Tsw Route Proposal - Tees Valley Line / Bishop Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AyrtonS8, Mar 11, 2018.

1. AyrtonS8

AyrtonS8 Well-Known Member

TSW Route Proposal - Tees Valley Line / Bishop Line
    In this route proposal, I will be proposing the Tees Valley Line/Bishop Line to be made for Train Sim World.

The Route
    The Tees Valley Line, recently re-named to the Bishop Line, is a route in the North East of England, United Kingdom. The whole line is 40 miles in length and runs between Bishop Auckland in the West and Saltburn in the East, via Darlington and Middlesbrough. There is a variety of scenery along this route that can be seen; Large towns/cities of Darlington and Middlesbrough, quiet villages of Dinsdale and Heighington, and the seaside towns of Redcar and Saltburn. I think this small paragraph by Northern Trains sums up this route - "This area of the North East is known as the Cradle of the Railways. Much of the line between Bishop Auckland and Saltburn follows the original Stockton and Darlington Railway, the beginning of the modern railway system. The line takes you to the busy market towns like Bishop Auckland and Darlington, pretty villages such as Heighington and Dinsdale, and the beautiful seaside resorts of Redcar, Marske and Saltburn".

The stations on this route listed from Bishop Auckland to Saltburn are;
    - Bishop Auckland
    - Shildon
    - Newton Aycliffe
    - Heighington
    - North Road
    - Darlington
    - Dinsdale
    - Tees-side Airport
    - Allens West
    - Eaglescliffe
    - Thornaby
    - Middlesbrough
    - South Bank
    - British Steel Redcar
    - Redcar Central
    - Redcar East
    - Longbeck
    - Marske
    - Saltburn

Here are a few images of the stations on the route -

Bishop Auckland Station
    [​IMG]

Darlington Station
    [​IMG]

Eaglescliffe Station
    [​IMG]

Middlesbrough Station
    [​IMG]

Redcar Central Station
    [​IMG]

Saltburn Station
    [​IMG]

Apart from just passenger services, the route includes Tees freight yard at Middlesbrough and lots of factories and docks between Middlesbrough and Redcar. This means that you will see lots of freight trains along this route going to and from Tees Yard and the factories and docks. So this means that players will have a freight option in this pack, which is adding more variety in pack.

There are a number of iconic places/buildings to keep an eye out for on this route. Here are just a few of them;

Locomotion NRM Shildon -
    The National Railway Museum at Shildon is a very popular railway museum in the North East. It is home to some big name locos such as the LNER Green Arrow steam train and Prototype Deltic.
    [​IMG]

Durham Tees Valley Airport - Tees-side Airport station is right next to Durham Tees Valley Airport. At this station you will be able to see the airport runway in the distance and air planes taking off and landing. Tees-side Airport station is also classed as Britain's loneliest station as very few people use the station.
    [​IMG]

Newport Bridge - When driving/travelling on the train in the Middlesbrough area, you will be able to see one of the most iconic bridges over the River Tees, Newport Bridge.
    [​IMG]

Riverside Stadium - The line runs close to Middlesbrough Football Clubs stadium named Riverside Stadium. You can see the stadium very clearly when travelling past. The trains can very busy on a match day and sometimes get over crowded.
    [​IMG]

So we have looked at the main route of the proposed pack and things that could be seen on the route. To stop this route pack of being just 1 line you can explore on, we will now look at what extra parts could be added to the route to help add a little bit more variety of services to drive and route to explore;

Extension from Eaglescliffe to Northallerton - The line from Eaglescliffe to Northallerton, via Yarm, is 15 miles long. If the route extension and TransPennine Express Class 185 is made for the route, you will be able to drive services from Middlesbrough all the way to Northallerton instead of just to Eaglescliffe. This would add a bit more variety of services to drive as the Class 185 would be more of a faster express style service to drive on the route. Also Northallerton would be an extra ECML station included in the route.

