How To Do An Uphill Start Onto A Steep Gradiant Driving A Dmu?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by westcastlerail, Jan 23, 2019.

1. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi everyone - firstly I must congratulate Dovetail Games on the Trans Pennine route - really enjoying playing it. Have driven the 45 and 47 across the route in both directions without any issues and enjoyed learning the routes in order to run to time.

Last couple of evenings I have been driving the DMU, in the service mode Marsden to Leeds.

I am especially struggling with departing Dewsbury and Batley.

Both lead into a step uphill gradient, and I only can get up to about 20mph in 1st gear when departing from these stations.

If I try any of the other gears then I just a lose momentum and eventually get stuck half way up the hill!

I have tried stopping just onto the platform at Dewsbury, and then use the longer platform (on straight level) to get a bit of run towards the hill, but this doesn't work at Batley due the shorter platform.

I presume this is due to the DMU not being powerful enough to get up the steep hills, but if anyone has a driving tips to get up steep gradients I would be grateful?

(PS ive tried the switching RPM to engine 2 button but this doesn't seem to help - but would be interested to know what this functionality should be used for?)

2. Trains4Days

Trains4Days New Member

Rev the engine first then take the brakes off and should start off

3. westcastlerail

Hi Trains4Days - thanks for the response.
    I am getting going ok from the stations - the problem is that I cannot get above 20mph on the steep hills just after the stations - hence making me late!

4. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

I always find up hill to use each gear as much as possible. For example, use first gear untill u have to change( get the most mph u can), i finid if u dont fully use one gear no point change to the next

5. Trains4Days

Trains4Days New Member

Best advice then is to give all the max rpm and mph as JasonARJ3125 said.
    When I’m driving the 101, my optimum change up speeds are:
    1-2 16-17mph
    2-3 27-28mph
    3-4 40mph

6. hairyscotsman40

hairyscotsman40 Member

Can I ask, is there a button to change gear? I am finding it can take me “too long” to change gear by the time I cut power then move cursor over gear levee to change up and then hit the revs again.

7. jasonpfc

U can change gear on the d-pad. Up amd down buttons

8. westcastlerail

Hi there again ... and thank you to everyone who posted a reply.

I have worked out tonight what the problem was with my driving ... when changing gears!

I was setting the throttle to idle and changing back into gear straight away. This was not giving sufficient time for the gears to engage, so would have been trying to get up the hill in first gear.

Now I’m waiting the 2 seconds with the throttle at idle before applying the throttle back on again, I can now get up the hills in the correct gears at a decent speed!

Easy when know how and I should of read the manual properly!

Still intrigued to know what the switch marked “second unit rpm” button does though on the control panel?

9. jasonpfc

i dont know what has harded to learn, the gears and the braking (both ive now worked out),as for the second unit rmp i dont know what thats for, have affected me at any point so it could just be inactive i really dont know