Uk Stadler Flirt

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Wivenswold, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In May the first of Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt 3 units will enter service. Already a favourite with enthusiasts the Swiss-built trains will revolutionise travel in East Anglia.

Class 745 (top photo). 20 of these 12 car EMUs (the longest Stadler Flirt built) will be split into 2 sub-fleets. 10 with a Buffet and First Class will replace the Class 90 hauled mk3 sets on Norwich - Liverpool Street services. The other ten will be Standard Class throughout and provide Stansted Express services, releasing the Class 379s to work along side the Class 720 Aventras on Inner suburban "West Anglia" services.

Class 755 (bottom photo). 14 x 3 car Standard Class BMUs and 24 x 4 car BMUs make up the rest of the Stadler fleet on GA. These will operate the rural lines of East Anglia and some London - Norwich services in multiple. They have a small power car that allows the train to switch, on the move, from OHL to diesel.

Why a TS Version.
    The natural choice for new tech would surely be Train Sim World for these units but they would be of great use in TS too. According to reports from the drivers training on these things, they are wonderful to drive, lots of power, impressive acceleration (even in Diesel mode) and an amazing view through that large windscreen. They will be the only stock on the Wherry Lines route and Great Eastern Main Line will benefit hugely from their presence. Not only East Anglia though.

South Wales Metro are getting a mixture of Diesel and Tri-mode examples which will be very useful on the South Wales Coast route.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure these will be greatly looked forward to, along with the 70x and 80x units now being deployed around the country

• Like Like x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do you think they are a favourite with enthusiasts?
    Most enthusiasts would prefer a proper Loco Hauled train - like the Class 90s which work the line today
    And the Class 37s with Loco Hauled stock on the Wherry Lines.

I doubt these will be the Only trains on the Wherry Lines as I don't think there are enough being built

Peter

4. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

As part of the franchise agreement Greater anglia are replacing all of their existing stock with the exception of Class 379s. These trains will operate all of the branch line services as well the London to Norwich and Stansted Express services.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wivenswold

Well, I'm a member of several enthusiast's groups and they are already getting a lot of love. What makes you think "most enthusiasts would prefer a 'proper' loco hauled train?" Is a Class 90 push/pull a "real loco"? I'd argue not, being somewhat of a 1960s Diesel fan myself. You discount older rail fans who prefer steam and younger ones who mostly like modern trains.

There are 24 x 4 car, 14 x 3 car then the 20 x 12 car EMUs and with the exception of the odd GA Aventra on London to Norwich services, the Stadler Flirt will be the only type of train on GAs Suffolk and Norfolk routes, let alone just The Wherry Lines.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So a Class 90 is not a Real Loco? Is like saying a Push-Pull Branch train with a GWR 14xx was not a Real Loco.
    You obviously like these two new trains - the railway around Norfolk and Suffolk will get very Boring quite quickly.
    Glad I'm up North where we have 142, 150/1, 150/2, 153, 156, 158, 220, 221, 319, 323, 350, 390 to look at.

Peter

7. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

You’re comparing a GWR 14xx to a Class 90. That’s like comparing a Buick Series 40 to a Ford Focus. You mention you’re glad to have a Class 142 “to look at” rather than to ride on I assume. I think pacers have a lot of character but I’m sure most Northern commuters would happily trade in their buses for a modern BMMU that’s proved incredibly popular in the European market. I’m going to guess you’ve never been on a Flirt 3 before because I’d reckon a trip on one might change your mind. Trains aren’t just eye candy, the needs of the commuter should be placed before the needs of the Rail Enthusiast.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wivenswold

"Is a Class 90 push/pull a "real loco"? I'd argue not, being somewhat of a 1960s Diesel fan myself." I think my question is phrased well enough to acknowledge the subjectivity and the reasoning for any biased pejorative. Yes, I like the Stadler and I've been surprised how much attention and excitement they're generating round here. I'm not convinced there's any need for your somewhat supercilious pedagoguery. This is a discussion, there are no winners.

Yes, we're losing variety, but time waits for no-one. Given that diesel loco hauled passenger services were withdrawn in East Anglia in 1991, I'd say local fans have had a treat with the 37 & 68 hauled sets. For anyone missing the heterogeneity of the GA fleet with its short forms, standing room only, sweltering conditions and 2 hour service gaps due to multiple cancellations, there will always be Wherry Lines in TS.

But rail users in East Anglia deserve better and they're getting it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

From a Passengers point of view I think the new units should be very popular compared with the older Emu and Dmu trains that run today.
    But the real enthusiasts will miss the older trains

My local station which I use about 4 times a week will have a 142s, 150s, 156s & 319s on the services. depending on the direction my journey is going I will have one of these types of trains - more than likely a Dmu as the 319s are still being introduced.

I'm not quite sure how a Flirt 3 is different from the older variety. But I have travelled on Flirts in Hungary, Netherlands,Germany & Switzerland.

Any you are right "most Northern commuters would happily trade in their buses for a modern BMMU" but we are in the North so we won't see anything like that for a good number of years

Peter

10. ARuscoe

I always find it problematic when someone inserts the word "real" into a sentence to try to somehow prove superiority.
    People who are fans of new units are just that, fans of modern traction. People who are fans of older traction are just that, fans of older traction. I think the idea is a simple concept.

So dispense with the "real" and just settle on "we like different things, but they're both trains so it's all good and I'll see you in York"

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not trying to prove superiority or anything else.
    My opinion of what I call a "real" train might be different from yours but it's just my opinion.

12. ARuscoe

You didn't say real train, you said real enthusiast

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wivenswold

The new trains will attract a new generation of rail fans who will one day lament the passing of the Stadlers. They will be "real enthusiasts" as are older train fans who only like steam.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I consider myself an Older Enthusiast at 63 but I don't have enthusiasm for Steam - yes it's nice to look at but that is it.
    Give me an Electric or a Diesel any day. Coming from the Manchester area were were brought up on Electrics from the mid 1950s
    The nice part about being "Up North" is we won't see any of these Stadler units - our Bi-Modes are converted 319s

Peter

15. ARuscoe

You can have them. I have too many memories of them as cattle trucks on the BED-BRI Thameslink runs through London Bridge. Then again I can' stand the sound of the 700s that replaced them either...

• Like Like x 1