Extension from Thornaby to Hartlepool -
    The line from Thornaby to Hartlepool is 14 miles long and the included stations along that section are Stockton, Billingham, Seaton Carew and Hartlepool. There are proposals and thoughts that Northern will be running direct services between Hartlepool and Darlington via Eaglescliffe meaning that passengers will not have to change trains at Thornaby. Northern currently do this on Sundays where there are a couple of services running direct between Hartlepool and Darlington but they are apparently looking at adding more during the week. So by adding the line into the pack, it means more services can be added into the pack in the future if this is the case.
    Another reason to add this extension is so that more freight train services can be added. Lots of freight trains run on that line coming from the Sunderland and Newcastle area heading towards Middlesbrough via Hartlepool.

Extension from Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe - This is a little extension that I think should not be left out. This extension from Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe is only 5 miles long but includes 4 stations which are; James Cook University Hospital, Marton, Gypsy Lane and Nunthorpe. This route extension is part of the Esk Valley Line from Middlesbrough to Whitby. Services from Newcastle sometimes continue further than Middlesbrough and head down to Nunthorpe and end there instead of terminating at Middlesbrough. This means that people tend to use the train when going to James Cook Hospital when they don't travel by car. So by adding this extension, which sounds small but will make a big difference, will add a lot more passenger services to drive.

So they are just a few extensions to the main route which could be considered.

Trains
    So now that we have looked into the route, what trains should be included to run on the route?

Class 142 'Pacer' - This is the main train that runs services along the Tees Valley line/Bishop Line. The Class 142 Pacer is a diesel multiple unit (DMU) made up of 2 coaches. They are commonly seen in the North of England. British Rail Engineering Limited built these trains and 96 units were built. These trains are based on the Leyland National bus. The Class 142 Pacer are to be out of service by the end of 2019 so I think it is important to get this train into TSW before they are gone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Class 156 'Super Sprinter' - This train is sometimes seen doing Bishop Auckland and Saltburn services but not as much as the Pacer. The Class 156 is a DMU made up of 2 coaches and were made by Metro Cammell. 114 sets were built between 1987 and 1989. The new Arriva Northern livery, that you can see in the image below, have been added onto the Class 156s but not on the Class 142s. The Class 142s still hold the old Northern livery but have been unbranded.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Class 66 - The Class 66 is a diesel electric freight locomotive and were built by Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD). The Class 66 is included in this pack in EWS livery to provide the freight option. Class 66s are seen quite frequently on the route, mainly in the Middlesbrough area at Tees Yard. A wide variety of freight cars are seen at Tees Yard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are the 3 main trains/locos that should be included in the pack. The 2 passenger trains and freight train with a variety of freight wagons to pull is a nice pack of trains to include on the route in my opinion. Is there any other additional stock to include in the route, especially if any of the 2 bigger route expansion options are made? I think so.

Class 185 - The Class 185 is a DMU built by Siemens and are currently owned by Transpennine Express. They run services from Middlesbrough to Manchester and if they are included in the route you will be able to drive them from Middlesbrough to Northallerton if the extension from Eaglescliffe to Northallerton is made.
    [​IMG]

Class 43 'HST' - The Class 43 is the power car of the HST (High Speed Train) and they were made by British Rail Engineering Limited from 1975 to 1982. If the extension from Thornaby to Hartlepool is made, I would like to see the HST included in Grand Central livery. Grand Central run services from Sunderland to London so if its included with the extension to Hartlepool, you can see and drive it on the section from Hartlepool to Eaglescliffe and maybe even Northallerton if that section is made as well.
    [​IMG]

So they are just a couple of extra stock that could be included in the route.

That's the end of my proposal article. I think this would be a nice route to see in TSW. Its not too long as the routes made for TSW so far are not massive and includes a variety of different trains and scenery along the route. Comment below as to weather you think this would be a good route to have in TSW or not.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 23
  2. crodgersz

crodgersz New Member

Hi i totally agree but more could be put into Train Simulator 2018. If it came out for TS1 then it would be good also which is my preferred thing as TSW is a bit resource hungry. Middlesbrough is my home town and have found memories of going to saltburn via redcar on the train. It should be set in the same time also as Derek's weardale and teasdale line as it would make a good extension of his route. Redcar Station used to only have one platform with an overall awning much like bishop auckland in the early 1980's. Running the line upto Battersby would'nt do any halm either or perhaps boulby potash mine. Also a missed opportunity is the steel, cement and chemical plants between middlesbrough and redcar... Just think of the freight opportunities if this route was produced it would be amazing!.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AyrtonS8

Yes that is a good idea. I believe they mentioned in the Weardale Teesdale stream/video before it was released talking about the route being made, that they were thinking of taking it to Middlesbrough and Saltburn but they opted for Durham instead I believe. Might have to go re-watch it. The only problem I think is that Weardale Teesdale is already a big route and that I think there are other routes in need of a extension more than Weardale Teesdale.

