Lirr Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by xD 2Bad4You, Dec 1, 2018.

1. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Since the release of the new LIRR route i now got some time to dive into the new DLC. So i thought i give a little Feedback about the new route.

Overall i do like the LIRR Route. The M7´s are well made and the branches are giving some variety in Services. But i cant help to get the feeling that this DLC is a bit rushed.

RSN was a Step forward in quality and this one here feels like a little step back.

[Bugs]

Every DLC has its bugs, every game that releases have some of them. Compared to RSN the new Route comes along with more bugs again. There are many reports in the different sub forums about various easy to spot bugs, some of them i already experienced myself.

Bugs like Passengers standing on Tracks, on Station roofs, with the back to the trains, Passengers sinking in the Plattform, glitching out of the Train on the wrong side through closed doors, trains "hitting the stations", a Scenario that cant be completed and more are just a bit too much. Those are pretty obvious bugs and should have been sorted before the release. It just gives the impression that it released earlier than internally planned, and it really shouldnt be in that way. Compared to RSN its a step backwards in quality.

[Performance]

I wanted to do a more in depth analysis of the performance of the new DLC and compare it between the different Xbox One models again, but at this point i probably wont.

I´m playing on the One X and even though the game isnt enhanced it still delivers between 5-10fps more on average. In this DLC i´m driving around with 30fps or lower when there isnt much traffic, not much highly detailed scenery. It drops way more often than the other routes to 15fps or below.
    Since the X gets 5-10fps more on average i havent even bothered to fire it up on my One S / original One.

This release reminds me a lot of the Founders Edition and the there included GWE. It was the same poor performance which got improved with the Full release. WSR, RSN all were at a more solid performance Level.

Dont get me wrong, the game never was performaning great and imo not getting the max out of every Xbox One model due to poor optimizations. But this route performs especially bad imo compared to the progress made since Founders Edition on GWE and released like RSN.

So why going backwards in this release when you already learned a bit about Xbox One optimizations and got it working more solid in other routes? Its not like there´s much more traffic here.

[Conclusion]

For me it feels that LIRR was set to release later and was pushed out for some reason too early. The number of easy to spot Bugs and a performance below any other route make it a step backwards to the quality DTG itself said they wanted to reach after releasing the well received RSN route.

At this point i have to say they have failed to meet their own standard and this release is overall a bit disappointing.

I would really like to see some reaction from DTG where they acknowledge the various problems and giving a clear statement that this Route is still being worked on.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. DeltaNui

DeltaNui New Member

I agree with your review of this route. I’m a little disappointed after enjoying both WSR and RSN. Those routes had the usual quirks and bugs, but felt largely feature complete with good performance. By comparison, LIRR feels rushed, buggy and suffers from poor performance on my original Xbox.

At this point, I don’t get my hopes up for comprehensive documentation but the manual doesn’t even bother to explain signaling at all. There are no speed limit posts or whistle boards, so the player has to rely on the HUD to drive realistically. A lot of controls in the M7 aren’t modeled and they didn’t bother to even do cold start up procedures.

But graphics are the big disappointment. I don’t expect a AAA experience from DTG but the amount of stuttering, pop in and generic building models are too distracting. The world also feels empty since there is no auto traffic. It becomes nearly unplayable at Jamaica; I haven’t experienced such low frame rates since playing FSX on my college laptop.

I hope DTG will have quick turnaround on a patch that addresses this stuff but I think we know the odds of that happening. My recommendation to other players is to skip this route for now.

3. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

You have your good reasons in your feedback and I also love (as my favorite dlc the RSN) but I think LIRR for artistic and graphical quality is in the same level or a bit high of RSN. Train details, drive feeling, "active" option panel features like ATC and Alert system with the sound and graphical indication on the control panel (the cab console) the details of the most important stations (Penn, Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal and the enviropment sounds) and also the details of the tracks (in LIRR route we can admire the best quality tracks of all the game), makes of the LIRR the most advanced DLC of TSW, better also of RSN. But obviously also all not good feedback this dlc has received are real. LIRR has a tons of bugs! So, at moment, as technical work, it made a little step backward. How to defend this? This is the most "complex" (hard to build) route of all the game also, and not only, like a total number of tracks and traffic. If we compared LIRR with NEC, the part of route they have in common (sunnyside junction-new york penn) in LIRR version this looks like almost 2 different generations of videogames. NEC line is very poor of map details and lights. LIRR line is wonderful (tunnel lights and Penn Station lights and sound effects too). I only asking DTG to working in the right direction to fix all "bugs". But the general result in my opinion is already very good.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. xD 2Bad4You

