PC Do We Really Want The 800/802 And 387 For Gwe?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bacon_BMW, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

There have been several posts in the proposal section about the addition of these into the game. However, the quality of GWE (at least in my experiences) sucks. My though process is instead of using resources to put good trains in a bad route, we wait until the next cycle and get a Class 91 and a Class 700 for example on an improved ECML. Again, just a thought I had, and I just want to see what you guys think. (Of course, another option is to update the GWML, but I don't see that happening any time soon).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

GWE is a very good route. How is it bad?

• Like Like x 2
  3. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I have to say I thoroughly disagree that GWE quality sucks although it does have issues. In fact I feel it's one of the better DLC. Certainly far superior to RT.

I do however agree that 80x and 387 are impracticable on GWE given that it's set in mid 2015. 387s are already used on other UK routes and 80x are due to appear on the ECML . I'm sure both will appear in due course either from DTG or a third party developer once the editor is finally released.

• Like Like x 2
  4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The route has drastically changed and is a lot different compared to the version we have in Train Sim World.

A lot has changed including track layouts, electrification, speeds, platform and station layouts and more.

As mentioned, if we want an 800 and 387 in TSW, then we’ll have to wait for a third party developer to release an updated version of the Paddington to Reading route.

Bearing in mind, seeing as Crossrail works are still on-going to this day, it’d be a good idea to wait until all works have been complete. Then the route can be developed and future proofed for a long while.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I think it's a very good route, although it has some drawbacks (e.g. no flashing yellows). It was the second route to be released for TSW, and the first passenger route. They had to invent lots of things, and many of the things found in newer routes had yet to be built for GWE.

I wouldn't be against a modern take of the ECML London - Petersborough, as this could include a Hitachi 801, Thameslink 700, and maybe some freight like the Class 66 or maybe a Class 88 :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think the ECML London to Peterborough route would require too many trains.

A new TSW DLC ususally comes with three new trains, maximum. Also note you cannot re-use the GWR HST as it is completely different.

So, if we want it as it operates to the current day, we’ll need:
    - LNER HST
    - LNER 91
    - Class 800*
    - Class 700
    - Class 313/707/365
    - Class 180
    - Class 170 (Peterborough end)
    - Class 158 (Peterborough end)

The only train that can be re-used is the Class 66. As you can see there is a lot required in order for it to realistically have the same amount of traffic in real life.

7. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Valid points, but then again the German routes see all sorts of different rollingstock as well, yet they decided to only feature 2-3 unique locomotives on those routes. London to Peterborough is also a massive route, and from what we've seen, it doesn't seem like DTG is willing to create longer routes, so that idea is thrown out the window.

8. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

We don't need all that stock: GWE has no Heathrow, Crossrail or SWR trains and I've never read complaints about the route not being "realistic" for that reason.

A "2020" ECML would need the Class 387, Class 700 and Class 800/801 to be representative for the majority of passenger services on that route. A 717 would also be nice, if it's feasible to build those based on the 700. London termini could be Kings Cross and Moorgate, with the Canal Tunnels to St.P being player-inaccessible.

The biggest problem with London - Peterborough is route length: at 122 km it's double the average route length of a TSW route. Cutting the route in half isn't going to be a realistic option either, there are few stations en-route which could be a logical stopping point. Who wants London - Stevenage? Unless Dovetail can find a way to slash route building time in half, it's not gonna happen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I also think the GWE is one of the better routes and feels reasonably busy but I would like some more stock for it and I still think the 166 is too quiet.. Personally I would like them to update it a year or two further on so we could have the class 387's running maybe to Maidenhead (as I think they did for an interim period). I don't really like the random gantries here and there although I know that is what it looked when they researched it.

10. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

GWE can’t support electric trains. The catenary is just scenery assets unlike the newer routes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Ah okay thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

A favourite mainline for me as its the first one I travelled on to visit a lovely lady one time before I F'd it up loool!

Having an HST travel that far out just was new to me as the most id seen is at speed by Ealing Broadway. What is missing is just station announcements on the 166 but branch lines to Windsor and Greenford would of been nice as it offered a little more.

But DTG wont return to GWE it would be up to us as a community to expand on it if we could access cooked content.

An 800 with faster acceleration would make this 35 minute route even less, we would need an extension to at least Swindon or Bristol to feel like its going somewhere.

But we're seeing continued enhancements for TSW so Im hopeful once the editor is out, we can expand! If Berlin can be done in 1:1 scale in Unreal then hey, a 122 mile route is more than capable

• Like Like x 1