Is It Possible To Make Mods To Payware Content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ethan TX, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Ethan TX

Ethan TX New Member

Hi;
    I believe that some of the speed limits on the Hudson Line add-on are incorrect. Is there a way to change it?

Thanks
    ET

2. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

You are allowed to make mods to payware content as the community have been doing it for years such as reskins, unofficial route patches and extensions. If I have this right, you can make mods for the game as long as no profit is being earned from the mod. This is not comprehensive as some companies and authors do make payware routes, trains and scenario packs for train simulator which I assume special conditions would apply to those? I don't know as I have never made commercial payware content and nor would I be interested in doing so as I like to share my work with everyone.

What you wish to do for the Hudson Line would be deemed okay for freeware as it would be classified as an unofficial patch :).

I hope that helps
    All the best.

3. Ethan TX

Ethan TX New Member

Thanks. Now, if only I could figure out how to do this. I have never been able to do any route building in TS, but maybe simple mods might be a bit easier...

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you release your mod as a mod for the original route (ie they will need to pay for and download the original) then there isn't a problem.

If you take someone else's work, make minor changes and then sell the full thing as a working DLC then that would be different.

An example would be brake fixes for the class 180. You need the 180 before you can use the fix etc.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you change the speeds on Any DTG Route and it gets updated by Steam then you would lose your mods.
    So start by going in to Build > find the route and Highlight it > then Clone the Route and Scenarios.
    Just call it Hudson Line - MOD - or something like that.
    Any changes you make to your Mod version will not be affected by a Steam update
    Next have a watch of this -
    Yes it says 2014 but the way it works has not changed.

Peter