Route Siggestion, Sheffield - Doncaster

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by byeo, Mar 20, 2019.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Route
    At just under 20 miles in length, the Sheffield to Doncaster Midland Main Line route passes right through the heart of South Yorkshire with service stopping at:

Sheffield
    Opened in 1870 by Midland Railway and designed by John Holloway Sanders. Sheffield station is a combined railway station and tram stop. The station is managed by East Midlands Trains.

Meadowhall Interchange
    Meadowhall Interchange links heavy rail, Sheffield Supertram, bus and coach services with the Meadowhall shopping centre. Opened in 1990 replacing Brightside station one mile down the line back towards Sheffield.
    upload_2019-3-20_18-56-16.jpeg

Rotherham Central
    Rotherham Central opened in 1874 and is the only station in the town following the closure of Rotherham Masborough in 1988.
    upload_2019-3-20_18-58-24.jpeg

Swinton (South Yorkshire)
    Opened in 1840, Swinton is a three platform station and lies at the junction of the former North Midland Railway main line and the former South Yorkshire Railway line.

Mexborough
    Serving the former mining town, located 7 miles south west of Doncaster. Mexborough won the 2011 small station of the year award at the national rail awards.
    upload_2019-3-20_18-56-44.jpeg

Conisbrough
    Just under 5 miles from Doncaster, Conisbrough station opened on 10thNovember 1849. To the north east of the station between the river don and conisbrough tunnel is a branch lay over line used for freight and express services to pass.

Doncaster
    Located on the east coast main line, linking Doncaster with London Kings Cross and operated by LNER. The station opened in 1849 boasting 8 platforms.

Doncaster Decoy Yard (Freight)

Trains
    Northern Rail Class 150 - Northern Rail terminate their services at Doncaster though some continue to Adwick, Beverley, Bridlington and Hull.
    upload_2019-3-20_18-55-18.jpeg

TransPennine Express Class 185 Desiro - TransPennine Express begin their services from Manchester International Airport or Manchester Piccadilly and through to Sheffield, Doncaster, terminating at Cleethorpes.
    upload_2019-3-20_18-55-36.jpeg

BR Class 66 - For the freight side of the route, we could include Doncaster Decoy Yard which is just south of Doncaster station on the ECML which would add a bit more length to what is a short route.

I apologise for some stations missing a picture. For some reason I can only upload so many so I went with what I thought were more interesting. Anyway, this is my suggestion for a route, I live locally to this route and have travelled on it since I was a kid. It might not be the longest (far from it actually) but I think it would be nice addition to the TSW lineup.

**looks like I’m having issues with some images, namely the trains. Not sure what’s happening

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 19
  2. ironfan

ironfan New Member

count me in for this route

3. iamtherealsuperman

iamtherealsuperman New Member

A million percent yes on this. Although I wouldn't like to be the one modelling Meadowhall shopping centre.

4. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I too like the idea, there are drawbacks though as there is no start and finish to the route, no depot facilities and no actual freight loading / unloading points on the direct route which would mean picking up a freight train at Doncaster and getting off it at Swinton (as most would fork left at Masborough) the vast majority of trains that go that route (most avoid Doncaster entirely going via Hexthorpe or the south curve

5. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

There's a Northern DMU depot at Sheffield and a GBRF and DB depot at Doncaster, plus masses of freight yards at Doncaster and Doncaster Wabtec works, plus the scrapyard at Rotherham. That's enough for me. Although I would like all of the mainline and the Rotherham loop included.

I'd be glad to see this route in the sim :)

6. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I think Sheffield only has a signing on point, no maintenance or wash facilities. Neville Hill is where all the units go for attention. I wasn’t aware of the GBRf facility but the DB depot is south on the ECML, the route said Doncaster to Sheffield.

don’t get me wrong, I like the idea it’s just seems very limited to what you can do

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chris-penny

chris-penny Active Member

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/members/chris-penny.18293/
    Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! I love this route. One of my absolute faves! Spent many hours at Meadow Hall Inter and Sheffield when train we're cancelled. This could also be a great attachment to another suggested route, Sheffield to Derby/Leicester, where trains can run right up Derbyshire and through South-Yorshire.
    Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! I love this route. One of my absolute faves! Spent many hours at Meadow Hall Exchange and Sheffield when trains we're cancelled. This could also be a great attachment to another suggested route, Sheffield to Derby/Leicester, where trains can run right up Derbyshire and through South-Yorshire. Please TrainSim-Matt DTG Protagonist DTG Natster DTG Jamie look a thtis route for development it would be a great asset to the Sim. A good northern British, modern route is what Train Sim World needs.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  8. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

I live in Sheffield, there is definitely at least some light maintenance although it could possibly just be cleaning, but there is a tiny shed and stabling point. You are right that heavy maintenance is done in Leeds. The GBRF depot is on the approach to Doncaster from the Sheffield direction.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Z477Ar1geexgiHxU6

https://images.app.goo.gl/vYWtY9StyHjUncNe6

This route would have express passenger, local passenger, freight, yards and also the mainline plus the loop around Rotherham which could feature the tram train too. That's as much, if not more operational interest as we get with many other routes that have been released.

9. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Sheffield to Doncaster is a pretty short route and doesn’t offer much replay ability. Around 25 mins for the express services and 35 mins for the stopping services end to end.

There isn’t much opportunity for freight either as the majority of it doesn’t go through Sheffield.

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Now Sheffield to York via the classic route through Pontefract Baghill, set in the early 70's before cross country services first started running via Normanton, then Doncaster would be good. Throw in the Aire valley collieries and power stations out to Drax and you would have the UK equivalent of Clinchfield, packed with stuff to do. Most of the traction already exists in game, depending on time period of course.

• Like Like x 1