Drammen - Oslo - Oslo Airport, Norway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by piotrek2302, Feb 15, 2018.

1. piotrek2302

piotrek2302 Member

In Norway the most busy route is the Drammen - Oslo Airport section. Many local services run through this section but the main attraction of this section is the airport express train (flytoget) which runs between Drammen and Oslo Airport. Long distance trains bound for Trondheim and Bergen use this section as well.

Map of commuter trains
    [​IMG]

An interesting feature of the route are the bypass tunnels to allow faster trains to pass slower, winding sections. There are four bypass tunnels between Drammen - Oslo Airport between Asker - Sandvika, Sandvika - Lysaker and Oslo S and Lillestrøm.

Rolling stock
    The airport express uses the class 71 EMU capable of reaching 210 km/h, fastest in Norway, and has a simillar body with the class 73 EMU used on intercity services. The train runs on two lines, one direct between Oslo Central and the airport, and another one that begins at Drammen and stops at more stations along the way.
    [​IMG]
    The main train of this route would be the the Stadler FLIRT EMU in two versions, one regional version (class 74) and one local commuter version (class 75). The difference are that the local version has more capacity and less comfortable seats. It is currently the most numerous train set in the Oslo commuter network with 92 units in operation.
    [​IMG]
    The last passanger train set used on this line is the class 72 commuter EMU which runs on the Alna branch, which connects up to the main line at Lillestrøm and just before the Oslo central station. This train is only used on only one line (L1) in the Oslo area.
    [​IMG]
    As for freight operations, they are possible between the Alna train yard and the Drammen train yard as well as to the Drammen docks. Cargonet trains would then probably be used between those yards.
    The most numerous locomotive in Cargonet's fleet is the powerful El 14 electric locomotive, those would probably be used as cargo locomotives on the route. For shunting the Skd 226 shunter could be included.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Although not likely to be included, the El-18 can be seen pulling long distance trains to Trondheim and Bergen. This locomotive is based on the Swiss Re 460 locomotive and is the flagship of the NSB.
    [​IMG]

Points of interest
    Oslo Airport station
    [​IMG]
    Lillestrøm
    [​IMG]
    Alna rail yard
    [​IMG]
    Loenga Depot
    [​IMG]
    Oslo central station
    [​IMG]
    Nasjonalteatret
    [​IMG]
    Skøyen
    [​IMG]
    Lysaker
    [​IMG]
    Sandvika
    [​IMG]
    Asker
    [​IMG]
    Drammen
    [​IMG]

With this I hope that i have given a good sugestion for a future TSW route.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 32
  2. piotrek2302

piotrek2302 Member

Some extra information:
    Class 69 is an old EMU from 1971. It is the most common EMU on the Norwegian rail network and in Oslo is used on the L2 and L3 lines.
    [​IMG]
    If the route were to go southwards towards Ski or north towards Gjøvik then it would be probably included.

The class 70 is an intercity EMU used in southern Norway for regional services. It is used often on the Østfold line (R30).
    [​IMG]
    The class 73 EMU is the final train used around the Oslo area. It is used on intercity and long distance train routes. It replaced the class 70 in the intercity role.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

That Class 73 EMU has a unique look about it. I quite like it.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Stig

Stig New Member

Thank you so much for posting this, piotrek2302!

I've been riding a lot on this line myself, and I really enjoy it.
    I would love to see this route in TSW.

By the way, don't forget the "flydrivstofftoget" (Jet fuel train) that runs twice a day between Sjursøya and Oslo Airport.

[​IMG]

Normally they use a "Euro 4000" locomotive for this task, but it has happened that they have used Di8 as well:

(Not my video, and I don't take credit for it)

Brynsbakken (Bryns hill?) is very steep, so they need a helper engine to get up the hill.
    The helper engine is normally not coupled. Here's a video of the event:

It is Norways busiest railway line, with express passenger trains, local passenger trains, regional passenger trains, flytoget, flydrivstofftoget, freight trains, etc etc.

• Like Like x 11
  5. elatn

elatn Active Member

This route would be awesome to have in TSW! I'm tired of all the British, German and American routes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

We need this or sweden routes/trains

• Like Like x 2
  7. ryanrtw

ryanrtw New Member

Signed up to the Dovetail forums just to +1 this suggestion. This and Sweden - Denmark over the Øresund Bridge... PLEASE, DOVETAIL!

• Like Like x 5
  8. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

This is a TRUE DLC! DTG got to add it!

• Like Like x 2
  9. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

This route look nice!

• Like Like x 2
  10. pennine465

pennine465 Active Member

On yeah!

• Like Like x 2
  11. krisn

krisn New Member

Please make this route :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

This route has everything! express services, local and regional services and freight... +1 from me, would be a cool addition after all those American, British and German routes. I have travelled twice by plane to Oslo Airport, and took the train to Lillehammer both times, so I know a bit how this looks :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. Filbert

Filbert New Member

Ooh, I like the look of this one a lot! Make it so, Dovetail!

• Like Like x 1
  14. MarkusLiberty

MarkusLiberty Active Member

Hey, nice suggestion!

Just for your information, there’s a Norwegian/Scandinavian Train Sim community on Discord, you should all join us there. Here’s the invite link https://discord.gg/cBZC63g

We got a bit of a modding community as well, and some of us are working on Norwegian stock and hopefuly some routes once the editor is released, here's the Type 69 I'm working on, there's also someone working on a Nohab and a Di4, you can see all of that on our Discord

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  15. OlaHaldor

OlaHaldor Member

Signed up on the forum just to let you know; I've modeled the Flirt and El 18 already, though output in lower quality for a different game.
    They should be possible to upgrade a bit to fit the detail level required for TSW.

I even made a Vy livery for the Flirt already.
    (view render here)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. BjornGroen02NL

wasn't that the model for Transport Fever? It would be very cool to drive that thing through Oslo in TSW! Sadly enough will have to wait for the editor though...

17. euan.sweenie

euan.sweenie New Member

Why don’t you upload them to https://trainsimulator.no/country-tax/norway/ and then people can use them for train simulator 2019

18. euan.sweenie

euan.sweenie New Member

Hi I would love to have this route has somebody tried to make it yet. I would if I would know how.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BjornGroen02NL

We aren't yet able to make routes ourselves, so we have to ask DTG very kindly for that :)

20. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Looks interesting

• Like Like x 1
  21. euan.sweenie

euan.sweenie New Member

Hi again So I live in this small town called Kragerø in norway and there is this old abandoned railway which was in you up until the 1990s and is called Kragerøbanen and went from Kragerø to neslandsvaten which then connects to sørlandsbanen. It’s only small and would be cool if someone would make it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. euan.sweenie

euan.sweenie New Member

When are you able to make release these trains

23. MarkusLiberty

MarkusLiberty Active Member

At the moment we can't release or really make anything as we don't have the tools available

• Like Like x 1
  24. euan.sweenie

euan.sweenie New Member

Is there any news on this route