PC Route Knowledge

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mkdog45, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any sites for route knowledge as I want to drive without the hub. I mainly want it for the great western mainline. I watched PTG Rail video but he drives in the HST so does get any of the stopping services and speed limits in. S if you know a place to get route knowledge or if you have made some gwe, let me know.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not that I've seen in TSW. I believe PTG did his own route mapping prior to record so maybe you could do that too

3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I have access to the track diagrams for the route but I can't share them as the copyright belongs to the company that produced them. What I can tell you is that a lot the of signalling, speedlimits, gradients and trackside signage is incorrect, so a real world track map wouldn't be much help anyway.

Best thing to do is to find a few services you enjoy, drive them, and make notes with pen and paper as you go. You could even do route learning as they do in the real world, just sit in the second man's seat, let the sim drive the train, and make notes as you go.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ARuscoe

This wouldn't do you much good maybe... I know in TSx that AI trains are driven on "physics light mode" so as to reduce processing power so an AI driven train would have much less fluid acceleration and braking characteristics compared to a human one.
    The way I've considered doing this is to work out braking distances at relevant speeds in relevant consists and then work backwards from the stopping points, so yes, notes required but maybe not with AI driving

• Like Like x 2
  5. Digital Draftsman

It's mainly for identifying the speed limits and signals on the route, so you can sit there with a cup of tea not having to worry about driving. But as you say, for things like braking distances, you need to practice whilst actually driving.

• Like Like x 2
  6. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Mkdog45

8. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Not a chance. I don't have intimate knowledge of that route, not even close.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mkdog45

10. Digital Draftsman

I'd be much more inclined to create a guide for GWE if it wasn't broken and it actually reflected the infomation I have on the real route. There's a weird bug with the TPWS, there's no implementation of ATP and the signals lack flashing aspects (so you only have three aspects instead of five) resulting in signalling which is completely unrealistic for the route. There are also speed boards and other lineside signs missing. Altogether it means you can't drive the route realistically, so there's little point in developing a guide.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

You CAN create a guide to the route we have in game, even if it's not the route that ever existed in real life. I realise you are the sort who wants an accurate reflection but that's not relevant to the creation of a guide to what IS playable

12. 37114

37114 Active Member

Search YouTube for 'cab rides'. There are loads.

13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Why dont you drive with the hud then take snaps of the route say a mile out from various stopping points. I drive the HST hudless knowing all the speed restrictions. Driving the 166 will ve challenging as many of the stations look similar. Suppose one of the big clues you might get is being switched from a fast to slow line.

14. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Gutted theres no ATP

• Like Like x 1
  15. Digital Draftsman

If a guide was created it would be more of a bug list than a guide.

The purpose of TSW is to simulate the reality of driving a train in greater detail than any train sim before; But If DTG are just making up signalling systems, neglecting signage and omitting safety systems, it's hardly a simulation. The issues are not minor either.

You can't even drive the route correctly as it is. You'll frequently end up late because the signalling is missing the two flashing aspects, but it's still implemented as if it had all the required aspects. In reality the squence of signals would be:

Green - Flashing Double Yellow - Double Yellow - Flashing Single Yellow - Single Yellow - Red

Every time you see a yellow in TS you have to assume it's preceeding a red (because it might be), when often it's preceeding another yellow, because TSW doesn't have the flashing yellow aspects. So you're slowing to stop after every yellow signal, where as with a flashing aspect you wouldn't be. The result is that you end up late. If they don't have the technical ability to implement flashing yellow aspects, they should have just implemented a standard three aspect arrangement which, whilst not reflecting reality, would at least function well enough to allow you to keep to the timetable.

Speedboards are often either missing completely, or they're missing an associated advance warning indicator, so you can be driving along at 90mph and with no warning a speedboard for 70mph appears, or sometimes the speedlimit changes without any sign at all.

Also the TPWS makes brake demands seemingly arbitrarily, so you can be driving along quite happily and then out of no where the train is in emergency. To avoid this you have to disable the AWS, so the only safety system left is the DSD. So out of TPSW, AWS, ATP and the DSD, only one is usable, others are either bugged or not implemented.

It's supposed to be a next generation simulator, yet it's missing features which we've had for years in Railworks. It also makes writing a guide difficult, because almost every aspect of the game has some caveat which needs explaining.

If DTG release a real cracker of a British route, on the same level as RSN, I'll probably put together a guide for it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Same level as MSB. Its a shame really, this is a really good route with allsorts going on. Just let down by the timing,with the Rapid Transit loco and the perceived delay of an editor.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  17. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I've seen some garbage posted by you DD but this proves you have no idea.

Flashing yellows only ever appear when you are being diverted off the line you are on, to a junction at a lower speed than you are currently travelling along. And then you can still get "steady yellows" to slow down.

If you are doing 125 and 2 steady yellows appear, then it's hard on the brakes, as has been the case since day 1. Delays right there but it happens every day, and is a reason drivers are always on the ball.

The maximum line speed takes into account the limitations of the fastest travelling, brake force capable unit on the line. Yeah, delays occur, but only if something ahead slows too quickly or if you are slightly early.

Nothing you imply actually occurs if you are doing the "job", TPWS demands etc and most of the security-based features and signage is missing as it should be...

Oh, and I checked, this isn't the "baseless speculation" thread. Apart from your drivel that is.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Digital Draftsman

If you can't see the issue with missing flashing yellows, then that's fine. If they serve no purpose and have no impact on train operations, one wonders why they even bother having them in reality...

I'm fed up with personal attacks on this forum. I never attack anyone personally, in fact I rarely even downvote unless a post contains profanity. Anyway, I'll take my 'garbage' and 'drivel' elsewhere, as quite frankly I've had enough.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 37114

37114 Active Member

Absolutely zero need to be rude.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Bye!

• Like Like x 4
  21. ARuscoe

If a route guide to the real life line was created it wouldn't apply to the game
    If a route guide to the game was created then it would be useful for those wanting to play the game without the HUD

Yes there are bugs. We know. We play the game.

• Like Like x 3
  22. nacnud117

nacnud117 New Member

I really wish for a working EbuLa for the german routes, with that you could pretty much perfectly run the routes without HUD or outside assistance (requiring some route knowledge).

23. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Thats the timetable info on the right hand
    screen?

24. nacnud117

nacnud117 New Member

Yes, together with that and the Streckenkilometertafeln (White panels with numbers, top is kilometer and bottom is meter x100) next to the rails, you could perfectly drive without any HUD at all.

25. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Would be good. I can do it with freight as the signals bring the train into Germunden or Ashaffenburg.

26. nacnud117

nacnud117 New Member

I really question why DTG didn't make a simple scrollable version available BUT I have found a extremely helpful EBuLa mod for MSB and RSN.

Also, I think this is a new one for me but I think I got hit by lightning?! EBuLa on th right, notice the red zigzags on the HUD, came with spinning and crazy dials, making me unable to determine speed, would only go away after lowering and rising the panto, as well as closing MCB again after that. Was a weird situation.

Attached Files:

27. Mkdog45

The red zig zag lines are wheel slip.

28. nacnud117

nacnud117 New Member

Was my first idea, as I have experienced it before on that route with a heavy cargo train.
    Thing is, not only wheel and power were going wild, all displays were. 0 traction and using brakes didn't change anything.

I lowered and rose the panto, re-connecting the MCB, while driving at around 70, which fixed the proble.

29. Mkdog45

30. jumpjet

jumpjet Active Member

Your biggest boost to tea drinking capacity is to ensure SIFA/DSD is disabled ;)