After Diesel Physics: Fixing Rapid Transit

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by raildan, Feb 28, 2019.

1. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I know this thread probably won't be noticed- much less actually done- by anyone at DTG, but I would like to point out a possible way to fix this whole new-loco-on-RT mess.

I'm proposing, quite simply, that you fix Rapid Transit.

My proposal is a bit more In-depth, however, as I understand that you are limited by DLC development. Big problems require big fixes, in this case a complete re-signalling of the route. Thankfully, you have a nice, perfect time slot just opening up in which you can fix Rapid Transit- Simultaneously while developing DLC, some team of people somewhere have been working hard at diesel locomotive physics. That job is almost over, and that opens up an opportunity to begin a new improvement in its place- in this case, Rapid Transit.

In other words, instead of loco physics in the updates (now that those are done), we get updates on how this is going (small updates, since admittedly there's not much to show).

The Rapid Transit updates could contain the following, in order of importance (ranging from crucial to only if you get bored):
    • PZB fixes, both on the route and on the trains, by backporting the system used in RSN and MSB.
    • Improve crossings and catenary masts
    • Service mode enhancement. Add services representing other lines to make the route a bit busier.
    • Fix the last scenario (it's completable, but it acts weird around Leipzig-Messe)
    Related projects that have already been brought up:
    • Add destination boards to trains
    • Add road traffic

So, that's what I would suggest, and I'm sure the community will agree. But why should you guys at DTG care? What's in it for you? Well...
    • More good PR. The studio updates for the diesel physics has definitely helped my confidence in the company.
    • More BR 182 sales. Many people, including myself, will not buy a loco for a broken route, no matter how good the loco is. The loco will sell a LOT better once the route is fixed. I'd expect a very large spike in sales for this particular DLC. See this thread- the results are clear: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/182-yes-or-no-vote.15147
    • The Talent 2 and Taurus will be made compatible with the new PZB system, allowing them to be added into future routes quicker and easier.
    • More Rapid Transit purchases- yes, there are still some people out ther who bought the game before last July and don't have Rapit Transit. There are probably some holding off because they've heard that the route is broken. You would probably see some more sales after this.
    • More DLC sales overall. People would be more willing to buy new DLC if they know that issues in them will eventually be fixed.
    Basically, this would have the same benefits that the diesel-electric improvements provide, but on a larger scale. While accurate diesels are important, many people value the signaling system over the physics as long as the physics are bearable, which they are, for the most part (US loco physics seem a bit further off from reality at the moment, the impact when those are released might be slightly higher).

Physics are important, but subtle. Punktförmige Zugbeeinflussung is anything but subtle.

Also, this is the only DLC in the base game that has not or is not about to have a major update. Having not just one, but ALL of the base routes have fixes will give the customers even more confidence in future DLC.

So, in conclusion, even if you don't fix RT, just know that you're missing out. If you do, I'm looking forward to buying the Taurus, and enjoying a route for the first time in 2 years, even if I should have been able to enjoy it a long, long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 15
  2. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but have a lot of doubt that that will actually happen. Which is quite a shame, because I really would like to be driving a Taurus.

• Like Like x 4
  3. raildan

Yup... I'm doubtful too. Also think the Taurus would be cool to drive, but don't think DTG will listen.

Worth a shot, though

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Dmitri When the class 182 comes out will there also be a patch for Rapid Transit.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

On Discord he said there isn't going to be a fix at least as far as he knows :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nick Saes

Nick Saes New Member

The 5 car veriant has a different roof structure (more electrical equipement/cables) , so just adding a car is inaccurate

7. raildan

Yeah, but I'm already stretching this suggestion quite a bit. I think if I suggest they should model anything new for this update they'd completely freak out, lol.

Actually, I'm completely removing that part, now that you mention it. That's not what they should be focusing on in this update.

8. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

PZB patch or nothing!

9. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with raildan. I really like the taurus but i want to enjoy it on a route that is up to the standards that RSN & MSB have set.

• Like Like x 2
  10. raildan

Updated (a couple times, actually) to tweak the suggestions to fix RT (trying to keep the workload down for DTG while improving the route the most) and adding a link to a poll as evidence.

• Like Like x 2
  11. raildan

Bit of an old thread here, and by no means do I think this thread in particular drew any attention from DTG, but hey- case closed!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

This actually is coming true!