The reason I proposed this for TSW is that I would like to see a route in the North of England in TSW rather than another one in the South of England. I feel TS1 has much more content based in the South of England over the North and would really not want to see that repeated in TSW.
    Plus I also want to see a Pacer in TSW ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Yes, we definitely need to see more of the North of England in Train Sim World, most TS1 routes were centred around London. I think the main problem with TS1 was that Dovetail Games didn't have a license with Serco-Abellio Northern Rail. Now that it is operated by Arriva, Dovetail will hopefully be able to get a license.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DictatorDono

DictatorDono Member

What stock will run on the line after 2020? Is it similar to the Durham Coast where we are getting refurbished 158s and 156s, or will it get the new CAF units?

Also, hopefully we can better link routes up in TSW - it'd be nice to extend my future metro route to Newcastle station down to Northallerton, though my scene is mostly electric units. Maybe a route to York :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. DPSimulation

DPSimulation Active Member

Refurbished 158's.

Good suggestion for a route as well Ayrton58, one very close to my interest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. AyrtonS8

Thank you. I proposed this route to be made as it seems to fit into the style of routes Dovetail are making at the moment for TSW. Not too long but includes a variety of trains/services to drive, ie Passenger and Freight. Plus its an opportunity for a Pacer to be made as I really want to see the Pacer in TSW :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marshallham

Marshallham New Member

I really would love to see the Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe line on train simulator. I grew up travelling this line and I would love to drive it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It would be remiss of me not to suggest you add Darlington Railway Centre and Museum (a.k.a. Darlington Head of Steam Museum) to the list of places to look out for on this route. It's housed in North Road Station which was built by the Stockton and Darlington Railway and a stones throw from the A1 Steam Trust, Darlington Railway Preservation Society, North East Locomotive Preservation Group and the North Eastern Railway Association.

(Does the publicity really say it takes you to the village of Heighington? Heighington Station is a good couple of miles from the village itself!)

• Like Like x 2
  10. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

[​IMG]

found in the game files

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. AyrtonS8

Well if that's anything to go by, if they are making it then I guess they are not including the bit from Darlington to Bishop Auckland which is disappointing. The whole route from Bishop Auckland to Saltburn is 40 Miles which isn't massive in terms of TSW route lengths.

12. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

we agree, think its what 27 miles? also, it includes the yard at Middlesborough which whenever I see it IRL is FULL of wagons - cant wait to see it empty in game ;)

gotta wait though - it might not be the next route, it might have a branch line....it might not even be modern era. 27 miles though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AyrtonS8

No matter what route it is, if its not modern era I think a lot of people will be disappointed. The previous 2 UK routes have been Heritage and BR Blue. They also did not get any freight stock, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tees Yard in the route was empty. But 27 miles, it will be like driving West Somerset Railway at a higher speed, lol.

The next route will be American, then its the UKs turn. But I have a feeling it will be a UK electrified line.

14. JJTimothy

Hah!
    Not much faster. It would be great to see a route like The Weardale and Teesdale Network in TSW and the County Durham and Yorkshire coast lines offer a lot of scope for something like that. If there are plans for just the one line to Saltburn though one can at least hope they'll take it to Boulby to justify some freight operation.

15. AyrtonS8

I do like Weardale Teesdale as a route DLC and I think its one of the best there is. I am just not a fan of the era though. I do like running steam on it though when I am in the mood to drive some steam trains. Network style routes are good and this route proposal includes possible extensions.

