Greetings From Usa

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by insearchof1956, Mar 20, 2019.

1. insearchof1956

insearchof1956 New Member

So I am new to this but have been wanting a Train simulator for awhile, the recent sale last week made this a no brainier. Is there a group of committed TS people out there like ETS2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

I was shy of train simulators for a few years fearing that a combination of computers and trains would prevent me from ever getting anything useful done again. I may have been right.

You'll find just such a group here and in the Steam Discussion pages- people willing to share their experience, technical knowledge and in many cases anecdotes about working on railways for real. You might also find a few people who should be committed and, especially in Steam, the occasional troll slouching out from under their bridge to try and get a rise out of some nerds but we ignore them.

3. RailWorkshop

RailWorkshop Member

There are many people at RailWorksAmerica Forums, you can check out.

4. insearchof1956

insearchof1956 New Member

Thanks so another big question...is there something I am missing. I am not getting scored or XP! There is nothing in my Standard folder and how do I get Steam Workshop add ons for the routes I have. It seems you have to buy so much just to get an add on to work....kinda sucks!

5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I don't have the TS2019 bundle so this is a bit of a guess but, as it is made up of newer routes, there may only be Career scenarios for them. Are you using Expert controls? I think you need to to accrue points. You can switch between Easy and Expert controls in the settings- on my iPad so I can't be more specific but I'd guess it's under Gameplay. Don't let the name put you off- Expert controls are just less restrictive and, in some respects, easier to use for that reason.

I have something of a bee in my bonnet about the Workshop's search function. Search for a route and it will list every scenario that uses that route including scenarios for other routes that use any of its assets. Another approach is to run searches for named locations on the route you are interested in which will return more relevant results but doesn't exclude scenarios that require other assets and depends on the target scenario having a detailed description for the search function to refer to (though most scenarists are quite scrupulous about providing a description for their efforts- if you're lucky they'll include a list of DLC requirements). Either approach is pretty tiresome especially when you consider that Steam knows what DLC you have and how hard could it be to use that information in a search...

Anyway- once you have a list of results there's nothing else for it but to plough through. Click on any you find interesting and look at the "tags" to the right of the picture which should list the assets you need to run it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019