individual schedules were just copied. I would appreciate more variation, let's wait for the editor and see what we can do. I think testing the timetable in services mode is a huge task. Maybe that is the real problem....

9. Jsunflyguy

Jsunflyguy New Member

From what I can see for the LIRR's Austere timetable is that the signals don't function correctly. In places where the cab signal indicator is relied on to govern the approach to a signal it does not provide any advance information, only reactionary info.

For example if you decide to simulate an equipment train move you can easily catch another train, and the cab signal indicator will display 80 because the block ahead is clear, without regard to the fact that the one after it is not. The maximum speed would be 40mph for approaching a stop signal (or an upcoming 15 code) on the LIRR.

Here are screenshots from the Queens Village westbound. You get an 80 code into a 15 and ram the train ahead

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Yeah, the signals do need some tweaking.

11. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Jsunflyguy You're not the only one getting this, trust me.
    I've already reported it to DTG. Thank you very much indeed for the pictures though, I'll add them to the bug report.

Cheers!

12. 37114

37114 Active Member

GWE only has about half the services that actually run on the route.

13. londonmidland

Compared to today’s timetable including everything running out of Paddington it probably only has 25% of trains, if that, represented in TSW.

14. 37114

37114 Active Member

It will be interesting to see what the performance impact would be (if any given that Unreal Engine is pretty good of only loading things when it needs) of having the full timetable in there. Guess we will find out soon with the imminent release of the editor tools

15. londonmidland

One way to test out the performance of the game and engine is if someone makes a fictional scenario for GWE with lots of A.I traffic.

Fictional or not, it’ll make GWE actually feel busy and like a mainline instead of what we have currently, which is a bit of a bore fest.

Certainly be interesting to see the results of this.

16. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

If an old game like OMSI can cope with a 24 hour schedule (just) UE4 can but the engine itself I find is very tempermental.

17. Anthony Pecoraro

TSW does cope with a 24 hour tt.

• Like Like x 1
  18. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

TSW does have a 24 hour timetable, but what surprises me more is that an old game like OMSI had a fully operating PIS system that TSW does not have. I know it’s a completely different engine and development takes time, but still.

19. nextgenlemon

nextgenlemon Member

Not to mention that information systems in trains and way more advanced than in buses, and even in the buses it was based on an old and simplified system, nowhere close to the complexity of systems found today

20. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

TS19 even has a basic form of PIS with destination displays working on the trains. Is that too advanced? I never said the full PIS had to be implemented in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  21. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

At least I didn't get railroaded for comparing the features of another platform but you'd think with todays game engines those things we had for an old outdated engine would of be with the game by now. The service mode will get proper use once the editor comes out, people will probably do the entire schedule. But who knows what we can and can't do with route lengths etc.

But Yeah OMSI has a fully fledged timetable system and can do multiple services all at once, there isn't a time where it felt dead! TSW is great graphically, stunning, performance wise a million times better but I wonder if FPS limitations are a problem, as it seems 60 FPS is achievable but for a busy station like Paddington, rain and rain effects plus shadows eat up FPS.

I dont know, I hope some announcements, and platform displays end up coming, DTG so far are the only ones really push UE4 properly.

22. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Well i think a lot of others devs have "pushed" UE4 far more. They are just using it for something it wasnt originally designed. And with beeing a smaller team they struggle more with getting better at using it and customizing it to their liking in some areas.

For the PIS i dont think engine limitations are the factor that we dont have one,yet. More a dev time -> profit kind of think i would guess.
    UE4 can display those stuff, or other devs found a way to do it, as Fernbus Simulator, Touristbus Simulator and Bus Simulator 2018 are based on UE4 with working displays. I guess the issue is more tied to reading the actual train status and having it all displayed correctly since delays and stuff can happen and the PIS shoud show that, too.

I hope we hear about that in the next Studio Update.

23. Jsunflyguy

Jsunflyguy New Member

I have not seen a timetable wrap around to be "24/7" as Dovetail claims, be it LIRR or anything else. For example you can load the NEC route at 2355 at Newark Liberty. If you waits until 0015 when the first service of the next day is to arrive, it never does.

24. londonmidland

It’s basically a full 24 hour timetable, but only for one day.

Once the day finishes (23:59) no other trains will spawn/appear. Despite it having services advertised throughout the night, there is no transition from day one to the other; (Monday 23:59) to Tuesday (00:01) for example.

You have to go back into the menu and load the service, which makes you think it’s a continuation of the week but in reality it’s just loading the same day from the beginning all over again.

Perhaps eventually there will be a full working 24/7 timetable with the days specified. Who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  25. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I thought this, I wondered if you waited around until say 4AM in the game that the first train would spawn.

26. nextgenlemon

nextgenlemon Member

You have to remember, you saying one thing is absolutely irrelevant when it's Dovetails game, their decisions and their plans.

But no, doing a system as in TS19 is not advanced at all, however TSW is supposed to be 50 levels better than TS19. The basic system in TS19 is the cheap solution which no one would want when we know something else is coming, and I am almost sure it would cause a riot if that was introduced in TSW.
    There is absolutely no point in developing one solution for an information system just for it to be replaced later on, when it isn't a crucial part of the game. I'm sorry, but let's face it... properly working signals are way more important. To support that, we've been told that they are not working on the information system at the moment, because their resources are needed elsewhere for the time being. It's a question of time.

27. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Thing is, as a friend of mine was saying tonight, the standard now is to rush out unfinished games, before it was a bug that was a feature! Now it's a bug that could potentially either CTD or lock up the PC.

So all these things that should of been done before release, it's a shame that there's so many patches to fix the patch - I am old school like many of us here whom used to buy the CD ROM and install it with an exe file now you got STEAM which may or may not download properly and then the actual base game is riddled with bugs, lines of code which somehow got rushed.

28. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

To be fair I can remember buying Star Trek Elite Force on CD many, many moons ago and then some time later downloading a 200-300MB patch through my 33K modem to update it so the concept of a post release patch is not exactly new! :D Mind you the developers did have a lot more time to thoroughly test the patch before it was released.

29. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

CDs aren't old school. I was already building PCs in a Cardiff computer shop when they started to come out. Unless you've installed Windows from 32 floppy disks you're definitely NEW school :)
    On the point of glitches, my memories go back to the late eighties and having to load games from a cassette tape into a machine with 32kb of RAM that crashed constantly. You want glitches? Try BBC Basic

The point now is that people pay a lot of money for games and expect them to work to their standard, flawlessly. And in the rail fan community standards are pretty much sky high...