In terms of freight on this route proposal though, this image of RealTime Trains just shows how much freight services/operations there is at South Bank between 12:00 and 18:00. There is a lot more before 12:00 and after 18:00 so there isn't a lack of freight.
    upload_2019-4-22_13-36-2.png
    Boulby will be interesting though to explore if it was included. :)

16. JJTimothy

The W&T is my favourite route and I do like driving the Diesels around but it does nicely represent any period from Nationalization to the start of Corporate Blue when the lines started closing so there's every excuse to run steam. Turn a blind eye to some of the signs and posters and you could pretend it was the inter-wars period.
    There's more local freight than I thought but much of it doesn't appear to be going either to or from anywhere on Darlo' to Saltburn. The route as you propose it would certainly be much more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Well... IDK if it has anything to do with this suggestion, but it does look like this route IS in development for TSW! (at least most of it is)

18. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

Well, It's happening.

• Like Like x 2
  19. raildan

Mostly... looks like a different era and maybe not the whole length of the route to Bishop Auckland, although it's probably best to wait until properly announced to call that one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FrankieAbbott

FrankieAbbott Member

This route would be pure nostalgia for me as I'm from the Teesside area. Is it deffo happening? I didn't think that there would be another northern area line DLC so soon after Trans Pennine.

21. AyrtonS8

Looks like its happening but not modern era. Only one clue so far which looks like the Saltburn area and leads to it being set in 1989.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  22. jamesj015

jamesj015 New Member

It's just been announced!! Your dream is coming true

23. AyrtonS8

Yeah I guess. There's no Pacers though. They are just reusing the Class 101.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

I can't believe you've made such a detailed suggestion for a route, it was made out of thousands of other suggestions, yet you are unhappy because there are no pacers :)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  25. raildan

Wait, so DTG made this route because of this suggestion? Cool!

Gotta say... the Pacers are kinda important here, but IMO it's mainly a freight show anyway, and the rolling stock selection for that seems like a great choice.

(I'm sure there will be a class 143 DLC eventually, too)

• Like Like x 1
  26. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be able to know haha :) But devs read suggestions, so who knows!

27. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Congratulations for the second (I may be wrong) ever suggestion to make to Train Sim World. If it was made based off your suggestion,then that means DTG is actually listening to us.

• Like Like x 1
  28. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Could be the fifth one:
    • Long Island Rail Road has long been requested for TS1 and TSW
    • There was a Trans-Pennine route proposal which may have inspired Northern Trans-Pennine
    • The DB BR 182 was suggested when Rapid Transit was announced
    • The BR Class 52 was suggested when West Somerset Railway was announced
    Though these may have been decided without the suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

So DTG actually listens to us. Good to know.

30. AyrtonS8

To me the Pacer was a big part of the proposal for the route. Its the main train that runs on that line, even today. If my proposal played a part in this DLC, then great! Unfortunately though I don't really have a big interest in historic routes but I was still somewhat looking forward to it as I was hoping that the stock was something I would like to see. The Class 37 seems like a good choice but not too interested in the Gronk and Class 101.

I am trying to not sound ungrateful, because I am not. I wouldn't be surprised though if people on here were to say I am. At first I thought this new DLC would be the one to get me really on-board TSW and maybe it still can.

Hopeful for a Pacer in the future as an add-on though ;)

• Like Like x 4
  31. raildan

I like historic routes, but I still definitely agree about the pacer... really a shame. I'm probably going to buy it anyway for the freight, though.

Also, small note, the 08 fits perfectly, IDK why that's a problem. Even if the route was "modern" I would have expected them to do what they did with the German routes and actually set it a bit earlier so they could include more switching opportunities since the steel mill was open.

Also, the 3 car 101 really makes no sense on the line. If they did the 143, they could have the more sensible 2 car 101 substitute in from NTP.

• Like Like x 2
  32. AyrtonS8

I don't have a issue with the 08 in the DLC and I kinda thought the Gronk from WSR could of been included in this route in another livery. I just don't have any excitement for the Gronk, let alone the 101. Kinda interested to see how good the Class 37 is though, especially since AP have released a pretty good 37 for TS1 and Just Trains have one in the works.

As for the 3 car 101, I feel they just made it a 3 car so that it wasn't identical to the NTP 101. I wonder if there will be a mix of 2 car and 3 car 101s in the route, maybe randomised.

• Like Like x 1