Locomotive Pack Proposal: 50s And Early 60s Western Hydraulics

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by 52_Western, Feb 22, 2018.

?
  1. I would love that SO much!!

64.0%
  2. I'd certainly like it.

32.0%
  3. I wouldn't mind it.

4.0%
  4. Just one of them. (please specify why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

[​IMG]
    (Image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8364134873 D6320 seen here at Gloucester Horton Road, on the 25th of November, 1969)

What are they?

They are BR Classes 41 and 43 nicknamed 'Warship', and the BR Class 22 nicknamed 'Baby Warship'.
    These three British locos are diesel-hydraulic locomotives mainly used in the western region of England.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/7915674910 BR Class 43 Nº 857 seen here at Paddington in October 1971)

Why these?
    I really like the 50s-60s British Diesel-Hydraulic locomotives from the western region, and I think these ones (the Class 41, Class 43 and Class 22) get the least attention, and I think they should invert that lack of attention by re-creating them for Train Simulator. I know, it's hard to find any resource images to make a model of them from (e.g. a cab view image), but I have found a website where there's a picture of the Class 22's cab:
    http://www.dawlishtrains.com/cabs-loco-class-21-46.html

[​IMG]
    (Image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/32978671@N08/12882785783 A Class 41 'Warship', numbered D600 seen here at Plymouth, in June 1967)

Can I have more info about these?
    Sure you can. All three locomotives were built by the North British Locomotive Co., and each Class 41 or 43 (or 42) were monikered 'Warship' as their names were ones of British Warships, (except for D800 and D812, which were both Class 42s) thus 'WARSHIP CLASS' was the subtitle of each 'Warship' locomotive. None of these exist anymore, they've all been scrapped. A Class 22, D6319 was to be preserved, but was accidentally scrapped as well. First is the Class 41 'Warship', as seen in the picture above and below.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/416442296782754915/ The same loco as above, D600 (BR Class 41 'Warship') in BR All-Green livery, pulling the 'The Royal Duchy' train)

~ THE LOCOMOTIVES:

- BR CLASS 41 'WARSHIP' -
    The BR Class 41 was built in Glasgow during 1957 and 1958. Even though they were withdrawn before TOPS was introduced, BR classified them as Class 41. The Class 41 was ordered by the BTC (British Transport Commission) as direct comparison with the BR Class 40, and were not actually wanted by the Western Region, who preferred their D800 'Warship' production fleet. The Class 41s were the result of power politics within the British Transport Commission and Western Region. BTC was unwilling to sanction radical, stressed-skin lightweight construction locomotives at the time, while the Western Region was equally insistent that at least some type of the new Type 4 power range locos on order be equipped with hydraulic transmission. The Class 41 was much heavier than production Warships, weighing almost 120 long tons, compared to 80 long tons. The Class 41 contained two lightweight high-revving diesel engines, coupled to hydraulic transmissions, unlike other diesels, which had one large slow-revving diesel engine and electric generator set. Because of this, they were practically obsolete in design terms before they had left the drawing board, for good.

[​IMG]
    (Image source: http://project22society.co.uk/history/ Here we see two Class 22 diesels (D6320 and D6331) standing in a depot in Gloucester)

- BR CLASS 22 'BABY WARSHIP' -
    The BR Class 22 was built between 1959 and 1962, and its moniker 'Baby Warship' was related to the appearance (internal & external) was similar to the Class 41 'Warship'. But externally, they were even more similar to the NBL-built Class 21 which later became Class 29. Most of the 'Baby Warships' operated in the West of England, pulling passenger and freight trains. All of the Class 22s that have a headcode, have a Split Headcode. Unlike the Class 43 and 42 'Warships', its cab door is at the same level as the side windows are, rather than having the door much lower, allowing steps to be present inside of the cab. ■

[​IMG]
    (Image source: http://railphotoprints.uk/p626348739/h5B39CAE D838 (BR Class 43 'Warship') seen here at Exeter St. Davids, hauling a passenger train)