The Level of detail and the M7 cab are pretty good, yes. But cant say there is more Traffic on that Route like in GWE for example. So i cant see the argument that this Route is stressing the hardware more. Its was just rushed. Going through the empty Jamaica station with almost no Trains and no Passengers and just having 20fps is not justified.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

That's strange because im on One X too and my framerate in LIRR dlc looks like solid!!! The only issue I have noticed happen in the 2nd and 3rd section of the tunnel under Penn station (only if you drive from Penn to Sunnyside/Jamaica direction and only in 1st departures tunnel of 2, there are 2 tunnels to arrivals and 2 tunnels to departures) if you run at indicated speed (about 100km/h) the 2nd and/or 3rd section of tunnel, or tunnel junction, dont loading the textures and you can see the "landscapes" over your head, there are a lot of trees :\ if you drive slowly (30km/h) the tunnel loading work fine. I hope they fix it.

Other minor issues are the route signals: I meet a lot of yellow signals also when in my Hub I have the green. Passengers over the tracks only in the bugged Scenario (Race Day Run).

Maybe I have to pay more attention but AI trains traffic is similar to RSN and a bit less if comparated with GWE. I played about 10 Services (I purchased LIRR just yesterday) and I dont noticed all these big difference about the traffic. Usually at Jamaica I meet 1 or 2 AI trains, at NY Penn the same, 1 almost ever, sometimes, rarely 2. Along the route I meet always from 2 to 4 AI train in about 30 or 40km of route. Maybe the Atlantic branch (in the game) have less AI traffic (or maybe I noticed less traffic 'cause good part of the line run under the tunnel). Penn, Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal (all tunnels included) in my opinion are superbs and the light effects are superbs too.

If DTG (techically) can add more AI trains they are welcome!!! In GWE for example the main stations are not detailed or advanced for details and lights (and light effects too) like in LIRR, And Trains and tracks too, imo. Also the landscape (poor in all train simulation games) looks like a bit better (I mean about houses and building... trees are always very good, in all TSW dlcs, but in LIRR we can see, not in the 100% of the route but in a good part of it, the best graphical impact)

Edit: I suppose all AI trains we meet along the route are all trains that we use as Service. DTG have no add some AI trains randomly just to cover the route when we drive: that's happen only in the Scenarios (like for example the double locos ACS64 train who we meet in NEC Scenario, this is not a NEC Service). The reason why GWE has more traffic is because GWE has more Services (13 Class 66 Services, about 160 Class 166 Services, about 100 Class 43 HST Service against the about 180 Services of LIRR), and all these Services run to east to ovest in a straight route/line. LIRR its different 'cause has 3 main directions: from Jamaica to Penn, from Jamaica to Hichsville and from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal (without mention the part from Floral Park to Hempstead). There are about 10 or 11 Service who start every hour. And someone of them cover a very short part of route (or hidden part of route if your train run in a different branch). Thats the reason why sometimes we can be unlucky and meet very few AI trains along our journey/service. So, sometimes happen that from Penn to Jamaica I meet 3 or 4 AI trains, sometimes only 1 or 2. Thats also the reason why its not too easy to meet 1 or 2 AI trains stopped to the main Stations (also 'cause usually our train stop just for 20 seconds). To increase the number of traffic DTG have to adds many new "main" Services. Actually we have 180 Services but a good part of them cover only secondary branches, or again, run from deposit to the next (starting service) station.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

Definitely need more AI Trains on the mainline Penn to Hicksville and Atlantic Terminal to Hemstead Add the M3 because Is so boring and lonely without it being with the M7. We definitely need approximate time Schedule for all trains when they coming on time or might be delayed. Destination signs on the train and stations announcements it would make more realistic to Train lovers

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Is there free roam mode on xbox ?

8. xD 2Bad4You

There currently isnt free roam for TSW on any plattform. You can play Scenarios (around 5 per route) and then Service mode. But you cant just take the loco and rolling stock you want to drive where you want. In Service Mode you always have to drive the way the game wants you to.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

If I fall off the platform at Jamaica how do I climb back up onto the platform? Can't jump.

10. xD 2Bad4You

There are steps along the platforms occasionally. Go a bit over the track and you should come across those steps to get back at the platform.

11. michael.j.meliambro

michael.j.meliambro Member

My ONLY complaint concerning this route is that Dovetail didn't include the M3 units so that motive power would've at least been more diverse. Maybe down the road, the new M9's might make a nice DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

I hope they Add The M3 to the LIRR Route it deserves that or The Metro North Route if they do that in the near future. The M9 is cool it just a upgraded version of the M7 so I’m not that excited about them. The M8 are amazing too bad they used only on one route which is the new Haven line.

• Like Like x 1