Train Sim World 4 – California Dreaming & Pc Editor

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Sep 7, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Senior Community Manager Staff Member

[​IMG]

Train Sim World 4 is coming September 26th and with it, the ability to dream big and play your way. In this article we introduce more about the exciting new PC Editor (beta) and cover everything you need to know about Antelope Valley Line – our latest foray into California railroading.

Our journey through California continues with passenger services, a cab car and a powerful, streamlined locomotive. Fans of California railroading may recognise the sun-kissed setting akin to our previous Peninsula Corridor and Cajon Pass routes and in many ways Antelope Valley Line is a happy marriage between the two.

Read our Train Sim World 4 – California Dreaming & PC Editor article!

Antelope Valley Line Preview Stream
    Starting tonight at 18:00 UTC / 19:00 BST

Metrolink EMD F125 Showcase

Article Images
    The Route: Los Angeles – Lancaster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Metrolink EMD F125

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rotem Commuter Cars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Services, Layers and other features

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC Editor (Beta)
    For the first time ever in Train Sim World, skilled and ambitious players on Steam and Epic will be able get creative and craft their own Scenarios, design their own trains and even build the routes they’ve always dreamed of with access to the PC Editor (beta).

In the first of this week’s live streams, the Railfan TV team brought in Junior Software Engineer Will Kaye to discuss the power of this feature and how both Steam and Epic players will be able to utilise the same functions and tools that our Development Team use to make our in-game content.

If you missed the live stream, you can rewatch over on YouTube and see Matt and Will demonstrate:

• Landscaping
    • Track Laying
    • Route & Scenery Building
    • Placing a Train
    • Track Markers
    • Play In Editor function
    • And many questions answered!

The PC Editor (beta) will be available for Steam and Epic players to download from the Epic Games Store for free from launch day - 26th September 2023.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I'm confused on the layering. So it says BNSF from Cajon, unless you have Sherman Hill/Cane Creek, then UP will sub in. So if we have both installed, will I only see UP trains? Or is it mixed? Do I have to uninstall Cajon if I only want UP trains to appear?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The way it's worded, with the word " instead " used, those of us who own Sherman Hill and Cane Creek will get the correct UP freight locos instead of BNSF, whereas others will get BNSF only. If you own Sherman Hill but don't own Cane Creek you will get some of both. That's how I read it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  4. Blacknred81

Yet the preview images show the mixing of both, which is why it's confusing.

5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Right, I edited my post to reflect that mixture, if you own Sherman Hill, but not Cane Creek.

Maybe DTG Alex could offer a clarifying statement??

6. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Route looks nice

• Like Like x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

You need to have Cajon Pass installed to activate the layer. Without it, you will not see any freight services.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If the line is operated by UP (it certainly used to be SP) why are the freight services layered in as BNSF anyway? I believe this point has been raised in the pre stream thread and will hopefully be answered. AFAIK, all BNSF traffic is routed from Barstow via Cajon Pass and San Bernadino.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It depends on how they set up the substitution. If they configured it to have a 100% chance of the substitution happening, it will always substitute the BNSF loco with something else. They probably took the screenshot by starting a service, and in that case they manually picked the (BNSF) front loco (the player always chooses the loco in service mode). The second loco (UP) was automatically selected by substitution.

Still, this is a great question for the stream today.

10. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Because probably more than 90% of the players that bought TSW3 bought it with Cajon Pass. Doing it this way allows most players to have freight in the route without causing any harm to those that also have Sherman Hill and/or Cane Creek that can still get the real life accurate UP services.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Blacknred81

If that's the case then that's disappointing, for a line that sees UP freight, we shouldn't need a route that is BNSF to activate the layers.

US freight gets the shaft again....

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well they could have just included UP locos with the new route, given it's part of the flagship launch!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Blacknred81

Honestly, maybe even added in the Maxi IVs as default stock for the route (Painted in the fake TTX colors) so that way we wouldn't need another route for layers. THEN add layers for the AC44 from Cane Creek, and the BNSF MAXI IVs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Agreed. They did the best they can do using layers (which is probably a decision that comes from the beancounters), but what you are saying also makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I hope I can drive the BNSF locos for the services as they are better modelled than the UP locos. Much better in the case of the Cane Creek things. I don’t mind them all being UP for AI trains I just know what I would rather be driving, the better loco. I could not install the UP routes for a while I suppose if it isn’t the case.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

The player can always choose what he drives in service mode, so yes, you will be able to choose the BNSF loco to drive it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Blacknred81

Hell, honestly it probably wouldn't of been too much work to convert the BNSF ES44C4 to a UP ES44AC, at least then we would of had a UP loco with better handing than Sherman Hill.
    up-5400-diesel-locomotive-in-tehachapi-es44ac-wernher-krutein.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

Train Sim Work In Progress 4, blyatь! (cringe)

19. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Nice to see the UP SD70Ace and AC44, the BNSF Gevo and SF F7. And perhaps the UP SD 40's arrive too.

And after what Matt said in the stream the possibility is very high, that there will be a MP36 and Bombardier BiLevel add on later. Same with the Surfliner most likely with the Siemens Charger probably with a new route.

20. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Are there ET44's on that route in real too? If yes, would it be so difficult to develop it further from the NS Gevo as base?

21. Blacknred81

ET44s would need more development vs a regular Gevo, as they have slightly longer frames and a completely different long hood. There is also the case of straight vs angled exhausts on the ET44 which I haven't found a pic comparing the 2.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how many freight services there are? Do they run when passenger services are scheduled or do they avoid any possible conflict with Metrolink by running at odd hours?

23. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

IMG_6644.jpeg
    8 services
    Don’t know how they mesh with Metrolink services.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It is really 4, but they are divided in part 1 and part 2.
    Hope there will be at least some more AI services, because this does not seem enough to me.

• Like Like x 2
  25. amtraknick1993

amtraknick1993 Well-Known Member

He made zero mention of Amtrak Chargers and Surfliner stuff coming "probably with a new route." This is strictly speculation and hope. The MP36 and bi-levels are likely coming as DLC at some point.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. amtraknick1993

amtraknick1993 Well-Known Member

The view from inside the cabcar when "sitting" in the seat is a bit too high. You're usually sitting a little lower. Unlikely to change at this point. Is there a way to change how high or low you "sit" by adjusting camera settings?

The screenshots also look very pretty and extremely high quality yet this wasn't reflected in the stream yesterday. Everything seemed on a far lower graphics setting and didn't look anywhere close to this good. One can hope Matt had his graphics settings turned down. I've always played with high graphics settings so I certainly hope the quality at least comes close as to what's shown in these screenshots.

27. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Interesting that some of the freight says it goes from LATC but they said in the stream the big goods yard isn't modelled, so presumably it goes from just outside?

• Like Like x 1
  28. meMC83

meMC83 Guest

I’m disappointed the yard isn’t modelled.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

My favorite picture from this article.

30. csxfan200000

csxfan200000 Member

"All the leaves are brown (all the leaves are brown) And the sky is gray (and the sky is gray)"

31. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

Woah, I just realized the devs put the best stuff on Earth in the game: Snapple! That hot dog cart image shows cold soda, water, and Snapple.

Edit: for those not exposed to US ads, Snapple's slogan for the longest time has been "made from the best stuff on Earth"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023