- BR CLASS 43 'WARSHIP' -
    The BR Class 43 'Warship' looks almost identical to the Swindon-built Class 42 'Warship', though mechanically, it isn't. The Class 42 'Warship' had dual Maybach engines connected to Mekydro hydraulic transmissions, whereas the Class 43 'Warship' had dual MAN L12V18/21B engines, connected to Voith transmissions. The Class 42 and 43 'Warships' are derived from the original DB Class V200 diesel-hydraulic locomotive. In service, the NBL-built Class 43s were less reliable than the Swindon-built Class 42s. Mild steel had been used for the exhaust manifolds, and due to that, they were likely to fracture. Not only had this caused a loss of exhaust pressure to power the turbochargers, but also the cabs got rapidly filled with the exhaust fumes. The MAN-built engines used by the German V200, had nickel-resist steel manifolds and were far less cumbersome. Despite all this, the Class 43 covered a far greater annual mileage than the other Type 4 diesels, like the other diesel-hydraulic Class 52 'Western', the Class 45 'Peak' and the Brush Type 4, also known as the Class 47. ■

MINI-F.A.Q.:

Why the Class 43 if we already have the Class 42, which looks identical to the 43?
    If it's identical to the 42, the existing 42 can be duplicated and just a few tiny bits of the model/textures have to be adapted, and apart from that, we'd need only the sounds for the 43.

How will this Add-On/these Add-Ons be presented??
    I'd say just as a second Western Hydraulics pack, which, just as the first one, would feature 3 Western Region diesel-hydraulic locomotives, and maybe some Mk1s to go with them, and you'd be good to go.

LAST NOTE:
    I think driving these on the 50s Riviera line (or even as a fictional scenario on the modern one!) would be an absolute charm, hearing those engines, operating those controls, turning those wheels, and sounding those horns... Probably everyone likes that. I certainly would. ■

And... where do we come in?
    Ah, yes, almost forgot. What about you? Would you want to clank down the Riviera line in one of those old diesel-hydraulics? Leave your thoughts in the comments! Don't forget to use the poll above this article!

Thank you for reading this proposal, I hope you liked it!

- 52_Western

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the media shown here, nor do I claim to. All media belongs to their rightful owners. I just put them in here for illustration purposes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  2. waugh24

waugh24 New Member

Fantastic suggestion. It would complete the Western hydraulic "set" and the Class 41 would be awesome to drive (looked great in BR Blue).

• Like Like x 3
  3. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Class 52 Western, so all these locos related to them sound and look as interesting! Nice suggestion and nice post overall. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

They were ugly but that is part of their charm. As a fan of the early diesels/diesel-hydraulics so these would be a good addition. Especially in their weathered condition. Good post BTW.

• Like Like x 5
  5. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Thanks so much, guys! :D
    Very much appreciated!

(Sorry I'm late, the Dovetail forums gave me an error for the past half year.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trains4Days

Trains4Days New Member

I would love to see more hydraulic locos to run along the Western Region

• Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. nickglanf

nickglanf New Member

Would also like to see these two first generation diesels released . Class 22 Pack and Class 41 Pack. Would fit in well on the 50’s Rivera Route and the Falmouth Branch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

The scenarios which come with the hydraulic pack are all on the riviera 50s route

• Like Like x 1
  10. nickglanf

nickglanf New Member

Class 22 ‘s & the Class 41 were earlier Diesel Hydraulic locos, than Class 35, 42 & 52 Hydraulic locomotives. The Class 22 & 41 are not available on TS at the present time. But would fit in well in a late 50’s time period also the correct region.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trains4Days

Trains4Days New Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

13. ARuscoe

Probably a typo from my end... It's the Hymek

• Like Like x 1
  14. 52_Western

52_Western Active Member

Ah I see.
    Yeah, that's the 35. ;)
    But yes, what you said in your previous post is true! :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019